Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The death of Thiago Cortes MOD NOTE IN OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

quokula wrote: »
    The anti-working class bigotry is as bad as the xenophobic bigotry on this thread. There was a road collision, and nobody here saw it or knows how it occurred, but seem to have decided what happened based on whether they hate foreigners / young people / delivery companies / Dubliners more. The Gardai will hopefully get to the bottom of what actually happened.

Condolences to the family of mister Cortes.

Fleeing the scene not an issue for you no?

That elevates it far beyond a mere "road collision"?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

There was a road collision, and nobody here saw it or knows how it occurred, but seem to have decided what happened based on whether they hate foreigners / young people / delivery companies / Dubliners more.

It was a hit and run, not a simple collision. There's no debating that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I used to work in that area and at times its a really embarrassing place to be.

Outside the Bank of New York there was a teenager in a wetsuit doing wheelies on a bicycle. Not a guard in sight. On sunny days the place was mobbed by young people who were rude and obnoxious to all around them. Meanwhile, people are trying to get to and from work.

If there is no law and order in broad daylight, what deterrent is there for anti-social behaviour at night?

I find it interesting the gardai know there were 4 occupants in the car. They obviously already have some footage of them. Hopefully they can lift some fingerprints, I'd bet a few of the occupants are already in the system.

God forbid a kid doing wheelies on a bike. Jesus christ lol the horror!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The anti-working class bigotry is as bad as the xenophobic bigotry on this thread. There was a road collision, and nobody here saw it or knows how it occurred, but seem to have decided what happened based on whether they hate foreigners / young people / delivery companies / Dubliners more. The Gardai will hopefully get to the bottom of what actually happened.

An uninsured car with no NCT or tax either, a little more than a road collision.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Anti working class, lol. I'm anti whoever those people are in the inner city that are constantly engaging in anti social behaviour. I doubt any of them work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

It's simply because Ireland is the only country that allows them to work while they study.

Her exact words were “it’s simple to get a visa for Ireland”. I’ve no issue with Brazilians, and I’ve met have been sound. But they’re here because we’re the easiest country in Europe to get into.

Her exact words were “it’s simple to get a visa for Ireland”. I’ve no issue with Brazilians, and I’ve met have been sound. But they’re here because we’re the easiest country in Europe to get into.

So what? Everyone knows this already, they hardly come here for the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Video of delivery cyclists chasing scummers at vigil.

https://twitter.com/o_wireless/status/1301274080629395462

I HATE the scum that wreck life in the city centre. They place the biggest burden on those least enfranchised in Irish society.

Social housing and HAP should be withdrawn from those (or those with dependents) with a history of criminal or anti social behaviour. You'd see the place clean up over night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

It's not anti-working class bigotry, it's frustration with the minority of out and out scumbags within working class communities.

The people who face some of the biggest burdens from these scumbags are the working class people that have to live alongside them. I've seen it for year living in Pearse St.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Its like we live in a sick society where lawlessness and the dole scroungers get to run amok while the powers that be sit back an laugh from there ivory towers at the squeezed middle paying for it all,

There will have been politicians defending these young scum prior to this hit and run that its society's fault

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

When Paul Murphy is elected by the people of Jobstown whilst shouting he was elected to break the law as people surround a TD's car throwing bricks and eggs at it, you know we live in a country full of scumbags.

Protect yourself and your family as noone else will.

You're on your own in this country....
    Speaking of the loonie left, they seem to be laying the blame for this poor guy's death firmly at Deliveroo's door.

That's right folks, its all their fault that four little scumbags went driving in an uninsured car, hit an innocent guy doing his job and left him for dead.

Strange point of view to take...

You’re having a laugh, it’s nothing to do with the working class - none of these people work anyway.
    It’s to do with people’s frustration with the out and out scum we get bled dry for in our taxes only for the same scums to wreck good honest people's lives and then laugh in their faces about it.

People are bloody sick of it. At what point can we call a spade a spade?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭crossman47

TRANQUILLO wrote: »
    I was at a mayday outdoor festival in frankfurt in 2010. music, hotdogs, massive beers candy floss. the works.

when the music stopped there was rows of squad cars and police vans with the cops there leaning on the vehicles tooled up with cable ties and batons, guns on hips.

There wasn't a glass broke, a wheelie bin upturned or ole olers pissing against the wall or dancing on phone boxes. Everyone just shuffled on home civilly.

It always stuck with me. We don't fear the cops in Ireland at all. And violence would solve it.

These young lads you see mouthing off at cops in these viral videos would have been sorted out in the 80's with a good hiding. Give them an inch....

I've been at a festival in Frankfurt too and marvelled at the difference with Ireland. It has little to do with Cops though - its a different mentality. Germans obey the law and, by and large, don't get drunk in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Speaking of the loonie left,

And how about the looney right who have been in power for decades actually sort this sh1t out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭thebourke

just a heads up....
    there is a gofundme page set up for the family

https://www.gofundme.com/f/justice-for-thiago-cortes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭thebourke

quartz1 wrote: »
    Is there a gofundme for the man and his family

https://www.gofundme.com/f/justice-for-thiago-cortes

There's like 10 go fund mes. How do you know which are legit?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

A sad tale but I do not support the deliveroo cyclists taking the law into their own hands over this.

Let the guards do their job not amateurs biking about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

A sad tale but I do not support the deliveroo cyclists taking the law into their own hands over this.

Where do you see them taking the law into their own hands? Or are you just projecting nonsense.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Where do you see them taking the law into their own hands? Or are you just projecting nonsense.

Various videos and reports

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Joe Kane

Similar thing happened my uncle a few years ago.

Hit & run, yer man an illegal immigrant just so happened to be Brazilian too walked free from court.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

The Gardai are amateurs.

The Gardai are amateurs.

No, they are the designated police force for this state

RIP to this man

I just wish there was genuinely appropriate prison sentences for the absolute scum who deserve it

I fear we will never get proper prison sentences from FF FG SF labour greens etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭macpaccrack

I went out with a Brazilian girl for a while. On our first date I asked her what made her pick Ireland to learn English, thinking i'd be proud of the answer, Ireland being the land of saints and scholars and all that. She said it's the easiest place to get a visa for and easy to pick up money working off the books.

And was that before or after you became utterly obsessed with being anti immigration?

You’re having a laugh, it’s nothing to do with the working class - none of these people work anyway.
    It’s to do with people’s frustration with the out and out scum we get bled dry for in our taxes only for the same scums to wreck good honest people's lives and then laugh in their faces about it.

People are bloody sick of it. At what point can we call a spade a spade?

This is it, why would anyone refer to the permanently unemployed as working class. Underclass maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Your attitude of leniency is what leads to this type of crime.

Your post has made me feel sick to my stomach.
    There is no hope for decent people in this country to expect justice when attitudes similar to yours abound.

Happy4all wrote: »
    what? as opposed to if we had a Shinners govt?

You will note i included sf

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Brazil is an amazing place with the friendliest of people. A lot of them have nothing but they can’t do enough for you. Sure it has its problems like any country but it’s a beautiful place and well worth a visit.

RIP to this young man. Horrible way to die.

working for deliveroo and living in Dublin doesn’t sound to me like something that can work financially.

I don’t doubt that these lads will be found, if they have not fled the country already, with finger prints, cctv, dashcams and the fact that 4 people can’t stay quiet It won’t be long before they get caught hopefully.

I don’t doubt either that they have records and it won’t be their first day in court.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭macpaccrack

I must say it was great to see those complete toe rags being chased in their own area by the Brazilians.

Finally someone has stood up to them and when they were directly confronted they ran like the cowardly rats they are.

For some background. I live in the North Inner city and know the area well. People are saying classist this and classist that but I am from the community so I don't mind saying it. Most people in my area aren't going to amount to anything and have no intention of even trying. They are happy to collect welfare, sell drugs and party. There are SOME with young families who will work hard for a trade but those are not representative of the community.

There has been a very big issue of the youths actively targeting the influx of Brazilians in the area. They'll attack them, threaten them with knives, rob their money or bicycles and generally threaten and intimidate them. However its worse than that, the 'adults' in the area close ranks when the Brazilians (or anyone else from outside the area) stand up to them and will defend these little ****ers.

The ONLY thing that has surprised me is that the first killing of a Brazilian by these toe rags was by a car and not a hammer or screw driver. Believe me its only a matter of time going on what I see weekly.

The Brazilians don't report it because (1) the guards don't care (2) go to report a crime as a Brazilian and depending on the guard you might be getting asked questions on your visa.

The guards REGULARLY stop deliveroo guys on bikes searching their bags for drugs but known local gear dealers in the area just stroll past them. The guards don't touch them. They don't even challenge them. Far easier for the Guards to push around some young Brazilian students than actually tackling the dangerous elements in the community. Helps Mr.Guard feel better about himself because they've lost the respect of the community a long time ago.

From what I have seen yesterday the Brazilians aren't going to tolerate this scumbaggery any longer and will take matters into their own hands with these scumbags. To be perfectly honest they have little other choice because they are being targeted so often.

Yesterday a man was killed. He was a man with a young family. He recently engaged and working hard to support a masters degree in business. He was loved by the community and has never been involved in crime. He is exactly the type of person we want in Ireland. Works hard, pays his taxes, wants to study and pay for a high level degree and doesn't cause trouble.
    He was killed by 4 known thugs, with a history of crime in a stolen car. They left him to die on the road and have no guilt whatsoever. They are likely generations of welfare recipients living rent free in the city centre attacking hard working people like Thiago just trying to live his life the right way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement