Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Ironically, it's the lads who think the current restrictions are sustainable for months, that have their heads buried somewhere.

They've been self isolating for years already anyway.

Its round and round and round. They love the lockdown, others are pragmatic, it's up to Leo now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

They've been self isolating for years already anyway.

Its round and round and round. They love the lockdown, others are pragmatic, it's up to Leo now.

Do you think the lockdown isn't pragmatic? As others have said we aren't even in a lockdown like what they've had in Italy or Spain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭oceanman

easypazz wrote: »
    So if you don't know why are you saying it will last a lot longer than people think?
    because some people out there think it will be over in a few weeks:rolleyes:
    lets wait and see will that be the case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Global cases will pass 1 million today.
    There were half a million on march 25.

Doubled in a week. Restrictions going nowhere.
    No county will risk it.
    China being the exception of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

BanditLuke wrote: »
    I think it's the generation we live in. People are more than prepared to put up facebook memes and virtue signal about "staying home for Ireland" etc..but as soon as the novelty wears off they will show their true colours. I've even read people talking about stuff like "can i book a sun holiday in June" ffs .Imagine these people in a real lockdown or war time scenerio :rolleyes:

Have to laugh at posters on boards thinking their generation is any different or superior. Quite pathetic really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭growleaves

'Shoot them dead': Duterte warns against violating lockdown
    "Do not intimidate the government. Do not challenge the government. You will lose," he added in Filipino and English.

Duterte's warning came after residents of a slum in Manila's Quezon City staged a protest along a highway near their shanty houses, claiming they had not received any food packs and other relief supplies since the lockdown began more than two weeks ago.

Village security officers and police urged the residents to go back to their homes, but they refused, a police report said.

Police broke up the protest and arrested 20 people, the report added.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Do you think the lockdown isn't pragmatic? As others have said we aren't even in a lockdown like what they've had in Italy or Spain

I think the continued lockdown isnt pragmatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Global cases will pass 1 million today.
    There were half a million on march 25.

Doubled in a week. Restrictions going nowhere.
    No county will risk it.
    China being the exception of course.

Except we don't all live in one global country...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The government are going to have to articulate a roadmap I think of where we go from here, time-wise, and share it with the public. The suspense and inability to make basic plans will unsettle people, will lead to discontent and could ultimately lead some to ignore the restrictions. This is an entirely human reaction, and one which is somewhat separate from the life-or-death issue at hand here, a point that seems lost on many who virtue-signal.

For example my girlfriend and I live separately 2km away from each other. Both of live alone, and work (partially, even in normal circumstances) from home, and each of us has a lot of equipment connected with our work. As it stands now, we can't see each other other than a wave over the fence when I'm out walking. I do the shopping for both of us and drop it in to her: neither of us have any other contact at the moment. So in ways we are one household over two houses.

Personally I'd like to see a return to the restrictions we had: schools/colleges shut, mass gatherings banned, and a limit on private gatherings to 2 (yes more strict than the previous 4) people. Over 70's and other at-risk groups to remain cocooned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

oceanman wrote: »
    because some people out there think it will be over in a few weeks:rolleyes:
    lets wait and see will that be the case.

Maybe they are right?

I can't see why, by the end of this month, if cases and deaths stabilise, with increased testing, that we can't relax restrictions to allow hardware shops to open and people allowed exercise more than 2kM.

What is your counterargument to retaining the current level of restrictions if numbers don't explode from here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Except we don't all live in one global country...

A+

• Registered Users Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

The spike is estimated to be the week after Easter weekend I can't see them relaxing things until cases are lowering this is definitely gonna be a long haul

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Red Alert wrote: »
    The government are going to have to articulate a roadmap I think of where we go from here, time-wise, and share it with the public. The suspense and inability to make basic plans will unsettle people, will lead to discontent and could ultimately lead some to ignore the restrictions. This is an entirely human reaction, and one which is somewhat separate from the life-or-death issue at hand here, a point that seems lost on many who virtue-signal.

For example my girlfriend and I live separately 2km away from each other. Both of live alone, and work (partially, even in normal circumstances) from home, and each of us has a lot of equipment connected with our work. As it stands now, we can't see each other other than a wave over the fence when I'm out walking. I do the shopping for both of us and drop it in to her: neither of us have any other contact at the moment. So in ways we are one household over two houses.

Personally I'd like to see a return to the restrictions we had: schools/colleges shut, mass gatherings banned, and a limit on private gatherings to 2 (yes more strict than the previous 4) people. Over 70's and other at-risk groups to remain cocooned.

Why don’t you do a two-week shop and move in together? Assuming you see no one else for that period you wouldn’t be putting anyone at risk?

Of course you want to see a roadmap, everyone does - but the government has no crystal ball. They can’t tell you when they will lift measures until they see how effective they have been to date.

