Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenager and child shot in Dublin halting site

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

So I had to go back 2 years to find a Traveller shooting at a wedding? Can you find me a similar example of a murder at a wedding of regular settled people?
    Can you fnd examples of settled people bring slash hooks to funerals?
    Considering Travellers make up only a half of 1% of the population, there should be hundreds of examples for you to choose from.
    I exempted drug dealers from the equation, because they are criminals first and foremost.
    99.9% of settled people are not criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Just on this, having worked for one of the suppliers for a long time and sitting near the sales and revenue team I always got wind of the goings on, disconnections on halting sites required numerous visits usually and a cost for extra crew plus local Gardai. If the Guards didn't accompany the crew the disconnection often didn't happen. Also we had many cheques from the HSE clearing debts. Most of this big debts were ran up due to interference with meters rather than just non payment of bills also, magnets, dangerous bypassing and physically smashing the esb meters.

Que?

Odhinn wrote: »
    Que?

A strong magnet, placed on the side of a meter, can slow it down and reduce the number of units showing on the meter as having been used.
    Usually found out when the culprit miscalculated the date, and forgets to remove it before the meter man arrives to take a reading!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    So I had to go back 2 years to find a Traveller shooting at a wedding? Can you find me a similar example of a murder at a wedding of regular settled people?
    Can you fnd examples of settled people bring slash hooks to funerals?
    Considering Travellers make up only a half of 1% of the population, there should be hundreds of examples for you to choose from.
    I exempted drug dealers from the equation, because they are criminals first and foremost.
    99.9% of settled people are not criminals.

So you exempted the ones that skew your stats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Rumour has it they caught the wrong man... maybe even the wrong person altogether...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

cisk wrote: »
    Heres the man himself doing some sort of show today at the site.
    II%20%20DSC_8883.jpg

Looks like a lovely chap

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/mediation-talks-offered-to-feud-families-after-baby-shot-in-attack-36401035.html

So am i reading this right:

The misfortunate baby that was shot is this chaps nephew (i.e. his twin brothers son).
    Who is reported to be 17.
    With the mother is reported to be 29.

Was there a statutory sexual assault there i wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

So am i reading this right:

The misfortunate baby that was shot is this chaps nephew (i.e. his twin brothers son).
    Who is reported to be 17.
    With the mother is reported to be 29.

Was there a statutory sexual assault there i wonder.

The 17 yr old is the child's uncle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

eviltwin wrote: »
    The 17 yr old is the child's uncle

Exactly.
    Whose twin is the father?

So you exempted the ones that skew your stats?
    OK, so you don't like the fact that I didn't include the Kinnehan/Hutch type feud into the general settled population, when comparing with the Traveller population tendency for violent array.
    Can you explain away this statistic.
    Travellers are 0.6 of 1% of the population of Rep. of Ireland.
    Traveller males are 10% of the male prison population.
    Traveller women are 22% of the female prison population.

Those figures are from the Probation Service, in case you think I made them up.
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/disproportionate-number-of-travellers-in-prison-population-1.3263524%3fmode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Exactly.
    Whose twin is the father

The twin of your man there I took it, not the twin of the 17 yr old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

And his reason for doing that would be ???? Genuinely have no idea!

This gentleman was to be seen on the RTE News clip last night,shouting abuse in the direction of the camera.
    It appeared to be more about the presence of the media than the actual violent event.
    What is most perplexing about this scenario,is the apparent suggestion that some form of soft-mediation be engaged in before,or instead of a proper criminal investigation.
    If the authorities concede this principle in relation to this group,then a very dangerous precedent will have been set.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

OK, so you don't like the fact that I didn't include the Kinnehan/Hutch type feud into the general settled population, when comparing with the Traveller population tendency for violent array.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/disproportionate-number-of-travellers-in-prison-population-1.3263524%3fmode=amp

It's not that I didn't like anything but if you're going to compare then compare properly. These Kinahan-Hutch types you refer to are 'settled people' so need to be included in comparisons. I'm not sticking up for travellers here, I think they are the cause of many/all of their own problems and happily hide behind culture and so called racism when in actual fact they do not want to integrate or be part of a society of mutual respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Female has now been arrested in connection with this shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

I really don't understand why across the board discrimination, blanket statements and overall ridicule of Travellers seem to be allowed much greater leeway by Mods than other forms of hatred :confused:

If anybody came on here and put forth generalisations about say, ' all those africans' or 'them jews' they'd be dealt with much more swiftly.

It's in every single thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

pilly wrote: »
    How many fatal shootings have there been in Ireland this year alone?

How many carried out by travellers?

I'm not talking about the average gun owner with his hunting rifle and well you know that.

How are we to infer you're talking about fatal shootings by a subsection of the gun owning settled population by referring to what you're talking about as "it" and "those guys" ffs

I dunno how many shootings there are, maybe it's just their culture? Whatevver subsection of gun owners it is you're on about

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Just on this, having worked for one of the suppliers for a long time and sitting near the sales and revenue team I always got wind of the goings on, disconnections on halting sites required numerous visits usually and a cost for extra crew plus local Gardai. If the Guards didn't accompany the crew the disconnection often didn't happen. Also we had many cheques from the HSE clearing debts. Most of this big debts were ran up due to interference with meters rather than just non payment of bills also, magnets, dangerous bypassing and physically smashing the esb meters.

oh i know the tricks used, but it still stands that you do have the facility to remove electricity for non-payment. it's up to the relevant supplier to use it.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I don't really understand all the facilities being offered to them to settle a family argument,all this help being offered and recommend costs money, for them to sort a family argument. It's actually bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Tbf, at least he acknowledges that comparing travellers to violent gangs is more fair than comparing them to people.

oh i know the tricks used, but it still stands that you do have the facility to remove electricity for non-payment. it's up to the relevant supplier to use it.

Suppliers have to get the ESB to do it, it's not always done, in fact it's hardly ever done on halting sites and all the while the bills are going up and up until eventually it's done or the bill is paid by the HSE or DSP.

Some halting sites are now having the bills paid by the CoCo who have had to install check meters inside locked steel cabinets. The lengths companies and coco's are having to go to to stop electricity and gas being interfered with on halting sites is laughable

I don't really understand all the facilities being offered to them to settle a family argument,all this help being offered and recommend costs money, for them to sort a family argument. It's actually bonkers.

if it helps any bit to de-esculate a potentially violent situation then it's money well spent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I really don't understand why across the board discrimination, blanket statements and overall ridicule of Travellers seem to be allowed much greater leeway by Mods than other forms of hatred :confused:

If anybody came on here and put forth generalisations about say, ' all those africans' or 'them jews' they'd be dealt with much more swiftly.

Because IMO
    - most Irish people have exposure to the negative aspects of Traveller culture

- they aren't a separate race to majority, it's a cultural difference*

- there is massive issues in the culture

- travellers are very traditionally Irish Catholic in a lot of ways also from what I have seen they tend to be fairly vocal of their dislike of the other groups that boards deems protected classes e.g LGBTQ, other religions, non-white people.

- traveller stuff isn't " trendy" in Ireland

I'm fairly politically incorrect and not arguing for tighter moderation but the constrast is interesting between them and other groups.

* Which leads to the questions like. If an American dislikes African-American culture but is fine with Africans immigrants is that racism?the two groups have very different socio-economic outcomes after all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

if it helps any bit to de-esculate a potentially violent situation then it's money well spent.

No. It's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

It's incredibly hard for mods to be consistent because there are so many and they don't have the exact same opinions. They do their best but it's a tough gig. I do take your point though.

No. It's not.

it absolutely is . especially if it prevents another yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

No. It's not.

it absolutely is . especially if it prevents another yesterday.

Giving them money will not prevent another yesterday.

Enforcing the law will.

Enforcing the law will.

I think you may have misread something, there's no cash incentive here

Enforcing the law will.

i believe in enforcing the law as well. i have been saying it needs to be enforced for years. however, the mediation may also help in de-escalating a situation, so i have no problem on money being spent on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I think you may have misread something, there's no cash incentive here

Counselling and Mediation services do not come cheaply,and are often priced at a level which puts them far beyond those who are most in need of them.

It would also be interesting to find out of there are any Counsellors or Mediators with Traveller specific backgrounds,as given the,supposedly unique,aspects of Traveller Culture which regularly culminate in "feuds" around the State.

Unless Counselling/Mediation is being provided pro-bono,then cash is most definitely an issue in this.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Lol you haven’t read much of the Jew hating threads on boards they run and run, until certain anti-Semite gets challanged he reports the post and the thread eventually gets shutdown due the hurt feelings of said individual!
    As for this traveller situation no doubt somebody from one of these rival families is going to pay with their lives, unless the Guards tackle the issue and arrest the main culprits!

• Advertisement

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Counselling and Mediation services do not come cheaply,and are often priced at a level which puts them far beyond those who are most in need of them.

It would also be interesting to find out of there are any Counsellors or Mediators with Traveller specific backgrounds,as given the,supposedly unique,aspects of Traveller Culture which regularly culminate in "feuds" around the State.

Unless Counselling/Mediation is being provided pro-bono,then cash is most definitely an issue in this.

That's still not 'giving them money', letting then shoot the arse off one another all over the city and having guards waste time sitting outside halting sites will cost a lot more. The mediation will cost a lot less than the cost of the technical bureau, the armed units and hospital spaces used yesterday

Advertisement