Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I just read that the chief forecaster for the UKMO warned the British government a month ago that the beast from the east was coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Well there's been chatter about the impending SW event for about a month, I think it was in the back of long range forecasters' minds since that started up. Don't know if they had any other solid indications.

The first tell-tale synoptics would have been about mid-February when the large high formed north of Alaska and started retrograde motion but you may recall also we were chatting about that 1070 mb high in northern Siberia about early February IIRC and what that might mean. Maybe they had information about its future too, which I think was mostly a split followed by part of it moving northwest and part southeast, there wasn't much left of it by the time that Alaskan high showed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ps200306

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Is anybody here near the Galtees? Love a hike up them when it spits snow in Cork, as there's always a lot up there. I can only imagine what it must be like up there! Hopefully get up there today or tomorrow for a look. Will post pics if I do.

The only time I was up Galtymore was in heavy snow sometime during the 90s. One of our party took a turn and we dug him a snow hole to shelter in while we went up top. Can't remember the year but there were three foot snow drifts, as well as some bare patches in places exposed to the howling, freezing wind. Those spots were frozen so hard I couldn't kick stones off the ground to use as weights for a wind shield for the kerosene stove. Please do post your pics if you get up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ps200306

Like the snow, the posting rate on the boards snow threads has started to melt away. But between the technical thread and the current and archived discussion threads there are over 23,600 posts. Looks like some posters never got to bed when the snow got going last Wednesday night. Here's the hourly posting rate since the first thread started a fortnight ago:

cnPQJts.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Goodbye snow, for now at least, and thanks for the memories:(

"A few light taps upon the pane made him turn to the window. It had begun to snow again. He watched sleepily the flakes, silver and dark, falling obliquely against the lamplight. The time had come for him to set out on his journey westward. Yes, the newspapers were right: snow was general all over Ireland. It was falling on every part of the dark central plain, on the treeless hills, falling softly upon the Bog of Allen and, farther westward, softly falling into the dark mutinous Shannon waves. It was falling, too, upon every part of the lonely churchyard on the hill where Michael Furey lay buried. It lay thickly drifted on the crooked crosses and headstones, on the spears of the little gate, on the barren thorns. His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead.”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

GFS going for a countrywide snow event at day 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

GFS going for a countrywide snow event at day 6.

Haha and so it begins.....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

no ....

oh okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Electricity etc back since late last night. You’d take for granted the wonder of a shave and shower! :pac:

Going to chance the drive to work this morning. I’ll be fine once I get onto the main road, but living rurally, getting there may prove to be too difficult to overcome. We’ll see.

Thanks to everyone on the thread, especially the experts forewarning of this event. Because of it, I was able to keep family members safe and at home instead of them venturing out, and just about managed to stock up on enough food (with the help of the fantastic local shopkeeper) to get us over the worst.

After Ophelia a few months ago and Emma the last few days, I hope it’s quite a while before our paths cross again lads!

Stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Unforgettable.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Paully D wrote: »
    Electricity etc back since late last night. You’d take for granted the wonder of a shave and shower! :pac:

Going to chance the drive to work this morning. I’ll be fine once I get onto the main road, but living rurally, getting there may prove to be too difficult to overcome. We’ll see.

Thanks to everyone on the thread, especially the experts forewarning of this event. Because of it, I was able to keep family members safe and at home instead of them venturing out, and just about managed to stock up on enough food (with the help of the fantastic local shopkeeper) to get us over the worst.

After Ophelia a few months ago and Emma the last few days, I hope it’s quite a while before our paths cross again lads!

Stay safe.

Wait until the extreme heat warnings in the summer.............................................ehh then again maybe not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Wait until the extreme heat warnings in the summer.............................................ehh then again maybe not.

We live in hope....lessness!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,143 ✭✭✭✭km79

Oh let me dream.......
    Anyway to echo what Paully said a big thanks to all the genuine posters throughout . It has been an amazing few weeks to follow something like this and then it actually comes to fruition!
    Thankfully the temps were not quite as severe here so pipes didn't freeze. That was my main concern .
    I don't know if I'll ever see this amount of snow again. The drive to the shops Saturday was HAIRY. Massive snowball drifts half blocking the main road at random spots .
    I have one final question before I leave .........did it snow outside Swanners window ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

My estate in Newbridge is still under a lot of snow cover , although a good thaw and spending most of the day clearing the roads ( Well some of the neighbours did ) I couldn't get my A4 automatic out yesterday ,

Had no problem all through the event with my 4X4 , was in Naas yesterday and wow its still in a very bad way , was really surprised by the extent and cover of snow up there still .

ps200306 wrote: »
    Like the snow, the posting rate on the boards snow threads has started to melt away. But between the technical thread and the current and archived discussion threads there are over 23,600 posts. Looks like some posters never got to bed when the snow got going last Wednesday night. Here's the hourly posting rate since the first thread started a fortnight ago:

cnPQJts.png

I wonder how that compares with the posting rate during the Ophelia weather event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

My estate in Newbridge is still under a lot of snow cover , although a good thaw and spending most of the day clearing the roads ( Well some of the neighbours did ) I couldn't get my A4 automatic out yesterday ,

Had no problem all through the event with my 4X4 , was in Naas yesterday and wow its still in a very bad way , was really surprised by the extent and cover of snow up there still .
    Arklow town is the same
    People walking on the road too which is very narrow because of what’s piled up
    Spare a thought for people on hills

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Still 15cm of snow on the level/away from drifts in my part of Dublin 16. I dug out my car yesterday and got out of our estate - just spent 45 minutes digging/getting my wife's car out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,130 ✭✭✭pad199207

AWful awful conditions here in N Kildare. Have never seen the likes of it. Got messages from peope in Dublin asking to see where the best snow drifts were to come and show the kids. My mind was boggled.

Finally my estate was unblocked yesterday afternoon and manages to get out for drive. Incredible scenes. Many roads and areas are still completely cut off.

I see Leo has stated today that people may be found dead in their homes as a result of the severe weather conditions.

http://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/newsireland/leo-varadkar-we-may-find-people-dead-in-their-homes-in-the-coming-days/ar-BBJSee1?li=BBr5KbJ

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I see Leo has stated today that people may be found dead in their homes as a result of the severe weather conditions.

http://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/newsireland/leo-varadkar-we-may-find-people-dead-in-their-homes-in-the-coming-days/ar-BBJSee1?li=BBr5KbJ

Why would people have died in their homes? I wouldn't have thought it was long enough for anyone to starve and even if their electricity ran out I wouldn't have thought the temperatures were low enough to kill anybody if they lit a fire and had loads of blankets

• Advertisement

Arklow town is the same
    People walking on the road too which is very narrow because of what’s piled up
    Spare a thought for people on hills

I do. I live on hilly ground myself and while most of the snow that fell here has thawed, there are still huge problems in my area with burst and frozen pipes. I have had no running water supply since last Wednesday night and trying to get a plumber to come out is very difficult at present.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

wakka12 wrote: »
    Why would people have died in their homes? I wouldn't have thought it was long enough for anyone to starve and even if their electricity ran out I wouldn't have thought the temperatures were low enough to kill anybody if they lit a fire and had loads of blankets

Big assumption there that everybody is able and nimble. It does not have to be below freezing for somebody to die of hypothermia.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Natibaby

Nearly everyone in our estate came out and dug the place out yesterday but once you leave the estate the paths by the main roads are very bad, icy, slushy and very unsafe overall. Lots of the secondary roads still haven't been cleared in south Dublin, the council really need to clear them today, especially around the schools

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Dublin Airport had another 34.1mm of precipitation yesterday bringing its March 2018 total up to 104.8mm for the first 4 days of the month (its entire March average is 52.6mm). Its wettest March in modern times (since 1964) was March 2008 with 102.4mm so it's already wetter than that!? In contrast, Casement Aerodrome has seen only 14.7mm of precipitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

wakka12 wrote: »

They forgot to get bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

They forgot to get bread.
    Were there any weather warnings?
    I blame the government and Met E for not warning us that disruptive weather was on the way. I heard absolutely nothing on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I posted yesterday about some parents complaining about the school reopening and some snow left on the pitch etc.One was complaining the loudest about missing days etc. And lo and behold their kids are at home today while their neighbours brought their own kids to school without incident.
    So far nobody has died or been injured today at the school. ;)

Were there any weather warnings?
    I blame the government and Met E for not warning us that disruptive weather was on the way. I heard absolutely nothing on RTE.

Stage 5 has well and truly kicked in then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Stage 5 has well and truly kicked in then.

I think (hope) he was being sarcastic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Its worth noting that the temperature in most places hasn't been above 5c for over a week now. This would even be unusual in January or February I think.
    I noticed that Oak Park and Johnstown Castle got up to 6/7c briefly yesterday afternoon but both are 3c at the moment.

Advertisement