Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options
1286287288289290292»

Comments

Front garden snow drift (not piles of snow from clearing) has just dipped below 17 inches this morning.

20180310_111650_800x600.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Most of the remaining lying snow is gone here this morning after the rain, still plenty of snow everywhere but mainly in drifts and piles now. Lots of standing water and pools in the fields and generally everything's still a mess, grass verges have been turned to muck from people avoiding walking on footpaths all week. We could really use a dry mild week to kickstart a bit of growth

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Driving around Wexford this morning,10c and lashing rain with snow still lying in the fields and drifts still in the ditches,not counting what snow ploughs piled up.
    Mini fog patches over the snow as the rain came down.
    One woman in a shop told me she "can't wait to see the glacier across the road eventually melt."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Doesn't even look real!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Well this was the view on a local road close to my home in North Kildare, near the Meath border, yesterday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 thinkingahead

TV3 weatherman Deric Ó hArtagáin took to Twitter on Sunday to share his long-range forecast.

He shared a weather map alongside the caption: So ...no need for alarm just yet but something is stirring for next weekend.

"Could #BeastFromTheEast could be making a come back?! Early tracking models for next Sunday 18th.

"Nothing confirmed. Will be keeping a close eye!!" he said

While Met Eireann have yet to share their forecast for March 17, they wrote on their website: "Signs are for colder weather next weekend."

A more detailed forecast is likely to be posted in the coming days.

A Met Eireann forecaster was unable to rule it out when they told The Sun: “I wouldn’t want to put any bets on it. With the high pressure over Scandinavia it could, literally, go either way.”

The added: “The weekend is actually quite uncertain. What we have is several low pressure systems in the mid-Atlantic at the moment.

“For Wednesday and Thursday it will become very windy, it will be a very wet day on Wednesday.

“On Thursday this low pressure system is going to stay in situ for another day or three and that is basically what we can say.

“However, there is a high pressure system over Scandinavia, so it is a battle between them – basically Ireland is sitting on the fence between the low pressure and high pressure."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I'm sure this thread was locked yesterday.

If there's going to be a second beast from the east, I would suggest a new thread for it. The current state of play seems to be 70% chance of a severe cold and snow episode next Sunday 18th into Monday 19th. The ECM is particularly bullish on this, Arpege runs out before start time but looks to be supporting ECM, GEM has come fully in line now, and GFS backed off its earlier no-cold flip-flop and is over to a southerly dive into the western Med so in other words a modified cold without as much (if any) snow potential for Ireland.

Would say hold meeting of the minds and determine when to start new thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Is this looking like a mostly Leinster thing or will it be Leinster/Munster mainly like the last initial beast?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

It has been named the pest from the west.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

That might apply more to the mid-week rainstorm and windy event.

I see a new thread is open now for discussion of the impending second beast.

This thread should be used now for follow-up photos and commentary on aftermath of round one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

TV3 weatherman Deric Ó hArtagáin took to Twitter on Sunday to share his long-range forecast.

He shared a weather map alongside the caption: So ...no need for alarm just yet but something is stirring for next weekend.

"Could #BeastFromTheEast could be making a come back?! Early tracking models for next Sunday 18th.

"Nothing confirmed. Will be keeping a close eye!!" he said

While Met Eireann have yet to share their forecast for March 17, they wrote on their website: "Signs are for colder weather next weekend."

A more detailed forecast is likely to be posted in the coming days.

A Met Eireann forecaster was unable to rule it out when they told The Sun: “I wouldn’t want to put any bets on it. With the high pressure over Scandinavia it could, literally, go either way.”

The added: “The weekend is actually quite uncertain. What we have is several low pressure systems in the mid-Atlantic at the moment.

“For Wednesday and Thursday it will become very windy, it will be a very wet day on Wednesday.

“On Thursday this low pressure system is going to stay in situ for another day or three and that is basically what we can say.

“However, there is a high pressure system over Scandinavia, so it is a battle between them – basically Ireland is sitting on the fence between the low pressure and high pressure."

Met Eireann, rightly, are not going to enter a Twitter competition for viewers with TV 3.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Documentary on RTE 1 at 10.15 tonight featuring the Beast from the East/Storm Emma.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/listings/television/#!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Is there a new thread for the cold spell sorry if there is and I've missed it. Again :(

Is there a new thread for the cold spell sorry if there is and I've missed it. Again :(

Since Monday now.... :pac:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057851222&page=41

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Nice to see a Wikipedia page on the Beast from the East. While it is short, it is very interesting (to me at least). I learned more about Winter 2009-10 and 2010-11 from Wikipedia so it is a pretty good resource. Some parts may be slightly inaccurate but I'm sure you can figure out what they mean.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Great_Britain_and_Ireland_cold_wave

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

sdanseo wrote: »

My snow shovel was cheaper than that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Couple of shots of Blessington.... About 18 hours apart.

image.jpg
    image.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Very nice pictures indeed.

It's 1.5c here, but feel like more like -5 with the breeze. Still have to remind myself it's the 19th of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Just a quick query. Does anybody have or know to get the link to the forecasts Siobhan Ryan did on the 6pm and 9pm news before Storm Emma hit?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

pad199207 wrote: »
    Just a quick query. Does anybody have or know to get the link to the forecasts Siobhan Ryan did on the 6pm and 9pm news before Storm Emma hit?
    https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/weather-special-30003671/10846085/

Advertisement