Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Just looked at his wikipedia page, is someone having a laugh with the below line
    In 2005, Reid began his second job working for Eircom as an underground cable jointer and later qualified as a technician.

So in a mere 15 years he went from the above to being the best paid public servant in the country (350k p.a.) in an organisation of over 100k employees which needs a massive amount of reform. I don't know whether to be impressed or appalled.

AFAIK he was highly thought of when CE of Fingal County Council, his most recent job before the HSE. However there is clearly a world of difference between those two roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It's the working class Dublin accent that annoys you the most

Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How is this man who didn't graduate secondary school
    He did his Inter Cert, and then got an apprenticeship with Eircom at 16. I doubt many kids would do their Leaving Cert in Finglas back then!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Polar101 wrote: »
    317 in hospitals and 37 in ICU - in the north. Almost identical numbers with the Republic.

But basically the equivalent of 950 in hospital here and 110 in ICU, so NI is basically at exactly our April peak already. Despite similar case loads, means they are missing a lot of cases that we are not, or else vulnerable northern irish people are not isolating as much as southerners

• Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Just looked at his wikipedia page, is someone having a laugh with the below line

So in a mere 15 years he went from the above to being the best paid public servant in the country (350k p.a.) in an organisation of over 100k employees which needs a massive amount of reform. I don't know whether to be impressed or appalled.

AFAIK he was highly thought of when CE of Fingal County Council, his most recent job before the HSE. However there is clearly a world of difference between those two roles.

Conveniently left out this bit;
    By the time he left Eircom in 2010, he was Executive Director of Networks and Operations.

He didn't exactly go straight from splicing cables to management in the HSE.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Anyone know what our 14-day incidence rate now stands at?

307.5 per 100k of population

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Pay monkeys get peanuts

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

bb1234567 wrote: »
    But basically the equivalent of 950 in hospital here and 110 in ICU, so NI is basically at exactly our April peak already. Despite similar case loads, means they are missing a lot of cases that we are not, or else vulnerable northern irish people are not isolating as much as southerners

They are still at 20% positivity

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭costacorta

Doesn't mean we should try to emulate them.

But you just said it wouldn’t happen in any other country ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Anyone seen the recent tweets from Gardai twitter showing closed off clothing sections?

It is quite incredible what we have allowed happen in this country

Literally our law enforcement putting out propaganda boasting they have shut down places selling clothing in late autumn

How did we let this happen?

Are we that brain washed? It is really scary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭robbiezero

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    I think people are going to hit the road anyway no matter what Teflon Holohan says

I definitely will be anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭circadian

I dont know if this has been mentioned before, but where my relatives live near the border, Tinder has been running as normal. Young and not so young going over and back to Strabane and Derry and vice versa. Its hard to police that when there are approx 12 ways to cross the border in that region.

If you were from Derry you'd know this isn't true at all. Majella down the street knows all your goings on and it'd be all over facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Anyone seen the recent tweets from Gardai twitter showing closed off clothing sections?

Literally our law enforcement putting out propaganda boasting they have shut down places selling clothing in late autumn

The Gardai didn't shut them down, they were checking compliance. Nice try though.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

I didn't see the tweet but I don't know whats different now with this lockdown than the last one that they can't sell clothes plus not all people can shop online..this seems very wrong..surely warm clothes are essential..especially baby kids clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭jackboy

Why will the government not listen to Dr Martin Feeley, whose article 'manniot2' linked on this thread in post 5372.

One interesting thing Feeley said, all this waiting for a vaccine which may reduce the death rate from about 0.25% to about 0.125%.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Shock and horror. The Gardaí are checking on compliance with government health rules. You'd also complain if they didn't.

You obviously vehemently oppose the latest restrictions but we just have to get on with it - nobody's enjoying this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭political analyst

People who are saying our restrictions are extreme may have a point if it wasn't surging in several countries across Europe, including hospitalizations and ICU admissions. But it is, so our cautious approach has so far been proven right. But it will all be for naught if the government/ HSE don't get their **** together in the meantime.

That's what the HSE's winter plan is for.

Witcher wrote: »
    The Gardai didn't shut them down, they were checking compliance. Nice try though.

Nice try? I dont get this?

I think it's crazy that we are letting such draconian moves on our basic freedoms and rights go unchecked

I dont understand why we are being stopped from purchasing clothing in shops. I never thought I would see the day and I am shocked there isn't more outrage about it.

Did you ever think you would see the Gardai posting on Twitter about enforcement and closing off stalls selling socks and boxers in a shop.

Its bonkers and most seem accepting of it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Are the kids halloween costumes closed off too?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Stheno wrote: »
    307.5 per 100k of population

With huge variation regionally and locally.
    My LEA is >800

• Advertisement

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    With huge variation regionally and locally.
    My LEA is >800

Some LEAs are so small that they can rise and fall very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,631 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Absolute zero social distancing in Parks in Dublin today, Like a summer bank holiday and most of the bigger groups of 4 & 5 where people in there 40s up
    Out for a run and i was actually shocked at the numbers around

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭political analyst

I've just linked this case on my thread about legal challenges to Covid restrictions here on this forum.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/business/companies/arid-40063538.html

Absolute zero social distancing in Parks in Dublin today, Like a summer bank holiday and most of the bigger groups of 4 & 5 where people in there 40s up

Were the older people not cowering away from everybody and throwing themselves in the buses out of fear at approaching people, as reported here earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Beacause this is a fact
    Covid is the new Religion, bit like the Catholic Church and we must all obey

Tony = Pope
    Government = Bishops
    Guards = Priests

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MOR316

Shocked at people out living their lives and making the best of things?

Yeah, it's a drag alright...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Harpon

Witcher wrote: »
    Conveniently left out this bit;

He didn't exactly go straight from splicing cables to management in the HSE.

So in the space of 5 years he went from cable jointer to executive director, just doesn’t seem plausible.

Risk of spread outdoors is very low. The big fanfare about busy parks and the likes is bizarre

The chance of people catching covid from each while going for a walk in the park on a breezy sunny October day is incredibly low

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

costacorta wrote: »
    But you just said it wouldn’t happen in any other country ??

I'm not the OP?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,715 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement