Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the level snow is mostly gone here now. Fields here are mostly green except for snow banks in the ditches or the odd drift. All roads clear except for some dirty slushy piles on the verges. Most of the garden is green again except for compacted snow and remains of drifts. It's going to take a long time for the ground to dry up after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

This should be called "Bread Alert,2018 Snow".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

gozunda wrote: »
    Sryan - Do you have a good suggestion? We have to call it something cap'n!! :D

Bread Crisis of 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Artane2002

That would be slush. Are the roads clear now? ME are forecasting sharp frost for tonight and those footpaths will much worse. There is still an orange warning in place for Leinster until at least tomorrow morning.
    Yes, that was a typo. There is real snow too. Most actual roads are clear but the footpaths leave much to be desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

wakka12 wrote: »
    Id say the big snow would be more accurate!

I'd say "Lidl Snow" is even closer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

our local SuperValu still has alot of stock not available. Still extremely busy for a Monday with people stocking up again. it will probably take a few more days for the Supermarkets to be back to normal with supplies and neat shelves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Bread Crisis of 2018

Down here that would translate as "The Sliced Pan Crisis - 2018" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Just went to dunnes leopardstown there mother of god no fruit or veg
    Place wedged out the door worse than Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 19,728 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

He was found outside so it's just as likely (probably more) he suffered a stroke or heart attack.

• Advertisement

Sryanbruen, there was an article in the Evening Echo newspaper here last week which stated that Cork Airport recorded its highest ever snowfall depth figure which was 26cm in Feb.1978.I can`t find the figure on the ME site. Would that be correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Sryanbruen, there was an article in the Evening Echo newspaper here last week which stated that Cork Airport recorded its highest ever snowfall depth figure which was 26cm in Feb.1978.I can`t find the figure on the ME site. Would that be correct?

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/969624601415299072

Villain wrote: »

Those are not official figures as far as I know. Anyway I just wanted to know if the published record Cork Airport snowfall amount in Feb.1978 is correct as I can`t see it on the ME site.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I think a reload of cold would be really funny even if its not a severe one, even the slightest mention of snow on Met eireann would have the country going mad panic buying again thinking the same snow was coming back

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I think a reload of cold would be really funny even if its not a severe one, even the slightest mention of snow on Met eireann would have the country going mad panic buying again thinking the same snow was coming back

The papers would have a field day with the headlines, blizzard on the way. set to be ten times stronger than Storm Emma.

And then every clickbait article getting shared on Facebook.

Syran, if another cold episode were to happen when do u think it would occur

As the zonal wind reversion is expected to be around the third week of March going by today's ensembles, I'd say the last week of March into the beginning of April - the start of the Easter holidays. This is only based on today's outlook though and could look very different tomorrow, however I've been saying this also for a weeks now; see my Spring 2018 forecast for example that I released on Tuesday last week highlighting March to have a cool start and a cool end with a milder incursion in between.
    gozunda wrote: »
    Down here that would translate as "The Sliced Pan Crisis - 2018" :D

It's the best that I could come up with :p, I'm not good with names.

That would be correct:

tepXg9Z.png

archives-1978-2-20-0-0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

That would be slush. Are the roads clear now? ME are forecasting sharp frost for tonight and those footpaths will much worse. There is still an orange warning in place for Leinster until at least tomorrow morning.
    I think ME are going a bit overboard forecasting sharp frost for tonight, the country is under a blanket of cloud and with low pressure dominating any frost will be patchy as cloud breaks if any will be short lived.
    The sky cleared for about 10 mins where I am last night and the temp suddenly dropped a degree or so but jumped back up when it clouded over again.

Take note of what ME are forecasting for Friday as a possibility in the northwest.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Snow is all but melted here in Cork City. It actually melted very fast really. All that is left now is the mounds of snow from snowmen, from what fell off of cars and snow which was ploughed up from snow ploughs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Artane2002

There was virtually no thaw on Saturday here but there was a very significant thaw yesterday. It slowed down a bit today, but still significant. To my surprise, despite the patchy cover remaining, some bits still have 5cm left. My garden is still fully covered (probably around 2cm) so if it doesn't melt by tomorrow night then I would have a week of lying snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭TheChosenOne_

First day back to normality today felt just like the first day back after the Christmas holidays. Had a serious case of the blues. It has been great craic since last Tuesday evening around the town and especially in the local pubs. A few days which will be remembered forever I'd say...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

The last of the snow at annagh hill Co Galway 5/03/18
    IMAG3115_zpskpbu7yuz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Still an absolute mess here in Kildare and likely will be for a while yet, the main road is still only passable to one lane of traffic and all footpaths are piled high with snow. My car is still stuck so had to walk 45 minutes into town in the middle of the road dodging traffic while wading through ankle deep slush. Lovely :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

A bit in fields where drifting and the blobs from ex-snowmen is all that can be found here in West Clare (plus places where snow was ploughed/cleared to the side).

The melt here was slow until yesterday when we had a lovely heavy rain shower which made quick work of any of the smaller depositions.

My Winter methodology table has been updated to include 2017/18 now. ENSO is an estimate though as Weak La Nina is not confirmed, we need one more tri-monthly period for it to be confirmed. Will edit it if it does not turn out that way.

NAO was positive for the fifth Winter in a row. QBO was easterly, AO was negative. An average SSN of just 8.5 which is the lowest for any Winter since 2008-09 and is comparable to 2007-08's 8.1.

faLhTnk.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

Gerry just mentioned schleet for Thursday. Not out of the woods yet😂

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭moeblogs

Can't make up my mind, a float or a 99..
    444839.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Loughc wrote: »
    The papers would have a field day with the headlines, blizzard on the way. set to be ten times stronger than Storm Emma.

And then every clickbait article getting shared on Facebook.

Just saw this shared on facebook hahaha
    https://www.rsvplive.ie/news/irish-news/met-eireann-forecast-snow-subzero-12130065

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭the 12 th man

moeblogs wrote: »
    Can't make up my mind, a float or a 99..
    444839.png

A Snowcone maybe?

Advertisement