Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭1641

Thanks for explaining. Makes sense but confusing with all of the caveats. The middle number confuses things and is redundant now with the German results included.

The first number is useful and the last number is useful. Middle one is just a subset of total tests and shouldn’t be reported.

Just to clarify I’m not George lee , I was just as confused however :)

Yeah - but Holohan said that the most important number for them from the tracking perspective is the middle number. This is the one they have been tracking to see daily rises or falls. We public are probably more focussed on totals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭boardise

syngindub wrote: »
    Trump has a big decision coming up. Any ideas what it is?

To change to a 13 degree driver ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Remember everyone

CHINA DID THIS!!!

So what exactly do you expect us to do about it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Sorry, I'm living in Spain - the epicentre of this ****ing ****.

Very likely the country won't exist in the next few months and ill be dead myself, I wish I could go back to Ireland - linear growth and seems to be well under control.

we just got a backlog of cases that tested positive that we sent to germany back. c500ish.
    My thoughts with you over there. big hugs from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

1641 wrote: »
    It is because some important genes associated with the immune system are situated on the X chromosome. Women have two X chromosomes and males just one (XY). If there are any "inefficiencies" in a gene on a woman's dominant X chromosome she has the other one as a backup. Males do not.

Yeah my survival of the species theory was premised on the idea that men can impregnate an almost unlimited number of women, but women can only have a certain amount of babies- so as the more scarce resource they might have evolved better out of necessity?

I have a pretty limited understanding of the whole thing so very open to correction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Wibbs wrote: »
    Ah jaysus H, don't be thinking like that. You'll be still around to piss the rest of us off and inform and amuse in equal measure. :)

Hector, Wibbs, Jaysus lads, God's doing a bit of channel surfing at the mo. Fixated with the Horror Channel at the moment but, as we're modelled in his /they her/him it's image, he'll get bored out of his hoop and flick around, likely landing back on Really & the Travel Channel and Cruise Channel and sure we'll be all happy as pigs in sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

coastwatch wrote: »
    I think you're obsessing a bit too much over the total case number, that is just history at this stage.
    What maters now is the day on day, (or better 7 day rolling average) increase, as that tells how the virus is spreading now.

I’m not obsessing on anything. That was the most confused stream of ****e ever in the history of counting. That’s what we are talking about. This is not complicated , they are making it out to be really difficult to aggregate how many positive results there were. Looks like they were caught out by the euro CDC number being different and had to include it somehow post haste. Then try to explain it away.

It really does matter because we have had 8000 cases now instead of 7000. That’s a bit of a difference. They decided to report an up to the minute number with the ones from Wednesday.

Shouldn’t take that long to explain how many have had it. It’s a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

brendan gleeson is national treasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭deaglan1

Make of it what you will - when it comes to countries of comparative sizes & populations, we are not doing very well.
    Deaths-per-1-M-population-for-European-Countires-with-less-than-10-M-and-greterthan-4-M-population.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

https://thehill.com/policy/national-security/intelligence/491712-us-intelligence-warned-in-november-that-virus-spreading

U.S. intelligence officials warned in November that the coronavirus spreading in China’s Hubei region could become a “cataclysmic event,” ABC News reported Wednesday.
    Quite sure it wasn't known as a novel virus until mid December, beginning of January was when it was seen to spread ao fast in Wuhan and I've been following since then, article is BS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

So what exactly do you expect us to do about it now?

People remember , and when all of this is past think what we as consumers buy.
    Do not support this tyrinical murderous scumbag CCP!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

People remember , and when all of this is past think what we as consumers buy.
    Do not support this tyrinical murderous scumbag CCP!!

It’s for the very same reason that I don’t buy chorizo. Never forget the Spanish flu!

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

I’m not obsessing on anything. That was the most confused stream of ****e ever in the history of counting. That’s what we are talking about. This is not complicated , they are making it out to be really difficult to aggregate how many positive results there were. Looks like they were caught out by the euro CDC number being different and had to include it somehow post haste. Then try to explain it away.

It really does matter because we have had 8000 cases now instead of 7000. That’s a bit of a difference. They decided to report an up to the minute number with the ones from Wednesday.

Shouldn’t take that long to explain how many have had it. It’s a joke

But those additional cases were always there, and more besides, the unconfirmed cases, so they are already having their impact on the hospital system. The only difference is now we all know about them "officially".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

It’s for the very same reason that I don’t buy chorizo. Never forget the Spanish flu!

The Spanish Flu from Kansas ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

joe_99 wrote: »
    The Spanish Flu from Kansas

The home of quality chorizo

• Registered Users Posts: 85,425 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    What curve are we trying to flatten, daily cases, overall cases or deaths? Sorry if this is a stupid question

I think positive cases, the spread etc.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Sorry, I'm living in Spain - the epicentre of this ****ing ****.

Very likely the country won't exist in the next few months and ill be dead myself, I wish I could go back to Ireland - linear growth and seems to be well under control.

Best of luck over there.

Suppose to be travelling to Lanzarote in July. Whats your thoughts on tourism in spain this year?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

joe_99 wrote: »
    The Spanish Flu from Kansas ;-)

Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Well, I'll be taking a forced 2 weak break from the hospital. Pretty gutting but hopefully back in action asap.

Suppose to be travelling to Lanzarote in July. Whats your thoughts on tourism in spain this year?

Fair to middling. Is it going to rain?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    What curve are we trying to flatten, daily cases, overall cases or deaths? Sorry if this is a stupid question

Demand on health care systems essentially.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Well, I'll be taking a forced 2 weak break from the hospital. Pretty gutting but hopefully back in action asap.

Username checks out.... unfortunately! :o

Hope it's only precautionary, Nonoperational.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Beasty wrote: »
    They did not provide it yesterday. A poster on here suggested the CMO indicated the German figures were included yesterday. They were not in the figures put in the HSE release yesterday. If they were then today's figures would have to be wrong.

They have made that one and only "adjustment" today, but that was only after it was pointed out to the CMO that the figure he was reporting was different to the figure the EU were reporting for Ireland
    Holohan did just before 2 minutes 30 https://www.pscp.tv/rtenews/1BRJjQLevMNGw as I already said the problem is, it wasn't in the press release

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

New Home wrote: »
    Username checks out.... unfortunately! :o

Hope it's only precautionary, Nonoperational.

:pac:

Not precautionary unfortunately. Well, precautionary for the other staff and patients I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,425 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Do we know the correct true number waiting on tests in ROI?

:pac:

Not precautionary unfortunately. Well, precautionary for the other staff and patients I guess!

In that case, I hope you're one of the lucky ones who only get cold symptoms. Fingers crossed!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Just been on booking.com and you can still book rooms. And some places have one room left for tomorrow night. I thought we're all meant to stay at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Quite sure it wasn't known as a novel virus until mid December, beginning of January was when it was seen to spread ao fast in Wuhan and I've been following since then, article is BS

yeh agree ordinary folk in wuhan had seem to start wondering about this new illness just before xmas.
    the other side of that though possible some military meeting was going on earlier before that and one of them susposely got ill. True or not I have not decided juries out. Could have just been sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

deaglan1 wrote: »
    Make of it what you will - when it comes to countries of comparative sizes & populations, we are not doing very well.
    Deaths-per-1-M-population-for-European-Countires-with-less-than-10-M-and-greterthan-4-M-population.png

Ultimately it will be the deaths that people will remember, not the number of cases in relation to other countries.

• Advertisement

Just been on booking.com and you can still book rooms. And some places have one room left for tomorrow night. I thought we're all meant to stay at home?

They could be for essential/critical staff who can't go home. Wild guess on my part, though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement