Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayweather vs McGregor - Event Thread **MOD WARNING POST 1- DO NOT IGNORE!!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,123 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

pone2012 wrote: »
    Mayweather had to figure him out as there is no footage available footage of Conor.

Mayweather didn't have to. For a start, there's plenty of footage on McGregor. The fact its not specifically boxing doesn't make it completely ueless.
    Regardess, if he's TBE, he should be able to go in blind and put a guy making his debut away early.

He decided not to because it's the less risky option. That's the simple reason. Silly to play it up as his only option

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

Not unless Floyd is coming in armed

100% this. He wouldnt even get in punching range. Kick to lead leg, push kick to guts, shoot for takedown and choke til head pops or else just chop him down like a sapling. I watch it just cos id like to see floyd get some of his own medicine but for no other reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Don't know how people are seeing four rounds for McGreegor.

Two at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Not unless Floyd is coming in armed with a weapon.

Dont feel the troll :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

Mellor wrote: »
    Mayweather didn't have to. For a start, there's plenty of footage on McGregor. The fact its not specifically boxing doesn't make it completely ueless.
    Regardess, if he's TBE, he should be able to go in blind and put a guy making his debut away early.

He decided not to because it's the less risky option. That's the simple reason. Silly to play it up as his only option

Had mayweather wanted to finish that fight early he could have...the difference in skills was huge... Mcgregor couldn't fase Floyd one bit

It's the only smart option....if you want to include idiotic options then yes..he could have attempted to finish early... But why risk it?

The fact that he didn't does not change the fact that he could have.. He had complete control over that fight from start to finish.. Everything was planned as such

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Had mayweather wanted to finish that fight early he could have...the difference in skills was huge... Mcgregor couldn't fase Floyd one bit

It's the only smart option....if you want to include idiotic options then yes..he could have attempted to finish early... But why risk it?

The fact that he didn't does not change the fact that he could have.. He had complete control over that fight from start to finish.. Everything was planned as such
    Seriously think people should stop talking out of their ass and actually talk about what happened in the fight. Sure, game plan was let him tire himself out, it worked. But he was still competitive up until the 8th round and Floyd wasn't having much success really rocking McGregor.

If he could have finished him earlier, he wouldn't have chosen the gameplan he did. Let him burn off the adrenaline and early steam, knock the rest of the wind out of him with hard body shots (which, McGregor smiled at in the early rounds, people forget that) drag him to deep waters and finish him. It went to plan but if Mayweather could have finished his final fight in style with a 2nd/3rd round TKO, he would have.

By the way, until McGregor was so wrecked he couldn't throw a punch, he was still landing consistently with his jab. A testament to Conor and also showing age caught up with Floyd.

As another poster said, Conor got a huge pay day and to fight one of his hero's. But it was Conor who put himself in the position to do that. Through his brilliance in a different combat sport and his ability to self-market. Also, not many people would have the balls to step into the boxing ring for their first ever proper boxing match. Anyone that begrudes Conor is just sad IMHO.

Lets be clear, Conor did better than expected, he did well at times but was outclassed by a far superior boxer who executed his game plan to perfection. He wasn't troubled perse but some of those shots landed and snapped his head back. Say what you will, but that's not bad considering no professional or coach gave him a hope. And the respect he got from legends of the sport after was well earned.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Seriously think people should stop talking out of their ass and actually talk about what happened in the fight. Sure, game plan was let him tire himself out, it worked. But he was still competitive up until the 8th round and Floyd wasn't having much success really rocking McGregor.

Absolutely and I just watched the fight again and that 4th round was much closer than I remember also. The notion that Floyd could have ended it at any time is complete nonsense. In fact, in the 4th the commentator alongside Paulie at one point points out how hard Floyd is finding it to get off shots. At one point in that 4th round Floyd does get a shot close but Conor slips it and counters with a left that snaps Floyd's neck back.

Here's the fight with the US commentary.Fair bit of nonsense from Paulie at some points mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,912 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Floyd got the win. Closed the show. Did what he had to.

Anyone suggesting it was easy and all planned is talking sh1t..

Conor with real boxing stamina? What happens?

I gave Conor first 3 rds...

When Conor was fit and fresh he won the action..

That is just facts...Would he have won more rds had he the engine? Possibly.

Would Floyd have beaten him regardless? Possibly...

We can only really assess on what we saw..

I saw a competitive Conor winning the first 3 rds. Then gassing and being competitive for several of the next 7. Then really gassing and being stopped.

Fair play, Walshie, that's a fair enough assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Perry12

Just rewatched the fight. I think conor did ok up to the 9th. Floyd was landing more but Conor was getting some shots in and was not being outclassed. His head movement was good and he was connecting albeit without much power.

I think the turning point was after Conor's little flurry in the 9th with the suspect low blow around 2 mins, after that Floyd walked him down and it was game over, Conor was knackered. Good stoppage by the ref cause I think he would've gone down otherwise.

As Jake LaMotta said "You never got me down Ray"

Enjoyable build up and fight

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Mellor wrote: »
    He said winning 5, not winning by 5.
    Guessing he means 5-4 to Conor

Sill wrong, but significantly less so.

No, Chael literally tweeted 7-2 Conor going into the 10th.

Perry12 wrote: »
    Good stoppage by the ref cause I think he would've gone down otherwise.

Yeah, I thought so too.

Seen an interview with Evander Holyfield though saying he felt it was too early.

And of course Paulie is still running his mouth............

https://twitter.com/PaulMalignaggi/status/901821791831654401

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Perry12

Yeah, I thought so too.

Seen an interview with Evander Holyfield though saying he felt it was too early.

And of course Paulie is still running his mouth............

https://twitter.com/PaulMalignaggi/status/901821791831654401

Paulie needs a roundhouse to the face...sap

• Registered Users Posts: 14,764 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Fair fcukin play to ya Conor.
    He went in against one if the best boxers out there and battled like a warrior.
    He lost, big deal. I thoroughly enjoyed the spectacle, well worth watching.

So Floyd, dare to enter Conor's world of MMA!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

mrkiscool2 wrote: »

If he could have finished him earlier, he wouldn't have chosen the gameplan he did. Let him burn off the adrenaline and early steam, knock the rest of the wind out of him with hard body shots (which, McGregor smiled at in the early rounds, people forget that) drag him to deep waters and finish him. It went to plan but if Mayweather could have finished his final fight in style with a 2nd/3rd round TKO, he would have.

By the way, until McGregor was so wrecked he couldn't throw a punch, he was still landing consistently with his jab. A testament to Conor and also showing age caught up with Floyd.

As another poster said, Conor got a huge pay day and to fight one of his hero's. But it was Conor who put himself in the position to do that. Through his brilliance in a different combat sport and his ability to self-market. Also, not many people would have the balls to step into the boxing ring for their first ever proper boxing match. Anyone that begrudes Conor is just sad IMHO.

Lets be clear, Conor did better than expected, he did well at times but was outclassed by a far superior boxer who executed his game plan to perfection. He wasn't troubled perse but some of those shots landed and snapped his head back. Say what you will, but that's not bad considering no professional or coach gave him a hope. And the respect he got from legends of the sport after was well earned.

Listen I have great respect for Mcgregor and I'm delighted he got that payday...but Floyd didn't even put his foot on the gas properly up until round 9..and I still think he was working about 70%.....less before that...he took the easiest victory..he didn't even go into real defensive stuff.. He beat him on pure offense...which is atypical of Mayweather... There was not one moment in that fight where Floyd was in any sort of trouble

He could have went more risky and considering what happened when Floyd turned up, it would have most likely went the same way earlier on..

And I've been saying constantly he needed real coaches for that fight...a bunch of yes men and a BJJ is no way to prepare for TBE

Listen I have great respect for Mcgregor and I'm delighted he got that payday...but Floyd didn't even put his foot on the gas properly up until round 9..

This is just not true!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,753 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mayweather is far better than McGregor in a boxing ring for sure but Conor has serious ko power and a phantom type punch.

If Floyd had went for it earlier he might well have succeeded but he could also have ended up on the canvas and with his first loss.

What makes Floyd the best fighter in history,, imo, is his preparation and intelligence in the ring. The gameplan was smart, everybody knows that McGregor tires quickly so it made sense to be careful and take your time in this fight.
    To state as an outright fact that Floyd would have won early if he wanted to is not only unrealistic but basically insulting to both fighters and their teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote: »

And Sky were quiet enough for rds 1-3. Then Floyd started to look better, not even much better, just better than he was, and Sky went into Floyd overdrive...pr1cks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I'm not sure which channel he was on but Sugar Ray Leonard and whoever he was commentating with were very complimentary of McGregor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I thought Dan Hardy was excellent. Really enjoy his commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 shookie

Panthro wrote: »
    Fair fcukin play to ya Conor.
    He went in against one if the best boxers out there and battled like a warrior.
    He lost, big deal. I thoroughly enjoyed the spectacle, well worth watching.

So Floyd, dare to enter Conor's world of MMA!

In ten years time, Mayweather will still possibly be one of the best boxers ever. Maybe McGregor should fight him then. He'll still be under 40 years of age!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

walshb wrote: »
    Floyd got the win. Closed the show. Did what he had to.

Anyone suggesting it was easy and all planned is talking sh1t..

Conor with real boxing stamina? What happens?

I gave Conor first 3 rds...

When Conor was fit and fresh he won the action..

That is just facts...Would he have won more rds had he the engine? Possibly.

Would Floyd have beaten him regardless? Possibly...

We can only really assess on what we saw..

I saw a competitive Conor winning the first 3 rds. Then gassing and being competitive for several of the next 7. Then really gassing and being stopped.
    Fair play, Walshie, that's a fair enough assessment.

giphy.gif

Hahah, no in all seriousness, fair play walsh, that's an extremely fair assessment and removing all biased inclinations in making it.

That's how I see it too. I had in my head it might get to the 11th or 12th round but with Conor just winning one round, so as a McGregor 'fan' I'm delighted for him.

Makes you wonder if he did have a proper crack at boxing, like go through the proper routes and start at the bottom, could he be a special boxer? I loved the fact he didn't try and be a boxer and just expressed himself in the ring, and that's what everyone wanted to tune in for - to see someone in a karate/martial arts stance take on an orth boxer, and his movement was lovely and effective at times if completely inefficient. The biggest thing was he's unable to transfer power into his shots, unlike in MMA where accuracy can do the job, with the bigger gloves you need to rock the head and bounce the grey matter around the noggin, he couldn't do that... but he could learn.

Anyway, all moot - he's too old to start that now, back to MMA where he still has room to step up, and establish himself as true great.

On the actual event and arena and commentary and build up..was it just me or was it all quite subdued and bland?

The undercard certainly didn't do it any favours..

I just wasn't feeling the buzz of anticipation..

Maybe because I was expecting it to be so one sided...

He did just express himself in the ring, but that was still him being his version of a boxer..and for me he did a fine job...

Very good point about the power, and a point I made. He doesn't have that wow delivery and speed/explosion. His shots are/were more long and laboured.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Embarrassing performance from McGregor. Gassed after 3 rounds, throwing punches like he was tapping a punching bag.

There's no way Conor thought he had a chance of winning that fight based on the skill level shown, so, as expected his pre match predicitions were all a trick to get people to thinking he was going to beat Floyd and part with their money. It worked.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Mallignaggi thing was a set up, to make it look like McGregor had this massive power, that he was thrashing former champions around the ring. Mallignaggis profile was definitely raised after it anyways.

Conor would be delighted with the result, looks like he gave it his all in the fight and runs away with his 100m. I don't blame him for fooling everyone again, I'd do the same.

Where was this power McGregor supposedly had? Looked weak af, that's why Mayweather boxed him around the ring because he knew he could go after McGregor without getting hurt. As Conor said pre fight, Mayweather hasn't knocked anyone out in about 20 years. haha

But next fight McGregor will do the same thing and people will happily believe what he says, part with their money and Conor goes off laughing again. People complain about politicians and elite yet people are voluntarily being fooled by these guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

walshb wrote: »
    On the actual event and arena and commentary and build up..was it just me or was it all quite subdued and bland?

The undercard certainly didn't do it any favours..

I just wasn't feeling the buzz of anticipation..

Maybe because I was expecting it to be so one sided...

Few of my mates were at it, and said the atmosphere was electric, despite the outrageously priced seats.

Didn't notice any subdued atmosphere myself but I watched the fight at a small house party so we had our own atmosphere I guess!

Have to say felt we got our money's worth for the fight, really got to see something interesting and competitive, and when all the emotions and whatnot simmers down I can't wait to see some analysis of both fighters and particularly about what little things McGregor had success with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

darced wrote: »

:D

He was letting Conor tire and working him out at the same time.

Advertisement