Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

odyssey06 wrote: »
    And another post where you ignore the people cocooned, families disrupted, people losing jobs with this nonsense.
    Still with the stir crazy strawman ventilator nonsense.

It’s not nonsense at all. It’s literally the entire point of these measures.

I have already acknowledged that it’s more difficult for certain groups, but you’re only seeing the parts of my posts you want to see.

I’m taking about healthy, able-bodied people on here moaning about boredom/ stir-craziness/ not being able to spend time outdoors.

It is an incredibly selfish position to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,055 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

FCUK perspective.

Indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

KiKi III wrote: »

I have already acknowledged that it’s more difficult for certain groups, but you’re only seeing the parts of my posts you want to see.

I’m taking about healthy, able-bodied people on here moaning about boredom/ stir-craziness/ not being able to spend time outdoors.

You are not though. Your first reply was to somebody who mentioned nothing of the sort.

Your tone was condescending and once people pointed out how a lot of people are finding it really difficult you changed your criteria to attack certain groups who like the outdoors.

Then you started going on about people dying on their own and ventilators to try and make everybody feel guilt for stating the bleeding obvious - that a lot of people are finding this really difficult and unsustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

i work in finance and my honest view is the damage caused in the last few weeks to the economy is very serious , but everyone is focused on the virus. no one wants to think about it , including me.
    many businesses will never reopen, paycuts will come, taxes will have to be raised, all those plans to build thousands of council houses, fix health are dead.

But if we are still in any version of lockdown by end of june the damage to the our economy and other western economies will make 2008 pale in comparison.
    i would fully expect major corporations and corporate banks and pension funds to collapse within 6 months.
    we are in very dangerous times

I agree , we are heading for a wicked wicked recession regardless if this ended tomorrow, the last one caused many human losses too , some I know or knew - What if a bank collapsed again, what if the government ran out of funds and and couldnt pay social welfare - What about Doctors who cant get ther car fixed , what if nurses had to take pay cuts , what if computer parts cant be had or phones break - no Zoom or social medioa etc.

Some of the most disturbing scenes I saw , were was when lockdown was imposed on India , the poor and vulnerable , literally had no money or food , panic and hunger immediatly set in , that could happen here if the lockdown was to go on indeinitly , has already stared happening in Italy.

Personally I think we can take this for another few weeks, but then we really have to look at slowly bringing society back a little , Cocoon the vulnerable , practice social distancing and look at the big picture - South Korea seam to do this well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

We're actually going to need tighter restrictions
    There seems to be a lot more people out and about in cars

A lot of cars went up our road today and I haven't a clue who a lot of them are, as we live in a rural area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭chicorytip

odyssey06 wrote: »
    There is a range of options between normal v current restrictioms v previous restrictions. Has anyone said they expect no restrictions in a few weeks?
    I think many believe there will none, yes. People will become complacent anyway and start to engage in risky behaviour. Whatever about restrictions it's all about economics.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

GreeBo wrote: »
    Indeed.

Thanks for missing the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,972 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Certain groups?
    Its most of society being severely disrupted how can you not see that.
    You are talking about a strawman while other people talk about lost jobs, lost futures, family disruptions... this is not sustainable for long and not because people cant go to a park or woods. Its cos they cant work, cant leave their house, cant see their family.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jayp2020

4 weeks is no length. Don’t understand people making such a big deal of it.

For people who live alone and/or are cocooning they're not seeing another person from one end of the week to the next. That's kind of a big deal really. If that's extended for months it's basically a big social experiment that could have dire results for people's mental health.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No one is arguing against the need to do it, so why do you keep bringing it up, as if we are?

Stir crazy isnt about boredom. Its akin to referencing cabin fever. But theres other implications as well. Which go beyond, put the kettle on, randomly pick something on netflix. Be entertained and greatfull you arent struggling to draw your final breath, becuase perspective.

FCUK perspective.

Agree

I've been wfh since early March thought I'd go bat**** crazy last year when I'd had to do the same due to a fracture

I'm doing ok, am temp laid off at the moment so sont even have the structure of work so I've put a plan in place through to the end of April

My partner has worked from home for 20 years, and is not one to go out much. He is really really a struggling to cope with the cabin fever

• Advertisement

A lot of cars went up our road today and I haven't a clue who a lot of them are, as we live in a rural area

Why would tighter restrictions help ... it sounds like already violating current levels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

What's wrong with cars? It would be better if people were driving than out walking and running. If people stuck to cars we could get back to normal next week.

thebaz wrote: »
    I agree , we are heading for a wicked wicked recession regardless if this ended tomorrow, the last one caused many human losses too , some I know or knew - What if a bank collapsed again, what if the government ran out of funds and and couldnt pay social welfare - What about Doctors who cant get ther car fixed , what if nurses had to take pay cuts , what if computer parts cant be had or phones break - no Zoom or social medioa etc.

