Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    "The Temple Bar closed from immediate effect"...on their facebook page.

Wondering if it is their own initiative or if they got a call from a government department.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Gods Gift wrote: »
    North can’t be seen to follow the republic as unionists have to follow boris and kin. No matter what.

Arlene is particularly obtuse, during the foot and mouth crisis in 2001, the pragmatic Ian paisley declared that all the cattle and sheep were Irish now ( or words to that effect)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Boris's plan is to imprison anyone over 70 for 4 months. What a looper.

Rumours that care home workers are being told they will be also locked up for the duration and recieve no extra pay or benefits for the inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Longing wrote: »
    Spanish numbers will be horrific at 8pm

Again, numbers are going to skyrocket for the next few weeks and months. To be expected unfortunately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Boris's plan is to imprison anyone over 70 for 4 months. What a looper.

Bit of a stretch there again pal.
    They are the most at risk group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

d51984 wrote: »

Once again, Im around the Dublin 5 and 17 areas with a car. Any one has any elderly relatives or know anyone on their own that needs to go shopping /doctors ,or if there stuck for milk/ bread etc, Im only a pm away. Same goes to any front line staff that needs lifts to or from work, any time of the day/night. Im here.
    nice gesture , well done you . maybe its something we should consider setting up . So likewise . if anybody is concerned about elderly relatives , friends with transport issues etc , Im south of wexford town can do rosslare , carne , kilmore area . Can pick up essentials and deliver

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

wakka12 wrote: »
    1360 new cases in Spain so far today.
    Is that the dailly figure or an announcement from or two regions?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Big backlash against the vintners on the news over their behavior. Good to see.

Serves the parasites right, i hope every pub that was openly serving in breach of the distancing advice goes out of business in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Any word yet on wether there will be a press conference this evening or an email sent out to media outlets?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Is that the dailly figure or an announcement from or two regions?

It is the second of three or four daily additions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You are just getting worse.

"People will die anyway"

You should be afcukingshamed of yourself.

He's right though. Tough choices will have to be made, what's the point of surviving if there is nothing to go back to?

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭glack

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I was in lidl yesterday, only one till operator wearing gloves and i was the only customer gloved up

Gloves aren’t hugely effective for the general public. The danger from your hands is not your hands themselves touching the virus, but more you then touch your face with those germ covered hands. That risk still exists when you wear gloves. They give a false sense of security. Regular hand washing and keeping your hands from your face is the key!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Shn99 wrote: »
    Any word yet on wether there will be a press conference this evening or an email sent out to media outlets?

No word yet but I would imagine there will be a press conference. Expect the HSE to lash into some of the irresponsible publicans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭Nollog

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I was in lidl yesterday, only one till operator wearing gloves and i was the only customer gloved up

The staff wear gloves so they don't burn the hands off themselves washing them after every customer.
    You wash your hands or wear gloves before and or after the till for your safety.

The staff afaik were instructed to wash hands before and after changing position, between till and stocking usually, which they do all the time in Lidl and aldi so they choose to wear the gloves for the above reason in most cases.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

OU812 wrote: »
    So, hypothetically, if someone had to sign on (I'm likely to be laid off in the next month), how exactly are we supposed to do it if we've to socially distance or in the event of a lockdown?

There's going to be an awful lot of people signing on in the next few months, is it possible to do remotely, online?

For anyone affected by potential layoffs:

If you have a public services card: Go to the following site and set up a MyGovID account

https://services.mywelfare.ie/

If you can't do this then follow step 2.

If you do not have a PSC or are unable to apply for assistance online:

Call your local office tomorrow. They will advise on activation of an account, or post you the application forms directly.

Please, please do not go into the Intreo centres, we are trying to contain the virus not spread it.

I am led to believe there will be online applications for Supplementary Welfare Allowance and Illness Benefit released by the end of March as well.

Anyone affected by COVID-19 and having a positive diagnosis or medically asked to self isolate should contact Illness Benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,867 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Bit of a stretch there again pal.
    They are the most at risk group.

It's officially their plan. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Herd Immunity, by journalist Robert Peston.

The UK government recently enacted its second phase of response to the COVID-19 pandemic: “delay”. According to ITV journalist Robert Peston, the government’s strategy to minimise the impact of COVID-19 “is to allow the virus to pass through the entire population so that we acquire herd immunity, but at a much delayed speed so that those who suffer the most acute symptoms are able to receive the medical support they need, and such that the health service is not overwhelmed and crushed by the sheer number of cases it has to treat at any one time”. At face value, this seems like a sound strategy, but what exactly is herd immunity and can it be used to combat COVID-19?

Our bodies fight infectious diseases through the actions of our immune systems. When we recover, we often retain an immunological memory of the disease that enables us to fight off that same disease in the future. This is how vaccines work, creating this immune memory without requiring getting sick with the disease.

LINK;
    https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/...lly-protect-us

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

155 more cases in the Netherlands, and 127 in Sweden.
    Both these countries are now only testing severe cases for COVID-19.

the genomic data in Nextstrain is now showing that the Netherlands were one of the main gateways of Coronavirus into Europe, together with Germany.
    Likely due to the direct flights to Amsterdam Schipol.

if you take the map for North Brabant, for example, there are early introductions from Iran and China.
    https://nextstrain.org/ncov/2020-03-13?f_division=North%20Brabant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I presume the WhatsApp audio of an announcement at 8am tomorrow morning is false?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭CosmicJay

I would normally have a pint of cider and switch to the minerals if I was on Desi D know I’m sayin.

Sure the roads are so empty with everyone home ye can cruise home after 4 or 5 jars no bother.

Always the bright side boys.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

It is the second of three or four daily additions

The final figure every day comes at 12:30 or 1:30 so I wasn't sure. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

VinLieger wrote: »
    Serves the parasites right, i hope every pub that was openly serving in breach of the distancing advice goes out of business in the coming weeks.
    You do realise that's hundreds of jobs lost for innocent workers that are just doing their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,372 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    "The Temple Bar closed from immediate effect"...on their facebook page.

Say it'll need a rename before it reopens. Unless they are just aiming for the absolute dregs as regulars.

Feedback underneath is justifiably scathing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

bloody bat munchers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

It's officially their plan. ?

Yes. Isolating the highest risk group might stop them dieing in large numbers. People's parents and grandparents.

What's the problem?
    Because Boris said it. I get it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

I see Ryanair are axing some of they flights to Spain between Monday the 16th and Thursday the 19th(!!!). Lunacy...are they expecting a miracle between now and thursday. Should all be axed IMO for the period of the lockdown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Route1 wrote: »
    What’s the story? Are we getting off work lads?

Oh very probably. But no wages for private sector of course. Thrown to the wind by insulated public servants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Prop Joe wrote: »
    the UK have 1 ventilator per 12,000 people id imagine we’d have something similar.So id say approx 500

apparently most of the worlds ventilators for medical use are made in medtronics in galway. Hopefully they can ramp up production,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I presume the WhatsApp audio of an announcement at 8am tomorrow morning is false?

Total waffle. It amazes me how many bullshítters there are out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

The videos that are doing the rounds on twitter, that showing the police in China making their way through high rise apartment blocks in Wuhan, unlocking/unbolting/unwelding the doors of apartments only to find bodies laying on the floor after collapsing. One video shows a young man in an apartment with two dead. They may have been his parents/relatives. He looked distraught. God only knows how many more there are like this. It's very sad.

Definitely don’t want to see these videos but I wonder are they true?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement