Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due April 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭ainy

bbudab wrote:
    Morning girls, yesterday was due date and baby has decided to stay put for a bit longer. Have defo had a few little indications that baby is on the way, but none of the big ones, no mucous plug, no steady contractions no water breaking. My discharge has changed though (I know TMI). It's more watery, but not like a slow trickle and not constant, it seems to happen when I get up and walk around, like it was building up as I was lying/sitting down. It's been happening since yesterday afternoon, has anyone had this before? I want to call the hospital to get a midwife opinion, but I hate the idea of wasting their time. Plus I have a check up in the hospital tomorrow anyway and I live quite far away so 'dropping in' is not an easy option, am I being silly, should I just call?

I would suggest you give a call, it might be something completely normal and they can reassure you. Best to give a call I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 bbudab

Ok, phoned them. She said it's probably just the mucous plug but to go in if i feel very wet throughout the day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

bbudab wrote: »
    Ok, phoned them. She said it's probably just the mucous plug but to go in if i feel very wet throughout the day :)

I was just about to say good idea to ring them. Always nice to get some reassurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

You were right to phone bbudap, for reassurance if nothing else. You poor thing Carrie, hope u and your family feel better soon.

Is anyone else feeling a bit strange about approaching the end of pregnancy? I'm feeling a mix of nerves/excitement/apprehension and wanting to simultaneously slow down and speed up the next two weeks... it's very strange

Is anyone else feeling a bit strange about approaching the end of pregnancy? I'm feeling a mix of nerves/excitement/apprehension and wanting to simultaneously slow down and speed up the next two weeks... it's very strange

I would be feeling the nerves and apprehension for the delivery, excitement about meeting the baby and wanting that to come sooner but I also feel not ready as our house isn't going to be ready for about 5/6 weeks and baby due in 3! Some days I want it to speed up and others I want it to be further away!!
    At least we are at this end of things!

• Advertisement

That's exactly it Ainy... mad mixed emotions!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

That's exactly it Ainy... mad mixed emotions!

Really mixed emotions... it’s my 3rd and I’m still terrified of what’s coming! Not just the birth but the whole life upheaval, breast feeding etc but on the other hand I’m so excited to see what I’m having, what s/he looks like... hormones must be off the scale!

Anyone else with a baby that hasn't dropped yet? I'm due on the 30th and baby still feels high.

Blingy wrote: »
    Anyone else with a baby that hasn't dropped yet? I'm due on the 30th and baby still feels high.

I only feel like mine has dropped in the last week or so and I'm due 18th

I only feel like mine has dropped in the last week or so and I'm due 18th

Thank you. My first had dropped much earlier so was just wondering.

• Advertisement

Blingy wrote:
    Thank you. My first had dropped much earlier so was just wondering.

I thought mine had dropped last week but seems to be sitting high again. I'm due 23rd. I think I have read that on 2nd or more pregnancies they drop later or not at all until labour starts.

It's mad how much you start reading in to changes/signs in your body during pregnancy isn't it? I don't think even as a selfconscious teenager did I focus so much on every lump/bump/twinge etc :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭flo09

Hey all,
    Had a hosp apt yesterday and consultant noticed some light areas on the babys bowel during a scan. Also baby is measuring small so theyve decided to induce me. So nervous and dont know what to expect.

With regards to bump dropping and baby engaging generally this happens later on second and subsequent babies.

Hope everyone is keeping well

flo09 wrote:
    Hey all, Had a hosp apt yesterday and consultant noticed some light areas on the babys bowel during a scan. Also baby is measuring small so theyve decided to induce me. So nervous and dont know what to expect.

Oh wow Flo, when do you start induction? Fingers crossed for you and baby,

ainy wrote: »
    Oh wow Flo, when do you start induction? Fingers crossed for you and baby,

Im back tomorrow to discuss things. Was so upset yday couldnt really take it all in. Havent been sleeping lately just the worry of it all. I had to have an operation at 13 wks pregnant so this pregnancy has been very worrying.

