Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Options
1330331332333334336»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

youandme13 wrote: »
    Em it's not definite that will happen will depend on the next two weeks. And considering there was a 40% increase in footfall today and a lot of people becoming more lax on the restrictions it can really go either way!

That increase in footfall took it from 13% of normal figures to 19%. So, a 6% increase in real figures.

Most people are still cognisant of the fact that social distancing is necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Its impossible to prevent head lice in primary schools and children in creches havent a clue about social distancing, sneezing and coughing.

Covid 19 would spread like wildfire in these settings.

I live in NL and the schools and daycares have been open to the children of frontline workers since the lockdown started, they never closed. There was some testing done to see if those children/ staff were as highly affected as other parts of the population and it was found not to be the case, hence why the under 12s will be returning (reduced days/ numbers) on the 11th of May. Team sports too, and over 12s sports respecting distancing rules.

There will be a new normal, we can’t stay locked in our houses for another year. Get used to the idea now so that when circumstances change suddenly you’ll be somewhat prepared for it. No point in hanging on to what’s happening now as this isn’t sustainable for much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Strumms wrote: »
    My thinking too...

Also my family and friends, I want them ALL to be getting out of this alive, as well as myself of course. There is not one single persons life who I see as disposable in order to get the economy going... and what those who want restrictions lifted early are saying is that they will and ARE content for a few to die, many even as long as corporations are continuing to be profitable and normal life acquired again. Welcome to Ireland 2020.... not exactly the spirt of 1916, 104 years and here is where we are at, fûck... Dev, Collins, Griffith, Pearce, Connolly, Clarke, McDiarmada... died and fought for freedom, so people could live, not make shît loads of cash for others, international corporations and fûckin die in the process.

Don't think I've ever read so much bollox in one single post - well done.

Don't think I've ever read so much bollox in one single post - well done.

I honestly don't think you can speak. You've previously claimed that those taking this seriously have nothing of value in their lives. You're completely oblivious to consequences of what happens if this situation isn't handled correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Maybe i worded it badly most businesses open, not pub hotels,cinema,not a hope, but as i said depends how much interpretation can be put in the governments statement the weekend before 5th may.

Was listening to a newstalk podcast and they had a professor from TCD and he said that the government really needs to level on the public with many things and that the exit strategy from the current lockdown is going be mid May they don’t know exactly when but it’s around mid May and that it cannot be based on economic decisions because if it does the modelling will dictate that it will fail and there 3-7 lockdown cycles throughout the rest of the year.

Although 5th May might be viewed as a red letter day you probably only going see a plan on that day, I think they threw defined date of 5th and the current numbers although flattening the curve not taking enough of a dive.

Have a listen yourself

https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/highlights-from-the-pat-kenny-show/id698050979?i=1000472152894

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Was listening to a newstalk podcast and they had a professor from TCD and he said that the government really needs to level on the public with many things and that the exit strategy from the current lockdown is going be mid May they don’t know exactly when but it’s around mid May and that it cannot be based on economic decisions because if it does the modelling will dictate that it will fail and there 3-7 lockdown cycles throughout the rest of the year.

Although 5th May might be viewed as a red letter day you probably only going see a plan on that day, I think they threw defined date of 5th and the current numbers although flattening the curve not taking enough of a dive.

Have a listen yourself

https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/highlights-from-the-pat-kenny-show/id698050979?i=1000472152894

Just on the plan, leo said last night it'll go before cabinet by end of this month and he'll announce it before the 5th

• Registered Users Posts: 23,202 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I honestly don't think you can speak. You've previously claimed that those taking this seriously have nothing of value in their lives. You're completely oblivious to consequences of what happens if this situation isn't handled correctly.

And complained about the elderly being kept alive.

They are a classy bunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

fr336 wrote: »
    China locked down Wuhan fully for 3 months and are still having big issues with this virus even as they try to gradually open things up again. Why do we in the west arrogantly assume we can abandon our half arsed lockdown after 3 and a half weeks? Consume consume consume that's the western way, and we need constant stimulation from our stressful jobs with not enough people assigned to projects so capitalists can cream off the top as profit because if we don't fill our lives with constant work stress or constant going here and there usually just for the sake of it we realise how empty western socities are, espcially once you go west past France. I have yet to see any real efforts from governments or public to look at ways we can tone down our consumerists societies just a tiny wee bit, so we can all still make tons of profit for billionaires and live in relative luxury. We just want to go back to the way things were before, as if it was paradise.

Yes, all that famous migration from west past France to east for a better life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Just on the plan, leo said last night it'll go before cabinet by end of this month and he'll announce it before the 5th

On this. I don't understand why it's all a cloak of secrecy. Why can't they just outline what they are planning to do and then continue planning it until it happens? Why can't they even trust the public to have a bit of information? Plans are likely to change as the situation is doing, but the Irish government don't want to release anything until the concrete has dried.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Maybe I'm looking at this too much from a UK perspective given it's where I am

Makes sense seeing as you're dismissing the earlier restrictions over here as if they didn't matter or happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

China locked down Wuhan fully for 3 months and are still having big issues with this virus even as they try to gradually open things up again. Why do we in the west arrogantly assume we can abandon our half arsed lockdown after 3 and a half weeks?

In other words, a lock-down is completely ineffective.

There is growing evidence to suggest that the rate of infection is not largly affected by the severity or duration of a lockdown.

The only thing we can say with certainty that the lock-down has achieved, is the complete destruction of the economy, which will lead to a huge loss of life in the coming years through underfunding of health and social supports

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Lillyfae wrote: »
    On this. I don't understand why it's all a cloak of secrecy. Why can't they just outline what they are planning to do and then continue planning it until it happens? Why can't they even trust the public to have a bit of information? Plans are likely to change as the situation is doing, but the Irish government don't want to release anything until the concrete has dried.

I really don't think they know themselves what it is they want or can do and don't want to be quoted on anything or give people even a glimmer of hope

Like this planning should have been in place before the last extension to the lockdown before Easter

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Lillyfae wrote: »

I think they dont want to release anything until they have it completed, and set out the road map.
    Its cautious more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Strumms wrote: »
    Dev, Collins, Griffith, Pearce, Connolly, Clarke, McDiarmada... died and fought for freedom, so people could live, not make shît loads of cash for others, international corporations and fûckin die in the process.

Did Dev and Griffith eh... die... so that we could live off a magic money tree indefinitely?

If so, fair play to them. BTW Dev died an old man in his bed in 1975, Griffith the got a brain hemorrhage whilst doing his shoelace in 1922.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: As we have exceeded 10K posts, the thread will continue here.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113234263#post113234263

Please note that all mod warnings and threadbans from this thread will carry through to the next.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement