Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,015 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Cant decide if the UK strategy is the right approach or not. My biggest concern is on the same island the HSE are trying to contain it while NHS is trying to accelerate the spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Just shows how idiotic it was to host the cheltenham festival.greed.
    I’m expecting big fallout from them crowds in the next 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

alastair wrote: »
    Not to mention the zombies.

Also the asteroid...... straight for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

YFlyer wrote: »
    Who is Coventry? The UK older population looks like they could be sent to Coventry.

Predictive text didn’t recognise the name of our esteemed Tanaiste....sorry...
    :D
    If they sen5 them all to Coventry and locked it down,they might have some hope,God help them with the current “strategy”

• Registered Users Posts: 35,888 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Deaths in UK will be 250,000 doing what they are doing. But why on earth isn't everyone closing them off from rest of world, let them have their Death Fest if that's what they insist upon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,360 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Clare Celebs :rolleyes: wow
    That'd be the 2013 Senior Hurling Team

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

155 more cases in the Netherlands, and 127 in Sweden.
    Both these countries are now only testing severe cases for COVID-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,423 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I’m asking this question on behalf of my grandmother who is a mass goer but she’s wondering if masses are cancelled ? I think they are but can’t find a definitive yes.

No weekend masses in Cloynee.
    Weekday masses are going ahead for now.
    No masses on St.Patricks Day tough.
    Morning masses will be busy on Monday I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Police currently clearing the beaches in Spain, you know it is serious when you see that!

I just looked at webcam fuengirola, there’s almost no one around, which is pretty unusual for a Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

nthclare wrote: »
    Luckily for me, I am a bit of a lone wolf and tend to roam hills and cliff walks etc and have 4 good friends amongst maybe 10 others where we are not too close but frequently we go fishing, hiking and surfing together.

But we're all a bid odd anyhow, maybe misfits as in don't conform to herd mentality and all non drinkers or druggers so we're not going to be socially effected by lack of contact.
    We thrive on solitude and the great outdoors.

We now and again have really deep conversations about what would happen if there was a shutdown or we had a virus in our midst.

We'd not suffer through lack of human interaction etc

Its the jocks and gannets I have concern about, the self proclaimed middle classes who have no coping skills unless they're out necking beer, wine or a few lines of coke to be able to fit in and be accepted and validated by their peers.

They're the people who could crack during this, and more liable to spread the virus than most people.

Walked past a well known bar in ennis yesterday evening and the usual local self absorbed Clare celebs and good looking guys and women in their huddle inside drinking and not a care in the world.
    I hope they will be safe and sound but knowing some of their self indulgent habits they'll more than likely be in the thick of it and demanding special treatment and walk over anyone to get what they want.
    The don't realise that viruses dont discriminate but when its too late they'll be off their heads with anxiety.

How do I know?

Because I was once like them, I thought like them, behaved like them, that feeling of insecurity and egotistical self indulgence takes years to recover from thats for sure.

17 years off the hooch and away from the dick heads and gannets, if this was 2003 id be out there drinking and being full of **** like the pint men driving Audis and vino Mini Cooper wrecks.

When disaster strikes better to be a nobody rather wanting to be a somebody.

Who are the celebs from Clare?!! :o:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Something that concerned me this week was business continuing as normal at Beaumount hospital with crowds of non urgent out-patients queuing for appointments, as well as many students from DCU who often sit in to observe minor surgical procedures and the like.

The chatter around the hospital on Thursday afternoon was more concerned with madness at nearby Clare Hall Shopping Centre than any imminent risk of a virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Could be the Bikini Inspection Police.

I always seem to miss the recruitment windows for that lot. And I'd be so damn good at it, I'm semi-pro as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,406 ✭✭✭Damien360

Blueshoe wrote: »
    We may finally see the collapse of the parasite that is capitalism. The glorious dawn of communism is upon us.