I had a good rest last night so feeling a bit more positive today and maybe induction wont be so bad. This is my 5th and never had one before. But was googling it and a sweep is an induction too. I had one of those before not knowing what it was so id be open to that. Kids are still on midterm so would be nice to have baby before they go back.

flo09 wrote: »
    Im back tomorrow to discuss things. Was so upset yday couldnt really take it all in. Havent been sleeping lately just the worry of it all. I had to have an operation at 13 wks pregnant so this pregnancy has been very worrying.

I had a good rest last night so feeling a bit more positive today and maybe induction wont be so bad. This is my 5th and never had one before. But was googling it and a sweep is an induction too. I had one of those before not knowing what it was so id be open to that. Kids are still on midterm so would be nice to have baby before they go back.

You poor thing Flo, sounds like you have been having a tough pregnancy. Please God you'll feel better after having a proper discussion about your options tomorrow and will feel better informed. Sorry to hear you have been having such a worrying time. Best wishes to you and your family.

Thanks history queen. Its just the final few weeks with the arrival impending that ive been worrying about any poss side effects to baby. Was only assured yday before the scan that its unlikely cos the op was done so early but then the scan showed up something and it was like everything came undone. Im so terrified of giving birth this time, just dont feel mentally prepared for it. Im so tired all the time dont think ive enough energy for it. But you tend to find it from somewhere. Dont want to frighten anyone. But the body is great at preparing you. I just maybe needed a few more days to focus.

If it makes you feel any better you sound like you are having a similar experience to my sister-in-law, she had to have her appendix removed early in her second pregnancy. From then on any symptom/comment/issue with her pregnancy that was different to her first caused her huge anxiety too as she kept wondering if the operation might have caused a problem. She too was induced for a finish... i think because of blood pressure issues, and I remember everyone being on a knife edge until we got word of the safe delivery of the baby *now a very energetic whirlwind of an 8 year old with a permanent smile on her face and constant bruised arms and legs from climbing trees and going on adventures as she says herself*. My sisterinlaw(SIL) was so happy after all the worry to see that all was well in spite of her fears.

I know it's not the same situation but just wanted to let you know that it is definitely normal to worry and wonder but the professionals are there with you so make sure to clarify your worries and fears as SIL says she didn't ask enough questions and so built up her fear as she was afraid to ask questions.

Anyways, you sound like a very practical person so I'm sure I'm not saying anything you don't already know! either way the very best of luck to you

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭TheIronyMaiden

flo09 wrote: »

Flo if it's in any way reassuring, I was induced on my first and this is how it went for me: I was brought in first thing in the morning on the Friday. They had done a sweep on me the day before. First thing they did on Friday was to insert a "pessary" which is sort of like a gel tampon. They leave that in for a bit then take it out. Then it's a waiting game to see if anything happens naturally. I think they can try up to two pessaries if the first doesn't work (neither of mine did). On Saturday, the next thing they did was to check if I was favourable for manual water breaking. I was and they did that Saturday lunch time ish. Now this is where my situation went a bit differently - I had pads on to soak up the waters (takes ages to come out completely) and noticed the water on the pads was a greenish colour. This meant my little one had pooed basically when she wasn't supposed to. Pretty common but meant I was bumped up the list (if this hadn't happened I think I would've been left to see if contractions started themselves after my waters broke). I was given an IV drip of an inducing drug (can't remember the name unfortunately). This was 6 ish Saturday evening and she was born 9 hours later :) so in my experience there was a lot of waiting as there are a lot of different ways to induce.

I really really do wish you the best, totally understandable that you're worried but hopefully soon you'll have your little baba :)

If it makes you feel any better you sound like you are having a similar experience to my sister-in-law, she had to have her appendix removed early in her second pregnancy. From then on any symptom/comment/issue with her pregnancy that was different to her first caused her huge anxiety too as she kept wondering if the operation might have caused a problem. She too was induced for a finish... i think because of blood pressure issues, and I remember everyone being on a knife edge until we got word of the safe delivery of the baby *now a very energetic whirlwind of an 8 year old with a permanent smile on her face and constant bruised arms and legs from climbing trees and going on adventures as she says herself*. My sisterinlaw(SIL) was so happy after all the worry to see that all was well in spite of her fears.

I know it's not the same situation but just wanted to let you know that it is definitely normal to worry and wonder but the professionals are there with you so make sure to clarify your worries and fears as SIL says she didn't ask enough questions and so built up her fear as she was afraid to ask questions.

Anyways, you sound like a very practical person so I'm sure I'm not saying anything you don't already know! either way the very best of luck to you

Oh thanks so much. That really is what i needed to hear. My main worry was the effect of the gen ana while under operation. i wont even take gaviscon for my heartburn. I had hyperparathyroidism which was high calc and kidney stones prior to falling pregnant. Theyll need to check baby once born to make sure her calc levels are ok but they said the risk is minimal but you worry still. I need to see to believe 😂

Thanks so much for the reassurance.

• Advertisement

Flo if it's in any way reassuring, I was induced on my first and this is how it went for me: I was brought in first thing in the morning on the Friday. They had done a sweep on me the day before. First thing they did on Friday was to insert a "pessary" which is sort of like a gel tampon. They leave that in for a bit then take it out. Then it's a waiting game to see if anything happens naturally. I think they can try up to two pessaries if the first doesn't work (neither of mine did). On Saturday, the next thing they did was to check if I was favourable for manual water breaking. I was and they did that Saturday lunch time ish. Now this is where my situation went a bit differently - I had pads on to soak up the waters (takes ages to come out completely) and noticed the water on the pads was a greenish colour. This meant my little one had pooed basically when she wasn't supposed to. Pretty common but meant I was bumped up the list (if this hadn't happened I think I would've been left to see if contractions started themselves after my waters broke). I was given an IV drip of an inducing drug (can't remember the name unfortunately). This was 6 ish Saturday evening and she was born 9 hours later :) so in my experience there was a lot of waiting as there are a lot of different ways to induce.

I really really do wish you the best, totally understandable that you're worried but hopefully soon you'll have your little baba :)

Thats great thanks so much for sharing your experience. that paints a good pic of whats in store. Its good to know they try the gel first. I had assumed id be straight on drip as that was my impression of induction. Im hoping ill be favourable for the sweep as i tend to go early at 39+. He said he'd do an examination tomorrow so maybe ill be brought back fri. Just imagined id be straight into the thick of it so thats good that ill have some time hopefully to get my head around things.

Thanks so much ladies.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MissFire

ainy wrote: »
    I thought mine had dropped last week but seems to be sitting high again. I'm due 23rd. I think I have read that on 2nd or more pregnancies they drop later or not at all until labour starts.

Hey Ainy, I haven't dropped either.. head was down on Monday but not sure it still is.. midwife suggested getting a ball again to get head down and engaged...only thing is, if you don't want your nerves to be totally frazzled you can't take it out in front of kids..

I'm an emotional wreck at moment, I assuming it's hormones or something.. 20 month old has decided he doesn't want to sleep at night any more and 3 year old has developed a dreadful attitude and isn't listening to a word I say. our 12 hour day is spent with mostly her shouting, him crying and me a blubbering mess cause I can't cope .. roll on next week when playschool is back open, bit of routine back..

Oh my ball is my saviour in the evening miss fire, only place I can sit comfortably but then my feet swell so I just have to go to bed instead!! Bit of an emotional wreck myself also, its hard when you feel you can't do all you want to do for the other child!

Hope all ok today Flo,

Hey ladies,
    Induction cancelled. Met with consultant and he said there was no real reason to induce esp since its not what i want. He said since im 39 weeks im so close myself. He said his thinking is that for a pregnancy with issues sometimes its best to just deliver the baby to get it ended but hes happy to wait. No further mention of the scan so i presume on reflection that was a non issue.

Was shattered today after all the build up but happy to have dodged the bullet for another day 😂

Hope everyone is keeping well

Thats great news Flo, you don't have long left now anyway. Enjoy the last few days of midterm with the other children now.

Thats great news Flo, you don't have long left now anyway. Enjoy the last few days of midterm with the other children now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

MissFire wrote: »
    Hey Ainy, I haven't dropped either.. head was down on Monday but not sure it still is.. midwife suggested getting a ball again to get head down and engaged...only thing is, if you don't want your nerves to be totally frazzled you can't take it out in front of kids..

I'm an emotional wreck at moment, I assuming it's hormones or something.. 20 month old has decided he doesn't want to sleep at night any more and 3 year old has developed a dreadful attitude and isn't listening to a word I say. our 12 hour day is spent with mostly her shouting, him crying and me a blubbering mess cause I can't cope .. roll on next week when playschool is back open, bit of routine back..

Dropping in from May thread Missfire, I'm 36 weeks, and have an almost four year old and a two year old....older one is a nightmare since Christmas.Had a weepy session last with my OH, I just can't handle her.I have no patience at all for her and EVERYTHING is a row or whining or temper tantrums.I am not one for taking crap from my kids, but I feel awful that my whole interaction with her right now seems to consist of snapping at her constantly.
    I know she's generally a good child, and she's testing a few boundaries as they do at her age but honest to god, the last few months have been very hard.It is literally like living wih a teenager.I have found age three to be extremely difficult.I am like you, hoping I will get a bit more patient once baby is out.
    Don't be too hard on yourself - every so often we need to cheerlead each other a bit because it's bloody tough, and you are certainly not the only mum feeling this way. :-)

So I've had a bit of a weird day. Was at midwives clinic and all ok except that she mentioned the babies head is down but not engaged. Not terribly concerning but she said she'd get doc to take a quick look. Doc then said baby was quite big and I seemed to have a lot of fluid so sent me for scan. According to the scan baby is 8.14 so far. Back to doc who says baby very big and he doesn't want me going over so need to consider induction. Bringing me back Friday next week to discuss. I'm only 38 weeks...

Surely it's too early to panic yet about head being fully engaged? And while baby is on bigger side once neither baby nor I am in any danger/distress there's no need to induce? Or am I deluded?

So I've had a bit of a weird day. Was at midwives clinic and all ok except that she mentioned the babies head is down but not engaged. Not terribly concerning but she said she'd get doc to take a quick look. Doc then said baby was quite big and I seemed to have a lot of fluid so sent me for scan. According to the scan baby is 8.14 so far. Back to doc who says baby very big and he doesn't want me going over so need to consider induction. Bringing me back Friday next week to discuss. I'm only 38 weeks...

Surely it's too early to panic yet about head being fully engaged? And while baby is on bigger side once neither baby nor I am in any danger/distress there's no need to induce? Or am I deluded?

They certainly have a way of worrying us dont they! They told me the same on my last. I remember the mw pulling all sorts of faces when feeling my stomach. Same stage as you head wasnt engaged. I was like its my 4th, they tend not to engage til in labour.

That would be my thinking, so long as baby is happy, plenty of movement then i wouldnt be opting for induction based only on size. My biggest was 8lbs 11 and im only slight 5"2. Its not an exact measurement either. I think my baby will be bigger than 7lbs. A friend of mine was told she was having a big baby. We all had bets on how big with some ridiculous guesses at 10lbs. She was 2 wks over and baby only weighed 7lbs 7.

I just hate any sort of artificial interference.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I thought the general consensus is that engagement doesn't happen until you're practically in labour, particularly when it's not your first.
    And the size thing....they really annoy me with that size thing....I mean they are projecting growth rate over the next two weeks it's not really an exact science.And they are assuming that what the machine measured on you are the exact measurement, with no distortions from baby lying at slight angles or anything.

Advertisement