Personally I think we can take this for another few weeks, but then we really have to look at slowly bringing society back a little , Cocoon the vulnerable , practice social distancing and look at the big picture - South Korea seam to do this well.

Mechanics garages, tyre shops, car sales forecourts have all been closed.

These are essential in my view, more important than off licences, these need to be kept functioning.

People don't seem to realise that unless restrictions are eased soon (as in by May or absolute latest June) there will be another catastrophic wave of job losses and businesses closed.

We will all be cancelling broadband and phone companies, so all these companies will have to let staff go.

The airlines will be grounded completely and won't be able to come back without a lot of recertification of crew and aircraft.

The government will have to slash the €350 payment, and public sector pay, leaving even less money in the economy.

People are still buying premium produce in shops, in another few weeks it will be own brand bread, sausage etc. so premium suppliers of bread, soup, sausages etc. will all have to close, adding to the carnage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

Then you have serious situations like Samantha Fox and her partner Linda Olsen, who have had to put their summer wedding plans on hold. Will the world ever recover

My guess is they are using back roads to avoid guards. Social distancing is the key, so if they are going back roads to get to the local forest parks back gate or a quiet beach that doesn't really cause much harm.

We can't do much more with restrictions really, it might help a little but most people are compliant at this stage so spread has been curtailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

What's wrong with cars? It would be better if people were driving than out walking and running. If people stuck to cars we could get back to normal next week.

I agree, they could build roads in shopping centres as well, with every shop having a pull up and collect option. Drive In cinemas, Drive through restaurants. You could even have a pull up pub and have a pint with your friends parked up.

GooglePlus wrote: »
    I agree, they could build roads in shopping centres as well, with every shop having a pull up and collect option. Drive In cinemas, Drive through restaurants. You could even have a pull up pub and have a pint with your friends parked up.

Except for the drink driving bit:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This threat of long term disruption should push the agenda for testing the wider population, if you are 'post covid' and can be authorised then you should be freer to move about.

Then you have serious situations like Samantha Fox and her partner Linda Olsen, who have had to put their summer wedding plans on hold. Will the world ever recover

Its easy to be dismissive when it hits celebrities but I have friend who had to postpone wedding and it was major issue for them financially.
    The last time we had disruptions like this to the fabric of society was during world wars... I mean homefront disruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

I can't wait for this to be over. I'd rather it be voluntary then mandatory. We learned, we can be responsible

• Advertisement

There would be serious physical and mental health consequences to hundreds of thousands of people unable to leave their house for any long period of time... especially those who already may be struggling with health issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

It depends where they’re going though. I’d never get into my car and just drive around and go home again. If they’re in the car, they’re driving somewhere and the whole point of this exercise is to drive the virus back in to households and out of the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Lavinia wrote: »
    I can't wait for this to be over. I'd rather it be voluntary then mandatory. We learned, we can be responsible

You can. Plenty can’t. I think we saw that two weekends ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

jlm29 wrote: »
    It depends where they’re going though. I’d never get into my car and just drive around and go home again. If they’re in the car, they’re driving somewhere and the whole point of this exercise is to drive the virus back in to households and out of the community.

If they're going to a shop it's better they drive than walk as they won't interact with anyone on the way, same with going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

tdf7187 wrote: »
    The restrictions are already causing disproportionate hardship and should be relaxed if not entirely removed. Sweden has none and is doing fine. But hey it's great for the coppers and their overtime so celebrate.

Is Sweden doing fine ?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭antgal23

Because we are doing this to avoid more people on ventilators. I would have thought that was obvious.

Lots of people have referenced being “stir crazy” which suggests their problem is indeed boredom.

People are allowed to find it difficult, but I consider their difficulty considerably less significant than those who are burying family members without proper funerals.

^
    This

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think some people are ignoring the elephant in the room. Utterly destroying the economy would kill more people than the virus and that's why the lockdown can't be indefinite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

If you can't find gratitude and happiness when you still have a roof over your head, heating, diverse fresh food and all kinds of entertainment around you, consider yourself lucky as you have now discovered you need to train your mind to cope better with life.
    All that mindless drama and consumerism that distracted you is over.

If you live in Ireland, you are most likely in the 1% of world population least affected by this pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Icepick

AdamD wrote: »
    I think some people are ignoring the elephant in the room. Utterly destroying the economy would kill more people than the virus and that's why the lockdown can't be indefinite
    It won't be indefinite but if you relax it too soon, you will end up in the same situation infection wise again but now with even fewer resources to tackle it.

• Advertisement

Icepick wrote: »
    If you can't find gratitude and happiness when you still have a roof over your head, heating, diverse fresh food and all kinds of entertainment around you, consider yourself lucky as you have now discovered you need to train your mind to cope better with life.
    All that mindless drama and consumerism that allowed you to be distracted is over.

While you may have all those nice things, there are plenty who don't.

Like old people trapped in their home alone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement