Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2020 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JosTep

Well today is the day I expect to be told

"I wish to inform you that you did not reach the qualifying standard and therefore you will not be invited to the next stage of the process"

And i close down everything and say sod this and go off and put my tail between my legs and watch Netflix for the afternoon - just hope its not after clock off time

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Marie_C

Keep the head up. Hopefully you get a positive response, if not, you have a draft of a detailed application (which is no small feat) and practice at the tests (also no fun). Well done for taking the time to apply, there will be hundreds who didn’t put in the effort. Fingers crossed for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭SFC1895

JosTep wrote: »

"I wish to inform you that you did not reach the qualifying standard and therefore you will not be invited to the next stage of the process"

And i close down everything and say sod this and go off and put my tail between my legs and watch Netflix for the afternoon - just hope its not after clock off time

That's a great attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Chocolate Teapot

Are the results expected today?

Are the results expected today?

There seems to be a pattern of results for stage 1 after 3 weeks in some PAS comps but there’s no guarantee. Depends on number of applicants, resources in PAS, checks etc. Hopefully we’ll hear soon but I just put it out of my head until I get the email about a message on the public jobs message board. Good luck everyone.

• Advertisement

SFC1895 wrote: »
    That's a great attitude

I have been here before - no matter how much I pretend that it doesn't bother me, when I get the rejection email, I am a bit disappointed

Eventually I will realise, it's me and not them that is the problem:P

I have been here before - no matter how much I pretend that it doesn't bother me, when I get the rejection email, I am a bit disappointed

Hi Joe,
    I don’t know a single person who hasn’t been unsuccessful in a competition or competitions over the years. They are tricky beasts. Important thing is to keep trying if you feel the role is right for you.
    Make a cuppa and enjoy living in the blissful unknown for the mean time. Mind yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭iuil1999

Chin up. You won't be alone. I'm allergic to the results coming out. I thought it was a weird stage. Sure there will be another one in 2022 ;-)

iuil1999 wrote: »
    Chin up. You won't be alone. I'm allergic to the results coming out. I thought it was a weird stage. Sure there will be another one in 2022 ;-)

Thanks - I said that in 2015, 2017, 2018 sure I'm an old hand at this :D

See you all on the other side :p

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭iuil1999

Thanks - I said that in 2015, 2017, 2018 sure I'm an old hand at this :D

See you all on the other side :p

I never did an Open competition before but I have done internal competitions at other grades and always got on grand. This one was very different. God only knows what the next stages would be like!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Marie_C wrote: »
    There seems to be a pattern of results for stage 1 after 3 weeks in some PAS comps but there’s no guarantee. Depends on number of applicants, resources in PAS, checks etc. Hopefully we’ll hear soon but I just put it out of my head until I get the email about a message on the public jobs message board. Good luck everyone.

It would be savage if PAS got the results out in 3 weeks whilst working remotely.

Best of luck to you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭moneymaid

Was really hoping to hear today ☹️*Sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 9 dellbell111

Me too...... Wish they would just tell us , as surely they have results ready by now ...

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭RWC15champions

I'm losing my mind here, I really hope it's tomorrow cause I can't go another weekend without knowing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Scubachica04

I imagine it might actually take longer than usual because the staff are working remotely. It's my first competition and I'm not holding out much hope, but I'm still interested to see how the process works.
    The application process has been really helpful and something I can use again. It was interesting to see the tests and they were tough!

Does anyone know of somewhere online where you can sign up for practice tests? I signed up to a website to practise the tests once we got the first email, but it cost €40 for the week. I think the tests are something you need to keep practising over time to get better at them, so I wanted to sign up to a website for a few months to get more practise, but somewhere that's cheaper than the one I used already.

Best of luck everyone and hopefully we'll hear from them soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Cheeseplant

Hmmph.. so.. tomorrow then?!

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Don't forget the new addition of being cut on your form after reaching the qualifying mark

Well at least LFC won the Premier League today. Not a bad day after all lol

Hopefully results will be out tomorrow 🀞ðŸ»

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Audreyly

moneymaid wrote: »
    Well at least LFC won the Premier League today. Not a bad day after all lol

Hopefully results will be out tomorrow 🀞ðŸ»

YNWA, 30 years coming but so worth the wait

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Anonire

I think every rejection bothers most people even just a little bit. I hope you are pleasantly surprised this time however.
    I failed an aptitude test via pas years back on the verbal by a very small amount and well exceeded the other two areas. The disappointment was real. All anyone can do is practice and hope for better next time.

Someone else asked about practice tests,
    There are paid sites out there where you can practice unfortunately some of them aren't very helpful. I've come across one or two that were actually giving wrong answers or no answers which I didn't find helpful. The wrong answers site actively encouraged you to find the issues.
    And another site that may only have one test that's relevant and that isn't much use as you will eventually learn the right answers without understanding them.

Eta by no answers I mean it doesn't tell you which of your answers are wrong so just a total score.

• Advertisement

Anonire wrote: »
    I failed an aptitude test via pas years back on the verbal by a very small amount and well exceeded the other two areas. The disappointment was real. All anyone can do is practice and hope for better next time.

Oh do we get a breakdown of the test, as in your score in each test?

I assumed it was just a yes you passed or no you didn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

You will be told your score, the qualifying score and if you passed it. For example, You failed to meet the qualifying score; you scored 38 and the qualifying score for this test was 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Anonire

With PAS you usually get a score for each area and an order of merit overall if you passed each section.
    Other non PAS campaigns sometimes just say you have reached qualifying standard or not.

Here is the normal layout

Further to your completion of Stage 1 (online Situational Judgement Questionnaire and Aptitude Tests) in respect of your candidature for the above campaign, I wish to inform you that you did not reach the qualifying standard and therefore you will not be invited to the next stage of the process.

Candidates were required to reach the qualifying standard in each test in order to qualify.

Your scores in the tests were as follows:

Situational Judgement Questionnaire
    Qualifying Score 40
    Your Score 39

Verbal Analysis
    Qualifying Score 42
    Your Score 62

Numerical Analysis
    Qualifying Score 40
    Your Score 65

The Maximum score in each test is 80

I would like to thank you for your participation in the selection process and wish you the best for the future.

Yours sincerely,

Marie Hayes
    Public Appointments Service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Is anyone brave enough to ring and ask?

I'm afraid they'll tell me bad news :D:P

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Anonire wrote: »
    With PAS you usually get a score for each area and an order of merit overall if you passed each section.
    Other non PAS campaigns sometimes just say you have reached qualifying standard or not.

Order of merit was gone in the last one. Gave you your score then said to what scores they were taking forward. So if you scored 115 points and they were only taking scores of 116 or better you miss out on batch 1.

Also you could be cut on your application form even if you scored above the qualifying mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 DarDee

I rang. They are not taking phone calls. You have to email them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Remind me wrote: »
    Order of merit was gone in the last one. Gave you your score then said to what scores they were taking forward. So if you scored 115 points and they were only taking scores of 116 or better you miss out on batch 1.

Also you could be cut on your application form even if you scored above the qualifying mark.

They did give an order of merit (it was in the opening paragraphs) but stated score when they were saying who they were taking forward.

They took about 1000 forward in batch 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 DarDee

Here’s the reply I got today:
    ‘We are working towards having the results issued as soon as we possibly can. As you can appreciate the current crisis has slowed down our processes to a degree. However we will have them as soon as possible and you will be notified of your results through your message board.’

Advertisement