Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid-19 Part VII - 169 cases ROI (2 deaths) 45 in NI (as of 15 March) *Read OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

People saying “Horrific” numbers from Spain, you know most of those infected are probably just sitting inside playing FIFA with their friends. It isn’t horrific at all.
    If you dont know what is happening in spain keep silent pls

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Blueshoe wrote: »
    It's not even anti conservative. It's a clear indication that people absorb and base their opinions from the media.

You will see zero positive stories about Trump , Boris etc on the news so many know no better.

Remember the basics : when times are good people complain about our own government
    When times are bad our government are doing their best but Boris and Trump are terrible.

Trump and Boris were both democratically elected. The opinions of Irish people are irrelevant in the grand scheme.

As is your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Italy stopped flights from China in January.

How is that working out for them?

Know we now (from genomic data) that the virus was introduced early in Europe, early cases in the Netherlands and Germany which appear to have been the main gateways thanks to the busy airport hubs.

See for NL
    https://nextstrain.org/ncov/2020-03-13?f_country=Netherlands

and for Germany
    https://nextstrain.org/ncov/2020-03-13?f_country=Germany

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

paul71 wrote: »
    That is incorrect, we do have a government and ministers and a Dail. That government can bring legislation to the Houses or Oirechtas if required and if the Houses of Oireachtas vote it through it becomes law. No different to any other time.
    It needs to go through the appropriate stages, via committees and the like, which we don't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

Isn't the virus not predicted to peak in May at the earliest?

So if we shut everything down now (pubs etc) wouldn't we get fatigue before the peak and open back up too early?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Vintners rep just on the RTE Radio news saying pubs are going to close. He said the government isolation guidelines are unworkable in a pub context.

No sh1t Sherlock. I am seriously considering offering myself to the government as an advisory expert. I and many other's saw it is an unworkable recommendation days ago and yet just before the Vintners said so, Paschal O Donoghue was interviewed and was still saying we will act if people don't observe the guidelines.

The guidelines were wrong - move harder and faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Government need to open up the Apple bank account!

If they did, cheque in the post for approx. € 2,600 to every man, woman and child in the country!

Yipee!

Might not be a bad idea when this is all over. The economy is going to need a kick start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

rob316 wrote: »
    He's right though. Tough choices will have to be made, what's the point of surviving if there is nothing to go back to?

He's not right, he contradicted himself. How can he see the benefit of a lockdown easing pressure on the health system and then say it's pointless?

I will tell you how...because he's talking shyte.

Tough choices are being made and neither you or that other lad have any clue whats going on.

If there is an enforced lockdown, its not going to last 2 weeks. It will last until confirmed cases slow to a rate where the health service can maintain control.

If boys and girls do what is required, limit contact and potential community spread, we can control it and get back to normal as soon as possible.

If we maintain free movement, yer man's vicious circle will contine.

You cannot have it both ways at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

95 dead in Spain already today.

Going to be even worse than Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

You'd think someone working in the HSE would have a bit more cop on...

You are potentially endangering more than just your own life. I hope you know that! (But I'm sure you do!) Selfish **** !! :mad:

C’est la vie. Life goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

In maynooth driving. Obriens coffee shop wedged. Supernacs wedged. Mcdonalds wedged.

Well done all.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Wrong. The government don't enact laws, the Dail does.
    Yeah and there's a process to it which can't function at present. It's not just a Dail vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭jos28

With regard to staff lay offs and claiming Jobseekers, does anyone know how many 'waiting' days are involved for a new claim. I know they have eliminated the 6 waiting day rule for anyone with Covid19 claiming Disability benefit. Just wondering what the story is with Jobseekers, can't find anything on the Department site

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Breaking - Spain reports 2,000 new virus cases and more than 100 deaths in 24 hours.

The new figures raise Spain's number of Covid-19 infections to 7,753 and its death toll to 288.

The government there has imposed a near-total nationwide lockdown, banning people from leaving home except to go to work, get medical care or buy food.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

alastair wrote: »
    As is your own.

Not at all.
    I hate them all equally

• Registered Users Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

is_that_so wrote: »
    It needs to go through the appropriate stages, via committees and the like, which we don't have.

That's what happens in the normal course of events. Those procedures may be suspended where emergency legislation is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭paul71

Ah come on, thats rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Never seen anybody do the things u did before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Hearing of a lot of activity in the Curragh army base the past few days from a friend who lives in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Switzerland 2nd, Norway 3rd most infected per capita in the world through officials testing confirmations.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Click on far right “total cases per million”. Most of the top 20 are European countries. We are number 22 in the world and haven’t announced our numbers today which means we prob jump
    At least into top 20 later. I think actual amount of cases if fooling us (population , not government/authorities) into thinking we aren’t that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Hong Kong issued a "red" travel alert urging people to adjust their plans and avoid non-essential travel to Ireland, Britain and the United States, as the city hunkers down to contain any further outbreak of coronavirus in the global financial hub

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

The UK plan is based on the assumption that you can actually get herd immunity to this virus - no evidence of that, in fact some instances showing quite the opposite. The other assumption is that people under 70 will in the main be grand - again a massive assumption.

But if there is no immunity from the virus i.e you can catch it multiple times, then there's ****all we can do except bend over and kiss our asses goodbye.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,990 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Inquitus wrote: »
    Thread Lockdown?
    Comment was made when I closed another thread. Another mod was merging it in here around the same time!

That's what happens in the normal course of events. Those procedures may be suspended where emergency legislation is needed.
    Link to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Are all pubs closing? How about hotel bars?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

jos28 wrote: »
    With regard to staff lay offs and claiming Jobseekers, does anyone know how many 'waiting' days are involved for a new claim. I know they have eliminated the 6 waiting day rule for anyone with Covid19 claiming Disability benefit. Just wondering what the story is with Jobseekers, can't find anything on the Department site

The latest news I have on that is that it is 'likely' it will also be waived.

But they are waiting on government announcements re: same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭paul71

Yeah and there's a process to it which can't function at present. It's not just a Dail vote.

You are making that up.

Overview
    Before a Bill can be enacted, it must be passed by both the Dáil and the Seanad. In order to be passed, a Bill must go through several distinct Stages in each House.

A Bill that is initiated by a TD is debated first in the Dáil. If the Dáil passes the Bill, it is then debated in the Seanad. A Bill initiated by a Senator is debated first in the Seanad and then in the Dáil. Only when both Houses have passed a Bill can the President sign it into law.

If the Dáil passes a Bill, the Seanad can delay its becoming law, not stop it. If the Seanad votes not to pass a Bill, the Bill will lapse after 180 days. However, the Dáil has the power, within those 180 days, to pass a resolution declaring that the Bill is deemed to have been passed by both Houses.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/visit-and-learn/how-parliament-works/how-laws-are-made/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

People still dont seem to understand that this is passed person to person..........dont know how they dont understand it.

Unnecessary close contact with people MAY NOT prolong the crisis and MAY NOT result in more deaths.

Its actually quite simple....like some peoples minds.

ALSO TRUE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Are there any cross border workers on this forum. If so what are your plans for wed. I work in the north, live in Donegal. I can't just unilaterally decide not to go into work. Might call in sick or something, never done that before in my life, but what are the options.
    Anyone in similar position.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement