Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

Dug my way out of Blessington this morning, N81 had HUGE piles of snow cleared to the side but was fine apart from a wandering cow near Brittas on the way back. The difference as I reached Tallaght was remarkable, much less snow. Staff doing great work at Tallaght Hospital and Supervalu Aylesbury keeping everything moving. Went up to Drogheda and Bettystown after and it was nearly all gone up there. Much better response from authorities and business owners than 2010. Was amazed and pleasantly delighted to find my estate cleared when I got back

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

Back in Naas today. Ploughed snow on the Monread Road beside Ted Johnson's wins the prize for the biggest digger pile I've seen so far.

The diggers got us into the Maudlins Ind Est but half the parking spaces were out of action.
    Rained most the day but the piles didn't seem to be getting any smaller.

Back in Naas today. Ploughed snow on the Monread Road beside Ted Johnson's wins the prize for the biggest digger pile I've seen so far.

The diggers got us into the Maudlins Ind Est but half the parking spaces were out of action.

Schools back open tomorrow. All the snow is piled on the footpaths, so all the kids are going to have to walk on the roads which is going to block traffic as there is just about enough room for 2 cars to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

To Kermit,MT and the other key posters a big sincere thank you for your posts. It all helped me prepare, minimise trips to empty shops. Even had food for elderly neighbours. As a bonus got sleds for my kids and as I didn't have to worry about food/milk I could focus on fun.

Haven't read the last few hundred posts since Wed so I'd this rype of post has been done a lot so be it.

Thanks Weather experts.

Edit: now I see the thanks thread!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Hi, is there anywhere on Met Eireann site that shows a complete list of the various warnings that were issued for the Beast from the East/Storm Emma event, that is the warning levels, regions, times they were in force ? I am trying to compile a list and its not easy to see when and where they were issued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

There is one in the Square Car park and it must be 18-20 foot high it will last till the end of the month i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭snowgal

Story on the beast on channel 4 now, the British side if anyone's interested! Maybe yee all snowed out!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

It's great to hear that we (the weather forum in general) have had a positive impact on any reader's life, I think between this event, Ophelia in Munster at least (2017), Darwin (2014), the 2010 snow and maybe a few other windstorms and rainstorms, we've saved people an astronomical amount of bother and possibly a significant amount of cash out of pocket (one person anyway said specifically that they moved a car away from a tree that would have crushed it).

It's not so much that we have a different forecast here, but your usual sources have their image and credibility top of mind and won't tell you about certain things until they are sure -- sometimes that is a bit later than you would like to plan ahead. We on the other hand can be a little more daring although I don't do things just with no thought given to credibility. Image -- well let's just say I have the perfect face for radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Could someone link me to the original storm Darwin thread? I wasn't on boards at the time. Will pass away a bit of the Nightshift for me! ;-)

I can't locate the thread with the search

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

The Pest from the West on its way this weekend? These types of fakenews websites should be shut down an banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭tiegan

Could someone link me to the original storm Darwin thread? I wasn't on boards at the time. Will pass away a bit of the Nightshift for me! ;-)

This is one of the threads https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057145715

I wasn't on these forums then either but, as far as I can see, this the thread you're looking for.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88964589

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The Pest from the West on its way this weekend? These types of fakenews websites should be shut down an banned.

There will be a pest but probably not the snowy type :)

Not beyond possibility for some snow on Wednesday night across the midlands though, ECM shows it cold enough but no precipitation, WRF and GFS clutching at straws but it's very unlikely

nmmuk-42-57-0.png?05-18

51-779UK.GIF?05-18

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Just out of interest - my front and back gardens are still covered in snow as is most of the estate (except for the bits that we’ve shovelled in order to get out). I’m amazed that so much is still here even on grass - Sandyford. Currently 3c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Still some more chilly stuff to come by the look of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well ,hopefully, with the jetstream so far south, the clash of mild and cold air causes another snowy episode before March is over.
    It won't be anything like what we had, of course. Most of us will be dead before something like that occurs again in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Hi, is there anywhere on Met Eireann site that shows a complete list of the various warnings that were issued for the Beast from the East/Storm Emma event, that is the warning levels, regions, times they were in force ? I am trying to compile a list and its not easy to see when and where they were issued.

I don't know about their website, but you can scroll back through their Facebook/Twitter profiles and you'll see each warning they issued, including areas and validity periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The ECM has dropped the intensity on the weekend low, but GEM (Canadian model) still likes it, GFS sort of so-so. And by intensity, we're talking about a system that would be mostly rain for the southeast, sleet in some other places, snow only on higher ground.

However, this may be the "next big thing" -- ECM is concentrating energy on the following system due in around mid-week or nine days from now. The current track is well south of Munster into southern England with a strong northeast flow over Ireland. And it's certainly cold enough to snow in the north, sleety looking uppers Dublin to Limerick, heavy rain at sea level in south.

Still lots of time for this to evolve or change again, but the bottom line is that the old cold is still lingering just to the north, and upper level dynamics have not warmed nearly as much as you might suspect from the slow thaw. The only difference now is that the source to the northeast is cut off and so slightly milder air from the nearby parts of the Atlantic are filtering in. Later this week, a slight chill develops in these upper levels compared to today, but only enough to bring the freezing level down to high ground in the west. That retreats slightly by Saturday and we have the brush with the enigmatic low of certain promise, followed by whatever the ECM can deliver. It could get very active, or it may be a series of near miss type scenarios. There is no guarantee but one or more snowfalls in the 5-10 cm range could occur later this month or even in April. But you can handle that, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Artane2002

MÉ said sleet and snow in the North and west on Saturday 'but nothing comparable to recent events'. I've never seen them saying something like what I quoted until today.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 UpTheHillFrom

Craanford Village North Wexford over the weekend.

https://youtu.be/fsSOxc1Mxh0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Deblowin

Our drive and road still covered in snow to 20-30 cm now icy and hard. Slow thaw. There are three foot compacted drifts between us and where the council diggers have managed to get to. We walked to Rathcoole village yesterday - hard to believe the mess. Snow has been piled off the roads onto footpaths in places including those the kids would have used to get to school today. I understand the need to clear tracks for e.g. emergency traffic but dumping it on paths is not a great idea. Maybe it also reveals our priorities for getting around. Lots of kids and buggies will be sharing the road today with cars managing snow narrowed lanes. I hope they all take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

444898.jpg
    galtees today, first time seeing them since last thursday

Artane2002 wrote: »
    MÉ said sleet and snow in the North and west on Saturday 'but nothing comparable to recent events'. I've never seen them saying something like what I quoted until today.

Someone in ME must have read this.

wakka12 wrote: »
    I think a reload of cold would be really funny even if its not a severe one, even the slightest mention of snow on Met eireann would have the country going mad panic buying again thinking the same snow was coming back

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Well this event has passed and a severe one. There will be snow lying (sometimes deep) in many inland areas for a few days yet.

I won't be contributing as much as i'm literally fatigued after it.

Thanks to everyone who joined in and posted their experiences and those who contributed. Despite the disruption and difficulties of the event I know most enjoyed it as well. That's what it's about.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Deblowin wrote: »
    Our drive and road still covered in snow to 20-30 cm now icy and hard. Slow thaw. There are three foot compacted drifts between us and where the council diggers have managed to get to. We walked to Rathcoole village yesterday - hard to believe the mess. Snow has been piled off the roads onto footpaths in places including those the kids would have used to get to school today. I understand the need to clear tracks for e.g. emergency traffic but dumping it on paths is not a great idea. Maybe it also reveals our priorities for getting around. Lots of kids and buggies will be sharing the road today with cars managing snow narrowed lanes. I hope they all take care.

Our cul de sac was blocked and no one could get cars out so on Sunday everyone came out with shovels and snow shovels to clear it .After much pondering on where to actually shovel it to they made an executive decision to pile it in larger heaps on the foothpath .Yes we have to walk on the road but there really wasnt much option as most drives are concrete with two cars parked .The roads around us have done the same as we really had no choice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭sjb25

Unbelievable few days have worked since Thursday morning got home to my family yesterday

Thanks to Kermit and MT and the other regulars in here they ment I was prepared and my family was well safe while I was away

Great hard work by all emergency services

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Still a lot of snow up in the Wicklow Mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

We’re still on a status orange tread lol all over days ago

davidsr20 wrote: »
    We’re still on a status orange tread lol all over days ago

All over days ago? Tell that to the people in the east and southeast of the country where there are still many areas with deep drifts of snow and all the people who have no running water or electricity , and the farmers and businesses who have suffered severe damage and disruption as a result of the severe weather. Far from over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Yep, and for all the stuff about "panic buying" last week, I went to a southside dublin supermarket at lunch, and very limited stocks of anything perishable still. I thought I'd leave the limited supplies making it up to the mountains for those still only able to get out on foot, but I didn't want to be too fusy!

Advertisement