Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rikand's Walrus Reveal!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Thats really sad. I have listened to a few songs since and he was brilliant

The more i think about it and listen to their stuff, I do like Oasis. I just despise Liam Gallagher :D

(Yes, i am still going back through everything submitted and checking our more stuff from all bands. A slow but worthwhile process :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

Rikand wrote: »
    2nd Place :: Ben Folds - B!tches aint sh!t (Dr. Dre Cover Version) [NSFW or for Children or people of a sensitive nature]

I smiled and I laughed the whole way through this. I dont think I have ever heard the original before but it made me pay attention to how graphically sexually explicit rap songs can be and Ben Folds made me laugh the whole way through it. I went and checked out the same version, but with lyrics printed on the screen this morning just to get a full appreciation for the content of the song and it delivered! He sings it in such a wonderfully soft tone that contrasts so severely with the language in use. Strong lyrics, sung by such a gentle voice. I've always had a passing interest in Ben Folds, like Rocking the Suburbs, but I have found a new love after this.

with lyrics printed on screen if you like that sort of thing :: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-l-c3rTlnE

2nd Place - 14 points to
    mollyb60

Ben Folds has cancelled this song.

https://www.reddit.com/r/benfolds/comments/hfa08z/bitches_aint_****_to_be_removed_from_streaming/

Ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Oh ffs. I'm all for BLM and everything but this was obviously a parody and that's why it worked. I think it's a bit over the top for him to stop performing it. The song written and performed by Dr Dre is horribly mysoginistic and offensive to women and deserves to be mocked.

Just ugh. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I uncock my ****. I'm heartbroken, but still loc'ed

I think Rikand and mollyb60 should be cancelled for rating it so highly

I listen to a lot of these songs still. I was planning to do a top 10 redux of all entries received before I run my next walrus. However with that Ben Folds announcement, I think I'm going to do it at some point this week now with the news that the song will soon be gone forever.

(so yes, that means it still would have been in my top 10 :D )

Its almost redux time!

I won't get started with the redux until after Sawducks movie reveal which is awesome by the way! :)

I'm finding it hard to rank songs that I knew very well before the reveal and songs that were completely new to me, so I've decided to break it into two different categories. Top 2 songs of songs that I knew well before hand [This was top 4, but I just butchered 2 out of there because I didnt listen to them that much in hindsight] and continue to listen to to this day and top 8 songs of songs that I scarcely knew before but now adore and listen to regularly!

I'll do the top 2 known to me songs first and then the top 8 unknown to me songs because lets face it, at the end of the day this game of walrus was all about introducing me to new music and new music is what I was looking for. New music is also what tended to score better than well known songs apart from the rare exceptions. And of all the songs given I've been listening to the new songs more than the old songs.

Anyways, his reveal is nearly over. We'll get started at around half 9 :)

Oh also, my walrus signup wont go up until tomorrow. I'm still debating whether to include one particular category or not as I'm worried it could scare people away with the potential trickiness of it, but we'll see after I have another sleep on it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

How the hell was this 20 months ago??!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Oh also, my walrus signup wont go up until tomorrow. I'm still debating whether to include one particular category or not as I'm worried it could scare people away with the potential trickiness of it, but we'll see after I have another sleep on it :)

This sounds really intriguing, you must include it now :D. My walrus is finished now, so you can start yours anytime you want, cheers

Okay, so we're going to get the show on the road with the 2 songs that I love and have listened to a lot since the reveal.... but i also knew them both really well before the reveal and listened to one of them a ton before and since... the other one I'm just listening to since :D

2nd Place :: Peter Gabriel - Solsbury Hill - originally submitted by Stu Redman

What I said the last time about it :D
    1st Place :: Peter Gabriel - Solsbury Hill

Like you said in your description one of the greatest songs of all time ever written! It really is! Absolutely one of my favourite songs of all time. I could listen to it forever. If you really wanted to sell the product (not that you needed to cause you came first), then you could have submitted this :: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u83LRNIK5bE - One of the most fantastic live performances for a song ever. The rotating outer stage is just brilliant! Peter on the bike and everyone skipping along in the opposite direction. It really is a magical song

1st Place - 15 points to
    Deleted User

p.s. I'm often reminded of this when thinking of this song too :) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZexYRkIRhVs

Everything that I said about the song still holds true for me. it's still one of those songs that I constantly go back to, though I do watch the live version with the rotating stage more.... its just one of those timeless classics for me :) It came first in its category which was the pre 2010's category and it would still have come first today :D

You'd wonder what could possibly have beaten this ?

1st Place :: Gigi D'Agostino - L'Amour Toujours - Originally submitted by Necro

What I said last time
    7th Place :: Gigi D'Agostino - L'Amour Toujours

ROFL, Chooooooooon!. Great song that always seems to come on right when you've knocked back your third yaegar bomb. Summery? Yes it is. And it will make you think of summer all year around. The broken down verse bits are the real summery feeling in this for me. Gigi really knows how to fill a floor! I'm hot and sweaty just thinking about this one :D

7th Place - 9 points to
    Necro

I had kinda forgotten about this when it was sent into me. I'll never forget it again. I've listened to it so much and in the times we're in now, with endless lockdowns, you just need something to remind you of the good times we once had. Of those summery feelings.

This was from the summer category and if i was running this category again, where would this place ? Number 1. In fact, this category is a regret of mine. I actually rushed the reveal and a lot of tracks that placed well at the time wouldnt place where they placed. Madonna wouldnt have been within an asses roar of top 3. I had major regret about that one 2 days later as it got super annoying to me. It would have been this number 1, Los campesinos 2, California soul 3, Sexy Boy 4 - Just raging I rushed the category the first time around.

(how long before Necro sees he came first in a category and loses his ****...... :p )

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

mD1EZOJP6aGPUMbFO004SsyAe1w2c-NL5urQbRBEwxztzrxR9j9mNntCoeQAYpzt_IBw-ugsAtH5mIGjZyBUN8a5advXmahq-nxGo61wqXfX1PwPROHRARb0nSakh9l8

It would have been this number 1, Los campesinos 2, California soul 3, Sexy Boy 4 - Just raging I rushed the category the first time around
    That was mine, just checked back and it came second the first time round. Damn, I thought I'd got bonus points :p

Now the important songs - the ones i hadnt heard of before or if i had heard them, I wouldnt have known from where :)

8th Place - Los Campesinos - You! Me! Dancing! - Originally submitted by Electric Nitwit
    2nd Place :: Los Campesinos - You! Me! Dancing!

like, for the first minute i was wondering what is this idle strumming all about, when will it build to something and then 1:40 smashes you in the face like a bucket of water, drenching you, this is summer at a barbecue with a beer in the hand and crowd of your best mates around you just loving life! I'm not a big fan of the lead singers vocal but I just love the melodies of the music. A wonderfully whimsical composition. I feel like this is off a TV ad, isnt it ? :)

2nd Place - 14 points to
    electric nitwit

I still love the build up. I still love the energy. I still find the singers voice grating but the chorus is great and the energy is great and I kinda block out the verses when I listen to it but I still listen to it and I listen to it more than anything else that's behind it but not the songs that are ahead of it. Intro is just so good!

As mentioned in the Gigi D'Agostino song reveal, it would still come second in the summer songs category... but you know, thats still pretty good :D

And oh yeah - it was a budweiser commercial!

Whoo-hoo, glad you still enjoy it.
    Just stuck it on here. Haven't listened to it for ages, it is a belter! It's helping my mood a bit after the bloody football

The long intro is definitely better when you know what's coming :D

7th Place :: Stereolab - Cybele's Reverie - Originally Submitted by osh
    5th Place :: Stereolab - Cybele's Reverie

This just went up and up the list. At first listen, I was like "nope! Nope, nope, nope, bope!" And then it just kept going up. And up. And up. If i had another week to listen to it...... 5th is actually probably still as high as it would go because the top 4 are just that bit ahead for me. But its a lovely lovely tune!

5th Place :: 11 points to
    osh

This is still just a gorgeous little song that I listen to regularly. I never really got into other Stereolab stuff, but this one really hit the spot :)

It finished 5th the first time around and it probably still would. Cat 5, the foreign language Cat was a tough tough category and 2 of the songs that finished ahead of it, I cut 2 hours ago from the songs I had heard before (blur and O-zone). Still a lovely song that I love to listen to :)

• Advertisement

6th Place :: Beirut - Gallipoli - Originally submitted by partyjungle
    2nd Place :: Beirut - Gallipoli

This was a song that just kept on moving up the list the more I listened to it. However, I'm finding it tough to verbalise what it is that I liked so much about this song. Nice intro, loved the trumpety/horn thing if thats what it is. Singing kinda reminds me of that old kind of french style that one of my former co-workers from years ago used to listen to a lot of and I used to love it! It's a real kind of meditteranean feel to the song and it just captures a lot of great feelings for me of holidays when I was a kid in southern France

2nd Place - 14 points to
    Deleted User

Is it bad that the best way I can think of describing the last 2 songs is that they are really nice ? Well they are! After almost 2 years I still find it tough to verbalise what it is I like about this song. I just really do :D

Would this have replaced David Davis Tomorrows from the 2019 category ? Hmmm, I'm not sure. I still love Tomorrows. I just stopped listening to it. Whereas I never stopped listening to Gallipoli. It's a great song :)

5th Place :: Royksopp - What else is There ( Trentemoller Remix) - Originally submitted by Partyjungle [ again! ]

What I said last time
    4th Place :: Royksopp - What else is There ( Trentemoller Remix)

This is top 5 and is yet massively situational for me. Like, right now, I'm at home and I'm just enjoyin it, Bopping my head, grinding my hips as I walk around the place, when the tech breaks down for each vocal bit, sometimes im a little bit eh. But if I was at a rave and this came on and I was a couple of beers deep, then I would go into full on gurn mode and forking love it. A few mates of mine absolutely love Trentemoller, but I was never that into his stuff before, but this is really good and I really enjoyed myself!

4th Place - 12 points to
    Deleted User

It's no secret that I love my electronic music and this is just great. The vocal doesnt bother me like it used to. I'm listening right now and I'm just loving the bop. My head is just working away. This was just such a great selection

it came 4th the first time around.... Would it have gone higher ? Perhaps not. It might have edged 3rd. The reason I havent listed Staceys Mom and the Scroob is I dont really listen to them. I overlistened to the scroob when I first heard him many years and sure Staceys Mom is Staceys Mom.

this song makes the list because i had never heard of it before and it has had a lasting impact on my playlists. I never skip it. i always enjoy when it comes on and I listen to it very regularly. There so much variance to it that you dont always notice on the first listen, the way the track breaks down from around the 3:30 mark and melodies through.... ahhh its just a beast!

4th Place :: Christine and the Queens - 5 dols - Originally submitted by Barney92

What I said at the time
    1st Place :: Christine and the Queens - 5 dols (Work colleagues of a sensitive nature may question your choice of video if watching this in work :) )

I loved this from the very first listen. But I find it so hard to put into words what it is that I love so much. Just such a real unusual sound for the intro and then its in french and I love songs in French! Vocalist is incredible. It moves along at a really great pace. The gentle tinkle of the high notes on the piano for the chorus and then music drops and the vocalist is left to sing the final bar acapella which is just a wonderful finish. The video is quite cool too. The performer is a great dancer. I've been finger pointing, shuffling my shoulders and nodding my head to this all weekend!

1st Place - 15 points to
    Barney92

Ah this is just great! Such a great song. No more words. Its just great. I cant elaborate anymore on what i said above. Just great!

It came first in the intros category. It would come first again. it was well ahead of everything else in the category for me

3rd Place :: Poolside - Harvest Moon (neil young cover) - Originally submitted by Partyjungle [ Did we just become best friends?]

What I said at the time.
    1st Place :: Poolside - Harvest Moon (Neil Young Cover)

This is my jam. Sweet Raspberry Jam. That wonderfully laidback loungey housey feel, the claps, the sweet soft vocals. It's not quite Betoko, but it's close. Damn is it close. After the first minute of listening to this, I knew it wasnt going to be outside my top 3 no matter what else was submitted. Every single ounce of this song is me. So laidback, so chilled. It took me right back to my honeymoon, in San Diego and the chilled out way of life.... the beach, the waves, the sunsets, the pool at the Pacific Terrace Hotel, I was just......I'm there right now. I am there!

1st Place - 15 points to
    Partyjungle

And it still is my jam. I just love this! I've listened to this 100's of times. I just close my eyes and shake my head from side to side...and then the shoulders start rocking and then the hips start shimmying and my hands leave the keyboard, gently clenched fists and slowly punching and rocking the shoulders and rocking my whole body. I just love this. This was without doubt one of the finds for me.

Would it still come first in the category ? Probably. Although I have listened to it 100's of times, there is a song that i have listened to as much if not more that I love just a little bit more and I would find it so hard to separate them now. Maybe they would be joint first because.....

2nd Place :: Ben Folds - Bitches aint **** - Originally submitted by mollyb60

What I said at the time...
    2nd Place :: Ben Folds - B!tches aint sh!t (Dr. Dre Cover Version) [NSFW or for Children or people of a sensitive nature]

I smiled and I laughed the whole way through this. I dont think I have ever heard the original before but it made me pay attention to how graphically sexually explicit rap songs can be and Ben Folds made me laugh the whole way through it. I went and checked out the same version, but with lyrics printed on the screen this morning just to get a full appreciation for the content of the song and it delivered! He sings it in such a wonderfully soft tone that contrasts so severely with the language in use. Strong lyrics, sung by such a gentle voice. I've always had a passing interest in Ben Folds, like Rocking the Suburbs, but I have found a new love after this.

with lyrics printed on screen if you like that sort of thing :: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-l-c3rTlnE

2nd Place - 14 points to
    mollyb60

This is just so good. So brilliant. Such a fantastic heart rending melody and the take on the song is just next level...... brilliant! What can I say about it that I havent already said. Major adoration to molly and ben folds for bringing this to me. On another day, it would be poolside in 2nd and ben folds in 3rd. So hard to separate them because they are so brilliant.

CriminalUntidyBettong-small.gif

Brilliant

So what could be number 1 ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Rikand wrote:
    So what could be number 1 ?

I Am The Walrus? :D

1st Place :: Halcali - Girigiri Surfrider - Originally submitted by Fixxxer [ legend ]

What I said at the time
    1st Place :: Halcali - GiriGiri Surf Rider

EarWorm. Total Earworm. The melody of the music is just excellent and it opens with like a chorus bit which was okay at first, but then it hits the hip-hop and i was like, I totally did not expect that direction and it was brilliant. The way they play off each other is excellent and then they sing the choruses in the j-pop kind of way its just a great great piece of music and I love it. bop, bop, bop. I'm up to well over 50 listens of this and I'm just not getting sick of it. I love it. I've actually been listening to it on constant repeat the entire way through this reveal. Sometimes a song just comes along that you absolutely adore. And the video is awesome too!

1st Place :: 15 points to
    Fixxxer

This video has 38k views. 8k of those are mine

And its not just this song I love. I have gone and listened to Halcali's entire back catalogue. I love them. I really ****ing love them. I actually got the lyrics to this song so I could try and sing the proper words along with it. For an English speaking person, its not easy i can tell ya!

One day I knew my 5 year old daughter had been on the laptop because I heard her singing the melody of this song and then I overheard her mother say.... "Daddy listens to some wierd stuff...." and thats when I knew it was just one of the best songs ever because my wife has a generally awful taste in music.

Thank you Fixxxer. From the bottom of my heart, I thank you!

This concludes the redux of my first walrus.

I havent assigned points for any of this as I more wanted it to be an appreciation of the songs that I stuck with and that stuck with me. But needless to say, partyjungle with his 3 entries would have won the combined prize and fixxxer would have won the individual for Halcali. But as i said at the time of running the walrus, the real winner was me because of all the great new music I was introduced to! And its just about time for me to replenish my stocks.

I'll put up a new walrus thread at some point tomorrow as I havent written it up yet and I'm tired now. I'm heading off to my leaba.

night night and thanks all again <3

I've been out of the loop of this forum for a while... delighted to see my name mentioned three time :D

Bit confused by the format. What is the criteria for the redux? Top 8 of all the songs from this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,073 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Some great surprising interesting picks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

hahaha thats great that Halcali wormed their way in to your soul. They are a lovable pair of doofs.

What did you think of the insanity of the Strawberry Chips remix?

Advertisement