Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenager and child shot in Dublin halting site

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Has pavee point made any comment?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Has pavee point made any comment?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,410 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Baby John Collins, his 29-year-old mother Lynn Doyle and his 17-year-old uncle Mathew Collins were taken to hospitals after being shot at Parslickstown Green in Mulhuddard. Their injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.

Was the shooter looking for the baby's father?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

I have to say I'd be no fan of Travellers and you'd not get me defending them generally but shooting a baby is so far over the bounds of right and wrong it's unreal.

I felt for the grandfather (I think he was anyway) last night on the news. I agree with everything he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Have a look at today's Herald.
    Front page photo of the fellow who claims to be the intended victim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

I have to say I'd be no fan of Travellers and you'd not get me defending them generally but shooting a baby is so far over the bounds of right and wrong it's unreal.

I agree with you there, my opinion of travellers would be stronger than you have worded it, but this type of incident could easily have occurred in the settled community and it is not acceptable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I agree with you there, my opinion of travellers would be stronger than you have worded it, but this type of incident could easily have occurred in the settled community and it is not acceptable.

It's much more likely to happen in the settled community and when it does a child will be killed cause those guys have an awful lot more fire power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

pilly wrote: »
    It's much more likely to happen in the settled community and when it does a child will be killed cause those guys have an awful lot more fire power.

It's much more likely ?, can you back that up with proof ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

There's far higher numbers of settled people in Ireland, and I haven't heard of any cases like this over here before. And a lot more firepower than a shotgun? I'd hazard the majority of Irish gun owners have hunting rifles, not an awful lot more firepower than a shotgun in any case.

Are you talking out your arse or can you back any of that up?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

LoL.

If I attempted to blow my neighbour's head off (or my neighbour's kid), my feet wouldn't touch the ground with the swiftness of the legal process that would be brought to bear.

Here instead the powers that be pussy-foot around with talk of culturally sensitive 'mediation' between the parties. I could hardly believe my ears listening to the radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

You regard halting sites as "first class accommodation"...:D:D

Travellers in the area near where I'm from were given 6 or so houses, brand new, next to a shopping centre. They've been burned down more times than I can remember, always burnt out cars there, shopping trolleys all over the place, rubbish duped wherever they like around the area. Anyone who knows Nutgrove would know where I'm talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Except it has happened and the child didn't die. I'm not sure what this pissing contest is about really. That traveler scumbags are worse than settled scumbags?

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/ballyfermot-shooting-brother-six-year-old-gun-3701879

Edit: And nobody has been charged for it either. Code of silence isn't restricted to travelers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

You regard halting sites as "first class accommodation"...:D:D

Well they seem to regard living there as first class as houses don't appeal to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

They dont pay bin charges or electricity.

Why are they allowed not pay when others have too?

they aren't. the ESB have the facilities availible to remove electricity if they don't pay.
    One rule for them and another for settled profile.

Hush hush now say nothing....

they are subject to the same rules as us. whether those rules are enforced on them or not is an issue but they are subject to the same rules.
    splinter65 wrote: »
    All the minor children should be taken into care.
    The adults should be given 1 hour to take any belongings and then the place should be bulldozed to the ground.
    Not allowed on the housing list.
    No rent supplement or HAP.
    Any further babies taken into care.

not financially viable and would likely breach some international and other human rights law.
    eviltwin wrote: »
    I live in the area and I've often wondered why social services don't step in. The adults seem to be barely functional a lot of the time and the kids look badly neglected.

they haven't got the resources. they are underfunded like a lot of things in ireland.
    Pavee point on the radio this morning telling all of including the Gardai the ambulance and the fire brigade and DCC that we have no choice, we must allow them time to sort their grievances out, why?
    Because feuding like this is part of their culture.

which station was this on?
    i heard them suggesting for travelers to use the mediation facilities availible.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

Children should never be subjected to any adult drama and certainly never violence.

Feeling a bit desensitised hearing news about shootings at this stage, becoming way too common.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

They dont pay bin charges or electricity.

Why are they allowed not pay when others have too?

they aren't. the ESB have the facilities availible to remove electricity if they don't pay.

they are subject to the same rules as us. whether those rules are enforced on them or not is an issue but they are subject to the same rules.

not financially viable and would likely breach some international and other human rights law.

they haven't got the resources. they are underfunded like a lot of things in ireland.

i heard them suggesting for travelers to use the mediation facilities availible.

Would you have any suggestions at all as to how the small innocent children caught up in this drama could be protected from their families?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

PandaPoo wrote: »
    Travellers in the area near where I'm from were given 6 or so houses, brand new, next to a shopping centre. They've been burned down more times than I can remember, always burnt out cars there, shopping trolleys all over the place, rubbish duped wherever they like around the area. Anyone who knows Nutgrove would know where I'm talking about.

This is it, think the 2 on the left are still out of use, haven't looked for a while.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2885816,-6.2676542,3a,60y,180h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_SE5IXmVyMNsx4-9adp5rQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Heres the man himself doing some sort of show today at the site.
    II%20%20DSC_8883.jpg

Looks like a lovely chap

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/mediation-talks-offered-to-feud-families-after-baby-shot-in-attack-36401035.html

cisk wrote: »
    Heres the man himself doing some sort of show today at the site.
    II%20%20DSC_8883.jpg

Looks like a lovely chap

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/mediation-talks-offered-to-feud-families-after-baby-shot-in-attack-36401035.html

And his reason for doing that would be ???? Genuinely have no idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

It’s a sort of war dance.
    “ I’m so angry and frustrated about the grave injustice visited on my family and I that feel I want to strip to the waist and bare knuckle fight any male member of the other family to the death in order to assuage my feelings of fury. Please note how well built I am and how fearsome I look. Verily, I say unto you, I demand satisfaction !”.
    For a man, hours and hours day after day after month after year of doing absolutely nothing ( wouldn’t tidy up the area wouldn’t put a lick of paint on the house wouldn’t pick up the kids broken toys) have to be filled in some way, and creating an imaginary war with another family is quite time consuming, that’s why there’s so many feuds.

• Advertisement

It’s a sort of war dance.
    “ I’m so angry and frustrated about the grave injustice visited on my family and I that feel I want to strip to the waist and bare knuckle fight any male member of the other family to the death in order to assuage my feelings of fury. Please note how well built I am and how fearsome I look. Verily, I say unto you, I demand satisfaction !”.
    For a man, hours and hours day after day after month after year of doing absolutely nothing ( wouldn’t tidy up the area wouldn’t put a lick of paint on the house wouldn’t pick up the kids broken toys) have to be filled in some way, and creating an imaginary war with another family is quite time consuming, that’s why there’s so many feuds.

Sounds bang on to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭flutered

not financially viable and would likely breach some international and other human rights

travelers get mediation, we get jail

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭flutered

in rowing/fighting circumstances having one clothes like this is an invitation for a broken jaw

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

flutered wrote: »
    travelers get mediation, we get jail

we also get mediation, travelers also get jail.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

AnneFrank wrote: »
    It's much more likely ?, can you back that up with proof ?

How many times this year alone have there been fatal shootings?

How many of those have been carried out by travellers?

There's far higher numbers of settled people in Ireland, and I haven't heard of any cases like this over here before. And a lot more firepower than a shotgun? I'd hazard the majority of Irish gun owners have hunting rifles, not an awful lot more firepower than a shotgun in any case.

Are you talking out your arse or can you back any of that up?

How many fatal shootings have there been in Ireland this year alone?

How many carried out by travellers?

I'm not talking about the average gun owner with his hunting rifle and well you know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Creating an imaginary war with another family is quite time consuming, that’s why there’s so many feuds.

It's all fun and games until a baby gets shot.

Fcuking hell, what chance has that child got?

And I can't help but wonder whether Tulsa would be acting on a child in a more traditional setting who's parents were involved in a feud which could and indeed has brought about violence, and if so why not in this case. It's the only chance this child is likely to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I wouldn't agree with you there, Philly.
    Apart from Drug Dealers and their ongoing territory wars, shootings over arguments/slights etc are very rare in the settled community.
    Now they (Travellers) usually attack each other physically or with edged weapons, with the machete and the slashhook being favourite, but gun attacks are far from unknown.

https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/police-appeal-to-those-involved-in-wedding-shooting-come-forward-before-any-more-bloodshed-happens-30985719.html

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree with you there, Philly.
    Apart from Drug Dealers and their ongoing territory wars, shootings over arguments/slights etc are very rare in the settled community.
    Now they (Travellers) usually attack each other physically or with edged weapons, with the machete and the slashhook being favourite, but gun attacks are far from unknown.

https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/police-appeal-to-those-involved-in-wedding-shooting-come-forward-before-any-more-bloodshed-happens-30985719.html

Now come on, you had to go back to 2015 to find that one.

You can't just leave out the drug dealers when talking about the settled community, they are a part of the settled community whether we like it or not. And the facts don't lie, they've killed far more people this year than travellers have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Just on this, having worked for one of the suppliers for a long time and sitting near the sales and revenue team I always got wind of the goings on, disconnections on halting sites required numerous visits usually and a cost for extra crew plus local Gardai. If the Guards didn't accompany the crew the disconnection often didn't happen. Also we had many cheques from the HSE clearing debts. Most of this big debts were ran up due to interference with meters rather than just non payment of bills also, magnets, dangerous bypassing and physically smashing the esb meters.

Advertisement