Precisely because at the moment both of us want to continue working: I work in IT and Education, she works in the art/crafts sector, needs heavy machinery and a large materials stock and has no broadband. Depending on how things go over the next couple of weeks we might.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Interesting commentary from Spain this morning where they seem to be suggesting allowing more "freedom" based on age - allowing the younger generation a bit more flexibility, and gradually increasing the age, presumably in something like 10 year bands.

Hope if we do anything like that it's not dragging on to October:eek:

Alas there does seem some sense in such an approach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

I think the continued lockdown isnt pragmatic.

Would you be in favour of rolling back to previous restrictions - Pubs closed, Restaurants etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Beasty wrote: »
    Interesting commentary from Spain this morning where they seem to be suggesting allowing more "freedom" based on age - allowing the younger generation a bit more flexibility, and gradually increasing the age, presumably in something like 10 year bands.

Makes perfect sense.

In fact many posters suggested it since the restrictions started here but it didn’t sit well with some folk

I think a lot of people, given the choice, would go back to the previous restrictions. Compliance is likely to be higher than before, people are used to how to behave in shops. In some ways the previous restrictions were never given a chance to work.

Definition of essential businesses should remain very tight as well. Now that many places have had to put their anti-remote-work zealotry aside, there is little argument for bringing large numbers of people back into office environments.

Also the government can use re-imposition the current restrictions as a threat if silly behaviour happens again, like people all crowding beaches.

Beasty wrote: »

People scoff at that notion around here.

The harsh reality is older people and vulnerable groups need to be locked down for their welfare and thus enable the rest of us can get on with things so we can provide for them.

• Advertisement

ITman88 wrote: »
    Makes perfect sense.

In fact many posters suggested it since the restrictions started here but it didn’t sit well with some folk

Yeah, not sure following Spain’s lead in this crisis makes much sense. The whole thing was that kids are spreaders because they don’t understand hygiene or keep their hands to themselves.

It’s been a week, guys. Maybe let’s see if these restrictions are working before making major changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,253 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The harsh reality is older people and vulnerable groups need to be locked down for their welfare and thus enable the rest of us can get on with things so we can provide for them.

But is this practical in reality? Depending on how you define, elderly/vulnerable could constitute 20/25% of the population. Huge proportion of elderly live with children/grandchildren: is it really possible to seal them off from the rest of the household in a virus-proof way?

KiKi III wrote: »
    Yeah, not sure following Spain’s lead in this crisis makes much sense. The whole thing was that kids are spreaders because they don’t understand hygiene or keep their hands to themselves.

It’s been a week, guys. Maybe let’s see if these restrictions are working before making major changes.

Its been longer than that. The measures introduced last week would have made an extra little bit of difference but the social distancing has been around over 2 weeks now.

Why cant they evaluate the risk themselves with all the relevant information, if we provide adequete healthcare, we should let them live their lives.

But is this practical in reality? Depending on how you define, elderly/vulnerable could constitute 20/25% of the population. Huge proportion of elderly live with children/grandchildren: is it really possible to seal them off from the rest of the household in a virus-proof way?

400,000 people in the country have asthma as well.

We're also seeing evidence that Covid-19 is impacting healthy young people as well who have no underlying health issues.

Do we really want to play Russian Roulette with people's lives?

Its been longer than that. The measures introduced last week would have made an extra little bit of difference but the social distancing has been around over 2 weeks now.

It really didn’t count as any kind of a lockdown when you could still move about entirely freely, head to the beach or up the mountains and stop off at the chipper on the way home for a takeaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

KiKi III wrote: »
    It’s been a week, guys.

This sort of comment needs to be banned. Nobody is complaining about the week we have had is unnecessary and that we shouldn't have any more of it. It is the idea that it can continue for several months which is the issue. The "it's been a week" comments completely miss the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭deandean

I heard from a person 'in the know': the lockdown may continue for up to eight weeks total.

Why cant they evaluate the risk themselves with all the relevant information, if we provide adequete healthcare, we should let them live their lives.

Problem is Timmy, we don't know the impact on the health system if we relax all restrictions since a significant number of people will require hospitalisation if they catch this thing.

We could overwhelm it easily if we go too far.

• Advertisement

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    This sort of comment needs to be banned. Nobody is complaining about the week we have had is unnecessary and that we shouldn't have any more of it. It is the idea that it can continue for several months which is the issue. The "it's been a week" comments completely miss the point.

Have you seen any government or health official suggest it will go on for months?

That’s highly unlikely.

The fact is the better people adhere to these measures, the shorter the period we’ll have to deal with them will be.

People who are already calling for easing of restrictions don’t seem to understand that will mean a flare up in the numbers and potentially much more severe restrictions after that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement