Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayweather vs McGregor - Event Thread **MOD WARNING POST 1- DO NOT IGNORE!!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Those first 3 rounds, Floyd didn't throw a punch....

Cut the bull****.

DINl1EwUMAAOwrF.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Cut the bull****.

DINl1EwUMAAOwrF.jpg

He threw more in the 4th round than he did in the 1st three combined...

He threw more in the 4th round than he did in the 1st three combined...

Did I say he didn't?

I posted it in response to someone say Floyd never threw a single punch in the first three rounds.

Pedantry at it's finest.

Floyd cruised for two rounds to figure out Conor's style and then once he knew the look the came forward, walked him bow and started picking him apart.

People are saying Floyd never threw a punch in the first three rounds and so I post up the actual stats from the fight...... and that's pedantry?? :P

Chief, you don't know what the word means.

• Advertisement

People are saying Floyd never threw a punch in the first three rounds and so I post up the actual stats from the fight...... and that's pedantry?? :P

Chief, you don't know what the word means.

You're applying literal interpretations to causal statements as some way of trying to score ridiculous points.

Floyd wasn't throwing in the first three, that's clear, he threw a total of 28 punches, and almost all of them were just range finding and gauging. He wasn't putting anything into them at all.

In the 4th he came out and started walking Conor down and throwing punches and that was the beginning of the end of fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Necrominus wrote: »
    Well it went sadly as predicted.

But.

Can we all agree. MMA. Boxing. Neutral. All fans united.

Carl Froch is a w$nker

I wasn't even watching $ky, but its a given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Just watched it back now. An argument could be make for Conor winning the first 5 rounds. Although clearly gassed he was competitive in the fifth it could have gone either way. Middle of the 6th he was completely gassed, looked like he was in slowmotion

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭xtal191

snowflaker wrote: »

Nice to see him finally employ a jab to be fair. Just needs to learn how to put a little snap on the end of it in future.

Has to start somewhere though.

You're applying literal interpretations to causal statements as some way of trying to score ridiculous points.

Well people shouldn't make absolute statements about fighters not throwing a single punch then
    Floyd wasn't throwing in the first three, that's clear, he threw a total of 28 punches, and almost all of them were just range finding and gauging. He wasn't putting anything into them at all.

McGregor frustrated him in those early rounds and stopped him getting off many shots. It wasn't all choice. Watch the fight again and you'll see that Floyd tees up many shots by McGregor switches his stance, throws a jab and puts Floyd on the back foot.
    In the 4th he came out and started walking Conor down and throwing punches and that was the beginning of the end of fight.

Yes and McGregor slipped many shots in that 4th and countered too. One of them snapped Floyd's neck back. Didn't hurt him, but shows that Conor was holding his own when it came to boxing skills and but for just not being on par with Floyd when it comes to cardio, there is no reason to think that Conor wouldn't have continued to match him in that regard.

If there is one good thing to come from this farce is that Conors stand up might be even better in MMA after all this training.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

snowflaker wrote: »
    That's confusing. Wouldn't a bet on under 9.5 rounds result in a loss given the fight ended in the 10th?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Pighead wrote: »
    That's confusing. Wouldn't a bet on under 9.5 rounds result in a loss given the fight ended in the 10th?

Under 9.5 rounds means 1m 30s into round 10. (9 rounds + half of round 10)

Mayweather won the fight 1.05 into round 10 so he would have won the bet with 25 seconds left to spare.

He won with 1.55 left in the 10th round, which is 25 seconds before the end of the 9.5th round.

The 10th round had't ended yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Axwell wrote: »

Mayweather won the fight 1.05 into round 10 so he would have won the bet with 25 seconds left to spare.
    Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation.

• Advertisement

Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation.

Ah with those sort of prop bets it's confusing at times.

A football match was 7-1 the other week and I was saying to someone "Jays imagine what you'd have won if you put €20 on them -6" only for someone to have to point out to me that if I put €20 at -6 I would have lost €20...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Autochange wrote: »
    GGG v Canelo in a few weeks will be a good guage of where boxing is at. Should be a belter of a fight

I look forward to the 200+ pages of discussion in the boxing by forum

Tigger wrote: »
    I look forward to the 200+ pages of discussion in the boxing by forum

As neither is Irish I doubt it will have much interest outside of boxing fans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

I believe that's incorrect. Under 9.5 rounds means Within the first 9 rounds and over 9.5 rounds means in the 10th,11th or 12th rounds

Yeah, it's like Total Goals: Under or Over 3.5 Goals really means '3 Goals or Less' or '4 Goals or More'.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I believe that's incorrect. Under 9.5 rounds means Within the first 9 rounds and over 9.5 rounds means in the 10th,11th or 12th rounds

I am 100% correct. You can check the FAQ on Paddy Power or other betting sites and they will say the same thing.

edit: In fact let me save you the hassle - From Paddy Power

For Total Rounds settlement purposes, 1 minute and 30 seconds will represent half a round. For example, for a bet on “Over 10.5 rounds” to be a winner, the fight must last beyond 1 minute and 30 seconds in round 11. If the number of rounds for a fight is changed after this market has been set then all bets on this market will be void.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

I am 100% correct. You can check the FAQ on Paddy Power or other betting sites and they will say the same thing.

edit: In fact let me save you the hassle - From Paddy Power

For Total Rounds settlement purposes, 1 minute and 30 seconds will represent half a round. For example, for a bet on “Over 10.5 rounds” to be a winner, the fight must last beyond 1 minute and 30 seconds in round 11. If the number of rounds for a fight is changed after this market has been set then all bets on this market will be void.

I stand corrected!

Every days a school day - I haven't bet on boxing before so I naively assumed it was the same as other sports such as soccer, GAA , American Football, Basketball . i.e. over /under 95.5 - of course you can't score half a point!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Getting some laugh from work that someone at work who spent the last 2-3 weeks declaring how McGregor "has a chance" and jumping on the hype train now calling him "an embarrassment" who does nothing but "make a show of himself", and it's his fault children swear on the streets. I put it to them that he's earned himself over €100mn in the last 4-5 years, that kids have always sworn, but more importantly that if they had the chance to do the exact same for $120mn (and were capable of holding their own in a competitive fight) that they would, though immediately they answered back that they wouldn't. I asked if they meant they meant wouldn't fight in the UFC, they said that they would do that if they could but just wouldn't act like McGregor, even if it was the difference between €100K and €100mn. Had to laugh my ass off at that one, especially given only two weeks ago they were on and on about how successful and entertaining he was, in and out of the ring/octagon. :pac:

Bit of a random post, and bandwagoners in general are not so bad, but I think this is a prime example of the type of bandwagon fan who irritates MMA and boxing supporters alike. Also seems to have been the type making the most noise about thinking this was ever going to be some kind of close, legit fight apart from those actually selling the event when it was obviously never going to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,121 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

having thought about it more, I think his and his team's ring awareness were shown up.

Maybe it was bravado stopping him, but he could have taken a knee and a couple of counts to catch his breath.

I think he was too respectful of the boxing rules - on a number of occasions, a cheeky punch to the kidneys would have landed when Floyd was turning away, but he was looking to the ref a lot to see what was acceptable. He always knew he would never win a points decision, **** it do what you can while you can. Might have been a different result if he got Floyd to lose his temper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,914 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Too respectful of the boxing rules? Did you see the lumps on the back of Floyd's head?

Advertisement