Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due April 2018

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Clary sage seems to be the most proven method.Either burning it or a tiny amount in a bath.Use very very sparingly and only once you are over 40 weeks tho because it can have a very potent effect and I believe, cause strong uterine contractions.So don't go mad with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Blingy wrote: »
    Thanks history queen. From when should you take it?

I'm no expert but from what I read some people say as early as second trimester. If you look at link below this is the most cautious saying to wait til 36 weeks. I'm 39 weeks so I'm happy I'm not taking a risk at this stage.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.motherandbaby.co.uk/amp/pregnancy-and-birth/birth/getting-ready-for-birth/raspberry-leaf-tea-in-pregnancy-what-you-need-to-know

shesty wrote: »
    Clary sage seems to be the most proven method.Either burning it or a tiny amount in a bath.Use very very sparingly and only once you are over 40 weeks tho because it can have a very potent effect and I believe, cause strong uterine contractions.So don't go mad with it.

I'm probably asking a stupid question now...but what is clary sage? Is it a herb? I've never heard of it, also where do u get it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It is, and I am pretty sure you can find it in most health food shops.
    I think it comes in oil form for the bath (obviously:o:o).
    From what I've heard, it's pretty potent, so definitely use it sparingly! If you are feeling twinges already, it probably works best then, same as most things.

shesty wrote: »
    It is, and I am pretty sure you can find it in most health food shops.
    I think it comes in oil form for the bath (obviously:o:o).
    From what I've heard, it's pretty potent, so definitely use it sparingly! If you are feeling twinges already, it probably works best then, same as most things.

I must look in to it. Back to clinic tomorrow so be interesting to see what they say... really hoping baby engaged now. How is everyone else feeling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭TheIronyMaiden

Hey ladies, would like to hear your opinion on my current situation. I've been in the hospital for almost 2 weeks now with an "unstable lie" - basically baby is switching from sideways to diagonal constantly. They're keeping me in as if my waters break while he's in either of those positions, without his head/bum blocking the exit the chord could come out and that would apparently be a rush to theatre situation.

So. Here's my dilemma. I'm 39 weeks tomorrow. They said they would be happy to let me go the two weeks over due date to see will he turn himself. Which would mean another 3 weeks in hospital.

If he stays head down for 24 hours, they'd let me go home. But so far over the last 2 weeks, he's only been head down (and not REALLY head down, more head pointing to cervix) twice and both those times was only for an hour or two. Should I request a section? I'm starting to suffer in the hospital missing my little one at home and just in general the monotony of an extended hospital stay.

Given his form, even if he stays head down for 24 hours, I wouldn't put it past him to flip around again after I come home. Which would just mean coming straight back into hospital. I'm torn! What would you guys do?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Honestly, at 39 weeks in that situation if they offer an ELCS I'd take it - and tbh I'm surprised that they haven't already suggested it. Cord prolapse is very dangerous and the thought of lingering around another 3 weeks just sounds miserable.

TheIronyMaiden, that's a difficult position to be in. If it were me i think i would request a section now that you are term. I am generally against artificial interference if at all possible, but in your case where spontaneous labour may result in a rush to theatre anyway, why not book you in and remove the unknown element from the equation? It sounds like the most sensible option given what you've said. I hope other than the discomfort of being in hospital that you are well and baby will arrive safely one way or another sooner rather than later for you

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭ainy

I'm with the others ironymaiden, I think if they offer a section I would go for it. By the sounds of it baby doesn't like to be head down and probably wouldn't last long enough that way for you to be able to deliver. It would prob all end in a section anyway and with having a little one at home, why wait another 3 weeks gmfor the same outcome. Better to have it planned than an emergency.

I think....I would consider it.Now I am weighing up a desire to have zero interference myself against having spent nearly two weeks in hospital after the birth of my first and I know exactly how stir crazy and insane it drives you.

Maybe I would ask them to consider the section at 40 weeks, not 42.And explain how you are feeling.I know I had an absolute emotional meltdown day five after the birth because I just wanted to go home, I hated the lack of privacy and I was a first time mum and people kept wheeling the baby away for treatment without telling me anything...not your situation I know,but I know how emotional/distressing it can become.They were very good when they realised how tough emotionally I was finding it all.I am sure they would review things again, maybe even come up with other options if they knew you were finding it hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭TheIronyMaiden

Wow guys thank you so much for your advice. A lot of you hit the nail on the head there. I feel weirdly guilty about asking for a section - it's like you said shesty I actually think I'm already going mad, the thoughts of another few weeks in here is freaking me out!
    I think I'll speak to the doc tomorrow in that case and ask what the position is on an elective section. My gut feeling is that baby won't go head down at all. I have a lot of fluid so that's enabling him to basically do circles all day!

And yeah apart from that, not a thing wrong with me or baba. The novelty of relaxing all day is nice for the first while but at this stage I'm sick of wearing pjs and walking the same corridors all day every day :P
    Thanks again guys. Really appreciate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

Wow guys thank you so much for your advice. A lot of you hit the nail on the head there. I feel weirdly guilty about asking for a section - it's like you said shesty I actually think I'm already going mad, the thoughts of another few weeks in here is freaking me out!
    I think I'll speak to the doc tomorrow in that case and ask what the position is on an elective section. My gut feeling is that baby won't go head down at all. I have a lot of fluid so that's enabling him to basically do circles all day!

And yeah apart from that, not a thing wrong with me or baba. The novelty of relaxing all day is nice for the first while but at this stage I'm sick of wearing pjs and walking the same corridors all day every day :P
    Thanks again guys. Really appreciate it :)

Don’t feel guilty about asking for a section! Only thing that matters is that you and baba are well. I had similar situation with my first. Was adamant I wanted to go myself and then ended in section anyway... Best of luck with whatever happens but no guilt! You are already doing a deadly job!

Hope all going ok with the gel Flo.

Ironymaiden I get you with the guilt feeling. I am just out from my appointment where I asked for the section and I bawled the whole way through the appointment because I felt guilty that I'm choosing to have a surgery. I'm over the guilt now and relieved that the decision is made and I am booked for section on Monday!
    Going to be a strange weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭flo09

ainy wrote: »
    Hope all going ok with the gel Flo.

Ironymaiden I get you with the guilt feeling. I am just out from my appointment where I asked for the section and I bawled the whole way through the appointment because I felt guilty that I'm choosing to have a surgery. I'm over the guilt now and relieved that the decision is made and I am booked for section on Monday!
    Going to be a strange weekend!

Thanks Ainy but chickened out and didn't show up this morn. Hosp rang looking for me and i just explained that i didnt have a medical reason as to why induction was necessary. Back on tues and i think ill be more open to it as i will be 40+5 then. I was just so anxious and worried about it which isnt the right frame of mind for giving birth.

Ironymaiden, dont feel guilty about any decisions you make. You need to do whats best for you. Its a very personal decision.

You were right not to go in stressed Flo. Best of luck with everything Ainy and IronyMaiden.

I'm a much happier camper this week than I was last Friday. Went in for my appointment and met a different doctor today, explained what happened last week to her and she was just fantastic. Sat down beside me and went through my file with me asking me about my pregnancy so far, then she used the little scanner thing on me and showed me the baby on the screen, pointing out the heart, face etc.

After all this she says "big baby, healthy mother, happy pregnancy, I see no cause for concern here" so she has booked me in for an induction when I'm 10 days over "just in case" and advised me that if I wish to avoid induction a sweep at next week's appointment might be enough to get things moving, if i wish. But no pressure either way. I'm absolutely delighted both at the reassurance that everything is ok and at the fact that I felt listened to whereas last week I felt that I was being dismissed a bit? But that could have been me being over sensitive too.

You were right not to go in stressed Flo. Best of luck with everything Ainy and IronyMaiden.

I'm a much happier camper this week than I was last Friday. Went in for my appointment and met a different doctor today, explained what happened last week to her and she was just fantastic. Sat down beside me and went through my file with me asking me about my pregnancy so far, then she used the little scanner thing on me and showed me the baby on the screen, pointing out the heart, face etc.

After all this she says "big baby, healthy mother, happy pregnancy, I see no cause for concern here" so she has booked me in for an induction when I'm 10 days over "just in case" and advised me that if I wish to avoid induction a sweep at next week's appointment might be enough to get things moving, if i wish. But no pressure either way. I'm absolutely delighted both at the reassurance that everything is ok and at the fact that I felt listened to whereas last week I felt that I was being dismissed a bit? But that could have been me being over sensitive too.

What a fantastic approach by your care giver. Thats exactly how it should be. I have to say ive never had an issue with any of my other pregnancies but the diff this time is the interference of a consultant. Dont get me wrong, he hasnt been high and mighty but they do have an air of authority and i find it hard to discuss anything with him compared with a female midwife. All my visits with him have been 5 mins if even. No proper discussions and no scans. Just him saying this is what we'll do. I think that was the reason for my no show today, no real discussion of my concerns. Delighted for you and you can tell how calm and relaxed you are as a result of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭hollymartins

Hi Ladies

I wanted to update you with my news, our daughter was born a week early last Tuesday :) I was not expecting her to arrive early as I was overdue on my last pregnancy by more than a week!

Started getting pains Sunday night but I initially thought they may be Braxton Hicks (I think I was in denial), they were regular and intensified by Monday evening so we went to hospital just in case. By 3am I was 8cm dilated and she was born after 9am. I had a csection last time around and hoped for a VBAC, it was touch and go if I'd get her out before they would intervene but thankully with plenty of pushing and use of suction our little girl was born. The staff in the hospital were excellent and I always felt in good hands.

I'm pretty sore now but the breastfeeding is going well as I know what I'm doing compared to first time around.

Hi Ladies

I wanted to update you with my news, our daughter was born a week early last Tuesday :) I was not expecting her to arrive early as I was overdue on my last pregnancy by more than a week!

Started getting pains Sunday night but I initially thought they may be Braxton Hicks (I think I was in denial), they were regular and intensified by Monday evening so we went to hospital just in case. By 3am I was 8cm dilated and she was born after 9am. I had a csection last time around and hoped for a VBAC, it was touch and go if I'd get her out before they would intervene but thankully with plenty of pushing and use of suction our little girl was born. The staff in the hospital were excellent and I always felt in good hands.

I'm pretty sore now but the breastfeeding is going well as I know what I'm doing compared to first time around.

Ah that's great news. Congratulations to you and your family

Aw congratulations to you and the family. Enjoy all the snuggles.

Hi Ladies

Huge congrats. Delighted for you. Enjoy that newborn smell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 bbudab

How you doing now bbudab?

Hi girls, hope that you're all doing well :)

Still waiting for baby to arrive, currently 41 weeks and 5 days!!!
    Had a scan this morning and baby still looks very comfortable where he is :rolleyes:
    Moving lots, plenty of fluid around him, good strong heartbeat, I've made him far too comfortable in there!
    Going in for an induction in a few days, might get lucky and things might start on their own in the next 24 hours, I doubt it though. I've tried all the natural induction stuff, plenty of walking (almost 10000 steps a day) lots of raspberry leaf tea, sexy time, I was in the bath for 5 hours the other day!!
    Going to spend the rest of my time relaxing as much as I can, at least I finally have an end in sight!

bbudab wrote: »
    Hi girls, hope that you're all doing well :)

Still waiting for baby to arrive, currently 41 weeks and 5 days!!!
    Had a scan this morning and baby still looks very comfortable where he is :rolleyes:
    Moving lots, plenty of fluid around him, good strong heartbeat, I've made him far too comfortable in there!
    Going in for an induction in a few days, might get lucky and things might start on their own in the next 24 hours, I doubt it though. I've tried all the natural induction stuff, plenty of walking (almost 10000 steps a day) lots of raspberry leaf tea, sexy time, I was in the bath for 5 hours the other day!!
    Going to spend the rest of my time relaxing as much as I can, at least I finally have an end in sight!

Fair play. Im 40+2 and getting slightly anxious as to why baby is taking so long. At least you got a scan. Theyve been fairly sparce on the scans with me. Had one at 28 and 38 and thats all. Even on tues none given just induction scheduled. Got slightly afraid last night just after not going in for the induction.couldnt remember last time i felt baby move. Was up at 2am shining a torch on my tummy then she shifted. The relief. Think im well up for induction now next week. Its just getting a bit scary now.

bbudab wrote:
    Still waiting for baby to arrive, currently 41 weeks and 5 days!!! Had a scan this morning and baby still looks very comfortable where he is Moving lots, plenty of fluid around him, good strong heartbeat, I've made him far too comfortable in there! Going in for an induction in a few days, might get lucky and things might start on their own in the next 24 hours, I doubt it though. I've tried all the natural induction stuff, plenty of walking (almost 10000 steps a day) lots of raspberry leaf tea, sexy time, I was in the bath for 5 hours the other day!! Going to spend the rest of my time relaxing as much as I can, at least I finally have an end in sight!

Oh Wow, can't imagine being at your stage, I'm already over being pregnant and I'm only 39 weeks on Monday and know I'm having a section then!
    Hopefully something will start for you soon.

Anyone that has had a previous section, is there anything extra you recommend to bring in hospital bag or that is not needed? I have my bag ready but that was before deciding to go for the section.

Best of luck Ainy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

Well hello ladies,

Im Grace *wave*

I set up the May preggo group!

And now im booked for a section this Wednesday 18/4/18.

I am now officially an April Mama!

i am 37.5ish weeks (due may 3rd)

Ainy ill let you know on Wed haha!

So had my planned section today, such a nice experience compared to first time round. A baby boy born weighing 8lbs 14oz. Doing really well. He is asleep here beside me after a marathon feed already! We are besotted.
    Now to break it to my little girl she didn't get the sister she wanted!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

ainy wrote:
    So had my planned section today, such a nice experience compared to first time round. A baby boy born weighing 8lbs 14oz. Doing really well. He is asleep here beside me after a marathon feed already! We are besotted. Now to break it to my little girl she didn't get the sister she wanted!!!

Congrats ainy!!! Delighted for you! Best of luck with your little man. Inhad my section 5 weeks ago now and feeling great! Recovery is tough the first 3 or 4 weeks ...just take it easy but try and walk around as much as you can from tomorrow and it'll do you the world of good. X

So had my planned section today, such a nice experience compared to first time round. A baby boy born weighing 8lbs 14oz. Doing really well. He is asleep here beside me after a marathon feed already! We are besotted.

Ah fantastic news. Big boy! So jealous youre all done and dusted lol. Enjoy every min of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Delighted for you ainy. Enjoy all those snuggles.

• Advertisement

Massive massive congratulations Ainy. Thrilled for you

Advertisement