Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,631 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I was shocked at the numbers out
    Not because of covid because it was as busy as a sunmer day it was actually crazy, Forgetting about Covid it was just surprising as the park was empty last while

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Not because of covid because it was as busy as a sunmer day it was actually crazy, Forgetting about Covid it was just surprising as the park was empty last while

Where else do you expect people to meet up?
    There is nowhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭prunudo

Absolute zero social distancing in Parks in Dublin today, Like a summer bank holiday and most of the bigger groups of 4 & 5 where people in there 40s up
    Out for a run and i was actually shocked at the numbers around

Thats what happens when they close so many amenities and expect everyone to stay within a small radius. It happened last time and it will happen next time. What amazes me is that they don't understand human behaviours when they come up with these restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

That's what the HSE's winter plan is for.

IMO haven't been exactly overwhelmingly supportive of it. I guess the proof will be in the pudding, the improvement in public health resourcing will be critical.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Stheno wrote: »
    Where else do you expect people to meet up?
    There is nowhere else
    Exactly. Would we prefer if they were all meeting up in their homes?

We should be encouraging people to get outside. There's some risk of transmission, but they're not going to infect their entire family and friends the same way as an indoor meetup might.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

Should be a spoiler warning for kids

Yes sorry about that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MOR316

Talk of viruses aside, this is actually a lot of people's most favourite time of year and it's been noticeable since the rise of Social Media. It's not isolated to just this year, it's been this way for as long as I remember!

People love their Autumn evening walks and the colours etc.

It's one of the reasons why I'll be travelling over Christmas, despite any restrictions! I love my winter walks along the sea and seeing the festive lights. I look forward to it all year round!

Government and NPHET can **** off with any travel restrictions they have in place, I will not be conforming! And anyone else who has a problem with that, they can also **** off with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭aziz

prunudo wrote: »
    Thats what happens when the close many amenities and expect everyone to stay within a small radius. It hapoened last time and it will happen next time. What amazes me is that they don't understand human behaviours when they come up with these restrictions.

It’s because they are not thinking of us being humans,all we are now are cases and casualties

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

I see the assorted anti-vaxers, deniers, minimizers and right wing fruitcakes have moved on from 'mental health' and 'the economy' to unrelenting 'childish name calling', 'character assassination', 'shooting the messenger' and 'science denial'.

Europe has four times the daily reported rate of the first wave, 8 countries have surpassed one million reported cases and the pandemic is accelerating with almost half a million new cases every day and over 1.1 million reported deaths so far... It's like talking to flat earthers... They refuse to see what is going on in the real world around them and live in some imaginary parallel universe.

Jesus wept...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Cases exploding in France.

A new record 52,010 new cases today and 116 deaths. A Sunday too...

Similar story in Italy with a new record there and 128 deaths.

This coming week is likely to see a significant increase in fatalities according to health officials in France.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,757 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Puritan-advocating extremist view in this post.

It's so bizarre how all the extremist nutjobs come out in this thread, using covid as an excuse to spout such sh1te.

Threadbanned

This coming week is likely to see a significant increase in fatalities according to health officials in France.

I know you mean well, but such information is hardly relevant to Ireland and only serves to create unnecessary fear and discord.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

I dont know if this has been mentioned before, but where my relatives live near the border, Tinder has been running as normal. Young and not so young going over and back to Strabane and Derry and vice versa. Its hard to police that when there are approx 12 ways to cross the border in that region.

Kinky.

I know you mean well, but such information is hardly relevant to Ireland and only serves to create unnecessary fear and discord.

Sorry but how is it not relevant to Ireland, the virus dynamics are the same in Ireland as it is in France and serves as a reminder that it is still as potent as it was in spring.

ETA: I can only imagine people were saying the same thing about China before it infiltrated Europe and look what happened there...

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭aziz

All these countries had it bad first time around but came out of restrictions a lot faster than we did,

• Administrators Posts: 53,527 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I see the assorted anti-vaxers, deniers, minimizers and right wing fruitcakes have moved on from 'mental health' and 'the economy' to unrelenting 'childish name calling', 'character assassination', 'shooting the messenger' and 'science denial'.

Europe has four times the daily reported rate of the first wave, 8 countries have surpassed one million reported cases and the pandemic is accelerating with almost half a million new cases every day and over 1.1 million reported deaths so far... It's like talking to flat earthers... They refuse to see what is going on in the real world around them and live in some imaginary parallel universe.

Jesus wept...

This is a totally meaningless statistic. The numbers from the first wave are not reliable, you cannot compare. The number of actual cases during the first wave was likely many multiples of the reported cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Cases in France rising everyday, of course its relevant, more so to show that Ireland is not dealing with this as badly as some on here would have you believe

Cases in France rising everyday, of course its relevant, more so to show that Ireland is not dealing with this as badly as some on here would have you believe

And also justifies our proactive approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

It is totally relevant, just across the water and there is still strong sentiment on here and in the Irish public that our restrictions have gone too far and have been wasteful given there was no explosion in hospital admissions here(because the rapid growth of cases was halted). Next week France will likely be seeing over 250-300 deaths daily, Belgium probably over 100 a day, think it might dawn on them then that our restrictions were not over the top but appropriate and implemented in a very timely manner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

About same as NI then

They had France equivalent of 50,000 cases and 250 deaths few days ago

• Advertisement

bb1234567 wrote: »
    It is totally relevant, just across the water and there is still strong sentiment on here and in the Irish public that our restrictions have gone too far and have been wasteful given there was no explosion in hospital admissions here(because the rapid growth of cases was halted). Next week France will likely be seeing over 250-300 deaths daily, Belgium probably over 100 a day, think it might dawn on them then that our restrictions were not over the top but appropriate and implemented in a very timely manner

Indeed.

Belgium, France, Netherlands, Italy, Spain, Czech Republic...are all back in a crisis now.

Being proactive is the best way to avoid that fate here at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Hmmm, don't think le frog's angle is to show how well we are doing :rolleyes:

mcburns07 wrote: »

We are doing reasonably well by comparison to the neighbors :cool:

52k at 17% positivity, they have alot of cases

The situation is looking increasingly serious in Belgium, hospital admissions - 590 were admitted to hospital yesterday alone.

ElKfw7PWMAEnzBJ?format=jpg&name=medium

https://twitter.com/DarrenEuronews/status/1320294209576980481

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Can I travel over 5km to pick up a take away?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

The "angle" is to show it needs to be kept in check, and not be lightly dismissed. The same posts were made in Jan/Feb and again dismissed as scare-mongering by many.

When people are still planning their trips abroad, it's good to know that the virus exists in other places, so that if they want to risk bringing it back, it's just through selfishness and not ignorance.

It would be nice if the gov't paid attention and imposed some restrictions on travel.

Just as we can't bury our heads in the sand because the virus isn't in our neighbourhood or town, we also can't bury our heads in the sand and get complacent when the numbers in Ireland go down.

You can't say "Well, Donegal is f*cked, but we're fine in Cork - it'll never make its way down here."

Of course

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Polar101

Thierry12 wrote: »
    About same as NI then

They had France equivalent of 50,000 cases and 250 deaths few days ago

52k cases in France is equivalent to 4k cases in here - I don't think we would get that many cases here, but if we did, I'd say it would shut down most non-covid health services.

I feel very strongly that we can't afford to "shut down" (non-covid) health services again, no matter what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Polar101

5km is for excercise only, but travel for essential reasons is allowed.. I guess food is pretty essential.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement