Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2020 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Irishder wrote: »
    I got 121 but no mention of order of merit. Does that mean i will not be called?

Order of merit is up near the top of the message

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Irishder wrote: »
    I got 121 but no mention of order of merit. Does that mean i will not be called?

Just seen it 462, seems a long way down

• Registered Users Posts: 12 DarDee

I haven't received anything yet. Obviously haven't scraped the bottom of the barrel yet!!

Same here

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭iuil1999

DarDee wrote: »
    Same here

Me neither...
    I didn't put down Dublin..is it only the Dublin results that are out??

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JosTep

DarDee wrote: »
    Same here

Check your message board - it will be there before the email is sent (albeit only by a couple of minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Wing Back

First time applying for an AP comp with PAS.

Managed to pass all tests. So happy with that. Total Score (Verbal & Situational Judgement): 108

A bit off the cut off at the moment. Situational judgement held me down slightly I think.

Open Order of merit placing:1468
    Interdepartmental Order of merit placing: 951
    Dublin preference

What are seasoned competition applicants experience with those numbers? Am I unlikely to get an interview? Also with a much lower interdepartmental Order of merit placing, can this be useful or is it still too high?

All responses appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Wing Back wrote: »
    First time applying for an AP comp with PAS.

Managed to pass all tests. So happy with that. Total Score (Verbal & Situational Judgement): 108

A bit off the cut off at the moment. Situational judgement held me down slightly I think.

Open Order of merit placing:1468
    Interdepartmental Order of merit placing: 951
    Dublin preference

What are seasoned competition applicants experience with those numbers? Am I unlikely to get an interview? Also with a much lower interdepartmental Order of merit placing, can this be useful or is it still too high?

All responses appreciated

Last time I got in the 2000s and still managed to get rejected at stage 2 but every comp is different who knows how far down they will go

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CBCB

Nicole2020 wrote: »
    Thank you, absolutely shocked to have passed, I found the test so difficult, was sure I had failed. Frustrating to be 2 points off but genuinely didn’t even think I’d passed so take the win where I can!

look at it as a positive ! more time to prepare ....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Anyone have any idea when stage 2 will kick off? Tried calling there but no cigar.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭moneymaid

lucat wrote: »
    The OOM is not something we need to know if it's not being used to call us forward or not. I don't think it is in this case.

Thanks.

To clarify - is a higher oom better or worse than a lower oom?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nicole2020

Its a very small batch theyre taking forward so. Must be 250 or so (when you exclude non-Dublin candidates). Last time they started with about 1000.

They will generally work down through the points in batches to ensure there are enough on the panel to fill positions. How far they get depends on how many APs they need which will depend on the economy, retirements, promotions and whether there's an embargo.

At 124 with Dublin down Id be astounded if you don't get to stage 2 at some point in the next 6 months.

This is so great to hear, thank you so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Due to Covid, I decided to have a go at this. Wasn't sure having never done one of these before.

My scores:
    Numeric 60
    Verbal 63
    Situational 58

I thought I'd have done better in Numeric & Verbal but hadn't a clue about Situational. Could have scored anywhere from 0 to 80. Disappointed that numerical isn't included in your assessment score.

Not sure I'd be interested in the job. But maybe that's just sour grapes on my part!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nicole2020

CBCB wrote: »
    look at it as a positive ! more time to prepare ....

Exactly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭timbertime

Failed situational judgment. I can never do well in it. Which is frustrating as there's no feedback ever from pas. Best of luck to everyone who passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭FlexBrowne

Scored 123 which puts me 237 on the order of merit - Interdepartmental and 356 - Open competition.

Won't hold my breath being outside Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 batman007

Scored 98 and placed 2290! Definitely disappointed not to do better but considering it is my first time I think I'll take it as a win that I passed all three! The layout of the tests definitely threw me as it was quite different to the practice ones I did, but you live and learn.

Congratulations and best of luck to everyone going on to the next stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

moneymaid wrote: »
    Thanks.

To clarify - is a higher oom better or worse than a lower oom?

Eh higher is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Eh higher is better.

Lower is better, I would think!
    I'd rather be 1st than 100th

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

KaneToad wrote: »
    Lower is better, I would think!
    I'd rather be 1st than 100th

100th would be great! :)

I've applied for jobs previously and in some cases the higher you are on oom is better and vice versa so I've no idea in this case!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭R777B

Anyone have any rough idea the percentage of people who would have selected a Dublin preference? I'd imagine it would be high enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

To the person saying why aren't the numerical competency scores counted - why would they be? Most of those questions are basic maths, and frankly, if you're doing those sort of calculations as an AP with pen. paper and a calculator in the real world, you're doing it wrong.

This is the sour grapes speaking, but it's gas that people who are still in the competition aren't sure whether higher or lower in an OOM is better... :rolleyes:

Congrats to those through to the next stage, and best of luck.

Eh higher is better.

higher is better on score, lower is better on OOM

This is the sour grapes speaking, but it's gas that people who are still in the competition aren't sure whether higher or lower in an OOM is better... :rolleyes:

As I said in different competitions oom works the higher you get the better!
    First time applying for a civil service role so not sure how this all works.

Thanks for comment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Orchid1

I'm really confused. Is anyone who scored below 126 automatically out even if you reached the qualifying standard?

CBCB wrote: »
    higher is better on score, lower is better on OOM

Thanks very much for clarifying that without any bit*hy remarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Pdbtsi

Orchid1 wrote: »
    I'm really confused. Is anyone who scored below 126 automatically out even if you reached the qualifying standard?

I have the same question

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Chocolate Teapot

Congrats to everybody who made the grade! I scored 123 so just missed out on the first batch. My OOM is in the 230’s, does anybody know what the chances of being called to interview for Laois/Kildare with these scores are? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

No - if you have reached the qualifying standard BUT have scored below 126 then you are not being brought forward to interview *this time*.

You may still be brought forward in a future batch - depending on how well you did.

But if you failed to meet the qualifying standard in anything you're 100% out.

• Advertisement

No, it just means anyone who scored 126 or over are being called first.
    They will call further batches . How many depends on demand

Advertisement