Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

But that family wouldn't like to see you die alone in hospital either.

My wife is a nurse, and my mother (87) lives next door. My wife was on leave until yesterday, so we considered our two houses to be one household (we had already stopped my mother's outings) and the rest of us maintained social distancing and the usual precautions. From yesterday my mother is cocooned since my wife is back at work, exposed to many people daily and with no PPE, so we can't risk her giving something to us and us passing it on to my mother. It's tough for her not being abtle to see her granddaughters up close, but we'd rather she was upset than dead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

tdf7187 wrote: »
    The restrictions are already causing disproportionate hardship and should be relaxed if not entirely removed. Sweden has none and is doing fine. But hey it's great for the coppers and their overtime so celebrate.

One of my clients are in sweden. They've cut a high rate of staff, remainder are on half time. They've shut down major functions of their organisation which will have long term impact, not just on their business, but also others who are dependent on them.

And that's without the state seemingly looking to push anything. The private sector is taking a big hit and responding due to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

AdamD wrote: »
    I think some people are ignoring the elephant in the room. Utterly destroying the economy would kill more people than the virus and that's why the lockdown can't be indefinite

We can only play the current phase for weeks rather than months.

Then we need an exit strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jayp2020

easypazz wrote: »
    While you may have all those nice things, there are plenty who don't.

Like old people trapped in their home alone.

Exactly. Old people and young people trapped in their home alone. And even if they do have those nice things it's not a substitute for human company. Seriously is anyone else on this thread living alone? It's a completely different ballgame.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

jayp2020 wrote: »
    Exactly. Old people and young people trapped in their home alone. And even if they do have those nice things it's not a substitute for human company. Seriously is anyone else on this thread living alone? It's a completely different ballgame.

You dont have to be living alone, to be alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,007 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

You dont have to be living alone, to be alone.

That's deep man. That's deep.

GooglePlus wrote: »
    I agree, they could build roads in shopping centres as well, with every shop having a pull up and collect option. Drive In cinemas, Drive through restaurants. You could even have a pull up pub and have a pint with your friends parked up.

And drive home! If you're in Kerry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Tbh I am following the measures at the moment for the two week period but if it is extended then I will start to break the restrictions and breach the 2km radius. I think it will get to the point if they extend the measures for too long a period then people will just ignore especially now the weather is improving. I think it will get to the point where the measures will be so widly ignored by the vast majority it will be unenforceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

If they're going to a shop it's better they drive than walk as they won't interact with anyone on the way, same with going to work.

That poster said they live rurally, and there’s a lot more cars than usual travelling on their road. I’m assuming from that that it’s not a road people would travel to go to a supermarket, and if it’s very rural, they wouldn’t be walking there anyhow. If people are travelling on back roads to avoid Garda checkpoints, as someone else suggested they might be, then where are they going?

The restrictions are already causing disproportionate hardship and should be relaxed if not entirely removed. Sweden has none and is doing fine. But hey it's great for the coppers and their overtime so celebrate.

What nonsense is this?

Gardai have had their rosters changed overnight. Leave and holidays cancelled and have been transferred from their positions to their local stations. All while I might add, there's only 8 hours overtime a month included.

I dunno what's sadder, your compete cluelessness about the Gardai or the kennel you will go to trying to hide your own lack of self esteem. Go join the Gardai, for fighters, paramedics, teachers and nurses if it's so great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

AdamD wrote: »
    I think some people are ignoring the elephant in the room. Utterly destroying the economy would kill more people than the virus and that's why the lockdown can't be indefinite

Most are ignoring this.

It is exactly the elephant!

Officials in the UK did a study last week on the effects of the restrictions and determined a shrink in the economy of 6% is the equilibrium where the economic contraction will cause more deaths.

It’s forbidden however from being mentioned by many posters, you will be accused of immaturity/lack of empathy/not understanding the effects of the virus etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭jules5417

kieran. wrote: »
    What further step up measures do you think will be imposed?

They could day nobody can go out at all except for essentials. Anybody out walking will be fined.

ITman88 wrote: »
    Most are ignoring this.

It is exactly the elephant!

Officials in the UK did a study last week on the effects of the restrictions and determined a shrink in the economy of 6% is the equilibrium where the economic contraction will cause more deaths.

I'm old enough to have lived through a number of recessions. I don't remember one where it was necessary to create temporary morgues to hold all the dead.

GT89 wrote: »
    Tbh I am following the measures at the moment for the two week period but if it is extended then I will start to break the restrictions and breach the 2km radius. I think it will get to the point if they extend the measures for too long a period then people will just ignore especially now the weather is improving. I think it will get to the point where the measures will be so widly ignored by the vast majority it will be unenforceable.

I'm in Louth and have been tramping around the roads within 2km these last few days. Without doubt there were far more cars on the road today! For Sunday, Monday and Tuesday it was very quiet, today was different, in fact the road was quite dangerous again.

I drove later to a small centra a few KM away to get bread , its right beside the beach, things were very busy around the area of the shop and car park, I think people are already starting to ignore the rules.

I also think the fact the stats on new cases EACH day is about the same (200-300) is not helping. These numbers are misleading due to the delays in testing and even longer delays in results - labs can only copy with a few hundred day therefore the results of new cases are never going to get higher!!
    So people think its already leveling out - this is dangerous! HSE and Govt need to come out and say the numbers are artificially low due to testing problems and this might frighten people into staying home!

The numbers being thrown around are mind boggling.

2021? It's not world war z here folks. It's a virus that you get over in 2 weeks.

At the rate it's spreading we will have gotten it and be better by the end of the summer.

China already stepping back, Italy and Spain estimated to be at the peak. This is all in 4 months since discovery.

jules5417 wrote: »
    They could day nobody can go out at all except for essentials. Anybody out walking will be fined.

We are only allowed out for essentials anyway.

So ban walkinf.

What difference will that make?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

I'm in Louth and have been tramping around the roads within 2km these last few days. Without doubt there were far more cars on the road today! For Sunday, Monday and Tuesday it was very quiet, today was different, in fact the road was quite dangerous again.

I drove later to a small centra a few KM away to get bread , its right beside the beach, things were very busy around the area of the shop and car park, I think people are already relaxing the rules a bit.

i was just saying the same - i am in tipp
    i am still working - roads very busy today

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

jules5417 wrote: »

Ye good luck getting people to pay those fines

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

storker wrote: »
    I'm old enough to have lived through a number of recessions. I don't remember one where it was necessary to create temporary morgues to hold all the dead.

I didn’t carry out the study that determined that but I’m sure they were more educated than me.

The temporary morgues were erected before corona, to handle flu victims in recent years, and will be erected again.

The recession causes the old and vulnerable to have shorter lives, the very ones those temporary morgues are for

If new treatment being trialed starts proving very helpful at keeping people out of the ICUs and then out of hospitals, and becomes more readily available, AND that current measures are proved successful at keeping it at bay in the community there, then one or two relaxations could be made. Elderly people might no longer have to cocoon. One solution to keep people from going out all together might be to limit certain days to surnames beginning with certain letters, eg people (driver if the car in case of couples/families) with certain years of birth can go out specified days. EG.,birth years 1930-1969 can go out Mondays & Saturdays, 1970-1999 can go out Tuesdays, Thursdays & Sundays, birth years 2000 on can go out Wednesdays & Fridays. Very hard to police, but some way to stop the world all going out to the one place at the one time, whilst still allowing some recreation and change of scenery.

My sister who is a doctor in ICU in the uk has been told by medical advisors that most of the drugs been trialled are not effective enough to be produced for all patients. She thinks around beginning of june for them to see big enough improvement. Also she said lots of people in 30"s and 40's are in icu so people should not be complacent about this virus.

• Advertisement

We havent established any yet and our existing morgue are not full.

So far 85 people have died in a month. You think the country is so healthy that we can't handle that? The majority were old and could have died anyway. How many less road fatalities as a result of isolating?

I'm not saying it's a walk in the park and I know it will get worse before it gets better but folks, it's not the end of days

If its all over in 4 weeks it might be. But the downturn could spread out over a year or more and people die from suicide, lack of heating, alcoholism etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Not true about Sweden. They closed universities, most parents keeps kids at homes. Gathering of more than 50 people banned. So there are restrictions. And they are preparing additional hospitals, so they will have stronger restrictions soon. I don't think they will manage to avoid it.

I expect restrictions until end of April
    Then the restrictions will be relaxed until fully gone by end of may

The cure cannot be worse then the disease - something trump is getting hammered for saying it 4 weeks and we will all say it

If all ok by june i think children should then be back in school and just get august off.

We havent established any yet and our existing morgue are not full.

So far 85 people have died in a month. You think the country is so healthy that we can't handle that? The majority were old and could have died anyway. How many less road fatalities as a result of isolating?

I'm not saying it's a walk in the park and I know it will get worse before it gets better but folks, it's not the end of days

I'm talking about countries like Italy and the US where they seem to have been slower than us to lock things down. I never said it was the end of days, but this argument that "hey, recessions cause deaths too" is missing the point entirely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Agreed, best estimate at the min is 30 billion, half of what the bank bailout cost and that took 7/ 8 years to pay back. All capital spending houses etc etc will be on indefinite hold and it ooks like we are consigning another generation to austerity

Consigning the same generation to austerity. If you're in your early to mid 30s, it's all you have known, and here it comes again.

easypazz wrote: »
    If its all over in 4 weeks it might be. But the downturn could spread out over a year or more and people die from suicide, lack of heating, alcoholism etc.

How many deaths were attributable to the last recession?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

As someone who loves going for pints it's now 26 days since I was out for one or indeed had a drink of any kind, although some of my friends/drinking buddies on the WhatsApp group are hoping for a quick reopening, I amn't because I don't think it's safe to do so and will be disappointed to see lobbying from vintners group and pub owners. Its tough on them but they are the exact opposite of what we need to do now, social distancing.
    I think pubs and clubs should be the last things to reopen. They will be packed when they reopen and when they finally do, they will all have to open together, can't phase that in because the ones that do open will be even busier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I can think of a few suicides.

• Advertisement

michaelm wrote: »
    The pressing issue is what to do about the Leaving Cert - this is the only situation where this is a major and immediate consequence. The Junior Cert can wait. I've absolutely no insider information but reckon they will need to run it in some form during the summer or early autumn. It is actually a huge headache with no simple or straightforward solution. There is a lot of project work complete/almost complete, should this be included? If so schools will need to return for a number of weeks before the exams, in fact they would need to do this for all subjects anyway - can't see many teachers/students happy to go straight to exams as they would have lost the crucial final 10 weeks. A huge conundrum for al involved.

They could have exams august and get results october and push back uni start to November

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement