Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayweather vs McGregor - Event Thread **MOD WARNING POST 1- DO NOT IGNORE!!**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

I don't think he should ever step in a boxing ring again, conor is a great fighter but he is at too much of a disadvantage in these boxing matches.

Plus the floyd match was special, I don't think it would get the same kind of attention if he was to fight Canelo etc.

I think Canelo would KO him easily

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

user2011 wrote: »
    :confused:

I didn't argue it was miss match, Conor put on more of a fight then seasoned boxer's against arguably TBE.

I think he deserves credit for that. You don't want too give it, fcuk it i don't give a fcuk.

I've just enjoyed one of the best nights watching Conor fighting I got my money's worth.

These seasoned boxers didn't fight a 40 yr old ring rusty Mayweather who hadn't thrown a punch in anger in 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Schwiiing wrote: »
    These seasoned boxers didn't fight a 40 yr old ring rusty Mayweather who hadn't thrown a punch in anger in 2 years.

"he isn't a boxer"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Floyd 'Money' Mayweather. Did ye see the money and the cars? One can only imagine.

Deedsie wrote: »
    Fair play to Floyd, his experience and ability shone through from round 3 -10... He pressed McGregor constantly from then, credit to McGregor for staying on his feet for 6 rounds under pressure against one of the greatest boxers ever.

Conors old friend Size Advantage kept him on his feet. Canelo, who is more Conors level in terms of size, would blow his head out of Nevada.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

funny how a week ago floyd was the goat who wasn't going to have a hand landed on him but now hes some decrepit old man! :D

look no denying it he was better tonight and fair play to him but why the rush to move the goalposts now and flip the narrative?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Couple of thoughts:

I can't see past any score that's not 3-6. Official scorecards are a joke.

Bitterly disappointed in McGregor's cardio. I expected him to have cardio for 6-8 rounds and to hang on for a decision loss. It's not like body shots gassed him, he punched himself out. If that's his max output then fair enough but it will be exploited in the UFC.

While he had the cardio some of his head movement was fantastic.

Sky commentary team were an absolute disgrace. We have it so good in MMA with no British feed forced upon us.

Nice to see Mayweather the boxer retire on an aggressive winning style, he owed us. Mayweather the human is a detestable prick.

Depp wrote: »
    funny how a week ago floyd was the goat who wasn't going to have a hand landed on him but now hes some decrepit old man! :D

look no denying it he was better tonight and fair play to him but why the rush to move the goalposts now and flip the narrative?

Some perspective on the lasting 10 rounds that Conors being given credit for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Floyd looked as good tonight as he has in the last 5 years.
    He delivered an absolute clinic and didn't break a sweat. And he got his first stoppage in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭section4

"he isn't a boxer"

no but he got paid a hell of a lot more than a proper boxer would
    thats the sad part about it
    if he had a warm up fight and had lost and fought like he had here and got a million for it i would say fair play to him

but he promised the earth and produced nothing for a around a 100m

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Attendance was 14,623 at T-Mobile Arena. That's not a sellout at this configuration, but there didn't seem to be many empty seats, either.
    Canelo-Chavez drew 20,500 at T-Mobile Arena. Floyd-Conor had 14,623, but the arena was configured for fewer seats tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Floyd looked as good tonight as he has in the last 5 years.
    He delivered an absolute clinic and didn't break a sweat. And he got his first stoppage in a long time.

Exactly, floyd came correct and he gameplanned very well like he always has, all the rot about his age this and could have finished it earlier if he wanted to that from lads is a bit sad

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

McGregor was dead on his feet by round 9. He was staggering, couldn't control himself. It's funny how he is usually the one who doesn't break a sweat and then he's destroyed nearly by that same attitude. Mayweather covered his face for at least the first three rounds. Experience won out in the end.

Exactly, floyd came correct and he gameplanned very well like he always has, all the rot about his age this and could have finished it earlier if he wanted to that from lads is a bit sad

'I owed the fans a show after the Pacquiao fight'

section4 wrote: »
    no but he got paid a hell of a lot more than a proper boxer would
    thats the sad part about it
    if he had a warm up fight and had lost and fought like he had here and got a million for it i would say fair play to him

but he promised the earth and produced nothing for a around a 100m

"produced nothing" subjective. I got my money's worth so I don't give a hoop. I'm happy out.

MMA wins on this, boxing can go crawl into the tar pit with the rest of the dinsours.

"produced nothing" subjective. I got my money's worth so I don't give a hoop. I'm happy out.

MMA wins on this, boxing can go crawl into the tar pit with the rest of the dinsours.

What happens to MMA when McGregor quits? Let's not forget your biggest star is best known for KO'ing from his striking ability. I can't see Damian Maia becoming a mega star trying to cuddle guys to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

I got my moneys worth for €25, it was a bit of craic and bonding time with my Dad. Nothing about it was worth $100 though.

What happens to MMA when McGregor quits? Let's not forget your biggest star is best known for KO'ing from his striking ability. I can't see Damian Maia becoming a mega star trying to cuddle guys to death.

The game plan has been set out by Conor, the rest need to follow it expand it unlike boxing the game plan has been fcuked in the bin and just take the pay check. Boxing I grew up watching it it was always missing something that something I've found in MMA even before Conor, Conor sprinkles that shiny stuff on MMA but MMA is MMA it's exciting in the octagon Conor has brought the excitement outside of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

GGG v Canelo in a few weeks will be a good guage of where boxing is at. Should be a belter of a fight

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Corholio wrote: »
    Was wondering how soon the whole 'wonder how long Floyd would last in MMA' nonsense would begin.

Considering that Conor is mostly a boxer in MMA,Mayweather would only have to work on the leg kicks, or how to avoid them (no easy feat in a few month) and try and avoid the take downs. Conor's "power" has little affect on boxers, and he struggles to do 5 rounds in MMA as it is. His boxing "skills" were exposed in Diaz (very poor bench mark, not like he bothered to move) and here tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭kippy

bajer101 wrote: »
    The yank commentators made a lot of Conor not knowing when to cling and play the game when he was obviously tired. He could easily learn that and make it in pro boxing, but why bother. He's already a much better MMA fighter and that's where the money is.

Why bother?
    The money and the less riskier sport.
    While he wouldn't be able match that purse in any other fights he could line up one or two boxing matches with much higher purses than the relative pennies they get from UFC.

Lt Dan wrote: »
    Considering that Conor is mostly a boxer in MMA,Mayweather would only have to work on the leg kicks, or how to avoid them (no easy feat in a few month) and try and avoid the take downs. Conor's "power" has little affect on boxers, and he struggles to do 5 rounds in MMA as it is. His boxing "skills" were exposed in Diaz (very poor bench mark, not like he bothered to move) and here tonight

:pac:

Can you teach how to take front kicks to the body?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Somehow managed to avoid boards altogether since yesterday evening, and after reading over the last 20 pages or so of this, I'm delighted with myself.

Fair play Conor, did much more than I expected him to do. Can't wait to see him back in the octagon where he's a living legend though.

Glad I payed my 25 euro to watch that, and after enduring Sky's pathetic commentary tonight, I'd pay that tenfold to see Carl Froch step into the cage for just five minutes.

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

The cardio was the only reason for the loss to Nate. He had jumped up 2 weight divisions and assumed that he could fight with the same volume as he did at FW. He probably did not expect that Diaz, who offered SFA, could take the punishment .Tiredness, Nate rocked him, Conor panicked and they tried to rugby tackle him when there was no need and it was not his style, he presented himself like a Christmas present to Nate

One assumes, there is going to be a better class of fighters coming into the UFC soon , they will offer more than just being a human punch bag for Conor (ALvarez was a punch bag,and Diaz the glorified face first defence punch bag) Conor really needs to sort out the cardio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

CmcG was a joke.....i genuinely thought hed be better....but a joke thats all he was a joke...the boxing lads called it early and fair play to them...Conor lasted 10...the way Floyd played with him...I could of lasted 5 at least...never even boxed....Conor looked like the amateur he is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

kippy wrote: »
    Why bother?
    The money and the less riskier sport.
    While he wouldn't be able match that purse in any other fights he could line up one or two boxing matches with much higher purses than the relative pennies they get from UFC.

I would reckon he would be putting himself in an awful lot more danger in boxing than MMA, if the ref had continued to let it go on Floyd could have done serious long term damage to him - as could any boxer when he was so badly on his feet (a lot would do more damage since power and ferocity are not Mayweather's forte). MMA poses less long term* risk in general I would imagine and definitely so in someone like McGregor's place where his conditioning and technique put him in a position much, much better able to defend himself than in boxing.

*I'm talking in the head by the way. I don't feel so bad for an athlete who has hit the peak of their sport and earned good money doing it only to wind up a bit physically messed up (barring the likes of paralysis), having bad knees, hips, back etc is often a trade off for a lengthy career in a physically intense sport. Head injuries however are a whole different thing, the Pritchard Colon stuff is still haunting.

:pac:

Can you teach how to take front kicks to the body?

No , and I doubt you can teach giving them either , within 6 months

It would be the only major problem for Mayweather, he does enough running to avoid being taken down

Punch like tonight, Conor would get no where with serious punching , and sure, he struggles to make 5 Rounds in UFC

I hope he learns how to pace himself, even if the UFC competitors are offering zero defence. Some day he is going to need to go to war against someone who can deal with his boxing better than Diaz did (he was like Bambi on ice slipping over his own blood, I really hope that fight does not happens again, he offers nothing, he looks good because Conor gets tired )

Spin this "moral victory" all ye want be Conor was humiliated by a 40 year old Mayweather. The rubbish that McGregor spouted and the deluded bull that came from the fan boys. Jack of All Trades but a Master of none. Credit to McGregor , he was given a chance, he has enough people fooled that he can leave with his head held high , and he is now extremely rich.

After 2 rounds he ran out of option and out of puff. The "power" is a joke, but UFC lads have to take it seriously because, well..... His punching was tippy tappy stuff on a boxer. At least he showed that he had a chin though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

gitzy16v wrote: »
    CmcG was a joke.....i genuinely thought hed be better....but a joke thats all he was a joke...the boxing lads called it early and fair play to them...Conor lasted 10...the way Floyd played with him...I could of lasted 5 at least...never even boxed....Conor looked like the amateur he is
    What did you even expect? It was one of the greatest fighters of all time whose biggest strengths are probably his technique and conditioning, ability to not get hit, and intelligence in finding opponents weaknesses; his opponent was an amateur boxer. An excellent mixed martial artist, but an amateur boxer.

Was always going to be a circus show from the start, with the money he made in the last few hours I don't hold it against McGregor for a moment - but it was never going to be either close, nor particularly entertaining. Like McIlroy playing Federer at tennis.

You or I would have been KO'd or the fight stopped in no time in there, make no bones about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

gitzy16v wrote: »
    ...the boxing lads called it early and fair play to them..

Would these be the 'boxing lads' that said McGregor wouldn't land a punch?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Would these be the 'boxing lads' that said McGregor wouldn't land a punch?

No...the ones that said Conor was going to be outclassed.

edit:....im sickened BTW...really thought hed be better.....big fcuking letdown.

Advertisement