Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Weather Snow / Ice Weds 28 FEB ( Onwards ) ** READ MOD NOTE POST#1**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

wakka12 wrote: »
    I think (hope) he was being sarcastic

Yes he was. I misunderstood his post.

Its worth noting that the temperature in most places hasn't been above 5c for over a week now. This would even be unusual in January or February I think.

I noticed that Oak Park and Johnstown Castle got up to 6/7c briefly yesterday afternoon but both are 3c at the moment.

Yes, but without the wind chill of last week it feels almost balmy now by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Here we go again!! :)

6CIGLuK.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Here we go again!! :)
    :D another cold blast?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,865 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Its worth noting that the temperature in most places hasn't been above 5c for over a week now. This would even be unusual in January or February I think.
    I noticed that Oak Park and Johnstown Castle got up to 6/7c briefly yesterday afternoon but both are 3c at the moment.

Is Oak Park a bunch of houses next an entrance to Phoenix Park?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Footpaths are in terrible condition. Full of slush and dirty snow.

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Footpaths are on terrible condition. Full of snow and dirty snow.

That would be slush. Are the roads clear now? ME are forecasting sharp frost for tonight and those footpaths will much worse. There is still an orange warning in place for Leinster until at least tomorrow morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

99% of snow has thawed here, just a few patches here and there in sheltered areas. Wonder when I will see 20cm of snow here again ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Musefan wrote: »
    Management company cleared the road and behind cars so we could get out, but it was a tight squeeze and we cleared a bit more from around our car and ferried it away to the grass where it wouldn't get in the way. The neighbour pulled his car out there and just kicked all the snow on his side over behind our car so he could get out :mad:

So more importantly did your husband agree that there was sufficient amount of snow in the past week to lose that 5 yoyo bet?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Funny, but I haven't felt cold at all during the last few days. Felt colder earlier this year. Maybe I'm acclimatised. I miss it already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

samih wrote: »
    So more importantly did your husband agree that there was sufficient amount of snow in the past week to lose that 5 yoyo bet?

Yup! I've been flashing the cash :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Musefan wrote: »
    Yup! I've been flashing the cash :P

Excellent! In all fairness it would have difficult to change the terms and conditions to wiggle out from that one :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Cornerstonelad

cnocbui wrote: »
    Is Oak Park a bunch of houses next an entrance to Phoenix Park?

Teagasc Research Station, Oak Park, Co. Carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭molly dolly

We live in Wicklow foothills. I work in Carlow. Different worlds. Local NS is still closed. Have to say community really rallied together. Old people checked, farmers clearing roads. Warnings seemed to have been listened too and we all got through pretty unscathed. This and Carlow weather were great sources of info. Wicklow alerts also very good. We dug our drive our yesterday. Great bonding for himself and myself. Did sit a big agog at many abled body people bitching about council not doing their bit. Up our way we didn't see a council nor did we wait for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

patneve2 wrote: »
    99% of snow has thawed here, just a few patches here and there in sheltered areas. Wonder when I will see 20cm of snow here again ...
    Is the local graveyard on a height with an east facing slope?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Weather Model are a little all over the place today, the weekend is very hard to call but the Wicklow Mountains could see more snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, definitely a "different worlds" thing going on here. Drove from D16 where there were still foot-high drifts blocking paths and lining the roads, out to Blackrock where there are just a few small patches of stuff here and there.

Even hearing locals in the shop at lunch talking about how it was "all a bit overblown" and "there was no need to shut the whole country down". Meanwhile yesterday morning it took my wife 90 minutes to walk the 3km roundtrip to a pharmacy.

Kind of mad how people's experiences differed so widely despite only being a few KM apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I would like to nominate this memorable snowfall/ cold event with its own unique name.

I propose - The Big Freeze of 2018 :D

How that sound?

gerrybhoy wrote: »
    :D another cold blast?

Most likely scenario yes, impacts of the Canadian Warming are certainly being signalled at here now by the ensembles in the zonal wind speeds going down to reverse levels again.

The fly in the ointment is how a Canadian Warming has never been done before in February since records began in 1950-51 so you have nothing historically to base off of - which I stated last night and it's giving me an incredible headache trying to get around it and find other teleconnections that could give me some teasers. I'm not having much luck because the NAO is gradually going back to neutral and rather positive levels, same with the AO.

The stratosphere has taken some jumps down after the third warming spike of last Tuesday bringing temperatures up there, especially at 30hPa, closer to average but not below.

We're coming quite close to a period where stratospheric events don't really have much impact on the troposphere historically because as we go into May, the zonal winds take a death and reverse regardless of the stratosphere, this is why you rarely ever see windstorms at this time of year and even then, laughable compared to Autumn or Winter windstorms.

