Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due April 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

It is my first Shesty, they did say they like the head to be engaged on the first.i actually wondered why that was significant when they said it. I agree with you re sizing and I'm of the same mindset as you Flo... hate idea of artificial interference unless of course there's a medical reason like baby is in distress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

It's so hard to accurately measure size at this stage. I had a growth scan and monitoring the day before I went into labour on my first and was told baby was about 7 and a half pounds but more like 7 pounds. 48 hours later baby born at 8 pounds 12. Big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 bbudab

Morning ladies, really starting to go a bit crazy now. Baby was due last Monday, so I'm currently 40 weeks and 5 days, doctor says baby is in the perfect position for a normal delivery, head down, engaged etc blah blah blah. My mother always told me that I was born 10 days late and weirdly my husband was also born 10 days late, baby seems to already take after us, but this is so frustrating!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭flo09

It is my first Shesty, they did say they like the head to be engaged on the first.i actually wondered why that was significant when they said it. I agree with you re sizing and I'm of the same mindset as you Flo... hate idea of artificial interference unless of course there's a medical reason like baby is in distress.

Well maybe discuss it with them at your next apt. Obviously we would never put our babies in harms way, but for size it does seem a bit unnecessary. If its your first then they have no idea of your capabilities. My sis is a lot taller and bigger than me and she had to be assisted on all her babies with her biggest being 8lbs 3oz compared with me. I tore slightly on my first, who was only 6lbs 14, but only cos he came out like superman with his hand infront of his face lol. My babies increased in size the more i had and i never needed stitches.

Also for your first, if there is any intervention it tends to dominate how your subsequent births go too.

bbudab wrote: »
    Morning ladies, really starting to go a bit crazy now. Baby was due last Monday, so I'm currently 40 weeks and 5 days, doctor says baby is in the perfect position for a normal delivery, head down, engaged etc blah blah blah. My mother always told me that I was born 10 days late and weirdly my husband was also born 10 days late, baby seems to already take after us, but this is so frustrating!!!!

Oh sorry to hear that. As hard as it is just try enjoy your final few days and get any last bits and pieces that need doing done. Thankfully ive always gone early but this one feels like its being going on forever just cos of the issues ive had. Even my consultant said this is his longest pregnancy as hes seen me since wk 8.

Do something nice for yourself. Ive spent the past 2 wks close to home, not venturing far with my kids but today i decided to get out and about and its done me the world of good and a welcome distraction. Im still up at 11.30! Ill prob be exhausted tomorrow but hubby is here to do the early shift lol.

• Advertisement

Blingy wrote: »
    It's so hard to accurately measure size at this stage. I had a growth scan and monitoring the day before I went into labour on my first and was told baby was about 7 and a half pounds but more like 7 pounds. 48 hours later baby born at 8 pounds 12. Big difference.

Wow thats a huge discrepency. Goes to show how wrong they can get it.

flo09 wrote: »
    Well maybe discuss it with them at your next apt. Obviously we would never put our babies in harms way, but for size it does seem a bit unnecessary. If its your first then they have no idea of your capabilities. My sis is a lot taller and bigger than me and she had to be assisted on all her babies with her biggest being 8lbs 3oz compared with me. I tore slightly on my first, who was only 6lbs 14, but only cos he came out like superman with his hand infront of his face lol. My babies increased in size the more i had and i never needed stitches.

Also for your first, if there is any intervention it tends to dominate how your subsequent births go too.

Ya after having a good chat with my husband about it we've decided we'll hear them out on induction to make sure we are fully informed but hold firm on not having one unless there is a medical need.

Sizing can be so inaccurate but as well as that I have been expecting an 8.5 to 9.5lb baby anyway in my own head as, except for one, all 12 of my husband's nieces and nephews were in this weight range. My husband was an 11lb baby and I was 8.9 myself. I mentioned this to the midwife and she was very much of the opinion that I couldn't really hope for a small baby so... that's why I'm so surprised they're talking induction. I won't even be term for another 10 days!

Ya after having a good chat with my husband about it we've decided we'll hear them out on induction to make sure we are fully informed but hold firm on not having one unless there is a medical need.

Sizing can be so inaccurate but as well as that I have been expecting an 8.5 to 9.5lb baby anyway in my own head as, except for one, all 12 of my husband's nieces and nephews were in this weight range. My husband was an 11lb baby and I was 8.9 myself. I mentioned this to the midwife and she was very much of the opinion that I couldn't really hope for a small baby so... that's why I'm so surprised they're talking induction. I won't even be term for another 10 days!

Oh wow, a history of big babies. Itll be half reared when you have it lol.

Well look the other thing with induction is it will only take if baby is ready too. Its only since i was facing it that ive been discussing it with my friends and there was one in particular who it didnt work on despite numerous attempts. She called a halt to it. So baby needs to cooperate too. It just seems awful to bring a baby on before its ready,like trying to wake a baby from a sleep when theyre sleeping soundly. Im far too emotional about these things. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Girls sorry to gatecrash your thread, but I just wanted your opinion as heavily-pregnant ladies!

I have a wedding in October which is 10 days before my due date. I would really really like to go, but it is in sligo and I live in Dublin. I’m wondering how you all are able to cope with long car journeys (3-3.5 hours) at this late stage of pregnancy? I seem to have completely forgotten what it was like on my first, which was only in January 2017!

Not so concerned about going into labour as I was induced at a week overdue on number 1, but of course it is also a consideration.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭ainy

I have a wedding in October which is 10 days before my due date. I would really really like to go, but it is in sligo and I live in Dublin. I’m wondering how you all are able to cope with long car journeys (3-3.5 hours) at this late stage of pregnancy? I seem to have completely forgotten what it was like on my first, which was only in January 2017!

Well I have 15 days left, was invited to a wedding which was yesterday, i didnt go. I am so wrecked and my feet tend to swell if I'm standing for any length, I knew I wouldn't be comfortable. I was going to go initially if we could get accommodation in the wedding hotel so that I could just go up and lie down whenever I wanted but we couldn't get a room there so I let himself go on his own. It was one of his friends anyway.

• Advertisement

Girls sorry to gatecrash your thread, but I just wanted your opinion as heavily-pregnant ladies!

Not so concerned about going into labour as I was induced at a week overdue on number 1, but of course it is also a consideration.

Thanks!

I've only 10 days to go and being honest I'd rather chew off my own arm than go to a wedding/face a long car journey. And I'm well in myself overall. If it was local i might consider going but I'd be very nervous of being that far from hospital so close to my due date.

Thanks!

So long as you feel up to it why not. Judge it off your own capabilities. I dont think i was as tired on my 2nd as i am now but having said that im 6 yrs older. In terms of car journeys i think its ok, my trouble now is not wanting to get out to walk lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Thanks girls. I’m still undecided. I had SPD on my last pregnancy and that would have made it a no-go, but I’m (naively?) optimistic that I could avoid it this time.

It’s an awkward one because I have to RSVP within the next couple of months but will still have no idea how I’ll be feeling until much closer to the time. She’s a fairly good friend though and she’s been through a really tough time so I’d love to see her tie the knot. Plus I’ve got quite a few cousins going who I don’t see a lot, and they’re great craic so I don’t wanna miss out on that either!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I had my sister's wedding at 35 weeks on my second.My older child was 19/20 mths at the time.I went but honestly the next day I was in bad shape.I stuck to really low heels and flats. (Would have stayed in flats all day only it was my sister!) Couldn't really enjoy the meal because I had no stomach capacity, didn't dance because well, I was so big and also I was a bit afraid of getting bumped into on the dance floor.I struggled on til midnight and that was it.The next day though physically I wasn't in good shape, I had a lot of cramping,back pain and leg pain.Even though I had sat during as much of the day as I could, my body was still clearly not up for it!!!.I remember lying on the couch for as long as I could praying it would prevent early labour!
    Just take that into account because with ten days to go and a toddler you are nearly lucky to make it to bedtime most days!!(I know I have two but at 36 weeks it is a mighty effort to get through each day-there is a wedding soon, but we won't be going)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Having ended up going in to be induced 2 weeks early after multiple bouts of reduced movements with my second baby I wouldn't be planning anything for that close to the due date tbh.

shesty wrote: »
    I had my sister's wedding at 35 weeks on my second.My older child was 19/20 mths at the time.I went but honestly the next day I was in bad shape.I stuck to really low heels and flats. (Would have stayed in flats all day only it was my sister!) Couldn't really enjoy the meal because I had no stomach capacity, didn't dance because well, I was so big and also I was a bit afraid of getting bumped into on the dance floor.I struggled on til midnight and that was it.The next day though physically I wasn't in good shape, I had a lot of cramping,back pain and leg pain.Even though I had sat during as much of the day as I could, my body was still clearly not up for it!!!.I remember lying on the couch for as long as I could praying it would prevent early labour!
    Just take that into account because with ten days to go and a toddler you are nearly lucky to make it to bedtime most days!!(I know I have two but at 36 weeks it is a mighty effort to get through each day-there is a wedding soon, but we won't be going)

At 35 weeks on my second in 2011, i was caught up in the bad flooding in dublin. Wrote off my car after driving into what was basically a swimming pool in the middle of the street. I was so anxious to get home after being caught in traffic for 3 hrs i failed to notice the taxi sign floating in the middle of the road lol. I can laugh about it now but was scary at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Just took my first raspberry leaf tea this morning. Not quite as horrible as I expected! Not sure if it does any good but worth a try I suppose. Maybe I'm starting too late. Has anyone been taking primrose oil capsules? Might give them a go too...

Hey ladies, had an apt today and am booked in for the gel on fri so finally an end in sight. Feeling ok about it other than it being fri 13th 😂

How is everyone doing

flo09 wrote:
    Hey ladies, had an apt today and am booked in for the gel on fri so finally an end in sight. Feeling ok about it other than it being fri 13th 😂

My daughter was born on a Friday the 13th! And because there was one in this month I kind of had it in my head that this one will arrive on the 13th too but I doubt it!! Glad you have an end point now.

I feel like my bump has dropped again, have my next appointment on Friday where I was going to tell them I would like the section but since making that decision I'm feeling a bit more positive about going myself now though. So who knows.

I havent been doing/taking anything to help things along, apart from sitting on my ball. Hows the raspberry tea going now ruby?

bbudab wrote:

How you doing now bbudab?

• Advertisement

Thanks!

I have spd throughout this pregnancy (had pgp on my first) and I'm currently 37 weeks. There is no way I could sit in a car for 3 hours now. The actual wedding part might not be too bad as long as you could go up to the room and lie down for a while during the day but the long car journey 2 days in a row I think would be very tough.

ainy wrote: »
    My daughter was born on a Friday the 13th! And because there was one in this month I kind of had it in my head that this one will arrive on the 13th too but I doubt it!! Glad you have an end point now.

I feel like my bump has dropped again, have my next appointment on Friday where I was going to tell them I would like the section but since making that decision I'm feeling a bit more positive about going myself now though. So who knows.

I havent been doing/taking anything to help things along, apart from sitting on my ball. Hows the raspberry tea going now ruby?

Yeah its those little coincidences isnt it. Both my daughters were born on a thurs and my sons on a sun so thought i might go myself on thurs which is my due date. I live in hope.

Havent been doing anything to help things along quite the opp. Am crawling into bed at every opp i get. I even park as close to the sch entrance so my kids can see me and come out themselves. Thats how lazy ive been this pregnancy.

Ah hopefully you go yourself if thats what you want. I feel like everything is out of my control and as the day has gone on im getting a bit anxious. Going to make an apt with my gp midwife to discuss things. Feel a bit intimidated by the consultant. Hes been lovely but i am not going private and he took on my case because of the uniqueness of it. Just feel like my pregnancy has been hijacked. Prob being very dramatic but i hate not being in control and having a say.

Ugh, insomnia has me killed! I was awake from 4 until about 6, got back to sleep then and my 3 year old woke at ten to 7. So wrecked!

ainy wrote: »
    Ugh, insomnia has me killed! I was awake from 4 until about 6, got back to sleep then and my 3 year old woke at ten to 7. So wrecked!

Me too. So wrecked today already. Woke at 2.30 and fell asleep just after 4.30 and toddler woke at 5. Got him back to sleep and managed to sleep myself from 5.30-7. Last day of work today fingers crossed they let me go early.

Blingy wrote:
    Me too. So wrecked today already. Woke at 2.30 and fell asleep just after 4.30 and toddler woke at 5. Got him back to sleep and managed to sleep myself from 5.30-7. Last day of work today fingers crossed they let me go early.

Oh no, at least I'm not in work, couldn't do it! Glad its your last day, it gets a bit easier when your not going to work!

Started using raspberry leaf tea here too. And trying to use the gym ball. Feeling good now with 7 days to due date. How is everyone else feeling?

Started using raspberry leaf tea here too. And trying to use the gym ball. Feeling good now with 7 days to due date. How is everyone else feeling?

What does the tea do? I remember buying it on my last but can't remember why!!

Blingy wrote: »
    What does the tea do? I remember buying it on my last but can't remember why!!

Seemingly it's good in general for the female reproductive system and helps tone the uterus so that contractions are more efficient during labour. Some anecdotal evidence that it reduces the need for articical induction/sections/assisted deliveries but nothing concrete. Nothing saying it'll do any harm so the way I look at it is it might be a placebo effect but it also might have real benefits so no harm take it at this stage.

Seemingly it's good in general for the female reproductive system and helps tone the uterus so that contractions are more efficient during labour. Some anecdotal evidence that it reduces the need for articical induction/sections/assisted deliveries but nothing concrete. Nothing saying it'll do any harm so the way I look at it is it might be a placebo effect but it also might have real benefits so no harm take it at this stage.

Thanks history queen. From when should you take it?

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. Will def try that. Still a day to go to avoid induction.

Advertisement