Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Echoing the thanks. I'm a bit clueless when it comes to the weather, but I've learned a lot from this thread. I really appreciate how those with the knowledge explained things for the rest of us.

It's snowing here again at the moment. The ground is far too wet for it to land. I only noticed because I had to go downstairs and the velux window on the landing has a nice covering. For once I'm not disappointed that it's not going to land! Tipp/Kilkenny border.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MassINeverHad

Whiplashy wrote: »
    Echoing the thanks. I'm a bit clueless when it comes to the weather, but I've learned a lot from this thread. I really appreciate how those with the knowledge explained things for the rest of us.

It's snowing here again at the moment. The ground is far too wet for it to land. I only noticed because I had to go downstairs and the velux window on the landing has a nice covering. For once I'm not disappointed that it's not going to land! Tipp/Kilkenny border.

I'm on the Tipp/KK border too. Tipp side of Urlingford and it's snowing and lodging here now. I went out to get the dogs and nearly had a heart attack. According to google weather it's a 'heavy snowstorm'

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

This is giving a really decent deposit of snow, whether one wanted it or not...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

I noticed the Met office have a snow warning for Wales and the North Midlands. Issued earlier today from midnight to to 11am. From the system currently affecting Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

No warning from Met Éireann

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

If anything makes it to Dublin while people are asleep it'll be falling as snow for sure. -1 DP -2 even though they are forecasting light rain.

There would be war.

EIDW 080000Z VRB01KT 9999 FEW019 BKN140 M01/M02 Q0989 NOSIG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

I'm on the Tipp/KK border too. Tipp side of Urlingford and it's snowing and lodging here now. I went out to get the dogs and nearly had a heart attack. According to google weather it's a 'heavy snowstorm'

Maybe I'll wake up to a surprise in the morning! I'm not far from Callan, so a good bit down the road from you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

At midnight it was -2 in Roscommon and +6 in Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Heavy Snow falling in Durrow since midnight, grass and cars and roof tops white. Big flakes at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

Came through really heavy snow in Tipperary on the M8. It's building up on the road surface.

Very dangerous driving conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

I knew this slack low would produce at least one unexpected snow event :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

It was extremely heavy. I couldn't even see the road surface and had to drop to about 50km/h.

There was a covering for snow on both lanes enough to totally obscure the markings and that happened within a few minutes.

Down to +0.4c and fine flakes falling. South Laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

1.6c In D14, DP at 0c. Dublin airport much colder at -2c. As much as I'd love to see ninja snow here I Don't think the precip will make it.

Pegging it down again. Patchy accumulations on the road now. 0.4c still. South Laois.

I went out and measured the snow, it is still pelting it down.
    5cm on the concrete surface, 7.5cm on the car.
    There is going to be a lot of shocked people around here tomorrow morning.
    Looking at the radar, there could be a lot still to come here for north east Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Snowing here in south Kilkenny too, we still have a lot of snow still left from last week. Should be fun in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Snowing heavily in Thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    1.6c In D14, DP at 0c. Dublin airport much colder at -2c. As much as I'd love to see ninja snow here I Don't think the precip will make it.

Rain shadow. Ah well.

It looks like the snow is stuck in the same area and is dying out slowly.

• Advertisement

RobertKK wrote: »
    I went out and measured the snow, it is still pelting it down.
    5cm on the concrete surface, 7.5cm on the car.
    There is going to be a lot of shocked people around here tomorrow morning.
    Looking at the radar, there could be a lot still to come here for north east Kilkenny.

That's almost a red warning :pac:

What are the odds Gerry was in charge of this forecast
    Cold and frosty overnight, with some patches of ice and fog. Showers at times too, with sleet in places and with a little snow on some hills and mountains, especially over parts of Munster and south Leinster early on and in other areas later tonight. Lowest temperatures -2 to plus 2 C.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Could be an "interesting" rush hour around Dublin...

hirlamuk-1-14-0.png?07-22

Could be an "interesting" rush hour around Dublin...

Can't see temps holding once the sun comes up. Looks like game over now that this band hasn't reached us. Unless of course the wind swings east/southeasterly in which case I'm having another snow day!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

Pegging down snow here in north kilkenny

We will need the snow plough out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

Ah its not sticking as roads are wet,only see it on the grass and cars.its turned to a sleety shower now.

My satellite signal is gone from a build up of snow on the satellite dish, it will have to wait till morning.

bassy wrote: »
    Ah its not sticking as roads are wet,only see it on the grass and cars.its turned to a sleety shower now.

Higher up it has stuck everywhere and still coming down hard.
    Near 9cm on the car now. over 6cm on the concrete surface.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

patneve2 wrote: »
    I knew this slack low would produce at least one unexpected snow event :D

Then it is not unexpected!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Nice, clear, frosty morning in Dublin.

Advertisement