I hope to god we don't get another cold spell or a snow event - or even any snow. Unfortunately for me, that's an unlikely hope and the more likely occurrence is for it to be cold and some snow. I will keep you up to date as usual with these kinds of things.

gozunda wrote: »
    I would like to nominate this memorable snowfall/ cold event with its own unique name.

How that sound?

Very original gozunda. :rolleyes:

siege.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

seamus wrote: »
    Yeah, definitely a "different worlds" thing going on here. Drove from D16 where there were still foot-high drifts blocking paths and lining the roads, out to Blackrock where there are just a few small patches of stuff here and there.

Even hearing locals in the shop at lunch talking about how it was "all a bit overblown" and "there was no need to shut the whole country down". Meanwhile yesterday morning it took my wife 90 minutes to walk the 3km roundtrip to a pharmacy.

Kind of mad how people's experiences differed so widely despite only being a few KM apart.

Yes places close to mountains got noticeably more
    During the friday storm I walked from mill town to dundrum shopping centre and there was a noticeable bit more Id say,slightly deeper snow overall and higher drifts and the snow and wind were more intense, thats only 1km south and a few dozen metres higher

And my friend from dundrum said he went to marlay park and thats not too far from his home and he said there was noticeably more snow there than in dundrum village area

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

seamus wrote: »

Thats where my skepticism of snow depth reports from other parts of Bray and their skepticism of mine came from. I live near Brays Seafront on Meath Road and was talking to my Aunt yesterday who lives only 1.4km away from me beside Bray Tennis Club near the top of Putland Road which runs up a hill from the Seafront. Her house is at an elevation of 155m and 1km from the Sea. She had a foot of snow in her garden on the flat while I maxed out at about 2.5 inches near the Seafront. There was no such drastic contrast in snow depths in either event of 2010. I recently had my Homer Simpson 'DOH!' moment and realised why this was the case. All the 2010 snow was Lake effect Snow Streamers with light winds. Emma brought gale force winds, High Seas and Horizontal blowing snow. The winds blew a constant salty sea spray along with the 30 hours straight of heavy snow onto the seafront area and a few roads back from it. Natures De-Icer. So the snow was melting as fast as it was falling where I am and thus we never built up any further accumulation over and above the initial 2.5" we got from a Streamer on the Tuesday Night. Hence a dramatic difference with only 1.4km separating me from my aunt and with her only 1km from the Sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,520 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

How that sound?

Notably, it hardly froze at all.

Temperatures were usually close to zero, hence the difference between Blackrock and D16 mentioned, one degree warmer in Blackrock made a difference.

In 2010 base temps were much lower and so a degree warmer at the coast was still well below freezing.

Notably, it hardly froze at all.

Temperatures were usually close to zero, hence the difference between Blackrock and D16 mentioned, one degree warmer in Blackrock made a difference.

In 2010 base temps were much lower and so a degree warmer at the coast was still well below freezing.

Interestingly when much of the rest of the country was getting snow for the first 2 days - it froze fairly hard here. Getting down to -8c. The ground was frozen solid as concrete around here. The main snow only arrivedd the night that Storm Emma was predicted to make landfall.

From Monday 26th thru to Thursday was this first time sincec 2010 that it was noticeable with the cold actually radiating from the ground up during the day. Daytime temps were just about clearing freezing with little if any thaw until Sunday. That said I am @ 130 m asl and close to the Galtees.

Anyways I suggested of the top of me head

"The Big Freeze of 2018" ;)

If you have another suggestion - call it out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Interestingly when much of the rest of the country was getting snow for the first 2 days - it froze fairly hard here. Getting down to -8c. The snow only arrivedd the night that Storm Emma was predicted to make landfall.

From Monday 26th thru to Thursday was this first time sincec 2010 that it was noticeable with the cold actually radiating from the ground up during the day. Daytime temps were just about clearing freezing with little if any thaw until Sunday. That said I am @ 130 m asl and close to the Galtees.

Anyways I suggested of the top of me head

"The Big Freeze of 2018" ;)

If you have another suggestion - call it out :D

Id say the big snow would be more accurate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Is the local graveyard on a height with an east facing slope?

At 40/50m asl, about 280 metres from the sea as the crow flies, ENE facing slope. About 10cm at sea level, 15-20 cm here and 20-25cm on dalkey hill. Nearly all melted now obviously.

sryanbruen wrote: »

Sryan - Do you have a good suggestion? We have to call it something cap'n!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Syran, if another cold episode were to happen when do u think it would occur

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The council came today with diggers and a snow plough and cleared my road.
    There was no way of digging through this much snow:

Advertisement