Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

We were lucky we didnt get a 1947 style thaw like mentioned in this article:
    https://turtlebunbury.wordpress.com/2017/12/13/the-big-snow-of-1947/

• Registered Users Posts: 35,682 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Still people trapped in my arse.

How come some snow melts, and some can sit in sun for whole day and not melt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

pad199207 wrote: »
    Still an incredible amount of snow in Naas. Can’t see this melting anytime soon!

Council did a pretty poor job clearing the roads and what they did do they just moved it onto the footpaths. Sallins there are no footpaths and the way to the train is lethal. I parking on a mound of snow. I hope I can get my car out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Drove from the hills to Kilkenny city today. Loads of snow around on the high ground still but as one went down and got closer to the city it was less and less, until there is virtually none in the city.
    I heard it said that in 1947, the snow was gone in the city and it had remained on the hills. The thaw of the hill snow caused record flooding in the city.
    On my road you are driving with snow higher than the car on both sides, I'm just interested to see how long it lasts.
    There was a torrential shower earlier in Kilkenny, rain/very wet snow mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭josip

How come some snow melts, and some can sit in sun for whole day and not melt.

Melt rate also depends also on temperature and humidity.
    Clean snow will absorb less energy from the sun than dirty snow.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

We were lucky we didnt get a 1947 style thaw like mentioned in this article:
    https://turtlebunbury.wordpress.com/2017/12/13/the-big-snow-of-1947/

The stories in the article are incredible to read and try to understand. It must truly have seemed like the end of the world to the people who experienced those conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Just back in the country today - went to the park with doggy who has been in kennels the last 12 days. I was gutted I missed all the snow but on reflection I'm really quite the lucky one.... cos i still love snow, I'm not sick of snow and I want it to snow again real soon. I gather the general consensus is that most people are sick of the stuff round these 'ere parts 
    This was all that was left to play in :-(

attachment.php?attachmentid=445011
    attachment.php?attachmentid=445012

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Jojo37

Nothing really left in North Cork only the very odd mound of snow where people have cleared their driveways. But, It's snowing heavily right now! Definitely won't stick though the ground is too wet. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

Snowing heavily here aherlow Co tipper ary. Has started to stick

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Currently snowing / sleet falling & sticking in places.....

130 m asl
    North Cork Limerick Tipperary border

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Not getting the giving out about clearing paths. They cleared roads first and are no working back to clear the mounds/ paths. Well that's the obvious plan around here as to how things have gone.

Not every road clear yet though, for the doubters. The cleared roads were icy this morning and was looking like a harder frost after a decent thaw today...

Special shout out to the bus companies bringing tours up despite the call for it to be local access only, and , the local bus companies have been holding off because roads were too narrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Ninja snow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭aidanodr

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Can you imagine the panic if Dublin woke up white in the morning!!

hirlamuk-1-14-0.png?07-22

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Edit: Weathercheck got there first!!

HIRLAM wants a more substantial band to cross from NW to SE overnight.

It looks as though it will be cold enough in some parts and over high ground for this to be snow if it did occur but max 2-4cm

(see image posted above, no point posting it again)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Cork airport, 1 degree with dew point 1 degree also. shower of sleet was reported at 2130

sdanseo wrote: »
    Edit: Weathercheck got there first!!

HIRLAM wants a more substantial band to cross from NW to SE overnight.

It looks as though it will be cold enough in some parts and over high ground for this to be snow if it did occur but max 2-4cm

(see image posted above, no point posting it again)
    Id ignore it though as it has totally different orientation of current precip over Munster!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

gozunda wrote: »
    Currently snowing / sleet falling & sticking in places.....

130 m asl
    North Cork Limerick Tipperary border

Ground and vehicles covered. All white again ... :/

Outside temp 0.8c

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Id ignore it though as it has totally different orientation of current precip over Munster!

The Met.ie 3hr is showing a band pushing in off the NW at 1am as well which is a mix of HIRLAM and Harmonie right?

BB could get a fresh 5cm :O

18030803_0712.gif

• Advertisement

sdanseo wrote: »
    The Met.ie 3hr is showing a band pushing in off the NW at 1am as well which is a mix of HIRLAM and Harmonie right?

It is an absolute nowcast situation, with such a slack low pressure system, the hourly HIRLAM on met.ie is useless.

Watch the radar, satellite and obs for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭tiegan

Heavy snow falling in Fethard Co Tipp, starting to stick, flakes nearly the size of a saucer, I kid you not!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Same here in Tipp town - couldn't believe it when I looked out the window !

Snowing here in north Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

And so it begins.........again?
    Didn't catch the forecast earlier, did anyone predict Groundhog Day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

ps200306 wrote: »
    The only time I was up Galtymore was in heavy snow sometime during the 90s. One of our party took a turn and we dug him a snow hole to shelter in while we went up top. Can't remember the year but there were three foot snow drifts, as well as some bare patches in places exposed to the howling, freezing wind. Those spots were frozen so hard I couldn't kick stones off the ground to use as weights for a wind shield for the kerosene stove. Please do post your pics if you get up there.

Sorry, only just looking back over posts. Never made it. Gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Hold on, is there another beast from the east?? Seen the snow reports there, could you just imagine fellas getting up for work tomorrow to a blanket of snow 😂😂😂 there would be havoc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Hold on, is there another beast from the east?? Seen the snow reports there, could you just imagine fellas getting up for work tomorrow to a blanket of snow ������ there would be havoc

Its called #pestfromthewest .. really :D

• Advertisement

My car is white again, and where the grass was green, it is also white again, the drifts getting a top up.

Advertisement