Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayweather vs McGregor - Event Thread **MOD WARNING POST 1- DO NOT IGNORE!!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

pone2012 wrote: »
    Had mayweather wanted to finish that fight early he could have...the difference in skills was huge... Mcgregor couldn't fase Floyd one bit

It's the only smart option....if you want to include idiotic options then yes..he could have attempted to finish early... But why risk it?

The fact that he didn't does not change the fact that he could have.. He had complete control over that fight from start to finish.. Everything was planned as such
    If the fight went a few seconds longer, she'd have lost a $130k bet. Finishing in the 10 wasn't remotely the plan.

pone2012 wrote: »
    Had mayweather wanted to finish that fight early he could have...the difference in skills was huge... Mcgregor couldn't fase Floyd one bit

It's the only smart option....if you want to include idiotic options then yes..he could have attempted to finish early... But why risk it?

The fact that he didn't does not change the fact that he could have.. He had complete control over that fight from start to finish.. Everything was planned as such
    If the fight went a few seconds longer, she'd have lost a $130k bet. Finishing in the 10 wasn't remotely the plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Mellor wrote: »

To be fair though, that's like you or I dropping a fiver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Mellor wrote: »
    If the fight went a few seconds longer, she'd have lost a $130k bet.
    I think you and some close family members need to sit down and have a serious discussion with your wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

walshb wrote: »
    Too respectful of the boxing rules? Did you see the lumps on the back of Floyd's head?

Being honest, no.

But you know the point I am making. He was never going to win this fight with Queensbury Rules.

He was not docked one point by way of penalty. He could never win on points so why wasn't the strategy "**** the points, rough him up as much as I can and stop short of being disqualified". He did not do that, hence my view he showed too much respect for boxing rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Is there anywhere to see the full replay with American commentary?

Watched it live on Sky but have no desire to listen to that Froch Knob again.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,750 ✭✭✭✭walshb

everlast75 wrote: »
    Being honest, no.

But you know the point I am making. He was never going to win this fight with Queensbury Rules.

He was not docked one point by way of penalty. He could never win on points so why wasn't the strategy "**** the points, rough him up as much as I can and stop short of being disqualified". He did not do that, hence my view he showed too much respect for boxing rules.

But you need to factor in his tiring and maybe his own choice not to waste more scarceful energy by breaking rules, some that may require amounts of energy. You said roughing up..when you are already breathing heavy, trying to find energy to rough up is not that easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Being honest, no.

I thought he'd push the rules a lot more as well.

A bit more bullying and ragging about in clinches. More visible cheap digs. He dropped hands behind him once, to goad Floyd into a swing at him, for the counter, but he hadn't done enough to antagonise Floyd at that point.

To be fair though, that's like you or I dropping a fiver.
    Pfft, as least a $50 for me, :pac::pac::pac:

He waned to place, 400k. Still a tiny amount overall. But he's obsessed with money. There's no way he tries to makes a bad bet for 6 figures.
    If he was backing under 9.5, he was expecting it to last 6 imo.
    Billy86 wrote: »
    I think you and some close family members need to sit down and have a serious discussion with your wife.

Be grand, we'll talk when she stops winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

backspin. wrote: »
    No way. Conor will run a mile from boxing now I'd say. A relatively weak but highly skilled 40 year old schooled him. A young fresh powerful boxer would knock conor out no problem.

If I remember correctly one of Conor's first comments about Mayweather I overheard straight after the the fight.

'He has no power in his punches....he just has composure'
    :D

It made me laugh.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

If I remember correctly one of Conor's first comments about Mayweather I overheard straight after the the fight.

It made me laugh.

I'd say that's correct. Mayweather is not a power puncher. He has a natural boxer's power, and a sweet hook, but he's not a heavy hitter. When McGregor was gassed I could've gotten in there and floor him I reckon, Mayweather was unloading at will in the 10th and couldn't knock him down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

It made me laugh.

You never got me down, Ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

It made me laugh.

Isn't that what everyone, including boxing fans, are saying?

By composure, I took it as meaning "He ate my shots, and didn't look fazed."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Isn't that what everyone, including boxing fans, are saying?

By composure, I took it as meaning "He ate my shots, and didn't look fazed."

Sorry I didn't clarify it was just the irony of it because Mcgregor had no composure and no craft.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Sherman obviously joking but does anyone think that the ref was in any way unfair towards McGregor in that fight? He let him away with a lot and warned Mayweather plenty too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,544 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ha that was brilliant!!!

I thought the ref was fair, let them both away at it but yeah I remember watching the ref talk and thinking Jesus, Floyd is fighting too ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

McGregor and Kavanagh were saying before the fight that Conor would be coming at Floyd with stuff he had never seen before, as in unconventional punches/movement etc. Obviously regular boxing was never gonna do it.

But I didn't see any of that predicted approach. Did anyone else? Was it all a ruse to get the fight, or sell the fight, or did Conor not utilise it?

McGregor and Kavanagh were saying before the fight that Conor would be coming at Floyd with stuff he had never seen before, as in unconventional punches/movement etc. Obviously regular boxing was never gonna do it.

But I didn't see any of that predicted approach. Did anyone else? Was it all a ruse to get the fight, or sell the fight, or did Conor not utilise it?

Whatever they came up with probably seemed unconventional to Kavanagh because he has no idea about boxing.

The only thing I can think of is the illegal hammerfists to back of head in the clinch. If that was his 'outside the box' shots that were going to KO Floyd then Conor should get himself a new coach.

Watching him talk like boxers were constrained by their conventional approach and he had figured out a 'new approach' to boxing was cringe worthy. Would be like Floyd with zero BJJ experience saying that he had come up with some new submissions that would catch out a black belt because they'd never thought of them.

http://www.the42.ie/john-kavanagh-column-august-2017-3560539-Aug2017/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I have seen a lot of posts online of people saying that Floyd gave the first rounds to Conor to tire him out then take him out in the late rounds and it did indeed seem to play out that way.

My question is - if Conor had've taken the same approach, that is, not chased the KO/thrown many punches in those opening rounds, does anyone think he doesn't get so tired and has a better chance of winning, or at the very least, lasting 12 rounds?

Conor was landing on Mayweather when he was fresh. If Mayweather is playing defense, and Conor is playing defense, does Mayweather come forward, aggressive, as he has his legacy to protect? Does that give Conor a better chance at scoring the KO, as opposed to trying to dismantle Floyd's incredible defensive game?

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I have seen a lot of posts online of people saying that Floyd gave the first rounds to Conor to tire him out then take him out in the late rounds and it did indeed seem to play out that way.

My question is - if Conor had've taken the same approach, that is, not chased the KO/thrown many punches in those opening rounds, does anyone think he doesn't get so tired and has a better chance of winning, or at the very least, lasting 12 rounds?

Conor was landing on Mayweather when he was fresh. If Mayweather is playing defense, and Conor is playing defense, does Mayweather come forward, aggressive, as he has his legacy to protect? Does that give Conor a better chance at scoring the KO, as opposed to trying to dismantle Floyd's incredible defensive game?

It's quite sad to say, but who knows if the novice pro could have gotten the win against the ATG had the novice pro had a solid cardio engine...

I would have to guess that Floyd would have stepped it up, figured out the novice pro, made the adjustments, countered Conor's offence and scored more freely on Conor mid to late rds. Taking a lot less in return.

Conor may have well made the full 12, but maybe not, seeing as Floyd would not have been fighting like he actually did as regards his kind of inaccurate and weak offence (employed it seems due to him not caring about Conor's return fire from rd 6 onwards) I think he would have been landing more thought out, precise and clean shots, that would have hurt Conor and possibly stopped him.

So, Conor is fit as a fiddle throughout, but his offence is what is is. His technique is what it is, his speed and power are what they are....not near good enough for me. Floyd gets the job done via stoppage.

That's my take.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

So its estimated that almost 3,000,000 people streamed this illegally.

I would have actually expected more for an event like this, other really high profile fights, World Cup/CL finals, Superbowls, etc.

Billy86 wrote: »
    I would have actually expected more for an event like this, other really high profile fights, World Cup/CL finals, Superbowls, etc.

I thought it very bland....

It began with the ridiculous forced/contrived pressers. It went downhill from there.

All manufactured hype and fook all substance. It's the world today.

This "biggest fight ever" is absolute crap....in terms of financials and pay to the two men absolutely. I tend to judge things not solely on money or global awareness/appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Conor McGregor figured out a way to get paid huge money and imo he deserves huge plaudits for that.

He has helped UFC too because his fight with Mayweather has increased the awareness of the sport.

In a couple of years I'd expect to hear the top mma fighters talk about how their earnings increased massively because of Conor McGregor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Gintonious wrote: »

I'd imagine that's on the low side...

Anyone know fight night weights?

walshb wrote: »
    I thought it very bland....

It began with the ridiculous forced/contrived pressers. It went downhill from there.

All manufactured hype and fook all substance. It's the world today.

This "biggest fight ever" is absolute crap....in terms of financials and pay to the two men absolutely. I tend to judge things not solely on money or global awareness/appeal.
    Oh it completely was, and that's all it was ever going to be, it was an amateur boxer with explosive athleticism and a lack of a stamina going up against one of the best ever whose main strengths are his technique, ability to not get hit and in ring intelligence.

...which is why I've been getting some laugh from some who are so shocked and offended that it wasn't all-out action for every second, with each fighter going neck-and-neck throughout.

It was never going to be that or even anything resembling that (as one sided as it was, McGregor did even better than I expected - to put my expectations into perspective), it was always going to be a marketing exercise where the 'main event' was more the build up than the fight itself. But hey, it worked and they both made insane money from it as well as each of the their staffs, the promoters, etc. Can't really say I blame them or wouldn't have done the same in their shoes!

Still, for as hyped an event it was and all the buys etc I just expected to see higher dodgy streaming numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Gintonious wrote: »

I'd imagine that's on the low side...

Yeah, I'd guess you could increase that by a factor of ten comfortably.

Advertisement