Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Why are we still having this stupid ****ing conversation.
    1. If hundreds of thousands of people die in Ireland it will hurt our economy just as much as a shut down, and no one will go to restaurants or buy iphones because they will be too terrified for their lives
    2. Plenty of young people with no underlying health conditions have died of this virus. Just because it mostly kills elderly people and people with diabetes, cancer, asthma etc. doesn't mean it won't also kill hundreds of young people with no other health problems if we just let it run rampant.

Bloop bloop bloop

Unrelated: New Dr Mike covid faq video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMopOpiNB1s

We are still having this conversation because of ridiculous comments like yours about hundreds of thousands of people dying in this country.
    That’s why we’re still having it because of statements that are ridiculous. And we will continue this conversation until someone has a better argument then your attempt.

The comment on young people dying is also not going to cause any panic among young folk because the number of young dying are as low as any seasonal pneumonia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

YFlyer wrote: »
    No casual walking, running or cycling. Have one shopping per week and one pharmacy visit per week.

Why no walking?

The one in / one out policy will ensure people will minimise shopping trips as people will buy in bulk to avoid being in a queue all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Why are we still having this stupid ****ing conversation.
    1. If thousands upon thousands of people die in Ireland it will hurt our economy just as much as a shut down, and no one will go to restaurants or buy iphones because they will be too terrified for their lives
    2. Plenty of young people with no underlying health conditions have died of this virus. Just because it mostly kills elderly people and people with diabetes, cancer, asthma etc. doesn't mean it won't also kill hundreds of young people with no other health problems if we just let it run rampant.

Bloop bloop bloop

Unrelated: New Dr Mike covid faq video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMopOpiNB1s

We know all this. We are happy to compromise. Sometimes, while it might make you feel better or less guilty, pursuing the most virtuous path isnt correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Rotweiler

I am surprised to see this many people believing this is a joke or simple a SIMS game.
    Another part where people mention dense population in certain location and less dense lol
    You have to understand this: This sh** virus is not the world has seen before and as we speak and try to find a cure plus means of better testing, it evolves, conquers, infects and moves one. From air, from touch, from surface, from water and from everything.

We even don't know if those who are naturally immune or those who recover can or can not be infected. This is why scientists are conducting plasma immune testing to understand this. Which translates for that we are faaaaaaaar away from curing this disease.
    I do not sound delusional, but I am doing my own math and following those who can. Every single math on this world shows that at least 3 to 4 percent of total world population will be dying as well as another 40 - 70 percent get infected.

So, going back to the point, the lockdown or the measures are there for you and your loved ones. And it will be hardened. Because this sh** does not spread arithmetically but geometrically! Numbers staying at 300s for a couple of days can not give you an idea. Also compare those numbers to testing! Watch the videos of people who can not say even a last goodbye to their parents just because they thought like you. "I will leave Lombardi, I must be the only one thinking that since I am a genius".

Anyway, I know businesses can not stand it. I know many lost jobs. And you, opening your shop won't help anyone.
    It is not your problem guys. You paid your taxes, now let the government take care of it. And take your precautions.

I hope a good healthy transition for everyone here.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

GT89 wrote: »
    Do we have the numbers of Gardai to implement such measures. It's clear to me proportionally there are a lot more police in countries like Spain and Italy than here in Ireland and let's face it there's no messing with the police in these places. What will be the punishment for breach of such measures? Fines?

Will people actually pay these fines. I can't see a situation where after this is over people will be dragged into court for non payment of fines accumulated during this crisis. If that happens the judicary system will be overwhelmed.

No we don’t have the resources and neither do Italy.
    The images we see from Italy and Spain are a snapshot and don’t represent the whole country.

How could the police in any country patrol anything but the most densely populated areas.

We could watch the show the K district as a foreigner and assume Ireland is a ****hole with a complete breakdown of law and order, it’s not though, it’s editing

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »
    Where I work, about 30% of custimers still pay no heed to things like social distancing or cough etiquette. I see this with my own eyes every hour of every day. It is a fact.

And the proportion of my Co-workers who are oblivious to those things is closer to 50-60%

Compulsory masks in shops and on public transport. If it does nothing else it forces these morons to show at least a bit of respect.

Where I work, about 30% of custimers still pay no heed to things like social distancing or cough etiquette. I see this with my own eyes every hour of every day. It is a fact.

And the proportion of my Co-workers who are oblivious to those things is closer to 50-60%

You have 30pc if your customers standing within 2m of strangers for more than 15 minutes? I would be surprised if that was the case.

"There is very little risk if you're passing someone"

easypazz wrote: »
    Compulsory masks in shops and on public transport. If it does nothing else it forces these morons to show at least a bit of respect.

"Respect" to who? Have you no interest in the science?

Respect to who? You?

The people driving the bus or operating the till, obviously.

The people driving the bus or operating the till, obviously.

See above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭jonski

You're not being forced to do this, you're not really even being told to do it, you're being asked ............by everyone . You're being asked to do something that the celtic tiger generation will find difficult, you're being asked to consider other people .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

I don't know, but things we thought were unworkable and impossible, unenforceable even,up until a few weeks ago have turned out to be very possible. I presume if further restrictions were put in place, you'd assume the majority would just obey them and you'd have increased visibility of Gaurds and the Army on the street, which would deter a lot of the rest. The Guards and the Army don't have unlimited manpower or resources but you'd be wary enough about making unnecessary journeys if you knew there was a chance you'd run into trouble for doing it.

Regarding infections coming in from outside. I'd love to know exactly how many people travelled into Ireland from elsewhere yesterday or today, who weren't Irish citizens or residents. It can't have been a very large number. It probably was a record low. And that record will be probably beaten again tomorrow.

They are workable at the moment because people are listening to the advice that's been given. Eventually that patience will wear thin and people will start to break them. If nobody listened to the rules then nobody would be able to enforce them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

GT89 wrote: »
    Do we have the numbers of Gardai to implement such measures. It's clear to me proportionally there are a lot more police in countries like Spain and Italy than here in Ireland and let's face it there's no messing with the police in these places. What will be the punishment for breach of such measures? Fines?

Will people actually pay these fines. I can't see a situation where after this is over people will be dragged into court for non payment of fines accumulated during this crisis. If that happens the judicary system will be overwhelmed.

Why is that we have a society that unless it's the Gardaí or maybe even the Army, that people wont' adhere to it? Why can't we use some of the people that signed up for Ireland's call?

jonski wrote: »
    You're not being forced to do this, you're not really even being told to do it, you're being asked ............by everyone . You're being asked to do something that the celtic tiger generation will find difficult, you're being asked to consider other people .
    And so are "you", yet dont seem capable of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Nermal

If thousands upon thousands of people die in Ireland it will hurt our economy just as much as a shut down, and no one will go to restaurants or buy iphones because they will be too terrified for their lives.

People refuse to abide quarantine rules. They are willing to take some risk. You’re wrong.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Why is that we have a society that unless it's the Gardaí or maybe even the Army, that people wont' adhere to it? Why can't we use some of the people that signed up for Ireland's call?

Unfortunately he is rigt on this. Ireland has "policing" issue and other than cpouple of individuals and mostly expats, many disregard the respect to Gardai which I believe comes with the economic boom and lean attitude that is infected to everyone on this country for at least 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

You have 30pc if your customers standing within 2m of strangers for more than 15 minutes? I would be surprised if that was the case.

"There is very little risk if you're passing someone"

At the very least they don't observe the guidelines on social distancing. And being around that many people and being in close proximity to many people isn't considered a smart idea, whatever about the fifteen minute rule. And particularly in an area where people are touching lots of surfaces and breathing in the same recirculated air. People know all this and yet they still do it.

And that's just the customers. Do the workers spend more than fifteen minutes at a time within 1-2 metres of each other?
    Yes, a lot of them still do, even when they could easily not do it.

Rotweiler wrote: »
    Unfortunately he is rigt on this. Ireland has "policing" issue and other than cpouple of individuals and mostly expats, many disregard the respect to Gardai which I believe comes with the economic boom and lean attitude that is infected to everyone on this country for at least 10 years.

"Many", yes, we are all out there driving with no insurance, robbing, stealing, abusing etc.

See above.

Would it not be a little bit respectful to a till operator to wear a mask?

Can you imagine sitting at a till all day and seeing people coughing over a trolley and then expect you to touch their groceries?

Asking shoppers to wear a mask isn't a lot to ask.

At the very least they don't observe the guidelines on social distancing. And being around that many people and being in close proximity to many people isn't considered a smart idea, whatever about the fifteen minute rule. And particularly in an area where people are touching lots of surfaces and breathing in the same recirculated air.

And that's just the customers. Do the workers spend more than fifteen minutes at a time within 1-2 metres of each other?Yes, a lot of them still do, even when they could easily not do it.

Right, I thought it might have been an exaggeration.

What you've described only highlights the absurdity of supermarkets being open and a 3km cycle being banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

What you've described only highlights the absurdity of supermarkets being open and a 3km cycle being banned.

If Supermarkets are closed how are you supposed to buy food?

That's why they are classed as an essential service.

You can't eat a 3km cycle.

You are suggesting close all supermarkets?

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭boetstark

See above.

Lads will people ignore this muppet timmy mallet, he is constantly winding people up and trolling on Boards.ie
    Sad really

boetstark wrote: »
    Lads will people ignore this muppet timmy mallet, he is constantly winding people up and trolling on Boards.ie
    Sad really

He is fun to laugh at though. We are probably all bored.

boetstark wrote: »
    Sad really

Add him to ignore list lol
    Works like a charm

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭jules5417

When push comes to shove old people will be left out of ICU's and younger people treated first.

Old people can look after themselves by cocooning.

Sorry to tell you but my sister said they gave 4 icu beds to over 65 year olds instead of people mid 40's because mid 40's all are smokers,alcohol dependency so most decisions are based on who is most likely to survive. Seriously its not just the elderly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I wonder have there been any 'supermarket clusters' yet. Be surprised if not...If one employee at a store tested positive, presumably it would have to close for a fortnight and the rest go into self-isolation...

jules5417 wrote: »
    Sorry to tell you but my sister said they gave 4 icu beds to over 65 year olds instead of people mid 40's because mid 40's all are smokers,alcohol dependency so most decisions are based on who is most likely to survive. Seriously its not just the elderly.

You are correct, you get triaged on chances of survival, but healthy younger people with covid-19 tend to be healthier than older people so the older people lose out.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'm in a position where I need to shop for my family due to missing online groceries and have a car sitting in my driveway, for presumably months on end. I have a friend who works in healthcare that is affected similarly. Just going to post what I mailed to local TD.

In my friends case, she carpooled with healthcare workers (and 1 non)
    right up until social distancing and from seperate households came
    into force. There was a reliance on a fully experienced driver at the
    time. My friend is a Learner driver, and has nobody to drive into work
    with. At this point, she now walks 30 minutes to her nearest bus stop
    (the 13), and another hour to get into a northside hospital that she
    works in. She has also had to change work hours as bus doesnt come
    early enough for her. Previously with carpool she was 45 mins in and
    out each way (due to early nature of her hours with the carpool). She
    is now spending the guts of 3 hours a day commuting on top of her 10
    (often 12 due to pressure of healthcare work currently ongoing)
    working hours daily. As she is a Learner Driver, she has the potential
    to drive into work herself, but due to the current enforcements,
    Learner Drivers must be accompanied by experienced driver, which
    cannot happen due social distancing measures, and nobody in her
    household to drive with.

There is a handful (at least) of similar healthcare and essential
    workers at this time browsing the RSA Facebook comments, RSA Twitter
    comments and Shane Ross' Twitter feed.

I myself am also a Learner Driver. Although not a healthcare worker
    and in all seriousness nowhere near as screwed as my friend, I too
    cannot drive my car due to no sponsor/experienced driver to sit with
    me. I have a family, my wife is self isolating, and I had been
    previously after my father tested positive. All good here but means
    the family relies heavily on myself and online grocery orders. I have
    had 2 situations in the past 3 weeks, where my online grocery
    deliveries lacked essentials (nappies, bread, potatoes to name a few),
    where I had to walk shop to shop around Clondalkin (I am west
    Clondalkin based), do multiple walks back and forth as I dont have the
    ability to carry a familys worth of groceries. I probably clocked more
    than 10km in a day walking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Can I walk a little quicker than casual, would that be ok?

Can I cycle to the pharmacy visit or not?

If I forget something if I'm a little forgetful, do I have to wait til next week?

Yes Yes Yes

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement