Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Stewball

glack wrote: »
    Gloves aren’t hugely effective for the general public. The danger from your hands is not your hands themselves touching the virus, but more you then touch your face with those germ covered hands. That risk still exists when you wear gloves. They give a false sense of security. Regular hand washing and keeping your hands from your face is the key!!

I agree with hand washing & not touching your face is best.

When I'm wearing gloves out and about, they serve as a good reminder not to touch my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Yes. Isolating the highest risk group might stop them dieing in large numbers. People's parents and grandparents.

What's the problem?
    Because Boris said it. I get it

Sure its the same
    Trump closes borders - boo racist bad man, any ither country - smart, proactive, should have been done sooner.

Theres an anti conservative bias online and in the media that just give out about anything the US or UK do because of their leaders

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Pubs all over the country voluntarily closing, if they wait and more scenes like temple bar are posted online govt will have to intervene and importantly the decision of when to reopen will be taken out of the pubs hands

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

niallo27 wrote: »
    You do realise that's hundreds of jobs lost for innocent workers that are just doing their jobs.

Nope theres nobody innocent who was in those pubs yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

nice gesture , well done you . maybe its something we should consider setting up . So likewise . if anybody is concerned about elderly relatives , friends with transport issues etc , Im south of wexford town can do rosslare , carne , kilmore area . Can pick up essentials and deliver

Forgive me for seeming OTT & undermining a good gesture, but if you have the virus how would you protect the people you are doing drop offs to?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

You do realise that's hundreds of jobs lost for innocent workers that are just doing their jobs.

It's not the workers faults. They are the ones ****ed over. The stupid pricks who went out and employers, the blame lies with.

Peoples jobs are at risk in most areas. But still closed to protect staffs health, most importantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

This morning in Europe

Germany +780
    Spain +1360
    Portugal +75
    Austria +145
    Belgium +200
    Norway +95
    Switzerland +840

Countries reporting only serious new cases
    Netherlands +175
    Sweden+30
    France +30
    Finland +20

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Mr.S wrote: »
    Only tourists go there.

They will be absolutely fine. The place prints money.

Thats dissapointing.

Auld lad earlier in Tesco Maynooth literally fondling the packs of sausages! Would pick one up and give them an aul squeeze and a rub and put back on shelf.

One woman was getting stuff from back of shelf so had her whole arm up to the armpit sitting on the stuff at the front as she reached back. Selfish yoke.

Might have been trying to make them bigger

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭paul71

Everyone knows that, most people also know there is something more important than that now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

The final figure every day comes at 12:30 or 1:30 so I wasn't sure. Thanks.

Spain have given an evening update on atleast some of the days too. Around 8.30pm I think. Looking like horrific numbers for today either way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Shn99 wrote: »
    I see Ryanair are axing some of they flights to Spain between Monday the 16th and Thursday the 19th(!!!). Lunacy...are they expecting a miracle between now and thursday. Should all be axed IMO for the period of the lockdown

They are only axing flights where they are not filling them, it is to ensure they stay as profitable as possible. If you want to fly to Spain you can. They are not cancelling flights for the good of anyone's health, believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,165 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Definitely don’t want to see these videos but I wonder are they true?

I wouldn't trust anything I see on social media. Any internet crank can upload a video and claim it's something else - and then it gets retweeted hundreds of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Don't the Chinese blood tests look for antibodies rather than viral load?
    China say they have licensed several kits, and Singapore is testing an experimental one. I'd give more credence to the latter, and that's the lot AFAIK, still nothing published on load or extended life of antibodies , again AFAIK.

'A serological test is advantageous because it can detect antibodies even if a patient has recovered, whereas a PCR test can detect the virus only if the person is currently sick. However, both tests might miss cases if samples are taken too early, when the viral load is too low or if the person's body hasn't produced antibodies against the virus yet, Adalja said.' Dr. Amesh Adalja Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Shn99 wrote: »
    I see Ryanair are axing some of they flights to Spain between Monday the 16th and Thursday the 19th(!!!). Lunacy...are they expecting a miracle between now and thursday. Should all be axed IMO for the period of the lockdown

I would hope they are doing a partial cancellation while putting in place a plan to repatriate those customers they would be obliged to support if not repatriated with the idea of fully cancelling later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

Case in cootehill is that a group of 30 went on a stag to Newcastle last weekend. Then came back and were drinking in the town. 3 tested positive including a garda

• Registered Users Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭Nollog

Boris's plan is to imprison anyone over 70 for 4 months. What a looper.

That's everyone's plan. They're the ones most likely to die from it, so were protecting them from getting it. Borris, Varadkir, anyone else you don't like, even a world leader you do like is doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

On another note, my sister in the Netherlands says she's "probably already had it" and is still sending her 3 year old into creche, putting her elderly Dutch mother in law at risk. They are only testing severe cases over there. I don't know how people aren't keeping themselves informed, I just think they have absolutely no clue the immensity of this and just want to maintain their own "normality", even at the risk of losing everything.
    The Dutch Gov have a similar approach to the British Gov, then.
    And, the virus got into the Netherlands undetected and early, as Amsterdam Schipol is a major hub.
    So it is possible that many had it already with no simptoms, but they did spread it.
    This is why testing (even with no or a few symptoms) is important.

https://nextstrain.org/ncov/2020-03-13?f_country=Netherlands

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

cosanostra wrote: »
    Pubs all over the country voluntarily closing, if they wait and more scenes like temple bar are posted online govt will have to intervene and importantly the decision of when to reopen will be taken out of the pubs hands

Id say theyre doing it incase the government bring in laws, if they volountarily close then therell be nothibg to stop them opening in a week or 2, if the government puts in laws it could be a month .

Roches in donadea is rammed after they put up about closing at 4 today and 1 of the oubs in leixlip “cancelled” their paddys day event after facebook shaming

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

These pricks and gannets out drinking and congregating are like SCABS during a strike.

More than likely Liberal lefties and the sunshine Lollipops and rainbow brigade, trendyides or hipsters is that what they're called nowadays.
    Brown nosing each other and inebriated at the worse pandemic in the 21st century.

The roaring 20's huh

The types who'd stand on top of a building like in the scene from Independence day welcoming the aliens and getting vaporised....for their lack of caution.

Call me what you like and slag me off, insult me, im immune to getting sh1t on boards but better to be safe than sorry.

Like that song by Depeche Mode Enjoy the silence...

That's where im going now, to the hills valleys and shore line of the Burren...

All I ever wanted all I ever needed is.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

case in alaska. that's all 50 states now i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,615 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I said it a week ago but you where one of the lucky ones if you got this early on in Ireland, in a few weeks there will be no beds,

I'd imagine the US will be the most hit by this when its all over and done with ,

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

1 of the oubs in leixlip “cancelled” their paddys day event after facebook shaming

At least social media is doing some good in the middle of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

They are not trying to infect 60% of the population...
    No, they are not. They are going after 80%+, that's what you need for "Herd immunity".

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Id say theyre doing it incase the government bring in laws, if they volountarily close then therell be nothibg to stop them opening in a week or 2, if the government puts in laws it could be a month .

Roches in donadea is rammed after they put up about closing at 4 today and 1 of the oubs in leixlip “cancelled” their paddys day event after facebook shaming
    We currently have no government that can enact laws. DoH guidance or advice is the only way to do it at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Necro wrote: »
    For anyone affected by potential layoffs:

If you have a public services card: Go to the following site and set up a MyGovID account

https://services.mywelfare.ie/

If you can't do this then follow step 2.

If you do not have a PSC or are unable to apply for assistance online:

Call your local office tomorrow. They will advise on activation of an account, or post you the application forms directly.

Please, please do not go into the Intreo centres, we are trying to contain the virus not spread it.

I am led to believe there will be online applications for Supplementary Welfare Allowance and Illness Benefit released by the end of March as well.

Anyone affected by COVID-19 and having a positive diagnosis or medically asked to self isolate should contact Illness Benefit.

I predict chaos once people are compulsory laid off. No way the system handles this. Government needs to prepare very quickly for this. Financially, people will find the novelty of coronavirus lockdown very stressful, very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Ellie2008 wrote: »
    Forgive me for seeming OTT & undermining a good gesture, but if you have the virus how would you protect the people you are doing drop offs to?
    drop off at door , as per recommendations . It's a risk all right , all though slight/medium at moment . Whats the alternative ? some old dear cold or hungry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Uriel. wrote: »
    Well if someone could point out what this legislation is it would be great. As far as I know nightclubs weren't force to close by law. Rather they did so voluntarily - to be socially responsible and/or avoid reputational damage.

My post referred to Austrian Law (Epidemic Act 1950). Here is a link to how they do lockdown in the Tirol region.

https://www.tyrol.com/information-coronavirus

They have now 247 cases in the Tirol region alone, up from 15 last Tuesday.

The ski village of St Anton, where i normally would be for St Patricks Day is in total lockdown as is Ischgl, where this outbreak started for thr region (and possibly Iceland). In Ischgl, it centered around one bar, where a Norwegian barman is believed to have infected 15 of his colleague's. This bar was closed, and a no. of hoiurs later, all apres ski bars in Ischgl were ordered to close. Within 48hrs the whole area was closed, then St Anton closed on Friday afternoon, followed by ordes for the rest of the Tirol, then Volarberg, Salzburrgerland and Carinthia. Such is the power of state legislation.

Ischgl is a good case to look at. It was flagged by Iceland as a high risk area when returning holiday makers tested possitive. The authorities in Ischgl, possibly to protect tourisim income said they must have got it in Munich on the way home. (They also did not report it to local authoriries according to media in Denmark who state 129 citizens infected following a trip to Ischgl)
    Iceland said not possible they got it on the way home as the symptoms would not come in that quickly. From there, it must have become a diplomatic matter as it all came crashing down for Ischgl within 48hrs.

What will happen here in the next 3/4 days? A nation holds its breath, while some order another pint, or head north to get one. Based on Austrias example, the bars need to close!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Vintners Association acknowledging on RTE Radio 1 that the pubs will be closed with immediate effect. Government meeting later this afternoon. The pubs will be closed tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Be an awful lot of gloves used if you're expecting them to change gloves after every customer!

My point is they'd be better to ditch the gloves entirely and wash there hands a few times during their shift. I'm betting they're wearing the same pair of gloves for hours.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement