Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The death of Thiago Cortes MOD NOTE IN OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Maybe so...but do they have as many criminals running around free with 10/15/20 convictions!?

Without reference to stats, I'd be fairly sure the US as a whole has a more severe crime problem than Ireland. And that's not to soft-peddle this incident, it's an outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Thiago's gofundme is up to 50k now, great to see. They should refuse to deliver to certain parts of town really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Thiago's gofundme is up to 50k now, great to see. They should refuse to deliver to certain parts of town really.

You'd hope Deliveroo do something for his repatriation costs and his fiancée in Ireland also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I'm not sure how deliveroo works but is not like Uber or MyTaxi where you can choose to do the delivery or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Fritzbox

Yurt! wrote: »
    I think I read during the recent George Floyd events that with recent recruitment we have about as many police in uniform as the US per capita. Worth looking up though.

That really wouldn't be hard - there is no particular reason to believe that the USA actually has a high number of police members per capita compared to other developed countries, is there? In fact the Gardai have 14,000 members according to Wikipedia, so I suspect that Ireland has as many police officers as any other Western European or North American country per capita.

Here's a factoid:
    There are almost as many police stations in the Republic of Ireland as there are in NI, Scotland, Wales and the London metropolitan region put together. What does that tell you about policing in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,840 ✭✭✭Cordell

You'd hope Deliveroo do something for his repatriation costs and his fiancée in Ireland also.

You'd hope that they will treat their living employees better but that's not gonna happen either. If they do anything they will do it for PR, but in reality they can only do a single good thing, and that's to pack up and go fk themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Cordell wrote: »
    You'd hope that they hwill treat their living employees better but that's not gonna happen either. If they do anything they will do it for PR, but in reality they can only do a single good thing, and that's to pack up and go fk themselves.

Don’t hate the player hate the game.

It’s the legislators of this country that need to change the rules, not the companies that are operating (exploiting) within them.

Zero hour contracts should be illegal first and foremost, they are an exercise in control and exploitation. For jobs that are at the minimum wage or very close to it If you can’t agree to give somebody at least a ten hour contract then you shouldn’t be allowed to hire them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

+1 the deliveroo jobs could be wiped out overnight if the legislative willingness was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

After discussion via pm Weldoninhio can post in this thread again

Don’t hate the player hate the game.

Oh but I will, and the supplier and the customer also :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

And what will happen, NOTHING cause the Gardaí are chicken ****, the little ****s will run amok cause they are covered by the law due to their age and they will always be a burden to society until d fools in Leinster house realises this.

The decent hard working people will mourn Thiago cause he was a decent hard working fella, and for his life to be taken away by thugs is not acceptable.

Those thugs should be taken away and the crap beaten out of them, no law should protect them irrespective of age.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

+1 the deliveroo jobs could be wiped out overnight if the legislative willingness was there.

It's nothing but a form of coolie type labour. Ashamed that in 21st cent Ireland we think it's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

topper75 wrote: »
    In fairness if there is to be any answer to this madness - it has to be a political one.

The politics of this issue DO, in this instance, actually follow a dichotomy of laissez-faire low-presence policing or soft approach (favoured by leftists who see the scum as disenfranchised and needing their 'voice') and the get-tough measures of keen policing and stiff sentencing favoured by the right.

It wasn't shoe-horned at all.

I have to agree with that. We've spent 51 million on the land and servicing it since the Thornton Hall site was bought in the 90's and still no prision has been built.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/thornton-hall-prison-site-that-cost-state-51m-offered-for-housing-1.3756763

The reality is that judges are told not to impose custodial sentences because the places don't exist to jail offenders.
    This is policy, the most telling part of that article I posted has got to be:
    "When this was put to the department, a spokesman said the large prison originally envisaged in 2005 by the then government was now regarded, in modern penal policy terms, as “counterproductive”.

So there you go, we don't want more prison places because it's “counterproductive” according to modern social policy, you see this all the time from clowns like John Lonergan, former governer of the Joy, who doesn't belive in jailing people. There is very much a soft headed load of lefty quangocrats in charge of penal policy and they don't want to see a new jail build despite the fact that one was badly needed back in the 90's before we added another half a million people to the population.

The decent hard working people will mourn Thiago cause he was a decent hard working fella, and for his life to be taken away by thugs is not acceptable.

Exactly. So much for 'the people who get up early in the morning'.

Ireland is far too soft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

Never used them as i rarely don't home cook or eat out in a restaurant but Deliveroo look like a right scumbag company to work for. :mad:

It's nothing but a form of coolie type labour. Ashamed that in 21st cent Ireland we think it's ok.

They even give it a fancy name, the "gig economy"

Employees make a pittance and are worked like dogs. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

We should stop snatching them off Brazilian streets and forcing them to come here and do it.

There's nothing fancy about that name. A fancy name will be "independent contractor led economy" but let's not give them ideas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,006 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

conorhal wrote: »
    I have to agree with that. We've spent 51 million on the land and servicing it since the Thornton Hall site was bought in the 90's and still no prision has been built.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/thornton-hall-prison-site-that-cost-state-51m-offered-for-housing-1.3756763

The reality is that judges are told not to impose custodial sentences because the places don't exist to jail offenders.
    This is policy, the most telling part of that article I posted has got to be:
    "When this was put to the department, a spokesman said the large prison originally envisaged in 2005 by the then government was now regarded, in modern penal policy terms, as “counterproductive”.

So there you go, we don't want more prison places because it's “counterproductive” according to modern social policy, you see this all the time from clowns like John Lonergan, former governer of the Joy, who doesn't belive in jailing people. There is very much a soft headed load of lefty quangocrats in charge of penal policy and they don't want to see a new jail build despite the fact that one was badly needed back in the 90's before we added another half a million people to the population.

That is interesting.
    What is the capacity of your prisons and how does it compare EU wide I wonder?

I’ve said it a number of times, if you reformed properly the legal system in this country it would have a profoundly positive effect on the lives of everybody because crime, insurance, planning, asylum seeking, compo culture, accountability, corporate corruption and many other areas of life would improve and benefit everybody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Thiago Cortes mourners clash with Dublin residents after firework thrown at vigil by youths

https://m.independent.ie/videos/thiago-cortes-mourners-clash-with-dublin-residents-after-firework-thrown-at-vigil-by-youths-39503114.html

Says it all really, doesn’t it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Thiago Cortes mourners clash with Dublin residents after firework thrown at vigil by youths

https://m.independent.ie/videos/thiago-cortes-mourners-clash-with-dublin-residents-after-firework-thrown-at-vigil-by-youths-39503114.html

Says it all really, doesn’t it?

Indeed it does, and yet people will still defend these "poor misguided youths" as being a product of their environs. Its multi generational scum and it needs to stop.

The likelihood is that these scrotes will have their own kids early and it's rinse, wash, repeat 20-25 years down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I’ve said it a number of times, if you reformed properly the legal system in this country it would have a profoundly positive effect on the lives of everybody because crime, insurance, planning, asylum seeking, compo culture, accountability, corporate corruption and many other areas of life would improve and benefit everybody.

It really does seem to be the crux of a lot of issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭duffmann

I was at the vigil and the crowd were angry. I am not surprised. I have heard about so many attacks on foreigners and that they have zero faith in the Gardai. They cannot understand how Dublin is so lawless. Also, they cannot understand why so many Irish people are unemployed. RIP Thiago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭saabsaab

The last great bastion of the old British system. Should be part of the civil service. No one except the very poor or very rich can afford law!

duffmann wrote: »
    I was at the vigil and the crowd were angry. I am not surprised. I have heard about so many attacks on foreigners and that they have zero faith in the Gardai. They cannot understand how Dublin is so lawless. Also, they cannot understand why so many Irish people are unemployed. RIP Thiago.

Don't they know about the virus?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Don't they know about the virus?

Most generous long term dole system on earth.
    Criminals breeding criminals is a financial investment for the most vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Never used them as i rarely don't home cook or eat out in a restaurant but Deliveroo look like a right scumbag company to work for. :mad:

Nobody asked them to work for Deliveroo though. It's a choice. Some people are almost comparing it to slavery lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

I'm from an area where anti-social behaviour is endemic as well, and while it's easy to say "they're all dole scroungers" many of the dirtbag kids parents are working, it's more to do with the attitude of people in the area, bad is good, bad is fun, doing bad things is funny, combine that with a hatred of the Gardai, the Gardai are scum, **** the Gardai etc. it's ingrained in these people and it doesn't matter whether their parents have jobs or not. Look at these scenes from last week:

This is the culture of these people, do what you like and there are zero consequences, the Gardai can't do anything, there is no sanction for their behaviour.
    It was already mentioned that when that poor woman was pushed into the Canal by those scummy teens (their identities were leaked online, all their parents are working iirc) people were saying she could have been killed, and now someone has been killed, well things are going to escalate, someone is going to snap and kill one of these dirtbag kids, and everyone who was saying that the law should be changed for them to be charged and we should come down like a tonne of bricks on them will suddenly wring their hands and say "ahh he was only a kid", like that psychotic drug dealer who was dismembered, or when one of them goes under a car or a bus on their scramblers, suddenly they're an angel and it's a tragedy, and society has failed them.

• Advertisement

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    It really does seem to be the crux of a lot of issues.

It’s a bit bottleneck that enriches a few.
    It just happens to enrich the few that have the power to change it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement