Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rikand's Walrus Reveal!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

2nd Place :: Los Campesinos - You! Me! Dancing!

like, for the first minute i was wondering what is this idle strumming all about, when will it build to something and then 1:40 smashes you in the face like a bucket of water, drenching you, this is summer at a barbecue with a beer in the hand and crowd of your best mates around you just loving life! I'm not a big fan of the lead singers vocal but I just love the melodies of the music. A wonderfully whimsical composition. I feel like this is off a TV ad, isnt it ? :)

2nd Place - 14 points to
    electric nitwit

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

It does take ages to get going!

I think it might be an old budweiser ad, I can visualise people moving through a crowd at an outdoor gig. Not sure though

1st Place :: Marlena Shaw - California Soul

Now this is summer! Cruising down the promenade, top down on some sort of convertable or at least with driver and passenger window open and just loving life. Singer has such a great voice and that intro is truly iconic. I have just enjoyed this over and over again

1st Place - 15 points to
    osh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Looking forward to listening to all the final choices. Well done on the top spot Osh!

Congratulations osh who steals it at the death!

Scores After Round 6

Name|Round1|Round2|Round3|Round4|Round5|Round6|Gap|Total
    Necro|1|2|9|13|13|9||47|
    Green&Red|6|10|10.5|6|14|5||51.5|
    Strawberry Milkshake|7|7|2|2|6|6||30|
    Pretzill|2|6|15|4|4|12||43|
    partyjungle|15|4|14|12|3|8||56|
    Electric Nitwit|3|14|8|5|9|14||53|
    Mollyb60|14|12|4|14|9|4||57|
    osh|4|13|13|7|11|15||63|
    MicksJaguar|11|8|7|10|12|1||49|
    Ectoplasm|8|11|10.5|11|5|11||56.5|
    Barney92|13|15|2|3|7|10||50|
    Builebeag|9|9|6|9|1|7||41|
    tritium|5|5|2|8|2|13||35|
    Stu Redman|12|1|5|15|9|3||45|
    fixxxer|10|3|12|1|15|2||43|

But the real winner here is me who has found lots of great new music to listen to and lots of songs that will be getting added into permanent rotation on my playlist.

Thank you to everyone who submitted songs for my walrus. This was just so much fun to run through them all, give my thoughts and having all you guys along with me for the ride each day was even more fun!

I cant wait to try everyone elses walruses now :D

Thanks again everyone for entering my Walrus :D

• Advertisement

Congrats Osh

This has the feel of a really good round (I hate not being able to listen!)

I made myself a google play playlist for tomorrow, if anyone wants a link...

https://play.google.com/music/playlist/AMaBXymgMUpYBV8YuMxwT95D_7AYUSSCZ-SOS2zp1pTX2L04Ec_ZOQ6GLeQ--HzX-RbB8U32CJhM5DwqpsmU0oZHXgf4kKEalQ%3D%3D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Grats osh!!! (on the win and the final round)

Thanks for bringing this game into our lives Rikand. I love it!!!

Thanks Rikand - great reveal and most enjoyable game. Congrats Osh. Comiseration Strawbs on the wooden drumstick.

Had I known Rikand, you were a JT fan you probably would have got his version of Everyday (you nearly did) for covers, fire& rain for pre 2010, Frozen Man for intro...etc. :)

Ive said it multiple time but this is brilliant so thanks Rikand for brining the game and for running.

And congrats Osh..

My two best scorers...
    Rikand wrote: »
    ... and then hits you fill in the face with an explosive energy.
    ... and then 1:40 smashes you in the face like a bucket of water

Mental note for next time, more face smashing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

This is one of my favourite songs of all time

It's actually my favourite song of all time. And it gets beaten by Shakira???!!! Rikand's lucky I'm not still an admin as he'd be getting a smack of the banhammer if I was. :pac:
    Kid Rock's homage

Is homage another word for b*st*rdisation?

Also dam you mark mcacbe and my misspent youth :pac:

Actually I regret nothing :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Rikand: *posts Shakira*

Zaph:

giphy.gif

Right night all. See you all for Ecto's competition I hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Jaysus nice surprise folks :)

I’m away in Lisbon so haven’t been able to follow the reveal as I normally would.

One of my favourite songs so glad you like it Rikand!

Great game and well done to all. Looking forward to looking back again over these entries when I get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Congratulations Osh!

Brilliant game. Thanks Rikand. Currently working my way through the songs submitted for mine and really enjoying it.

Reveal starting next week.

Thanks so much Rikand. This has been brilliant! I can't wait for more walruses!!! (Walrus-i?)

Well done Osh! :)

Pretzill wrote: »
    Thanks Rikand - great reveal and most enjoyable game. Congrats Osh. Comiseration Strawbs on the wooden drumstick.

Had I known Rikand, you were a JT fan you probably would have got his version of Everyday (you nearly did) for covers, fire& rain for pre 2010, Frozen Man for intro...etc. :)

Copperline is one of my party pieces on the guitar. Actually submitting Copperline for all categories would have won. Even the 2019 category :P

its why I didnt list bands or singers in particular. I didnt want to really get a whole pile of songs I definitely knew. I wanted new stuff :D

I've been to see JT twice in concert and hes just amazing!

Copperline is one of my party pieces on the guitar. Actually submitting Copperline for all categories would have won. Even the 2019 category :P

its why I didnt list bands or singers in particular. I didnt want to really get a whole pile of songs I definitely knew. I wanted new stuff :D

I've been to see JT twice in concert and hes just amazing!

Love Copperline. Often play his One Man Band concert, such an entertaining, intimate gig.

Well hopefully you'll have a look through Michael Franks back catalogue - he is a lot different to JT has summer in lots of his songs but he's so clever as a lyricist too. He's throwback jazz mixed with solid melody. Google 18 April's or When the cookie jar is empty or Mister Blue, for starters. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Zaph wrote: »
    It's actually my favourite song of all time. And it gets beaten by Shakira???!!! Rikand's lucky I'm not still an admin as he'd be getting a smack of the banhammer if I was. :pac:

Is homage another word for b*st*rdisation?

Ah Zaph I thought we were table quiz friends :):):). What's wrong with a bit of Shakira? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Fair play to you for this Rikand, cracking competition. Very happy to have finished in the top half after those dodgy middle rounds.

Congrats to osh on some consistently excellent songs too.

Barney92 wrote: »
    Fair play to you for this Rikand, cracking competition. Very happy to have finished in the top half after those dodgy middle rounds.

Congrats to osh on some consistently excellent songs too.

Likewise I'm happy to have avoided relegation after the worst possible start in the first two rounds :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Rikand, amazing game, thanks so much for bringing it over to us. It's been a fncking joy to follow from start to end. Even though I was pipped at the post by osh I still had a blast picking out the songs for you.

I'm fairly sure that the 2nd place song by Los Campesinos was used for some radio show like Dave Fanning or something. It has radio show intro written all over it in my head. It's a great song. Listening to 1st place atm and yeah.........its a deserved winner I think. Congrats Osh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

No sorry I take it back, I've just listened to the songs and my song is CLEARLY the most summery. I'm going to go home and have a pint of cider in my back garden listening to it this evening. I demand a recount Rik! #soreloser :pac::P

Ha! I'm looking forward to seeing PJ's categories when he gets time too he's next on the list :D

Yeah loved it Rikand. I'll set up my thread soon.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Sorry I missed this (didn't even know it was a thing tbh!)

I'd have thrown in

for a cover entry (could also have picked 6 or 7 from your list)

For Intros I might have gone with:

Foreign Language

Just because its so bad its good...maybe :)

For summer you cant go too far wrong with

and arguably its a good intro too!

Pre 2010 (just a little bit)

Pearl Jam would have finished in midtable obscurity because I know that particular cover well and I dont like it as much as the one submitted :)

Intro would not have done well at all lol

Nor would Dilly Dally

Dakota would have done well on Summer and Intros lol

Creedance sure put some unbelievable collection of amazing songs. Fortunate Son is my favourite, but any Creedance song would have done pretty well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,108 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Pearl Jam would have finished in midtable obscurity because I know that particular cover well and I dont like it as much as the one submitted :)

Intro would not have done well at all lol

Nor would Dilly Dally

Dakota would have done well on Summer and Intros lol

Creedance sure put some unbelievable collection of amazing songs. Fortunate Son is my favourite, but any Creedance song would have done pretty well :D

doh! I mean, woo-hoo! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Some very sad news today. Found out that David Berman (of Silver Jews and Purple Mountains - my 2019 entry) died yesterday.

https://amp.theguardian.com/music/2019/aug/08/david-berman-acclaimed-us-indie-songwriter-dies-aged-52

Advertisement