Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayweather vs McGregor - Event Thread **MOD WARNING POST 1- DO NOT IGNORE!!**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

This kind of obnoxious bollox doesn't mean anything........... it's just playing to the gallery bollox.

If you want to argue that McGregor's cardio didn't play a crucial role in him gassing and then ultimately being able to be easily picked apart, then argue it.............

His lack of boxing skills played a bigger role. When Floyd stepped it up he was picking him off with ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    ......interim example. At least MMA doesn't have 4 champs in the same weight class

UFC, WSOF, ONE FC, Bellator, Cage Warriors... that's 5 world champions for every weight class from 135 to heave weight.
    Jayesdiem wrote: »
    ......interim example. At least MMA doesn't have 4 champs in the same weight class

UFC, WSOF, ONE FC, Bellator, Cage Warriors... that's 5 world champions for every weight class from 135 to heave weight.

As pointed out, you can't unify those titles.

Regardless UFC is the only game in town. Bellator is the Vauxhall Conference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Yep, but you can't hold a Bellator and UFC title at the same time. You can hold a WBO and IBF title at the same time.

And that's because boxers are protected by the Ali act where as MMA athletes are at the mercy of scumbags like Dana White in an industry where the promoter is also the sanctioning body, so the fighters can't even make their own fights or negotiate their own purses.

So it's not exactly something to be proud of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

The fact some lads think McGregor should get any boxing credit for that is laughable.

Froch was harsh yes, harsh but true.

It's his sport, damn right he's gonna defend it.

I've no interest in boxing, love UFC and Conor, but agree with Froch 100%

It was a Grand Canyon gulf of class in there. Conor said a whole lot of things and got absolutely nowhere near delivering on any of them.

Call a spade a spade lads and admit it was a farce and a Floyd exhibition. Conor wasn't even at amateur levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

To deem the fight a success because Conor lasted a certain amount of time against his opponent is laughable.

You were sold a pup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Pretty sad the "boxing" community refusing to acknowledge McGregor's achievements last night.

Thought he did incredibly well, gave Mayweather a hard time at points, had some show-reel counters and combos, won some rounds, all the while against "the best ever" whilst having no pro bouts under his belt.

The same people were the ones saying he wouldn't land a punch, wouldn't get past the 2nd round etc,. Fairly sad tbh.

At the end of the day the gulf of class wasn't evident in the way we were told it would be. Conor gave a good account of himself I felt. He'll learn a lot from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭normanoffside

.ak wrote: »
    Pretty sad the "boxing" community refusing to acknowledge McGregor's achievements last night.

Who are you talking about here?
    Walshb already stated that Conor did very well. I think the same. He showed some decent skills in there. I just don't think he would make it to world level as a pro up against guys his size (154-160lbs).

But he didn't land one punch of note. Not one.

He only won the first 2 rounds cos Floyd let him. Floyd literally did nothing. If he felt in any way threatened he woulda fought back then.

McGregor gets zero boxing credit from me.

Huge amount of financial credit though. This was a cash grab.

We learned absolutely nothing about Conor as a boxer.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,123 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Lt Dan wrote: »
    MMA fans are being disparaged because they vomited out a lot of uneducated drivel in the last 3 months

Oh, don't worry , the old time UFC people are all ready whinging about how titles fights are set up in the UFC. Just as well Conor proved himself, because many of the hardcore people were not happy one bit that he was fast tracked to a title fight so early.

You had Aldo, disgracing himself in 13 seconds, not to mention his pathetic attempt to sell the fight, being offered a chance to win the interim belt despite Conor being the champion of that division. All he had to do was beat another journey man one time champion Edgar , whom he had already beaten. Until recently the doping was an issue that they wanted to hide.Imagine,Aldo had the power to kick testers out of Brazil when they came looking for him
    What is that drivel????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Regardless of skill there seemed to be a difference in fitness. McGregor just didnt have the endurance or stamina to go the distance.

They were right to stop the fight early, there was no coming back for McGregor and letting Mayweather floor him would'nt have been good for anyone not least McGregor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Walshb already stated that Conor did very well. I think the same. He showed some decent skills in there. I just don't think he would make it to world level as a pro up against guys his size (154-160lbs).
    Yeah, going to agree with this. A lot of boxers and boxing coaches said he did very well. I'd take their opinion, as well as Floyd and his team's over theirs anyday.

He only won the first 2 rounds cos Floyd let him. Floyd literally did nothing. If he felt in any way threatened he woulda fought back then.

If you're not a boxing fan, you probably know little about boxing. So, you aren't really in a position to talk about how well Conor did. Watch the fight back. Conor landed at least 5 punches of note which snapped Mayweather's head back. That's not easy to do against the best defensive boxer of all time.

mrkiscool2 wrote: »

If you're not a boxing fan, you probably know little about boxing. So, you aren't really in a position to talk about how well Conor did.

You don't need to be a boxing expert to realise you learned nothing about McGregor as a boxer last night because he didn't in any way threaten one of the best defensive boxers of all time.

It's like saying you can't judge a small football team getting toyed with by Real Madrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

At the end of the day the gulf of class wasn't evident in the way we were told it would be. Conor gave a good account of himself I felt. He'll learn a lot from this.

He had a good first round but the rest wasn't anything to be considered decent. Any professional boxer would have beaten him last night at that weight class.

He was gassed by the of round two. His punches and stance was all over the place in the boxing world.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

I learned a lot. He has no power, no technique, no defense and no stamina. Any spiteful boxer would flatten him and do serious damage.

This was an old Floyd Mayweather with brittle hands, little power and a shadow of the boxer he was and he walked him down even though he was about 15lbs lighter at least and landed at will.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭xtal191

I didn't say everyone. But the majority of posts here are a bitter minefield.

The fight played out like I thought it might, although it went longer than I assumed it would, but that doesn't stop me being impressed with what Conor achieved.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

In reference to money he bet Schuab.

https://twitter.com/ChaelSonnen/status/901758450031509504

Have you seen his timeline?

He called it 7-2 in conor's favour going into the 10th.

He's the world's least subtle heel.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I just saw Chael is following 0 people on twitter, he's a gas man.

• Advertisement

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I just saw Chael is following 0 people on twitter, he's a gas man.

Don't diss the West Linn Gangster.

Did Kellerman accept this bet after his 'Conor won't land a punch' comment?

https://twitter.com/brendanschaub/status/875429014596337664?lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭mada999

did no one else notice that floyed turned his back every time conor got the upper hand so the ref would brake them up and when conor got the lovely body shot and started raining down punishment floyed again turned his back to get the ref to step in and conor kept going cos that was the 16-17 time floyed turned his back on him and the ref separated them long enough so floyed would have time to recover.

This is how Floyd has fought all his career..... it's a surprise that McGregor didnt see this and used it to his advantage to keep his stamina up...

To be honest McGregor should have used the same tactic imo...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

giphy.gif

You're bitter and can't see the "fight" as the farce it was?

Oh ya, and there is no Santa Claus.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Have to say, as dismissive as I was of McGregor going into this, I thought he saved face in the first 2 rounds.

Although, Mayweather had the measure of him from the get go, he had no respect at all for his power, he was just walking at him with the hands up taking everything he had. Of course he landed a few, but he never troubled Mayweather at all.

Mayweather game plan was simple, let Conor blow out and then turn up the wick.

I think it was worth the 25 quid anyway.

Now back to MMA for **** sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭mada999

Asus X540L wrote: »
    Nah nineties Irish rugby was the heyday of moral victories.

still is these days too....

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

Jesus lads a lot of you are being very harsh on Conor here. I thought he put up a solid performance in the opening rounds and i was honestly shocked at the fact that not only did he have a jab, but he has a much better jab than i could have imagined. His distance control with the jab in rounds 1 and 2 was beautiful stuff. Floyd, although not being deterred by it just does what he has done for 21 years and adjusted accordingly. The finest boxing adjustment maker there has ever been in my opinion.

About Conors cardio. Yeah its a problem, but Floyds straight right to the body was what accelerated his downfall dramatically. His entire gameplan after round 2 was to get that shot to the body as often as possible, and he done it with a smile. And that shot (or his standard left jab to the body against an Orthodox fighter) is his absolute bread and butter. World class boxers had no answer for it over the past 2 decades, and a lot of them gassed too. The difference between the ones who survived that kind of drop in cardio was Boxing IQ and the ability to fend Floyd off with meaningful shots after years of doing nothing but boxing to a very high level. Once i seen Floyd smile after taking Conors shots in the opening rounds i knew it was coming - walk him down, drag him to deep waters and drown him and thats exactly what he done.

People who are disappointed drank the kool-aid and thats not an attempt to be a smug f**k over it. The hype got you into believing the left hand could floor Floyd. So naturally a lot of people are disappointed but to be outright critical of his performance for me is an insult to the man.

And this is coming from a Boxing "purist" that i know a lot of you hate! He put up a good effort and was humble in defeat. I've always respected the f**k out of him but after last night it went up another couple of notches.

(Btw, as a fan of Floyd since the late 90s, he is a shell of his former self. I've never seen him miss so many open opportunities when he was teeing off. I'm delighted he's retiring now, and time will serve his career well. One of the all time greats).

Nobody was saying it was a farce middle to the end of Round 3...... fcuking fight thread was littered with comments saying Conor was doing really well. Now after the event everyone is acting like it was obvious he would gas. Like fcuk was it.

• Advertisement

I saw it playing out the way I thought it would; Conor getting gassed and Mayweather forcing the ref to step in.

But I thought McGregor did far better than I or a lot of people expected, it was a good scrap and if you refuse to see any things that McGregor did well then it says a lot more about you than anything else and there'll be no changing your opinion, confirmation bias is just that, so we'll leave it there.

Advertisement