Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

paul71 wrote: »
    Ah come on, thats rubbish.
    Please provide proof as it's just your spoofing versus my spoofing as we stand!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Naggdefy wrote: »
    South Korea jumped in deaths from 110 odd Friday to 190 approx yesterday. You wouldn't know that I'd imagine.

This is an evolving situation. If you took time to read about the 1918 pandemic it was the second wave caused most deaths. Viruses mutate etc

It's just that people wanted to look at the death rate in South Korea to feel better, when they were testing so much and so fast it meant their death lag would be more pronounced than most.

They're still definitely doing something right and managing to just about keep on top of things so far, but we can't be looking at a couple of weeks at the start and draw anything definitive. Day to day changes are very dangerous to be looking at too but we all do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Im thinking the brits have it spot on with herd immunity. What im witnessing in ireland today is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

dan786 wrote: »
    Hong Kong issued a "red" travel alert urging people to adjust their plans and avoid non-essential travel to Ireland, Britain and the United States, as the city hunkers down to contain any further outbreak of coronavirus in the global financial hub

Only those three countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Total cases outside China have now exceeded total cases inside China. The EU will overtake China sometime in the next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

The problem in a nutshell

From Italy

While new patients are being admitted to the Sacco Hospital, one of the largest medical centers in Italy, every five minutes, Galli said virus-free patients are being discharged every two or three hours.

"We are getting close to not being able to accept new patients. There is a complete saturation of beds,"

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/coronavirus-lockdown-italy-weeks-virus-peak-expert/story?id=69557068&cid=referral_taboola_feed

• Registered Users Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Im thinking the brits have it spot on with herd immunity. What im witnessing in ireland today is a joke.

There is no proof of herd immunity to this virus so I'm curious how you think they have it spot on? They NHS will be utterly overwhelmed with their plan very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 23,149 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Case in cootehill is that a group of 30 went on a stag to Newcastle last weekend. Then came back and were drinking in the town. 3 tested positive including a garda

You'll probably find some people being made pariahs in smaller towns for this behaviour when all this passes, especially if it results in a death in the town.

No harm either. Selfish behaviour like that should be punished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭paul71

is_that_so wrote: »
    Please provide proof as it's just your spoofing versus my spoofing as we stand!:)

Already done, there was never ANY requirement for committee stages.

Please provide a link showing there was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

YFlyer wrote: »
    Only those three countries?

Of course not, those are the countries added today.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,990 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's my birthday :( but the good news is that I have not entered a risk group that is any higher than was already the case. :)
    Lucky so & so - my risk category escalates considerably later this year.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

So do I? Old people and most at risk have to look after themselves. We have to make it as easy as we can for them. And give them all the support we can. Give them free online shopping, home care, other stuff to boost morale. Stopping society from moving is a completely disproportionate response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

My friend in the UK said things feel very relaxed over there. Everybody going around like normal. Her sister-in-law has CYSTIC FIBROSIS and went on a trip this weekend, going to bars and restaurants. I cannot believe that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Spook_ie wrote: »
    But if there is no immunity from the virus i.e you can catch it multiple times, then there's ****all we can do except bend over and kiss our asses goodbye.

There was a thought that up to 14% of people were susceptible to get it again; looking at this properly though, it looks like its pretty rare that it happens and is more down to the tests not be accurate enough to tell that its gone

• Registered Users Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

What exactly are you witnessing? This thread is utterly hysterical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Have to say here in Fermoy it's the opposite, everyone very aware and keeping the distance. Pubs closing down at 6 tonight seemingly, my estate is already in lock down mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Drumpot wrote: »
    Switzerland 2nd, Norway 3rd most infected per capita in the world through officials testing confirmations.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Click on far right “total cases per million”. Most of the top 20 are European countries. We are number 22 in the world and haven’t announced our numbers today which means we prob jump
    At least into top 20 later. I think actual amount of cases if fooling us (population , not government/authorities) into thinking we aren’t that bad.

Smaller countries will top this. Testing/numbers have to be looked at in context. Its always playing catch up. Will take a long time for it to tell the true story

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭jos28

Necro wrote: »
    The latest news I have on that is that it is 'likely' it will also be waived.

But they are waiting on government announcements re: same.

Thanks Necro, hopefully that happens, it would make it a bit easier for anyone claiming. Although it would be great if employers were told to pay employees the €204 JSB directly and claim it back in bulk. It would save a lot of admin for the Department.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Isn't herd immunity something that takes years to build up?

The UK are expecting this to happen in a matter of months and condemning their elderly/ill citizens to death or permanent self isolation in the interim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

On a lighter note, Ready, Steady - Cook! Is being rebooted just in time for the pandemic. For those of you too young to remember the original - two groups of contestants get a few mystery ingredients and compete to make the best meal. I can just imagine it now - dried penne, can of beans & some dog food!

paul71 wrote: »
    Already done, there was never ANY requirement for committee stages.

Please provide a link showing there was.
    Yes, all cleared up now thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

copletely agree, those thinking that we halt everything to the crawl now await for social handouts, imagine after its over there will be easy to get a job, know of few staff that opted out before this crap kicked off, surely no entitlement should be given in such cases, as many think we live in era where everything is automated harsh reality is its still mass factories shops, delivery people and those on the front lines of any business still having to operate no matter what.

as any doc nurse could say the same, same goes for every shop, if theres no workers then **** starts to roll hard, but sure keep saying few weeks off and well be grand, as reality is preparing should be done from medical field army to setup whatever is needed rest vunerable should take care of themselves and same goes for elderly people, but quite few dodgers here hysteric that everything isnt halted prob would be same people complaining if they couldn't get food or meds, because what they wished for happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,054 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Beasty wrote: »

Are you pregnant?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 lak

How do they seperate those over 70's and those with underlying conditions from family members who they live with.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Beasty wrote: »

Time for a spin in a DeLorean methinks :D

Can you tell the Chinese about COVID-19 on your way :pac:

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Satturnfalls

Parents both in their 70s are worried now. I fèel bad for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Ellie2008 wrote: »
    I understand it’s a nice thing to do but if day you did 15 drops off & you were infected chances are you could infect someone, they say it can survive in surfaces for a certain amount of time. Surgical gloves maybe?
    no gloves , straight up to door big hugs and kisses and demanding payment in dirty money there and then . if the cant pay there and then pick up my goodies and leave after spitting in their face .

OF COURSE I'LL TAKE ALL PRECAUTIONS TO MANAGE RISK as per all advice given
    ffs you make a small gesture to help out

wont be replying to any more daft posts.. THE OFFER IS THERE FOR ANYBODY WHO WANTS . PM ME and i'll provide name and mobile no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Have a friend whos a HVAC engineer , was called up to ikea yesterday to look at something and he said the place was rammed with people buying things , using the time do do up the house id imagine. Strange outcomes this is causing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement