Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The death of Thiago Cortes MOD NOTE IN OP

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/thiagos-visa-did-not-allow-him-to-work-for-deliveroo-39545166.html

Well the Indo confirms his visa " did not allow him to work for deliveroo"...i dont have a subscription, does anyone else? Presume his visa only allowed certain types of work and precluded others? Or is it a deliveroo policy? Seems to confirm CucaFaces post.

Which highlights the importance of an HSA investigation into the employer's policy and practices to see if they've been turning a blind eye to such issues routinely

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Care to elaborate on the bit in bold?

I already did - his visa conditions didn’t allow him to work for Deliveroo and he conspired with a legitimate driver to illegally work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Gervais08 wrote: »
    I already did - his visa conditions didn’t allow him to work for Deliveroo and he conspired with a legitimate driver to illegally work.

Who gives a **** about that. Lots of Irish folks have done plenty of dodgy work visa wheezes over the years in Oz, NZ & the USA.

Dublin city should be safe enough for ordinary people to ride a bicycle without getting killed by by a bunch of little scrotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/thiagos-visa-did-not-allow-him-to-work-for-deliveroo-39545166.html

Well the Indo confirms his visa " did not allow him to work for deliveroo"...i dont have a subscription, does anyone else? Presume his visa only allowed certain types of work and precluded others? Or is it a deliveroo policy? Seems to confirm CucaFaces post.

1. Brazilian nationals don’t require a visa to travel to Ireland.

2. Any non-EEU national who wishes to stay, longer than 90 days, in the state must register with the immigration authorities.

3. If this poor man was a student he would have received a “Stamp 2” which allows the holder to work 20hrs p/wk during term time and 40hrs p/wk during holidays.

4. There is no restriction on the type of employment or employer. Obviously you can’t join the Army, Guards, Civil Service etc.

5. With a stamp 2 you are not allowed to start a business or be self employed. I’d imagine this is the issue in this case. AFAIK Deliveroo drivers are sub-contractors and therefore self-employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yeah thats probably it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

Who gives a **** about that. Lots of Irish folks have done plenty of dodgy work visa wheezes over the years in Oz, NZ & the USA.

And they should be fined and deported for doing so too. I have no time nor respect for anyone who arrives in a country with the intention that their first action is to intentionally and immediately break the country's laws.

Doesn’t matter if it’s Patrick in New York or Rodrigo in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

You have missed the point completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

It’s incredibly sad that he has died, and the scum who hit him and ran off should jailed for a significant amount of time (I doubt they will though) but all factors need to be looked at - and if he was not breaking the law he’d likely be alive.

That’s not cruel, it’s not “victim blaming” - it’s a fact. There is a huge black economy of “language students” coming to Ireland learning nothing but working cash in hand. I’m learning a language currently from a 40 euro app - there must be some other reason people fly round the world???

I have to disagree with your comment stating that if he was not breaking the law he'd likely be alive.

How far back do you go to try to excuse the event, if the government didn't make the decision to restrict access to work from countries like Brazil or if the EU allowed all migrants to work in all sectors he would have been here legally, so do you blame the EU or Irish government ?

The blame in tragic incidents are usually a number of factors, not usually one single thing, in this case I'm assuming the majority of the blame goes to the lads that were driving the car.

Do you blame the car owner for selling the car ? Or the buyer/buyers for purchasing ? (We don't know the drivers level of competence behind a wheel, how much driver training they have ...if any)
    We don't even know if the driver has a licence to drive or if they have traffic convictions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭macpaccrack

Everyone loves the Brazilians, get over it lads.

The guys are cool and really down to earth and the women are beautiful, fun and friendly.

The only people who seem to hate the Brazilians are the sad act loners who don't get invited to the parties

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

coinop wrote: »
    When you're lying half dead in the street with a shotgun shell lodged in your chest, blood pouring out onto the concrete, at least you can say to yourself - "at least I wasn't racist".

You remind me of this lad:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=799985920367678&id=424864681213139

Was there a comment there ??

The tweet IS the comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Would imagine all the HSA will be interested in is whether or not Deliveroo got them to tick some box on sign up saying they would wear a helmet & hi-vis. The delivery boxes they carry on their backs are made out of some kind of high vis anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    And they should be fined and deported for doing so too. I have no time nor respect for anyone who arrives in a country with the intention that their first action is to intentionally and immediately break the country's laws.

Doesn’t matter if it’s Patrick in New York or Rodrigo in Dublin.

Ah come off it now - when I was over in the states nearly every Irish person I knew was illegal. Not a single one was ever deported.

This is a really harsh response - man killed in hit and run, lets focus on whether victim was working legally or illegally as minimum wage cycle courier doing a job most Irish people wouldnt do.

I really think its a bit much for you say this, given your position (I am assuming) as a white Irish person and the privileges this brings.

If you were in his shoes you'd most likely be doing the exact same, as that's what Irish people did for decades and decades when this country was poor.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Would imagine all the HSA will be interested in is whether or not Deliveroo got them to tick some box on sign up saying they would wear a helmet & hi-vis. The delivery boxes they carry on their backs are made out of some kind of high vis anyway.

There's a bit more to H&S legislation than that - safety statements, safe systems of work. I'm not an expert, but with each rider as a sub-contractor, I think Deliveroo may have an obligation to ensure that each rider has submitted their safety statement. If, for example, their records show that each rider is working for 18 hours a day (because in fact, 2 or 3 rider are sharing the account of 1 registered rider), there could be very serious questions for them to answer.

Neither helmets nor hi-vis are legal requirements for cyclists, or indeed for motorists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Ah come off it now - when I was over in the states nearly every Irish person I knew was illegal. Not a single one was ever deported.

This is a really harsh response - man killed in hit and run, lets focus on whether victim was working legally or illegally as minimum wage cycle courier doing a job most Irish people wouldnt do.

I really think its a bit much for you say this, given your position (I am assuming) as a white Irish person and the privileges this brings.

If you were in his shoes you'd most likely be doing the exact same, as that's what Irish people did for decades and decades when this country was poor.

Bloody white Irish people, living in Ireland. Cheek of 'em

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Bloody white Irish people, living in Ireland. Cheek of 'em

I’m still to know what privileges I have as a normal working stiff that has to commute 4 hours a day to work - that a black colleague who comes from money and went to Cambridge lacks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

Tombo2001 wrote: »

What sort of American sociology gibberish is this? You do know the victim was a White Brazilian man? And many of the Brazilians here are from wealthy families. There seems to be some ignorant assumption here about immigrants that they are all dirt poor brown/black people when in many casesthe opposite is true.

As for your previous point I've known many Irish in US and Australia that have been deported even this year. And to state most Irish in US are illegal is also utterly false.

Seems to be some sort of weird self loathing from Irish lefties lately that "White Irish" people are oppressors of immigrants and ethnic minorities. Too much time on twitter and thinking you are still in America with your "privilege" rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

This is now before the courts

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement