Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXIV-37,063 ROI (1,801 deaths) 12,886 NI (582 deaths) (02/10) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Gradius wrote: »
    Do you want to wear masks the rest of your life in a ruined economy and fear every winter of dying?

Or rather, at least, be able to live normally in one country with a reduced economy?

That's the choice on the horizon.

Why would someone under 70 with zero chronic illness's fear dying every winter?? The stats on who Covid kills are readily available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

...level 3 today, level 5 tomorrow, back to level 2 before Christmas then back up to level 4 in the spring, with the threat of level 5 again next summer....

Businesses and livelihoods ruined, people's well-being destroyed by a virus that may, or (may not) hurt you.

When and how will it ever end?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Rx713B

Stick us into level 5 for 4 weeks - get compliance up, have this flattened a bit before crimbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

gifted wrote: »
    Tony has knocked the ball back into his side of the court now....mickie Martin has got everything wrong so far so chances are he'll get this wrong as well

We might be surprised, MM could be working on his on plan, he could surprise us all by rolling out digital healthcodes, temperature screenings in public places, converting some of the nama properties into temporary covid medical facilities, and opening the country and businesses up with a stimulation package and attracting more multi-national companies. Just wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Rx713B

WTF are people doing?
    Great that you won a match but you are harming everyone.
    It's your town's businesses that will suffer.
    Will we ever cop on.

https://twitter.com/GaryAHurley/status/1312860541405327361?s=20

Muppets

• Advertisement

Gradius wrote: »
    Tell me how to build a rocket. Then if you can't give me PRECISE instruction, it's obvious that rockets can't be built.

https://www.penguin.co.uk/articles/children/2017/craft-a-diy-rocket-from-see-you-in-the-cosmos.html

There you go buddy. Now, any chance of answering his question?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,733 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Tony is disappointed in ye all and I have to say I can't blame him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

...level 3 today, level 5 tomorrow, back to level 2 before Christmas then back up to level 4 in the spring, with the threat of level 5 again next summer....

Businesses and livelihoods ruined, people's well-being destroyed by a virus that may, or (may not) hurt you.

It ends when people say no. They are going to throw this country back into poverty we haven’t seen since the 1950s at the rate they are systematically destroying the economy.

patnor1011 wrote: »
    That virtue signalling is just a camouflage to mask that it is they who are scared to death from this. You know it sounds better to say we do this to protect old and vulnerable as opposed to say we should do this because I am afraid to catch it.
    Old and vulnerable - most of them already know what to do to be as safe as possible from this virus or any ther threats. Being one of them I am in awe how many people wants to save me by introducing ridiculous and plain crazy solutions.

Legend!! Great to hear someone who is actually affected by Covid speak out about this nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

This way. We don't get to choose what emergencies we have to deal with. If we did it would be kinda easy.

528315.jpg

Dont forget to gleam the cube!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Until such time as an effectivevaccine is developed and distributed throughout the population. Until this happens (if it does at all) and you have moronic fcukwits continuing to ignore the measures then what you have described in the 1st paragraph above will be the new normal. Accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,184 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Answer me this one.

If we have a month of level 5 and we get down to the numbers we had during the summer, then open up again surely the same cycle will repeat and come Xmas time we will be in full panic mode again.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,671 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

NIMAN wrote: »
    Answer me this one.

If we have a month of level 5 and we get down to the numbers we had during the summer, then open up again surely the same cycle will repeat and come Xmas time we will be in full panic mode again.

Best plan is control the spread in nursing homes and hospitals, outside of that it should only be the wreckless who get it or spread it to their family so no lockdown required for the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Here's a reminder of what Level 5 would entail:

• Stay at home. Exercise only within 5km of your home.
    • Schools, creches and higher education remain open.
    • No social or family gatherings.
    • Up to 6 guests can attend a wedding.
    • No organised indoor gatherings to take place.
    • No organised outdoor gatherings should take place.
    • No Exercise or Dance Classes. Gyms, Leisure Centres and Swimming Pools closed.
    • Religious services online only. Places of worship remain open for private prayer.
    • Up to 10 mourners can attend a funeral.
    • Museums, Galleries and other Cultural Attractions closed.
    • Bars, Cafe’s and Restaurants will operate takeaway or delivery service only.
    • Pubs serving only alcohol to operate takeaway or delivery only.
    • Hotels only open for essential, non social and non tourism purposes.
    • Essential retail only. All the retail and personal services closed.
    • Work from home unless absolutely necessary.
    • Playgrounds, play areas and parks remain open.
    • Public Transport restricted to 25% capacity for essential workers only.
    • Visiting to residential care facilities suspended.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Answer me this one.

Hard lock down now for 4-6 weeks, open for Christmas, see how long we can last it, lock down again for 4-6 weeks, repeat until a vaccine is here, use time off to bolster health care

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭shockframe

Another lockdown would be ideal to bring Ireland into the 20s. The 1920s.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Quick and sharp over long and protracted pain.

Most would take the former in my view.

A couple of weeks of tougher measures would halt progression of the virus in it's tracks and provide some hope for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

KrustyUCC wrote: »

Indeed. And many of the members of NPHET could have done with a few weeks in Italy and Greece over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

A couple of weeks of tougher measures would halt progression of the virus in it's tracks and provide some hope for Christmas.

At what economic and social cost?

Best plan is control the spread in nursing homes and hospitals, outside of that it should only be the wreckless who get it or spread it to their family so no lockdown required for the rest of us.

Issue with that is the wreckless sometimes have school going children who pass it on through full number schools

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Longing

Answer me this one.

Well for starters we need to but is a scanner in very business, shop and public buildings were it takes your temp and scans your face to see if you are wearing a mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Answer me this one.

Whats the alternative NIMAN. Open up let it kill whom it may?

150,000 of us with longcovid by xmas?
    Another 6,000 dead of covid?
    Another 4,000 assisted deaths? (No tests, oxygen,icu for elderly)

And a tanked economy as well?
    Cause thats exactly what happened in Sweden.

Numbers there only started dropping during summer break.
    Even sweden are starting house isolation now. Why? Surely they are immune by now?

Gael23 wrote: »

If we let the virus eat our hospitals our economy will collapse as well as killing thousands on this island, its lesser of two evils time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

The government's plan to live with covid lasted all of 1 day when Dublin had to be put into stricter restrictions.

Strange thing is ICU numbers are relatively stable at around 20ish - and we were led to believe there was significant surge capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

What do you think would be better for our economy, restrictions now during a naturally quiet time for retail or on the run up to Christmas, the biggest money maker for them?

I think shutting up shop now with strict measures will get the numbers right down for some form of normality during Christmas and the economy would be thankful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭giveitholly

If we let the virus eat our hospitals our economy will collapse as well as killing thousands on this island, its lesser of two evils time

Will you lose your job or business if the country goes to level 5 in the next few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

And what is the metric to say things have improved to move down to say level 2.

The lockdown wont be as hard as in April, cases are unlikely to drop below hundred daily, so there is limited chance for any normality anytime soon if we make this move to level 5 now....they will be scared to move it at all once cases are up...

what is the aim of it?

In the last lockdown we kept pushing it on and on and on, it looked like we wanted to get to zero cases at one point before we opened up ..

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

I don't care this spike is the result of schools reopening & as long as they are open you can ban what you want but it will still be spiking.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If measures are weak it's delaying the inevitable and prolonging uncertainty, much more costly in the medium term.

I'd rather level 5 now, cut transmission now rather than having to introduce panic restrictions at the end of October.

Not acting now leaves us in a reactionary position which is not a good place to be.

• Advertisement

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    For a system that runs at 100% plus capacity in a normal winter with hundreds of people on trolleys all over the hospitals, it won't take much to overwhelm what is the weakest health system in Europe.

Ah come off of that. The weakest health system in Europe. That's patently not true. Do you think Latvia's health system is better? What metric are you using? In patient care in my opinion is better in Ireland than the UK, (used to work for the NHS).

Where we fall down is outpatients, community services etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement