Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Yup.
    An utterly braindead Idea.
    Let's honour Frontline Workers by littering the countryside with literally flaming material that could potentially start gorse fires and injury domestic animals and wildlife.

I'm sure the firefighters, farmers, rescues, and vets are thrilled to be thus honoured.

And they are all getting paid. And chose the job. I have the height of respect for them but some are just short of beatifying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,279 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Lovely speech by Ryan Tubirdy just now on LLS. He seems quite emotional

Yes, I thought he was welling up there for a moment mid-speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

1500 new cases in Ireland!!! wtaf !! ???

Whats going on ??

It’s 480 today and the rest are backdated, we sent them to Germany earlier in the week and got the results back today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Whats going on ??

:rolleyes: Try to keep up or read the news reports. It includes backdated figures from tests in Germany,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Lovely speech by Ryan Tubirdy just now on LLS. He seems quite emotional

It was a loada bollix. All about himself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Whats going on ??

Don't even go there. Please.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Interesting point Wibbs.
    When the ratio came out in China, some pointed to smoking.
    The western media did, the Chinese didn't so much. They noted the odd finding that while smokers if they did end up in ICU's faired worse, but appeared to not come down with it in the first place, or at least not bad enough to get them to hospital. In the age range of 40 to 60 50+% of Chinese men smoke, yet of those same age ranges presenting to hospital only 13% were smokers. If it was hitting them harder you'd expect to see many more, never mind that smokers are more likely to have cardiovascular illness too*. From what I gather on the Chinese and Italian stats asthmatics were also not particularly hit badly. Again a bit unexpected. Cardiovascular disease seems to be the biggie as far as risks go. I did read on very small sample of British patients in a covid ward and out of 30 something IIRC, only one was underweight, a few were normal weight, the rest, the majority were obese or morbidly obese.

Finding the raw data isn't so easy. The Wuhan stuff is easy enough to find, but they're pretty small sample sizes. No doubt it's because medical staff are so run off their bloody feet they really can't be arsed getting into that just yet and any medical research types who are qualified in medicine are getting stuck in themselves. regional factors are surely at play too. Level of local pollution, Asians not nearly so troubled with obesity as say Americans, or Irish for that matter, so that could be missed, even local genetic population differences too.

*If there's any case here, I wonder is it because smoke being so toxic buggers this particular virus too? Or smokers cough more on a daily basis because their cilia are fecked so move more crap out of the lungs because of their hacking coughs? Smoking is about the worst thing you can do to your health, but like anything there are a tiny few things where it appears to be protective. Ulcerative colitis is one. Smokers almost never get it. Takes the edge off ADHD too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Gael23 wrote: »
    The father of a family friend has been in hospital, dying, the past 10 days with absolutely no visitors. Only this morning they were all sent for as it won’t be long now.
    Surely people deserve to be surrounded by loved ones as they approach the end of life no matter what?

People have been posting this for weeks, so that people can learn how serious this **** is.

Everyone should just stop and think, if you have a loved one, imagine now being not allowed to be with that person in the last days/moments of their lives.

Pick up the phone, Skype or Facetime said person you never know what might happen no matter how healthy they are <3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

It was a loada bollix. All about himself.

well he has to try and match Claire from the shed. RTE heroes!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Whats going on ??

edit thats what worldometer says, RTE news say 400 ...

I'm confused too. Something about the tests sent to Germany. I don't know...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I don't know why I care, but here I am asking you to elaborate...

edit: ok, speech by Tubs. No need thanks!

The speech, yes, was incredible,

I fell in love with the Irish scenes for the opening. Scenes of a quite, beautiful Ireland.

As reported earlier, there were 25 further deaths sadly and an additional 480 new cases reported today. Total per below

509073.png

The r value has been floating between 1.06 to 1.08 for the last 7 days with the average at 1.074.
    • 04-Apr 1.077
    • 05-Apr 1.085
    • 06-Apr 1.074
    • 07-Apr 1.064
    • 08-Apr 1.064
    • 09-Apr 1.082
    • 10-Apr 1.073

This is great in one sense in that it is stable and not increasing, but disappointing in another as it should be dropping lower by this stage.

509074.png

Due to this, my earlier prediction of us breaking the 10k mark on the 17th/18th looks wildly optimistic with that barrier being broken on Wed next (15th) at the current rate with the additional curveball of the German tests still waiting to show up. My guess is once those are added in, we are looking at crossing 10k on Monday 13th.

509075.png

As such, the graph below should be taken "as-is" because it's likely to be underestimating the impact the German tests are going to have. Once those figures are released, I'll plug them in and update everything.

509076.png

Lastly, a county by county breakdown based on the rate of infection per 10k population.

To explain this a bit more, with the most recent figures from 8th April calculated against the 2016 population for each of the above counties, the rate of infection for every 10,000 people in each county stacks up like this

County Rate per 10k
    Dublin 29
    Cavan 20
    Westmeath 17
    Wicklow 17
    Kildare 13
    Mayo 12
    Offaly 11
    Meath 11
    Monaghan 10
    Longford 10
    Kerry 10
    Kilkenny 10
    Limerick 10
    Tipperary 9
    Cork 9
    Louth 9
    Donegal 9
    Leitrim 8
    Galway 6
    Clare 6
    Laois 6
    Waterford 5
    Sligo 5
    Roscommon 4
    Carlow 3
    Wexford 2

Next update Monday or if the German test #'s are confirmed before, whichever comes first

• Registered Users Posts: 23,565 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A very perceptive Obama back in 2014

"Screw all that common sense, let's vote for Trump..."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

As reported earlier, there were 25 further deaths sadly and an additional 480 new cases reported today. Total per below

509073.png

The r value has been floating between 1.06 to 1.08 for the last 7 days with the average at 1.074.
    • 04-Apr 1.077
    • 05-Apr 1.085
    • 06-Apr 1.074
    • 07-Apr 1.064
    • 08-Apr 1.064
    • 09-Apr 1.082
    • 10-Apr 1.073

This is great in one sense in that it is stable and not increasing, but disappointing in another as it should be dropping lower by this stage.

509074.png

Due to this, my earlier prediction of us breaking the 10k mark on the 17th/18th looks wildly optimistic with that barrier being broken on Wed next (15th) at the current rate with the additional curveball of the German tests still waiting to show up. My guess is once those are added in, we are looking at crossing 10k on Monday 13th.

509075.png

As such, the graph below should be taken "as-is" because it's likely to be underestimating the impact the German tests are going to have. Once those figures are released, I'll plug them in and update everything.

509076.png

Lastly, a county by county breakdown based on the rate of infection per 10k population.

To explain this a bit more, with the most recent figures from 8th April calculated against the 2016 population for each of the above counties, the rate of infection for every 10,000 people in each county stacks up like this

County Rate per 10k
    Dublin 29
    Cavan 20
    Westmeath 17
    Wicklow 17
    Kildare 13
    Mayo 12
    Offaly 11
    Meath 11
    Monaghan 10
    Longford 10
    Kerry 10
    Kilkenny 10
    Limerick 10
    Tipperary 9
    Cork 9
    Louth 9
    Donegal 9
    Leitrim 8
    Galway 6
    Clare 6
    Laois 6
    Waterford 5
    Sligo 5
    Roscommon 4
    Carlow 3
    Wexford 2

Next update Monday or if the German test #'s are confirmed before, whichever comes first

No wonder everyone wanted to get to Wexford FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Try to keep up or read the news reports. It includes backdated figures from tests in Germany,

Sorry, I'm living in Spain - the epicentre of this ****ing ****.

Very likely the country won't exist in the next few months and ill be dead myself, I wish I could go back to Ireland - linear growth and seems to be well under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

His predecessor did the same 10 years before that, well someone wrote a speech for him.Bush pandemic link

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Remember everyone

CHINA DID THIS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

KiKi III wrote: »
    There was an article in the Irish Times the other day about this. A doctor talking about the lifestyle factors; obesity and smoking but also that women are more likely to go see a doctor early on if something is wrong.

This is mostly well known but the interesting part was she said women seem to just be better at fighting off viruses generally. Could be a survival of the species thing?

No, the female immune system reacts more strongly to viruses than men's. That's my understanding of things. And so, for Coronavirus, men are more susceptible and for something like the Spanish flu, which killed many more young people, females would be more at risk.
    Open to correction. But little to do with survival of the fittest. Unless nature intends a human society of hermaphrodites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

1641 wrote: »
    There are three figures given.

7071. This is the total number confirmed up until Wednesday midnight - whether tests were analysed in Germany or in Ireland. The further statistics he gave (median, sex, number admitted to hospital, number admitted to ICU, etc) are all based on this group.

7074. This is the number of cases confirmed by Irish laboritories up until sometime this afternoon. This is the number they have been tracking daily all along.

8089. This is the number of cases confirmed by Irish plus German laboritories up until the same time this afternoon. The 1015 German cases confirmed yesterday and today (ie 8089-7074) represent "historic" infections, ie, probably from two weeks ago or so.

As I understand it anyway.

Thanks for explaining. Makes sense but confusing with all of the caveats. The middle number confuses things and is redundant now with the German results included.

The first number is useful and the last number is useful. Middle one is just a subset of total tests and shouldn’t be reported.

Just to clarify I’m not George lee , I was just as confused however :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

What curve are we trying to flatten, daily cases, overall cases or deaths? Sorry if this is a stupid question

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,794 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

they gave it yesterday too (if not the day before that aswell)
    They did not provide it yesterday. A poster on here suggested the CMO indicated the German figures were included yesterday. They were not in the figures put in the HSE release yesterday. If they were then today's figures would have to be wrong.

They have made that one and only "adjustment" today, but that was only after it was pointed out to the CMO that the figure he was reporting was different to the figure the EU were reporting for Ireland

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

No doubt some conspiracy nuts will imagine that just like Bill Gates Obama was up to something nefarious. :rolleyes:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

As of Wednesday night? I'm still confused to be honest.
    • So 7K doesn't include German results and is up to Wednesday night.
    • 8K is up to Wednesday night including all the previous tests that were sent to Germany.
    • or 8k is including all results up until tonight?

Always best to stick to one number going forward.

I think you're obsessing a bit too much over the total case number, that is just history at this stage.
    What maters now is the day on day, (or better 7 day rolling average) increase, as that tells how the virus is spreading now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Ace2007 wrote: »
    People have been posting this for weeks, so that people can learn how serious this **** is.

Everyone should just stop and think, if you have a loved one, imagine now being not allowed to be with that person in the last days/moments of their lives.

Pick up the phone, Skype or Facetime said person you never know what might happen no matter how healthy they are <3

I should add the person concerned does not have Covid 19. I get chills when I think what it must feels like facing your mortality alone with nobody. Lose to you within miles.

Very likely the country won't exist in the next few months and ill be dead myself,
    Ah jaysus H, don't be thinking like that. You'll be still around to piss the rest of us off and inform and amuse in equal measure. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭1641

An Ri rua wrote: »
    No, the female immune system reacts more strongly to viruses than men's. That's my understanding of things. And so, for Coronavirus, men are more susceptible and for something like the Spanish fly, which killed many more young people, females would be more at risk.
    Open to correction. But little to do with survival of the fittest. Unless nature intends a human society of hermaphrodites.

It is because some important genes associated with the immune system are situated on the X chromosome. Women have two X chromosomes and males just one (XY). If there are any "inefficiencies" in a gene on a woman's dominant X chromosome she has the other one as a backup. Males do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

https://thehill.com/policy/national-security/intelligence/491712-us-intelligence-warned-in-november-that-virus-spreading

U.S. intelligence officials warned in November that the coronavirus spreading in China’s Hubei region could become a “cataclysmic event,” ABC News reported Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

An Ri rua wrote: »
    No, the female immune system reacts more strongly to viruses than men's. That's my understanding of things. And so, for Coronavirus, men are more susceptible and for something like the Spanish flu, which killed many more young people, females would be more at risk.

Spanish fly? I see you fixed that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Gael23 wrote: »
    The father of a family friend has been in hospital, dying, the past 10 days with absolutely no visitors. Only this morning they were all sent for as it won’t be long now.
    Surely people deserve to be surrounded by loved ones as they approach the end of life no matter what?

A couple of hours ago you said when the restriction extension was announced

"Thats too much. People won't take it lying down"

So what exactly do want out of this?

The extension of restriction measures are in place to negate or at least minimise the occurrence of these exact scenarios.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement