Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rikand's Walrus Reveal!

Options

Comments

Rikand wrote: »
    12th Place :: Steely Dan - Haitian Divorce

I've never listened to Steely Dan before and this just didnt really work for me for large parts of the song. The Beatles meets ReggaeRock is the kind of vibe I got from it. I've heard the song before, but I scarcely remember it. Still, I sometimes found myself absentmindedly boppin my head away to it as the song played on through. Actually I found, the less I paid attention to it, the more I enjoyed it. Something going along in the background is the place to have this for me

12th Place :: 4 points to
    Pretzil

Wait.....I now know where you got your username from Pretzill :eek: It took me a while there to see the logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Wait.....I now know where you got your username from Pretzill :eek: It took me a while there to see the logic.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

1st Place :: Peter Gabriel - Solsbury Hill

Like you said in your description one of the greatest songs of all time ever written! It really is! Absolutely one of my favourite songs of all time. I could listen to it forever. If you really wanted to sell the product (not that you needed to cause you came first), then you could have submitted this :: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u83LRNIK5bE - One of the most fantastic live performances for a song ever. The rotating outer stage is just brilliant! Peter on the bike and everyone skipping along in the opposite direction. It really is a magical song

1st Place - 15 points to
    Deleted User

p.s. I'm often reminded of this when thinking of this song too :) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZexYRkIRhVs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Choon!

Aw I love Salisbury Hill. But I can’t listen to any songs tonight :(

I have scores ready, Rikand????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Stu class choice! Well done on the top spot - thanks again Rikand for the reveal

Aw I love Salisbury Hill. But I can’t listen to any songs tonight :(

I have scores ready, Rikand????

Yes please Strawbs :D

ROUND ONE
    Necro - 1
    Pretzil - 2
    Electric Nitwit - 3
    Osh - 4
    Tritium - 5
    Green&Red - 6
    Strawberry Milkshake - 7
    Ectoplasm - 8
    Builebeag - 9
    Fixxxer - 10
    MicksJaguar - 11
    Stu Redmond - 12
    Barney92 - 13
    mollyb60 - 14
    partyjungle - 15

ROUND TWO
    Necro - 3
    Pretzil - 8
    Tritium - 10
    Fixxxer - 13
    Stu Redmond - 13
    Strawberry Milkshake - 14
    Green&Red - 16
    Electric Nitwit - 17
    Osh - 17
    Builebeag - 18
    Ectoplasm - 19
    MicksJaguar - 19
    partyjungle - 19
    mollyb60 - 26
    Barney92 - 28

ROUND THREE
    Necro - 12
    Tritium - 12
    Strawberry Milkshake - 16
    Stu Redmond - 18
    Pretzil - 23
    Builebeag - 24
    Fixxxer - 26
    Electric Nitwit - 25
    MicksJaguar - 26
    Green&Red - 26.5
    Ectoplasm - 29.5
    Osh - 30
    mollyb60 - 30
    Barney92 - 30
    partyjungle - 33

ROUND FOUR
    Strawberry Milkshake - 18
    Tritium - 20
    Necro - 25
    Fixxxer - 26
    Pretzil - 27
    Electric Nitwit - 30
    Green&Red - 32.5
    Stu Redmond - 33
    Builebeag - 33
    Barney92 - 33
    MicksJaguar - 36
    Osh - 37
    Ectoplasm - 40.5
    mollyb60 - 44
    partyjungle - 45

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Really enjoyed that reveal. Thanks Rikand :D

Well done Stu (and Molly), great songs all round tbf

Some brilliant songs there again! Well done Stu! And thanks again Rikand.

What was the next topic and how many do we have left? I've forgotten everything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Foreign language and then summer songs

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Some brilliant songs there again! Well done Stu! And thanks again Rikand.

What was the next topic and how many do we have left? I've forgotten everything!

Foreign song next iirc, then summer tunes.

Just 2 I think. Has been great fun!

Next is foreign language and then final round is song that reminds you of summer

I'm enjoying my meteoric rise to midtable.

Next category is where it likely all comes crashing down around my head though :pac:

Night folks!

Thank you everyone for the submissions! Once again, that was a really enjoyable category to listen to and try to judge

Category 5 :: A song sung in a language that isnt English

Planning to reveal on Saturday night from around 10pm

For this reveal I am going to use the middle:bottom3/top3 reveal method, just to mix things up a bit :)

Basically I will reveal the songs that placed 12th to 4th first and then the first 3 and last 3 songs in alternate revealing order
    12to4, 13th, 3rd, 14th, 2nd, 15th, 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Thank you everyone for the submissions! Once again, that was a really enjoyable category to listen to and try to judge

Category 5 :: A song sung in a language that isnt English

Planning to reveal on Saturday night from around 10pm

For this reveal I am going to use the middle:bottom3/top3 reveal method, just to mix things up a bit :)

Basically I will reveal the songs that placed 12th to 4th first and then the first 3 and last 3 songs in alternate revealing order
    12to4, 13th, 3rd, 14th, 2nd, 15th, 1st

That's evil :pac:

Like you said in your description one of the greatest songs of all time ever written! It really is! Absolutely one of my favourite songs of all time. I could listen to it forever. If you really wanted to sell the product (not that you needed to cause you came first), then you could have submitted this :: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u83LRNIK5bE - One of the most fantastic live performances for a song ever. The rotating outer stage is just brilliant! Peter on the bike and everyone skipping along in the opposite direction. It really is a magical song

1st Place - 15 points to
    Deleted User

p.s. I'm often reminded of this when thinking of this song too :) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZexYRkIRhVs

Ah Rikand buddy, after a shaky couple of rounds there...

aysjigH.gif

Yes...I wholeheartedly agree on everything you said about that live version. I have watched it countless times by now, but never enough.

While I do love that live version I had to submit the studio recording. There's a melancholy captured in the original recording that's hard to describe which makes the song what it is for me. Watching the live version is all about fun and awe and good vibes when I watch it, but I do like the somber feeling I get from studio version too.

Gabriel was 26-27 when he wrote and recorded the song, just after leaving a very cosy job with Genesis, and this was his solo breach out into a world watching his next move closely. It's a song about saying hello and goodbye, and it does it so perfectly.

Anyway, not because 'I' won, but that was my favourite round so far. Every song tonight I really liked and I'm already on my 4th listen of 'Thou Shalt Always Kill'. Never heard that before and it's serious.

ROUND ONE
    Necro - 1
    Pretzil - 2
    Electric Nitwit - 3
    Osh - 4
    Tritium - 5
    Green&Red - 6
    Strawberry Milkshake - 7
    Ectoplasm - 8
    Builebeag - 9
    Fixxxer - 10
    MicksJaguar - 11
    Stu Redmond - 12
    Barney92 - 13
    mollyb60 - 14
    partyjungle - 15

ROUND TWO
    Necro - 3
    Pretzil - 8
    Tritium - 10
    Fixxxer - 13
    Stu Redmond - 13
    Strawberry Milkshake - 14
    Green&Red - 16
    Electric Nitwit - 17
    Osh - 17
    Builebeag - 18
    Ectoplasm - 19
    MicksJaguar - 19
    partyjungle - 19
    mollyb60 - 26
    Barney92 - 28

ROUND THREE
    Necro - 12
    Tritium - 12
    Strawberry Milkshake - 16
    Stu Redmond - 18
    Pretzil - 23
    Builebeag - 24
    Fixxxer - 26
    Electric Nitwit - 25
    MicksJaguar - 26
    Green&Red - 26.5
    Ectoplasm - 29.5
    Osh - 30
    mollyb60 - 30
    Barney92 - 30
    partyjungle - 33

ROUND FOUR
    Strawberry Milkshake - 18
    Tritium - 20
    Necro - 25
    Fixxxer - 26
    Pretzil - 27
    Electric Nitwit - 30
    Green&Red - 32.5
    Stu Redmond - 33
    Builebeag - 33
    Barney92 - 33
    MicksJaguar - 36
    Osh - 37
    Ectoplasm - 40.5
    mollyb60 - 44
    partyjungle - 45

Thanks for compiling the scores Straws, but does 'Stu Redmond' mean that I can call you 'Strawberry Handshake' from now on? :D

Too busy to keep up properly, so just checked in here and there, will listen properly tomoro at some stage.

Superb song to win, its slightly weird in every way from video to singers voice (which I love) great pick

Can't wait to hear all the others.

Cheers Rikand again and well done stu

1st Place - 15 points to
    Deleted User

Funny how the world works. I'm just back from a holiday last week where this became the song of the holiday.

• Advertisement

Thanks for compiling the scores Straws, but does 'Stu Redmond' mean that I can call you 'Strawberry Handshake' from now on? :D

Sorry Stu Redman. I didn’t realise :D must have typed that without thinking at round one and then I just copy all the info over on each round.

Ps: it’s weird calling you by your full title, Stu Redman.

I'm not actually going to win something on this forum, am I?! I'm not all that confident. Either you'll love or hate my foreign language one. I think my summer song is too obvious that you've probably heard far too much.

I'm not actually going to win something on this forum, am I?! I'm not all that confident. Either you'll love or hate my foreign language one. I think my summer song is too obvious that you've probably heard far too much.

It'll be like WW Walking Dead all over again if you do :D

My foreign song is imo total marmite. It'll either be hated or loved with no in between :pac:

Sorry Stu Redman. I didn’t realise :D must have typed that without thinking at round one and then I just copy all the info over on each round.

Ps: it’s weird calling you by your full title, Stu Redman.

The real head-f**k for me comes at likes of FG Beers or when I meet other people from Boards in real life. Instead of my real name, I'm called Stu and it can take me a moment to cop that people are addressing me when I hear 'Stu'.

That depends...are you going to fake-claim seer before the next round?! (Think it was you and I on the same wolf team in BTTF, and you claimed seer just as Beaker was coming out as Doc Brown? Good times :D)

But seriously...in Walrus, going into the final 2 rounds, it seems to be you and Mol with a good shout of winning, Ecto coming up the inside track to maybe nab it from ye.

Either way, the 3 of you will very likely be playing Champions League Walrus next season. Myself and Necro are duking it out for a Europa spot.

My summer song is so bad, and Rikand doesn't seem over sentimental about songs :pac: he might not have ever like it in the first place.

Also my summer is so class and if you heard it at a wedding you would be on the dance floor rapid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

2nd Place :: Dan La Sac & Scroobius Pip - Thou Shalt Always Kill

I love the Scroob! Beat that my heart skipped is good but Letter from God..... To Man is my favourite offering from him which samples Planet Telex and is amazing. He really makes you think with the thought provoking lyrics and Dan produces great music for all the compositions. I wont take Lord Scroobs name in vain by offering my thoughts on the piece, I'll let you judge it for yourself. Its what he would want :)

2nd Place - 14 points to
    Mollyb60

I actually cannot believe how receptive (apart from Billie) you are to my music! I was thinking as I put this together, no chance of me winning as I think the songs I'm choosing are so unlike what he said he liked. These songs are basically just an idea of the stuff I enjoy and I'm delighted that you're enjoying them Rik.

Scroobius is such a great songwriter. I thought this song was extra silly to enter specifically because of the 'just a band' section. I giggled to myself anyway. He has a podcast that I've listened to a bit and he's a really seriously smart guy. I love the Scroobs love! :D

(and I agree on the Bob Dylan opinions. Had to sit through a concert of his before as Mr Molly loves him and he was just dire).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Either way, the 3 of you will very likely be playing Champions League Walrus next season. Myself and Necro are duking it out for a Europa spot.

I seem to be like Charlton in 1998/99 when they beat Southampton 5-0 on opening day to go top and then fizzled out completely, ending up relegated.

That depends...are you going to fake-claim seer before the next round?! (Think it was you and I on the same wolf team in BTTF, and you claimed seer just as Beaker was coming out as Doc Brown? Good times :D)

But seriously...in Walrus, going into the final 2 rounds, it seems to be you and Mol with a good shout of winning, Ecto coming up the inside track to maybe nab it from ye.

How many times do I have to tell you, they're lying, I am the real seer!

Now we move into songs that I liked, but some more than others :)

10th Place :: Travelling Wilburys - Handle with Care

A nice song, but I'm gonna say something possibly controversial here. I dont like Bob Dylan. Well, I like his song writing, but i am not a fan of his singing. And even though he doesnt have much to do in this song, there's still just enough Dylan that I can never warm to it. Not even Roy Orbison's silky smooth vocal can get me over the tiny Dylan bit.

10th Place - 6 points to
    Green&Red

Been listening to this nonstop... I'm so tired of being lonely, I have still have some love to give....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

Osh and Molly.... I've had very happy ears today. Thanks for recommending!

Molly that's 2 twice for you....moar pls

Scroobi is smart. And actually Herbert is not dissimilar to some of this difficult music I'm trying to listen to.

I LOVE this game!

Advertisement