Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW 2020 Assistant Principal Officer Competition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Awkwardstroke

I found the numerical horrendous, more so than the verbal which usually wrecks my head. I much prefer the cut-e assessments, cleaner and quicker to do. I needed a drink after the numerical. SJ one was fine as it always is but wasn't really geared towards CS I thought. I doubt I will get on the OOM, never mind be invited to the next stage! But it's my first AP attempt so experience will do me good.

I had a go at this too! found numerical reasoning Ok (usual time constraints). My beef is with the SJ part, as while I have a good idea where I got the other two tests questions right or wrong for the SJ part its a bit of mystery for me (and I work in the civil service and would think I have a reasonable idea of what the role of a AP is).

just some thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mariagirl

I had a go at this too! found numerical reasoning Ok (usual time constraints). My beef is with the SJ part, as while I have a good idea where I got the other two tests questions right or wrong for the SJ part its a bit of mystery for me (and I work in the civil service and would think I have a reasonable idea of what the role of a AP is).

just some thoughts

This is my first AP application. I found the numerical particularly difficult, I think that the 5 levels of agree and disagree answer options in the Situational Judgenent threw me a lot! The practice pre test link issued by PAS on the SHL site gave 2 options instead of 5 so for me this waa a bit unexpected, and made it harder especially under the constraint of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Does anyone have an idea how often these come around? I missed this application, would there likely be any further openings in the next 6 - 12 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

qwabercd wrote: »
    Does anyone have an idea how often these come around? I missed this application, would there likely be any further openings in the next 6 - 12 months?

Usually every 2 years but the last recession put promotions on hold for nearly 8 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭moneymaid

I see it has definitely been extended. Complete horse manure as usual in these competitions. "THERE WILL BE NO EXTENSIONS", followed of course by an extension.

Sorry, what do you mean by this? I didn't get any notification to say the process has been extended.

• Advertisement

First time APO Applicant.

Found the SJ and VR OK,
    NR - not so good 🀯 I had to guess most of them. The time constraint really puts you under pressure.

Can anyone advise -
    - when can we expect results of the aptitude tests?
    - is it a video interview then?
    - are there more aptitude tests after the interview?
    - if you are offered the position, do you get a choice in which Department you would like to work in, subject to positions available?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Ap2020

moneymaid wrote: »

Found the SJ and VR OK,
    NR - not so good �� I had to guess most of them. The time constraint really puts you under pressure.

Can anyone advise -
    - if you are offered the position, do you get a choice in which Department you would like to work in, subject to positions available?

Thanks

2-3 weeks

The booklet outlined that video interviews were next. That is subject to change, PAS always leave wiggle room for them to vary the procedure.

There has usually been a verification process where you redo the tests, and so an "etray" exercise in Chapter House. That might go ahead, but it doesn't have to and doesn't always. It is possible it will be scrapped as too difficult to accomplish during the Covid-19 pandemic.

You can express a preference, but that is (mostly) ignored. PAS assign people as positions become vacant.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 *Gaijin*

A few weeks time.

No. It will be three (likely, competency based) questions which you get in advance and then you have a set time to video record your answer to each. This is the first time they have done this for AP comps.

Previous years have been required to resit the same tests in order get a similar range of results to prove you did them the first time. Given Covid, this resit will probably be proctored online.

No. Its whatever you are offered (subject to if its your 1 and 2 choice, or if you are on the InterDept panel as well as the Open).

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Found the SJ and VR OK,
    NR - not so good �� I had to guess most of them. The time constraint really puts you under pressure.

Can anyone advise -

Thanks

If you are already in a department they can request to keep you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭urgelgru

And if you're already in a Department you can notify your HR to say you'd like to be kept. Obviously it's up to them whether they want to keep you and/or if there's a vacancy ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Cheeseplant

mariagirl wrote: »
    This is my first AP application. I found the numerical particularly difficult, I think that the 5 levels of agree and disagree answer options in the Situational Judgenent threw me a lot! The practice pre test link issued by PAS on the SHL site gave 2 options instead of 5 so for me this waa a bit unexpected, and made it harder especially under the constraint of time.

Curious on the SJ, did you give each answer a different rating?
    I can't remember the instructions, and it's highly likely that I've messed up, but I gave some of the answers the same rating e.g. two answers desirable, no answers in that situation highly desirable etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Pdbtsi

Curious on the SJ, did you give each answer a different rating?
    I can't remember the instructions, and it's highly likely that I've messed up, but I gave some of the answers the same rating e.g. two answers desirable, no answers in that situation highly desirable etc.

If I remember correctly, the instructions said something like 'you are strongly advised to use the full range of ratings' - though I could be imagining this. I did the same though, came across a few where no situation was highly desirable or highly undesirable, and gave two situations the same rating.

Im sure most people are applying for a promotion grade? so unless the location offered is totally unacceptable...why would you turn it down? plus you pick your location preferences.

I tried to use the range of answer in SJ exercises yet was difficult for a few where nearly all the options were (to me) on the negative side.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Cheeseplant

I tried to use the range of answer in SJ exercises yet was difficult for a few where nearly all the options were (to me) on the negative side.

i found this too

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nicole2020

On some of the scenarios I ended up having 2 in a couple of the ratings, especially the ones with a lot of options / answers. There was one or two in particular where I think all bar one of my answers were in the negative segments.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭dee75

I found this too. I think there was one question where 5 out of 6 options I ranked as undesirable.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Zulu Art

dee75 wrote: »
    I found this too. I think there was one question where 5 out of 6 options I ranked as undesirable.

Same boat here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

dee75 wrote: »

And there's no reason to say you were incorrect, you could have scored well on this answer depending on the marking scheme.

And there's no reason to say you were incorrect, you could have scored well on this answer depending on the marking scheme.

I think it was said in the context of ahould we have not used as many options as possible in the multi-choice. I too doubled up on the responses. I think I gave legit responses; and sure the system allowed the same level of (un)desirable be assigned to multiple options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    If you are already in a department they can request to keep you

Some departments only have AP Higher though? So they don’t take APs off the AP standard PAS process (which is what this is).

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭doc22

quad_red wrote: »
    Some departments only have AP Higher though? So they don’t take APs off the AP standard PAS process (which is what this is).

If you are already in one of those departments and they wanted to keep you I don't think they'd be a problem as they could keep you as a standard AP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

doc22 wrote: »
    If you are already in one of those departments and they wanted to keep you I don't think they'd be a problem as they could keep you as a standard AP.

Didn’t know they could do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

quad_red wrote: »

AP Higher comp usually follows standard comp anyways.

Has anyone completed any of the interview prep courses for AP?

If so, did you find them helpful?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭ammg

Addle wrote: »
    AP Higher comp usually follows standard comp anyways.

Only for those who finish in the higher rankings

ammg wrote: »
    Only for those who finish in the higher rankings

Do they make 2 panels so? Or is higher AP a totally other comp?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Forthebuzz

Zulu Art wrote: »
    Do they make 2 panels so? Or is higher AP a totally other comp?

Seperate campaign that is linked in with this. Last time or the time before to enter AP higher, you had to be an existing AP standard or have come in top 300 of AP comp

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭RWC15champions

Just my two cents on the SJ.
    I took the range of answers comment to be across all 100 questions and not on each scenario 😅
    One scenario I gave 4 out of 5 answers the exact same rating!
    Time will tell I suppose 🙈

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Anonire

Just my two cents on the SJ.
    I took the range of answers comment to be across all 100 questions and not on each scenario ��
    One scenario I gave 4 out of 5 answers the exact same rating!
    Time will tell I suppose ��

Was trying to post the same thing earlier but couldn't log in. Took the range of answers to mean across the 100 questions not each scenario.

Advertisement