Yes, Kim Jong is doing a fine job in North Korea. Sure aren’t they all living a life of luxury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

Spain to be put in full lock down from 8am on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Boris will burn at the ballot box for doing nothing.

He's boxed himself in. If he does nothing while every other country goes into lock down then he is truly damned. If he now says "okay we'll go into lock down" then he's admitting his initial strategy, which he defended publicly, was wrong and will have killed people. Lose, lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

ITman88 wrote: »
    Possibly a world war.
    People starving and dying as what happens now in 3rd world countries happening then in 1st world countries.
    Russian Migs intercepted twice in one day in Irish airspace recently. Jets from RAF intercepted them, not much about it tho.
    No many on this thread I from what I’ve read will cope with the real horror that’s coming.
    A reversal of fortunes where Asia will be the superpower is very likely and Europe resembles sub Saharan Africa

In fairness, though, you have a tenuous enough grasp on what is 'very likely'.

Akrasia wrote: »
    If someone is tested as negative, then they do not need to avoid their elderly relatives when their symptoms ease, but if they are tested as positive, then they definitely should avoid contact with any vulnerable people until they are advised that they are clear of the disease.

There are a lot of people out there caring for elderly relatives, not full time carers, but checking in on them every day, and for them getting tested is important.

But what about the HSE's home support package for elderly people? Isn't this going to have to be suspended at some point? Carers going into people's house looking after the elderly could spread infection. Does the HSE have a plan B here?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

One thing I've learned already is how versatile our mighty spud is. I bought one of the big bags a couple of weeks back and just used the last of it. Chips, crisps, soup, as well as the regular baked and mashed. It has to be the most cost effective €7 I've spent, but I just couldn't be bothered up to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well they probably get it but not the full scope of it. I think the UK not doing something similar to us isn't helping us because people look across as the uk and the number of cases they have and what they aren't doing and think maybe we've jumped the gun.

I don't think they do get it. They think a bit of hand gel and it's grand.

My dad was saying, sure, you can't just stay in for weeks.

Why not?!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ande1975 wrote: »
    Got a power walk in early this morning to avoid people and ended up in Cork City Centre. There was a gang of late teen/early twenties knackers screaming and shouting at people, running in front of buses, cars and generally acting like d1cks.
    I spotted a squad car driving alongside them (and initially thought yerra, they'll just drive by but no!) Paddy wagon pulls up as well as squad car and the Gardai were all over the little fcukers.
    Fair play to them.
    Of course there were lads sitting out having pints at 9:30 this am... WTF is wrong with people?!

I'd love a pint right now

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Deaths in UK will be 250,000 doing what they are doing.

Double that, then double it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Boris will burn at the ballot box for doing nothing.

They may be building statues of Boris in a few years for the courageous decisions he's taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The 10 who died in last 24 hours were 70+ years all had underlying medical conditions.

People having a pop at the UK policy are probably holders of a PhD in viral transmission I assume.

(nobody knows which policy is right at the moment - if there is a right one)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

nthclare wrote: »
    Luckily for me, I am a bit of a lone wolf and tend to roam hills and cliff walks etc and have 4 good friends amongst maybe 10 others where we are not too close but frequently we go fishing, hiking and surfing together.

But we're all a bid odd anyhow, maybe misfits as in don't conform to herd mentality and all non drinkers or druggers so we're not going to be socially effected by lack of contact.
    We thrive on solitude and the great outdoors.

We now and again have really deep conversations about what would happen if there was a shutdown or we had a virus in our midst.

We'd not suffer through lack of human interaction etc

Its the jocks and gannets I have concern about, the self proclaimed middle classes who have no coping skills unless they're out necking beer, wine or a few lines of coke to be able to fit in and be accepted and validated by their peers.

They're the people who could crack during this, and more liable to spread the virus than most people.

Walked past a well known bar in ennis yesterday evening and the usual local self absorbed Clare celebs and good looking guys and women in their huddle inside drinking and not a care in the world.
    I hope they will be safe and sound but knowing some of their self indulgent habits they'll more than likely be in the thick of it and demanding special treatment and walk over anyone to get what they want.
    The don't realise that viruses dont discriminate but when its too late they'll be off their heads with anxiety.

How do I know?

Because I was once like them, I thought like them, behaved like them, that feeling of insecurity and egotistical self indulgence takes years to recover from thats for sure.

17 years off the hooch and away from the dick heads and gannets, if this was 2003 id be out there drinking and being full of **** like the pint men driving Audis and vino Mini Cooper wrecks.

When disaster strikes better to be a nobody rather wanting to be a somebody.
    I'm really glad to hear your group will cope well. My partner and I are saving for a mortgage so we've put the social life to one side anyway for the last six months. Partner is currently out of work but at least we have cashflow from my salaries and even fewer outgoings than usual (cancelled all the unnecessary subscriptions too, Netflix, Spotify etc). We don't really do drugs and we're rationing the bit of drink we have so we're actually taking it in our element and not getting too bogged down with the depressing aspects of it. I'm sure there'll be plenty more misery down the line but we'll just handle that as it comes. It's good to have a support network, I hope yourself and your buddies keep in touch regularly.

My parents are older, I've been making sure to keep them briefed on the situation. There was a time they weren't taking it as seriously as they should have been, but they're on full lock-down now. They care for my adult brother, who has special needs. After two decades of minding him and not being able to go out, losing a lot of their 'friends' (people can be very uncomfortable if things get too "real" in someone else's life), they're looking at the kind of people that you mentioned with a lot of empathy, because they remember what a shock to the system it was losing their freedom and being limited by circumstances.

I did also find out that my mother went and babysat for my sister [snipped]. I wrote out a full on death threat to my sister in a message telling her NOT to put our mother at risk like that and then didn't send it, called her and spoke to her civilly. It's very hard not to react with intensity when the lives of people you love are on the line and NOBODY WILL LISTEN TO You! I'm quite sure though after this weekend the situation will become glaringly apparent to all but the most ignorant.

On another note, my sister [snipped] says she's "probably already had it" and is still sending her 3 year old into creche, putting her elderly mother in law at risk. They are only testing severe cases over there. I don't know how people aren't keeping themselves informed, I just think they have absolutely no clue the immensity of this and just want to maintain their own "normality", even at the risk of losing everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Flights turned around en route to Spain! Take a look at the Flightradar24 picture

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51887707

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Damien360 wrote: »
    Yes, Kim Jong is doing a fine job in North Korea. Sure aren’t they all living a life of luxury.

You will be pulled apart by wild dogs. Your family will spend their days working in the fields

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

There is more chat on here about what the uk are doing than Ireland. Perhaps because we have no idea what our government are doing and it’s a case of ‘look over there not here’.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,990 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

ITman88 wrote: »
    Possibly a world war.
    People starving and dying as what happens now in 3rd world countries happening then in 1st world countries.
    Russian Migs intercepted twice in one day in Irish airspace recently. Jets from RAF intercepted them, not much about it tho.
    No many on this thread I from what I’ve read will cope with the real horror that’s coming.
    A reversal of fortunes where Asia will be the superpower is very likely and Europe resembles sub Saharan Africa
    Do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

oh no this is bad

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

joe40 wrote: »
    Much as this pains me to say I think the British approach has some merit. I can't stand Johnson or the Tories but this is coming from their chief medical officer and his colleagues.
    Our approach is also temporary. A shut down cannot be permanent, and this virus is not going away. We will have to function as a society while simultaneously deal with covid 19.
    A vaccine is also a long way off.
    Ultimately though my opinion means nothing I will follow the advice of scientist in this country. My feeling is we need to either do full shutdown for a few weeks pubs clubs etc not just school to slow it down. But I also feel there is no stopping it.

Responsible people can self isolate already, the need for lock down is basically to reinforce the rule with those who are currently not giving a damn

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement