Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The death of Thiago Cortes MOD NOTE IN OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

Yah, but that won't cut it this time around, they knocked over a cyclist and left him there to die. The driver is looking at least 5 years minimum even if he is a juvenile but more than likely more. This is in the news, the judge will want to make an example of him, no two ways about it.

I'll believe it when I see it.

I dont buy the argument that the gards are underfunded, a significant proportion of our GDP is spent on them and often crimes are not followed up on. Its time there was a little more accountability within the force rather than the same old line, we are underfunded and understaffed.

Can only go by what I see, not enough Gardai, stations closing across the country, they're so desperate for cars they have to use seized cars from criminals.

This is not a difficult crime to figure out, they have good cctv evidence, they have the car, more than likely fingerprints, on top of this, they probably already know who committed it. Wont be long before at least one of them is dragged in and talks to save his own skin. Let the process take its course before slamming it.

Plenty of open and shut cases have been balls up by the Gardai, as I said they're not properly trained, and are amateurish compared to other police forces.

Be careful what you wish for with regard to the US, how often do we hear about people being imprisoned & sometimes put to death over there as a result of a miscarriage of justice. People being handed 30/40 year sentences, it doesnt act as a deterrent to crime, in fact, studies have shown it exacerbates it. I know which system I would prefer.

Never cite studies you can't link to offhand, and don't "I'm not here to find them for you", if you cite something, link it. And I don't care if it doesn't act as deterrent, my desire is to give society a 5, 10, 20 year break from these animals. As for miscarriages of justice, that goes both ways, letting criminals walk is a miscarriage of Justice as well.

The youths coming from deprived areas like this often do turn out to be scumbags but how about looking at the route cause of why this is so than just blaming a soft judicial system. Its a lazy tired old argument at this stage.

Bull****, as I said, we've had years of "there's no facilities" and soft sentences, look where we are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I went out with a Brazilian girl for a while. On our first date I asked her what made her pick Ireland to learn English, thinking i'd be proud of the answer, Ireland being the land of saints and scholars and all that. She said it's the easiest place to get a visa for and easy to pick up money working off the books.
    Ireland not having a 1 year working visa for people from the third world would be the main reason for that. Do we have any 1 year visas for other countries to come here??

Mod: Stop. Now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

you don't think the driver had anything to do with it?

I wasn't there so have no idea is the honest answer.
    I'm sure he did if the news is to be believed, but as i said, i wasn't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭LeBash

coinop wrote: »
    Why are there so many Brazilians in Dublin, does anyone know? And why are they all Deliveroo drivers? The government pump out propaganda that the non-EU immigrants entering the country are all high IQ doctors and engineers yet they all seem to be riding bikes and engaging in illicit activities.

A decent working person was unfortunately killed by some scrotes. His legitimacy is irrelevant. My guess is Thiago has contributed infinitely more than the 4 guys combined who hit him with the car.

Poor family having to travel over after that news. Then to top it off, the people mourning the man get fireworks thrown at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

i'm a cyclist and i have to say these deliveroo cyclists are shocking the way they cycle.
    Not all of course, but the majority of the ones i see on a daily basis have no regard for the rules of the road.
    Perhaps some good will come of it, if their current cyclists/employees have to undergo an immediate training course to help protect their safety.

F' sake, his death, and of many others, had little to do with them other than them being on a bike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

no you're looking for things there i'm afraid, a looney left millenial no doubt,
    i have explained what i meant.

Far from it, nice bottom of the barrel generalization though.

Just throw a label out because you were called out on your agenda. Cheap.

Hurrache wrote: »
    F' sake, his death, and of many others, as little to do with them other than then being on a bike.

So you were at the scene of these accidents then i take it ?

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Far from it, nice bottom of the barrel generalization though.

Just throw a label out because you were called out on your agenda. Cheap.

I'm not the one with the agenda, that much is pretty clear.
    I also note you didn't deny either assumption of you.
    Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Fritzbox

Can only go by what I see, not enough Gardai, stations closing across the country, they're so desperate for cars they have to use seized cars from criminals.

I think it would be a good idea if they shut down more stations. I'd say many of them make little contribution to fighting crime and are just waste of resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

So you were at the scene of these accidents then i take it ?

Cop on to yourself.

• Advertisement

Hurrache wrote: »
    Cop on to yourself.

So no then thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

i'm a cyclist and i have to say these deliveroo cyclists are shocking the way they cycle.
    Not all of course, but the majority of the ones i see on a daily basis have no regard for the rules of the road.
    Perhaps some good will come of it, if their current cyclists/employees have to undergo an immediate training course to help protect their safety.

you don't think the driver had anything to do with it?

Sure it's always the victim's fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I'm not the one with the agenda, that much is pretty clear.
    I also note you didn't deny either assumption of you.
    Interesting.

Have you noted what I said in my previous posts, the north inner city is a crime ridden cesspit and the non contributing generational welfare class need to be relocated and good honest hardworking people who contribute to the economy take their places. I know because I live in the area. Does that sound like a leftist agenda to you?

It is not deliveroo cyclists on low wages going about doing a bit of honest work that is the problem.

But go ahead with your cheap labels and victim blaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

The poor man was only 28 and had a fiance. Killed by 4 scumbags in a Ford Fiesta who then did a runner, in the IFSC area. He was hit on Monday but died today. How could you crash into a man and leave him dying there? I've spent enough time in that area to have seen children flying around on scramblers, foreign security guards attacked and having racist slurs shouted at them, f*cking horses racing up and down. In the city centre. It's ridiculous.
    This case has really struck a chord with me because I cycle to work myself, and the fact that the guy is earning minimum wage working for Deliveroo, part of the gig economy, just trying to earn a few quid.
    Law and order seems to be non existent in the city centre, I mean if we can't keep that under control what the f*ck do the Garda actually do?
    Why are we ok with the city centre being such a hotbed of antisocial behaviour? I've lived in many cities before and I know other countries have problems, but you don't see the stuff you see in the city centre here in other city centres.
    RIP to the poor man, and remember how rough these delivery guys have it in Dublin, they are often assaulted by scumbags and put up with all kinds of sh*t.

I work in Dublin 1 and its a real dive. People are scum.

Constantly seeing peope fighting, about 18 months ago there was a fight between 2 women, ripping each others hair extensions out etc. The block of flata across the road, the residents just enpty their bins out onto the street below from 2/3/4 floors up. I think the real problem is the court/justice system. Gardai have practically no resources so they arent inclined to waste them on putting little scrotes though the process only to see them walk off with a slap on the wrist time after time.

One of my cousins used to be based on Store Street, and he told me before that they take these little runts in but they are gloating about being released in a few hours and there is nothing the Gardai can do about it. Doesnt matter what they have done, they could have beaten someone up severely or robbed a stack of mobile phones, 2 hours later they are released. Must be soul destroying for gardai who actually do want to make a difference in the communities they are based in

Until we have a proper penal system which puts people in jail for proper sentences, none of this early release because you didnt murder your cellmate crap

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Have you noted what I said in my previous posts, the north inner city is a crime ridden cesspit and the non contributing generational welfare class need to be relocated and good honest hardworking people who contribute to the economy take their places. I know because I live in the area. Does that sound like a leftist agenda to you?

It is not deliveroo cyclists on low wages going about doing a bit of honest work that is the problem.

But go ahead with your cheap labels and victim blaming.

I'm not blaming anyone, although it seems you have a real problem with Dubliners living in your area.
    Also, if you honestly believe they will be relocated and good honest hardworking people moved in you are more deluded than you appear.
    You said you "called me out" earlier.
    I'd be mortified if i were you after what you have said above, so i'm "calling you out" on your laughable, and impossible suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

no you're looking for things there i'm afraid, a looney left millenial no doubt,
    i have explained what i meant.

What do you mean by that? I swear some people on boards are proper schizo about "the left". Everyone who has a different opinion to them must be a conspiring leftist. Just go see a therapist and get some meds to help you get over yourself.

Zookey123 wrote: »
    What do you mean by that? I swear some people on boards are proper schizo about "the left". Everyone who has a different opinion to them must be a conspiring leftist. Just go see a therapist and get some meds to help you get over yourself.

Do you really not know what i meant by my post ?
    Perhaps it's not me that needs medication.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Somehow you're trying to blame Thiago for being killed by 4 f*cking scumbags joyriding, because you've seen some deliveroo drivers cycling badly before.
    Seriously f*ck off.

Anyhoo - are we sure the gofundme is legit? How do you even know? I want to donate but just want to be sure it's not a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

Thanks for deleting the worst your mother joke in history btw. And no i have no idea what you meant you need to chill out and stop with the generalization.

Somehow you're trying to blame Thiago for being killed by 4 f*cking scumbags joyriding, because you've seen some deliveroo drivers cycling badly before.
    Seriously f*ck off.

Anyhoo - are we sure the gofundme is legit? How do you even know? I want to donate but just want to be sure it's not a scam.

How am i blaming the victim when i said i wasn't there.
    Just out of interest, where you this upset when the last cyclist died on the road ?
    Did you go look for a gofundme page then ?

• Advertisement

Just out of interest, where you this upset when the last cyclist died on the road ?

Bizarre question but yes, I hate hearing of cyclists being killed because I am one myself. This one hurts in particular because he was murdered by 4 kids in a stolen car and ran away. While working for peanuts.
    Wtf is your agenda here? Grow up ffs.

Zookey123 wrote: »
    Thanks for deleting the worst your mother joke in history btw. And no i have no idea what you meant you need to chill out and stop with the generalization.

thanks i liked it !!
    You attacked me sir not the other way around i'm perfectly chilled.

Bizarre question but yes, I hate hearing of cyclists being killed because I am one myself. This one hurts in particular because he was murdered by 4 kids in a stolen car and ran away. While working for peanuts.
    Wtf is your agenda here? Grow up ffs.

You did not, what was their name, what was the second, and third last persons name.
    Come on at least be honest.
    I'm not the one with the agenda here you can see it from the first post in which was yours i just saw.
    Well it's your thread so i'll go, but seriously this is an echo chamber of falseness.

You did not, what was their name, what was the second, and third last persons name.
    Come on at least be honest.
    I'm not the one with the agenda here you can see it from the first post in which was yours i just saw.
    Well it's your thread so i'll go, but seriously this is an echo chamber of falseness.

What exactly is my agenda? I can think of Donna Fox, another cyclist that was killed around the corner from this guy. There was the Indian guy killed in Dublin 8 last year near the quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 comedown

Speaking of agendas...

Care to explain this post?

comedown wrote: »
    Speaking of agendas...

Care to explain this post?

If I'm reading his warped mind correctly, I only care and made the thread because I'm a looney leftist and the cyclist was foreign. If he was Irish I wouldn't care.
    This is what we're up against. Straight out of the journal commenter playbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Beasty wrote: »
    This thread is nothing to do with immigration

Do not post in this thread again
    I went out with a Brazilian girl for a while. On our first date I asked her what made her pick Ireland to learn English, thinking i'd be proud of the answer, Ireland being the land of saints and scholars and all that. She said it's the easiest place to get a visa for and easy to pick up money working off the books.

Mod

Weldoninhio, dont post in this thread again.

This thread has nothing to do with immigration. Anyone who chooses to post about immigration in this thread will be removed from the thread.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

May he rest in peace, poor lad.

It's so unfair that the scum who took his life most likely won't pay the price that they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

The anti-working class bigotry is as bad as the xenophobic bigotry on this thread. There was a road collision, and nobody here saw it or knows how it occurred, but seem to have decided what happened based on whether they hate foreigners / young people / delivery companies / Dubliners more. The Gardai will hopefully get to the bottom of what actually happened.

Condolences to the family of mister Cortes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Truthvader wrote: »
    Er.........this incident happened because a gang of criminal kids had access to a car. Try not to use every incident to promote your cycling fetish

Mod

Stay out of this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement