Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Queried

I'm seeing a lot of people on social media who are frustrated by the likes of Tesco not being permitted to sell non-essential items such as books, DVDs and clothes (the last one being arguable enough to be fair). My thinking is that by doing so it's more fair on the small businesses which sell these items having to close? It might encourage more people to buy locally through click and collect or their their online platforms?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Clothes are non essiential now in Wales and in Ireland but yet Tesco will not let someone in their shop without clothes who is trying to buy clothes in order to shop for essiential items ie. food.

https://youtu.be/B6bIdRO2xDo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Queried wrote: »
    I'm seeing a lot of people on social media who are frustrated by the likes of Tesco not being permitted to sell non-essential items such as books, DVDs and clothes (the last one being arguable enough to be fair). My thinking is that by doing so it's more fair on the small businesses which sell these items having to close? It might encourage more people to buy locally through click and collect or their their online platforms?

Think the clothes one is a bit daft, needed leggings for one of the kids went in today to get food shop and leggings no joy. will just have to squash into old ones but they dont fit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Queried wrote: »

Are toys essential? My local Tesco had the toy section open. I only noticed it because I could walk down the isle no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭quokula

GT89 wrote: »
    Clothes are non essiential now in Wales and in Ireland but yet Tesco will not let someone in their shop without clothes who is trying to buy clothes in order to shop for essiential items ie. food.

https://youtu.be/B6bIdRO2xDo

It's amazing he lived to that age and only realised he needed clothes now.

• Advertisement

Are toys essential? My local Tesco had the toy section open. I only noticed it because I could walk down the isle no bother.

They will cordoned off soon enough I'd imagine if this insanity does not end. I think if it keeps going you will be able to buy nothing in supermarket except own brand items. Communism is where we are headed.

quokula wrote: »
    It's amazing he lived to that age and only realised he needed clothes now.

Maybe his house caught fire and hence all his clothes were burned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Maybe his house caught fire and hence all his clothes were burned.

But not his mask, runners, boxers, socks and possibly his car keys and phone.
    Yeah, it's a staged video, if you can't recognize that, I feel sorry for you.
    Even before the pandemic, going shopping in your jocks, you would be denied entry by any respectable shop.

Wolf359f wrote: »
    But not his mask, runners, boxers, socks and possibly his car keys and phone.
    Yeah, it's a staged video, if you can't recognize that, I feel sorry for you.

I know that but the point it makes is very much valid.

I know that but the point it makes is very much valid.

The point being even Pre-pandemic you had to wear clothes to go into a shop.
    Regardless of whether clothes are essential or not.
    If his Tesco were selling clothes despite the restrictions, he still should not be allowed into the store dressed or undressed as he is.
    He didn't drop out of his mothers womb minutes before taking the video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

They must really love GAA over in Belgium and France

• Registered Users Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

AdamD wrote: »
    They must really love GAA over in Belgium and France

Lovely hurlers in Bordeaux

The point being even Pre-pandemic you had to wear clothes to go into a shop.
    Regardless of whether clothes are essential or not.
    If his Tesco were selling clothes despite the restrictions, he still should not be allowed into the store dressed or undressed as he is.
    He didn't drop out of his mothers womb minutes before taking the video.

Yes you prove my point clothes are essential and should continue to be allowed to be sold.

Riddle me this my local dunnes had the drapery section cordoned off except for the pyjamas, homewares and underwear but turn the corner into the grocery section and the booze aisle is in full swing. So clothes are not essiential but alcohol is now I'm guessing.

Yes you prove my point clothes are essential and should continue to be allowed to be sold.

Riddle me this my local dunnes had the drapery section cordoned off except for the pyjamas, homewares and underwear but turn the corner into the grocery section and the booze aisle is in full swing. So clothes are not essiential but alcohol is now I'm guessing.

Same with Tesco could buy booze but not a coat

I'm not saying clothes are not essential, I'm saying someone going shopping in their boxers, pandemic or no pandemic is not right.
    When Wales come out of their firebrick lockdown, that guy will still not be allowed enter the store in his boxers.

khalessi wrote: »
    Same with Tesco could buy booze but not a coat

Was there many people buying booze in the boxers or knickers?

PLenty in the booze aisle

PLenty in the booze aisle

In their knickers and boxers? That's what I was asking.

In their knickers and boxers? That's what I was asking.

oh i know what you were asking i was ignoring it as i said plenty buying booze

Not the point. Booze is not essential, clothes are. If you argue clothes are not essential then you could also argue food is non essential too.

• Advertisement

Not the point. Booze is not essential, clothes are. If you argue clothes are not essential then you could also argue food is non essential too.

Why not block off sweets they arent essential

I never once said clothes are not essential, I was arguing that walking into a shop dressed solely in boxers should warrant a refusal into said shop, pandemic or no pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Curtains are essential also.

The point on not selling clothes in supermarkets is the level playing field.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Can you still get bedclothes in Dunnes and Tesco?

Why not block off sweets they arent essential

Yep sweets, crisps, soft drinks, biscuits all non essential food items. In fact it should really be fruit and veg, dairy products, meat and bread on sale as the rest is not essential.

Also supermarket own brand only items as branded items are not essential either.

Yep sweets, crisps, soft drinks, biscuits all non essential food items. In fact it should really be fruit and veg, dairy products, meat and bread on sale as the rest is not essential.

Also supermarket own brand only items as branded items are not essential either.

If you want to go you way, the only realistic approach is to ban anything that's not 0% VAT. The government don't have time to go through millions of products and tick a box if they are essential or not. The current VAT rates would be the quickest, but would cause a **** load of issues (services are 13.5% etc... you can't deem them non essential)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,093 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d imagine the reason alcohol is allowed to be sold is on health grounds... but also the government won’t want to be without the revenue. They could just ban cigarettes too...if that was the case.

Strumms wrote: »
    I’d imagine the reason alcohol is allowed to be sold is on health grounds... but also the government won’t want to be without the revenue. They could just ban cigarettes too...if that was the case.

For the record I do not think the sale of alcohol should be banned. I think all shops should allowed to open whether they sell whatever the government deems essential or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

Most people have enough fat reserves to go several days or even weeks without food, so if you ask me, it's time to start seriously thinking about closing down supermarkets and eateries completely to drive cases down as much as possible.

The lack of food-buying for several weeks would allow the government to substantially reduce the Pandemic Unemployment Payment and these extra funds could then be redirected towards the HSE. It would also very quickly solve the obesity epidemic and reduce its role as a comorbidity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Depending on the situation, what you deem as non essential food items may well be essential to another family due to circumstances that you clearly know absolutely nothing about.

There are many children who through specific diagnosed medical conditions will only eat specific brands of some foods, and will end up hungry if those brands cannot be purchased. Some brands may not be tolerated due to additives contained in them, which may cause serious reactions to some people.

In the same vein, someone who is working in essential services may well require clothing items to replace items that have been contaminated or damaged at work and can no longer be worn. How do you suggest they should be dealt with?

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement