Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The death of Thiago Cortes MOD NOTE IN OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

It sort of like the Guards resent being asked to do work for Brazilians. They have this superiority complex and will just fob them off. If they're persistent in wanting something investigated then the guards get combative and will start asking questions about their visa to scare them off.

Basically they'll just about get off their arses and do some work for an Irish person but all bets are off if you're a foreigner from outside the EU.

They won't do fk all for Irish people either unless they have to.

It's becoming a serious threat to our society along with the completely out of touch judiciary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Young scumbags like these used to be sent off to industrial schools (not that this was necessarily right). Now we have gone too far the other way and are afraid to do anything.

Sounds Victorian/American Justice system but for serious crimes we need to look at lowering the age of criminal responsibility.

If you're old enough to go cruising around in an illegally held car you are old enough to be able to suffer the consequences when it goes wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Daragh1980

Some on the Left are remarkably quiet about this given that it seems the joyriders are underprivileged. I guess the usual excuses will start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

Daragh1980 wrote: »
    Some on the Left are remarkably quiet about this given that it seems the joyriders are underprivileged. I guess the usual excuses will start.

How are they under privileged. Do you have information on the suspects? How do you know this.

spakman wrote: »
    I know what the likelihood is, and I'd say you do too.

Iv'e no idea. Best not to spread unsubstantiated rumours until the facts come out i know that though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

And we all thought the NI Commish would sort this all out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Daragh1980

How are they under privileged. Do you have information on the suspects? How do you know this.

Friend who has lived all his life in north inner city told me.

Friend who has lived all his life in north inner city told me.

Taxi driver is he :rolleyes:

For god's sake that's just hearsay.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭tiger_cub

Niallof9 wrote: »
    Emailed Martin highlighting this. I suppose its just anti pc to be vocal about it. Ireland has always had a chip on its shoulder around law enforcement even among the middle class etc.

I live in D1 and while it’s always been bad, the last few months since lockdown have been absolutely lawless. Scheduled fights between kids shutting down roads, gangs patrolling and since June it‘s been fireworks starting at lunchtime going to all hours of the night. The complex I live in had to make calls to the Gardai multiple times a day since about May given the level of unrest all over the neighbourhood. The odd day a patrol car would drive by but rarely stopped and I can’t blame them really.

My real issue came on Wednesday when the Dail came back to sit at the Convention Center. There’s now about 12 on foot Gardai, 2-4 mounted Gardai and an aqua unit boat cruising the Liffey at any point during the day. So the Ministers and TDs are more deserving of protection than the families and young professionals who live in the area and all of the workers who come through the area on a daily basis?

To the posters trying to make this about cycling - North Wall Quay is arguably the widest road in city center. At 10.30pm there is very little traffic. (But cycling doesn’t even come into it)

This incident hit me hard. I’ve emailed Helen McEntee to ask her to account for disparity in Gardai resources in the area through the summer (and indeed Monday night) versus two days later when the Dail is sitting 200m from where this man died on his own on the side of the road. I don’t expect a response but I’m so damn irate about this I‘ll nearly keep going and email every one of the 160 TDS until someone gives some answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

They won't do fk all for Irish people either unless they have to.

It's becoming a serious threat to our society along with the completely out of touch judiciary.

I think the knock on of the judiciary not acting or dishing out appropriate sentencing is leading to the Guards in the area being demotivated.

The judiciary need to be held to account.

• Advertisement

tiger_cub wrote: »
    I live in D1 and while it’s always been bad, the last few months since lockdown have been absolutely lawless. Scheduled fights between kids shutting down roads, gangs patrolling and since June it‘s been fireworks starting at lunchtime going to all hours of the night. The complex I live in had to make calls to the Gardai multiple times a day since about May given the level of unrest all over the neighbourhood. The odd day a patrol car would drive by but rarely stopped and I can’t blame them really.

My real issue came on Wednesday when the Dail came back to sit at the Convention Center. There’s now about 12 on foot Gardai, 2-4 mounted Gardai and an aqua unit boat cruising the Liffey at any point during the day. So the Ministers and TDs are more deserving of protection than the families and young professionals who live in the area and all of the workers who come through the area on a daily basis?

To the posters trying to make this about cycling - North Wall Quay is arguably the widest road in city center. At 10.30pm there is very little traffic. (But cycling doesn’t even come into it)

This incident hit me hard. I’ve emailed Helen McEntee to ask her to account for disparity in Gardai resources in the area through the summer (and indeed Monday night) versus two days later when the Dail is sitting 200m from where this man died on his own on the side of the road. I don’t expect a response but I’m so damn irate about this I‘ll nearly keep going and email every one of the 160 TDS until someone gives some answers.

I'll back you up with an email. Also living around this way just up in D3 but the North Inner City stuff is spilling over. You need to cc local councillors aswell into your mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Why is there so few Police Men in this Country?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

What's it like seeing the world through this distorted prism where a "left vs right" angle has to be shoehorned into literally everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Are there stats available for the number of Gardai per 100k population? How do we compare to other countries? Its easy to always play poor mouth as a Garda but I know a few of them and lazier more couldn't give a toss people you could not meet.

I've often wondered what exactly they spend all their time doing. I often wondered why at 8am every morning they aren't out on motorbikes catching car drivers texting, driving in bus lanes, catching cyclists running red lights or with no lights in mid-winter, checking for speeding, and so on.

I don't necessarily believe we compare much worse in terms of resources than other countries, but what is lacking is a real deterrent to these scumbag. How many times do you see in the court "the man had 80 previous convictions"? FFS nobody should be in a position to get more than 2-3 convictions. Its a joke.

On a slight aside, I watched a documentary about Mannix Flynn recently. While what the catholic church (of which I am no fan) did to them was reprehensible, there is no doubting that the whole family were complete scum just like those who killed this man. They all talked about how many institutions they were in. Complete and utter scum the lot of them. I don't necessarily feel they deserved any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

RWCNT wrote: »
    What's it like seeing the world through this distorted prism where a "left vs right" angle has to be shoehorned into literally everything?

In fairness if there is to be any answer to this madness - it has to be a political one.

The politics of this issue DO, in this instance, actually follow a dichotomy of laissez-faire low-presence policing or soft approach (favoured by leftists who see the scum as disenfranchised and needing their 'voice') and the get-tough measures of keen policing and stiff sentencing favoured by the right.

It wasn't shoe-horned at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I think I read during the recent George Floyd events that with recent recruitment we have about as many police in uniform as the US per capita. Worth looking up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Sure half of them are useless anyway regardless of having enough Garda per capita or not. What's an obese man or a 5'2" woman going to do to scare off a bunch of fearless scumbags?

The ones to blame are their careless parents. They're the typical ones you see in town with 3 kids hanging from the buggy all munching on happy meals. No wonder they grow up this way. It's an endless cycle that will never be stopped. The only solution is to get rid of them from the city centre and give them their free homes elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Yurt! wrote: »
    I think I read during the recent George Floyd events that with recent recruitment we have about as many police in uniform as the US per capita. Worth looking up though.

Maybe so...but do they have as many criminals running around free with 10/15/20 convictions!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

MarkY91 wrote: »
    ...get rid of them from the city centre and give them their free homes elsewhere.

Would like to see a safer city centre in Dubland - but elsewhere is nowhere. Somebody has to suffer. The only attempt I've seen to address was in the Netherlands with their 'scum village' idea:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/shortcuts/2012/dec/04/liberal-amsterdam-plans-scum-villages

But the incandescent bleeding hearts here would fill a million Joe Duffy shows at such a suggestion for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

topper75 wrote: »
    Would like to see a safer city centre in Dubland - but elsewhere is nowhere. Somebody has to suffer. The only attempt I've seen to address was in the Netherlands with their 'scum village' idea:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/shortcuts/2012/dec/04/liberal-amsterdam-plans-scum-villages

But the incandescent bleeding hearts here would fill a million Joe Duffy shows at such a suggestion for Ireland.

Would be nice if we did something alright. Many of the social welfare residents of inner city Dublin simply don't care or know how to raise kids. We've all seen how they interact it their kids, they don't lick their violence and anger issues off a stone. And why should I give a sh*t about how people raise their kids? Because it means parts of our Capital City are dives full of scumbags that makes it unpleasant for normal good people. It's only going to get worse as they are untouchable and they keep housing them in the city centre.

• Advertisement

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Sure half of them are useless anyway regardless of having enough Garda per capita or not. What's an obese man or a 5'2" woman going to do to scare off a bunch of fearless scumbags?

The ones to blame are their careless parents. They're the typical ones you see in town with 3 kids hanging from the buggy all munching on happy meals. No wonder they grow up this way. It's an endless cycle that will never be stopped. The only solution is to get rid of them from the city centre and give them their free homes elsewhere.

What free homes?

What free homes?

When people pay a pittance for a prime real estate abode in town, and that pittance comes from their dole money, we consider that basically free. But you know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

What free homes?

They're not free homes.

They cost us hard working tax payers a fortune.

All too common to see the lefties excusing murders committed by the "most vulnerable "

Here's an account from Reddit as to what these guys have had to put up with lately, there is no doubt these little knackers will target more Deliveroo drivers
    Greetings!
    Im Brazillian and Deliveroo Driver and im gonna propose some discussion and a plead for help.
    Few days ago I opened another discurssion on Reddit where I reported my experience as a Driver in Dublin. You can check it in the link below:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/ifl4qb/about_garda_and_teenage_thiefs/
    Many of you had no idea of the situation until the death of Thiago, but its getting worse every day. I know that because we Drivers protect each other using whatsapp groups or travling together, since we cant have any protection of Garda.
    Lets talk about Thiago now. I saw hin a couple of times in the street because he was new in the business. But every time we spoke he was always smiling, laughing, making jokes and everything, like his wife said. That kind of person who makes friends everywhere. He was working as Deliveroo to make some money to help his daughter and family in Brazil. RIP my friend.
    Lets talk about our Vigil. We all met at Spire and our plan was to make a Vigil into the place where Thiago was murdered. The initial plan was to follow the river but Garda denied and made us change the course and follow Sean Macdermontt Street Lower, the kind of place we always avoid to make delivery because theres a lot of savage kids in there, but we had no choice.
    After several minutes of walking we heard a noise BOOM! and people runing, Gardas runing and screams. One dumb kid threw a firework at us. We was walking peacefuly, asking for respect and safety and this **** happens. Is kinda throw gasoline in fire.
    HES NOT THE DRIVER and we didnt assault his home as some of you may heard. The video that was released in the media shows the moment after the firework. The moment where the brazillians was raiding into the guy.
    Lets talk about Garda and their role in everything. In the video is possible to see Garda protecting the kid. Of course they have to protect. Otherwise he would be beated and turned into red pesto sauce. But what else Garda did? This little **** faced any criminal charge? Hell no.
    I know some friends that are facing legal charges and fees just because their bikes is "too big for cycling in the streets". Big bikes, Big batteries, accelerator, ****in lights everything is a reason for Garda stop us and threathen us of deportation, but protect us agains those kids? Nah they are just kids and they cant do anything. Today (03/09/2020) many riders sent on wpp group that a group of 30/40 kids was beating riders in O`connel. How? I mean its ****ing O`connel. Wheres Garda? They also said to avoid Cheriff Street because kids are doing anbush there on riders. The same street where we peacefully walked yesterday. They are organizing some "fight back" because our Virgil? Maybe.
    Thats the problem we face every ****ing day. In the back we have Gangs of kids terrorizing us, beating us, stealing our bikes, killing us. In front we have Garda making our life more dificult with all those deportation threats.
    Lets have a quick talk about Riders. Many of us are Brazillians, Mexicans, Colombians and many others. Many of us came to Ireland using money of years of saving. In those countrys is not easy to travel abroad. Is VERY expernsive. But we have dreams, we wanna see what a 1st world country looks like, we wanna learn english and travel around Europe. WE HAVE ****ING DREAMS
    I fell in love with ireland and the Irish People, I really do. Thats why I came to beg for help. We have no one to protect us, your laws dont protect us, your police force dont protect us. Our comunity is big but we dont have enough voice to make changes, or your politics doesnt want to hear us. We are left alone and they are beating us and killing us. Im gonna work tomorrow but im afraid of never return to my wife again.
    If you know anyone who can help just tell me. If you have contacts in Garda or politcs try to talk with them. Any kind of help is welcome
    Here https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/garda%C3%AD-believe-they-have-identified-driver-who-hit-dublin-cyclist-1.4345848 you can find the last news about what happened.
    Sorry about the long post and my english. A huge thank you for all the wonderfull Irish people. You guys have a amazing country that looks like a heaven on earth. Peace and be safe.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    They're not free homes.

They cost us hard working tax payers a fortune.

All too common to see the lefties excusing murders committed by the "most vulnerable "

What? People in council housing work you do realise that right.

When people pay a pittance for a prime real estate abode in town, and that pittance comes from their dole money, we consider that basically free. But you know this.

Oh I agree if on the dole it's as good as free but not if you are working.

Compare the general reaction to that rumour of the Skerries girl last week. They were from well-off backgrounds and people were calling for their heads - yet 4 scums run a man over and leave him to die in the street and it’s radio silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 lchang

coinop wrote: »
    Surely the USA and Canada are closer for Brazilians? Language schools are closed during the pandemic so why are they really here? I appreciate your reply but you're guessing. I was hoping someone in the know could fill me in.

These are the reasons to pick Ireland in my opinion as a Brazilian. I am guessing that since the pandemic, students are not coming to Ireland since schools are closed. I'm referring to students that came to Ireland before the pandemic.

1) In order to come to Ireland, students are only required to purchase an English course. The visa will be granted once they are already in the state. For the USA and Canada the visa process in more cumbersome and one must apply in Brazil.
    2) most of these students have the desire and ambition to backpack across Europe and see the "world" so being in Ireland allow them to travel across the EU.
    3) in Ireland students are allowed to work legally 20 hours per week which might not be the case in other locations.
    4) although cost of living in Ireland are huge, it works out cheaper for these students to come in comparison with costs to go to the USA, Canada, Britain, Australia,etc

Having said all that, if you are Brazilian and have no English at all, it is very unlikely you will get a job, so the only available jobs are jobs with minimum or no interaction with customers, so a deliveroo rider role seem a good option, allowing you to pay for bills, whilst also working on your own fitness,etc.

In relation to the drugs part, I prefer to not comment as we can't confirm that all riders are passing drugs but I understand that many do. The same applies to rickshaw guys.

The very little that do bad things create a bad reputation on the rest of us, who work hard, pay our taxes and just want a peaceful life in the beautiful island of Ireland.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Crap Parenting. Again.

• Advertisement

Little scrotes in North Dublin would target any of us. We are in solidarity with the Deliveroo drivers on this.

They are fooking vermin creating havoc with no fear of repurcussions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement