Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Still people trapped in my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

davidsr20 wrote: »
    We’re still on a status orange tread lol all over days ago

We can all look at our own situation and say that if that is the case. But it doesn't make it fact for others, it took the council many hours to dig through the amount of snow in my area yesterday, given the large volume of snow that had drifted on the road. They continue this work today elsewhere.
    Maybe you live in an urban location, but in rural areas, there are many areas in the country that still have to be cleared, that said even urban areas are still being affected by the aftermath of the weather event.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

To be brutally honest,it has always been the way that a majority of people enjoy snow for the first few days but after that it gets tiresome and expensive

I love snow and the build up to the event and during but with the hardship on the farm work wise (A lot of extra work),not getting in untill 9 at night having to tend to sick or cold animals and worse having lost sheds meaning a mess of trying to House new borns in places not suitable
    Plus the flood of thaw and the mounds around the yard
    No there’s a limit to my joy and it’s passed a while ago

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭mikeecho

This country is not equipped to deal with snow.. or any bad weather beyond 24hrs.

So.. as much as i like to see snow etc. We're just not equpied.

The latest beast &Emma were great. But, after 36hrs, it became tiresome.

It's no fun being house bound in a rwd car on summer tyres.
    Yes I had plenty of provisions, the dog got plenty of walks, and I missed a few days of work.

But.. being captive in your own house... has it's limits.

• Advertisement

The roads of south co Wicklow/North wexford today

https://www.facebook.com/wexkidd/videos/10156096336092305/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

To be brutally honest,it has always been the way that a majority of people enjoy snow for the first few days but after that it gets tiresome and expensive

I love snow and the build up to the event and during but with the hardship on the farm work wise (A lot of extra work),not getting in untill 9 at night having to tend to sick or cold animals and worse having lost sheds meaning a mess of trying to House new borns in places not suitable
    Plus the flood of thaw and the mounds around the yard
    No there’s a limit to my joy and it’s passed a while ago

Any reports on how many farm animals died?

Any reports on how many farm animals died?

I’d rather not think about it tbh
    Mine were very lucky given what fell in on top of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Casualsingby

I’d rather not think about it tbh
    Mine were very lucky given what fell in on top of them

I guess many won't know until after the drifts melts. There were plenty of warnings so no doubt that saved a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Deblowin wrote: »
    Our drive and road still covered in snow to 20-30 cm now icy and hard. Slow thaw. There are three foot compacted drifts between us and where the council diggers have managed to get to. We walked to Rathcoole village yesterday - hard to believe the mess. Snow has been piled off the roads onto footpaths in places including those the kids would have used to get to school today. I understand the need to clear tracks for e.g. emergency traffic but dumping it on paths is not a great idea. Maybe it also reveals our priorities for getting around. Lots of kids and buggies will be sharing the road today with cars managing snow narrowed lanes. I hope they all take care.

Amazing, yet only a few miles away in Lucan my garden is almost snow free bar one or two piles and the road is just about completely clear.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

95% of snow melted here now, only the biggest drifts left and areas of compacted snow. The first of the snowflakes fell this time last week so we now have lying snow for a full week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The roads of south co Wicklow/North wexford today

https://www.facebook.com/wexkidd/videos/10156096336092305/

For some reason I had a craving for lemon meringue pie after watching that.

Those are the size of "windrows" (what we call plow drifts) you might see up in the mountains around here, or in town except that our streets are a lot wider, same size of snow piles though. And we had from 20th December to last week to accumulate ours.

Gonzo wrote: »
    95% of snow melted here now, only the biggest drifts left and areas of compacted snow. The first of the snowflakes fell this time last week so we now have lying snow for a full week.

That’s mad!
    We have complete cover here near Arklow and even a lot of the town is still covered
    I’d say we got a lot more than January 82
    Walking or I should say wading across the fields I noticed several drifts in the middle of fields
    You’d be Wellington deep and then suddenly waist deep and then of course you’d have 5 or six foot drifts at the ditches
    All of this from Emma because we only had a dusting to lunchtime Thursday after which it started coming down in hammers

Regarding the drifts in the middle of the fields and the dept in the fields I reckon there was so much snow falling,the wind wasn’t fit to carry it all the way to the ditches
    The yard where the shed roofs came down is completely enclosed and yet there was snow knee to waist deep in it (I’m 6’3)

Here’s a pic of yesterday evening here
    It’s pretty much the same level of cover today
    My father always said when there’s snow on the ground,some more has to come to take it away

https://twitter.com/arklowweather/status/970708618726268928?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Still some slush lying around at Grange. The Hole in the Wall Road has one side covered in lying snow still outside the Grattan Hall apartments, this is the part I highlighted before with especially deep snow on Friday night in which the photos I took did not justify how much there actually was there and to this day here on Tuesday, still is! It's mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Still plenty left here in Kildare as well though slowly getting back to normal today, finally managed to dig my car out this morning and there's a lot more patches of grass visible again. Most roads have now been cleared though still dangerous in spots where they haven't been fully cleared and the road narrows all of a sudden

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

That’s mad!
    We have complete cover here near Arklow and even a lot of the town is still covered
    I’d say we got a lot more than January 82
    Walking or I should say wading across the fields I noticed several drifts in the middle of fields
    You’d be Wellington deep and then suddenly waist deep and then of course you’d have 5 or six foot drifts at the ditches
    All of this from Emma because we only had a dusting to lunchtime Thursday after which it started coming down in hammers

Regarding the drifts in the middle of the fields and the dept in the fields I reckon there was so much snow falling,the wind wasn’t fit to carry it all the way to the ditches
    The yard where the shed roofs came down is completely enclosed and yet there was snow knee to waist deep in it (I’m 6’3)

Here’s a pic of yesterday evening here
    It’s pretty much the same level of cover today
    My father always said when there’s snow on the ground,some more has to come to take it away

https://twitter.com/arklowweather/status/970708618726268928?s=21

the reason why our snow is already melted is because our area did poorly up to Thursday from the streamers and then Emma itself fragmented during Thursday night around 1am and it stopped snowing for over 12 hours and then it regained steam around 5pm on Friday.

It was still a very good event here but the snow here near Dunshaughlin was only a fraction of what happened in Wicklow, parts of Wexford, Kildare and Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Gonzo wrote: »
    the reason why our snow is already melted is because our area did poorly up to Thursday from the streamers and then Emma itself fragmented during Thursday night around 1am and it stopped snowing for over 12 hours and then it regained steam around 5pm on Friday.

It was still a very good event here but the snow here near Dunshaughlin was only a fraction of what happened in Wicklow, parts of Wexford, Kildare and Dublin.

And yet at my location in the very North of Kildare, a few km SE of Enfield, it did not stop snowing at all on Thursday or Friday. At lightest, it was moderate but it was usually heavy to almost white out conditions at times. Still a good bit of snow around today. The last blocked local road was finally plowed this morning, resulting in massive piles of snow on top of the already large drifts. Before it was cleared, the 2km of road had approx 5 feet of snow right across the road.... To the top of the hedges.

And it’s good morning from a still snow covered Arklow
    Current air temp is -0.1c

d494c22c8051d672db7f01042812271e.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Remnants.

5_F415_F54-3_B44-4511-_A767-_FD644796254_F.jpg

276_BDBB9-_BD89-4_AB1-84_AE-652_E621709_ED.jpg

A942_A400-_A635-497_B-_B944-6_DEBD302_C8_DB.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Just drove to Killtipper and there are huge mounds of snow at the roadsides and the paths are uncleared and lethal .It means the school kids have to walk on the road and it is then naturally effecting the traffic flow .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 UpTheHillFrom

Craanford to Camolin Road, North Wexford. Larger snow drifts near the end of video

https://youtu.be/eIr_oHvPw8s

This one was a road about 1 mile from Craanford Village, they took about 12 hours to dig out the road to get to the dairy farm. It was dusk so lighting is a little dull.

https://youtu.be/EvqDVG6VJh0

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Still an incredible amount of snow in Naas. Can’t see this melting anytime soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Ballyglunin Co Galway small bit of snow left 06/03/18IMAG3114_zpsh6cyvptt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Cant believe people are still looking at massive drifts. You'd barely know it had been snowing down in east dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

mikeecho wrote: »
    This country is not equipped to deal with snow.. or any bad weather beyond 24hrs.

So.. as much as i like to see snow etc. We're just not equpied.
    We can deal with it when we want to, December 2010 in Dublin city was a lot colder, lasted longer and saw a lot more snow than the recent snap yet everything with the exception of the airport stayed open. I can even remember bringing my kids to school because they stayed open! One morning it was -8c.
    People went about their business because things had to be done, the alternative was sitting in a house on Xmas day with no food or drink! :eek:
    I know lots of people who drove long distances on roads in atrocious conditions to get home for Xmas, all made it and arrived safely of course. Any other time of year they would have cancelled their journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭snowgal

We can deal with it when we want to, December 2010 in Dublin city was a lot colder, lasted longer and saw a lot more snow than the recent snap yet everything with the exception of the airport stayed open. I can even remember bringing my kids to school because they stayed open! One morning it was -8c.
    People went about their business because things had to be done, the alternative was sitting in a house on Xmas day with no food or drink! :eek:
    I know lots of people who drove long distances on roads in atrocious conditions to get home for Xmas, all made it and arrived safely of course. Any other time of year they would have cancelled their journey.

This! Was just saying to OH yesterday. If we HAD to, alot the country would run. Because of the red alert and it only being a few days of disruption most people were able to/happy enough to stay home last week. In 2010 after a certain amount of time ppl just had to get on with. I remember then going to work in conditions worse than last Thursday here in Meath for example. Now I know for SOME people this wouldnt be the case, esp those out in the country but generally we'd find a way to make it work.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

snowgal wrote: »
    This! Was just saying to OH yesterday. If we HAD to, alot the country would run. Because of the red alert and it only being a few days of disruption most people were able to/happy enough to stay home last week. In 2010 after a certain amount of time ppl just had to get on with. I remember then going to work in conditions worse than last Thursday here in Meath for example. Now I know for SOME people this wouldnt be the case, esp those out in the country but generally we'd find a way to make it work.
    Indeed, I too went to work in the snow in 2010 but that was only after a couple of days of letting it settle.

Had we been looking into a week of this, everyone would have gone like they did on Saturday/Sunday, cleared the local roads of snow and gone about their business.

And it’s good morning from a still snow covered Arklow
    Current air temp is -0.1c

insane that you still have snow covered fields, our fields starting turning green in places as early as Saturday night/Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Still problems in parts of Wexford,drifts on roads and places still being dug out.
    One lorry driver had a serious rant earlier about people's driving habits. Basically "people driving too fast on narrow roads under the impression that the quicker they go the quicker they get off the roads and feck anyone else."
    People meeting large vehicles and are incapable of the bare basics of reversing into wider parts of the road to let the larger vehicles pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

All thats left in Cork City is a few bits of snow from the bases of snowmen, otherwise everything is gone (Besides in CUH where there are massive mounds of dirty black snow piled up, from snowploughs). Have had green grass visible for awhile now.

Advertisement