Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayweather vs McGregor - Event Thread **MOD WARNING POST 1- DO NOT IGNORE!!**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Nobody was saying it was a farce middle to the end of Round 3...... fcuking fight thread was littered with comments saying Conor was doing really well. Now after the event everyone is acting like it was obvious he would gas. Like fcuk was it.

He gassed. He never landed a significant punch. The only 2 rounds he won, were the first 2 in which his opponent didn't fight back....

I'm not sure what you're not getting. It was a mismatch of epic proportions.

.ak wrote: »
    it was a good scrap

It really really wasn't. Not even close. That would have required both fighters to have landed significant punches. Conor did not land ONE of those. Not one.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

He gassed. He never landed a significant punch. The only 2 rounds he won, were the first 2 in which his opponent didn't fight back....

I'm not sure what you're not getting. It was a mismatch of epic proportions.

I had him down as winning the first 3 rounds.

I had him down as winning the first 3 rounds.

The point still stands, even if you gave him the first 7 just from being more active, he never caught Floyd. Not once. The uppercut Floyd rolled with and didn't even flinch from was the closest he got.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

He gassed. He never landed a significant punch. The only 2 rounds he won, were the first 2 in which his opponent didn't fight back...

Floyd didn't fight back in the first three rounds?? :P

Watch the fight again ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,294 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Nobody was saying it was a farce middle to the end of Round 3...... fcuking fight thread was littered with comments saying Conor was doing really well. Now after the event everyone is acting like it was obvious he would gas. Like fcuk was it.

Obvious he would be beaten you mean.

Gassing was his own poor ameteur game plan and preparation.

Starting well means nothing when you run out of steam after a few rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It really really wasn't. Not even close. That would have required both fighters to have landed significant punches. Conor did not land ONE of those. Not one.

The uppercut?

He was either letting Mcg have his moment, or letting him gas out. Either look terrible for mcg.

I'm not sure why I'm debating with the person who claims Conor wasn't out boxed, just copped that now so I'll leave it there Roisin.

Never go full retard.

Mod:No need for personal abuse - take some time off

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Conor did well. Not really well, just well. He survived a long time against a person he had a longshot against. Once he didn't ko him it was going to be stopped. It was always unlikely to go 12 rounds as the mma tank is different in units of time to boxing.

Criticism might seem harsh, but it is inevitable. Conor made wild and obnoxious claims before the fight. Once they are not backed up, criticism will pour down on you.

The reality that's it is mission accomplished for both men in n terms of $$$$$. Unfortunately, Mystic Mac called the stoppage correctly, bu.

I think that his real legacy work begins now with defense of his belt. He will have an even more lethal stand up game now. One thing that this fight may have highlighted is questions around Conor fading if he doesn't get the KO early.

Paully D wrote: »
    The uppercut?

As I said like 3 minutes ago...

The uppercut Floyd rolled with and didn't even flinch from was the closest he got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://twitter.com/BrendanSchaub/status/901679079908286467

While some people in here are going back and forth, I am delighted that no one is getting to this level of stupidity. Schaub needs help.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TheJak01

I was impressed with McGregor on the basis that I was expecting very little from him - he outperformed my expectation. That said, had a boxer put in the exact same performance it would have been put down as a poor performance. Think that's the crux of it for me really, he did well for a guy that has no professional boxing experience but there was a vast gulf in class between the two that needs to be acknowledged too. Ref called it at the right time too, I think any more could have just ended in damage. Even if McGregor wasn't properly hurt, he was taking shots and not protecting himself adequately so end it before things get nasty.

As for Floyd, he came out and was very composed. No less than you'd expect from the man. That said, he's not the fighter he once was either. Retirement coming at the right time, and I think he's probably quite pleased he's gone out on a big pay day against a fighter that didn't pose him too much issue. Would he be as dominant as he was 5 years ago against other top pro boxers, I doubt it.

All in all, not unhappy I woke up for it. It was entertaining for a bit, even if the fight was the expected mismatch that had little to do with the massively hyped build up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

He threw SIX punches in the first round. How do you not get this?!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Think Floyd does him inside the Octagon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Froshtbit

I prefer to watch MMA over boxing.
    THis fight confirms that this was the right choice. It was a good fight but how is turning your back, showing your opponent the top of your head to force him to throw illegal strikes and clinchng your opponent to force the ref to step in considered a valid defence?

It was frustrating to watch. Can points be lost for gaming the system like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

He threw SIX punches in the first round. How do you not get this?!

He was frustrated into throwing so few punches by the way McGregor fought. He was clearly teeing up on shots he didn't GET to throw. When he did get an opening, he always took it. He MISSED with shots in those rounds which Conor countered also.

Here's a comment from you during that time period:
    Have to say though, brilliant performance so far from McGregor and his jab has been fantastic up to now.

The lack of credit Conor is getting for how he preformed is laughable but sure at least you gave it to him during the fight, that's something at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Agree.When it comes down to it Mayweather has backed up all his talk over the years whereas McGregor now has 4 defeats in 25 fights as a professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Agree.When it comes down to it Mayweather has backed up all his talk over the years whereas McGregor now has 4 defeats in 25 fights as a professional.

Conor finishes him within 2 minutes in an MMA fight.

He was frustrated into throwing so few punches by the way McGregor fought. He was clearly teeing up on shots he didn't GET to throw. When he did get an opening, he always took it. He MISSED with shots in those rounds which Conor countered also.

Here's a comment from you during that time period:

The lack of credit Conor is getting for how he preformed is laughable but sure at least you gave it to him during the fight, that's something at least.

I've said on multiple occasions that he deserves give credit. He definitely exceeded my expectations and I believe he can be proud of himself. That does not mean that he did "well" in an absolute sense. Floyd did what he always does - sussed him out and then went to work. He was never in any danger, nor was there ever a hint of an upset being on the cards. You say Floyd didn't throw because McGregor confounded and frustrated him preventing him from throwing his shots. That is out-boxing someone. Are you seriously implying that McGregor outboxed him for the first third of the fight? You, who has said Mayweather didn't outbox him?! You are delusional.

This is ridiculous. Anything less than verbally fellating McGregor over his performance in a fight in which he was comfortably beaten and the usual suspects are coming out with the usual tripe. People who called a Mayweather win being accused of being salty or haters or begrudgers simply because that's exactly what happened. Moaning about McGregor not getting credit when pretty much everyone is saying they thought he did better than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

My take on last night, if anyone is interested. I'll preface by saying I'm a boxing novice, and casual MMA fan. Went for dinner with the plan to be back early, maybe a snooze, and watch it, but ended up on a session, and fell in the door.

The Davies fight. Only started watching just after the rounds where he showboated, and saw the stoppage. Didn't like it, even though the other guy milked the punch to the back of the head, but what really put me off was when he was on the way down, the was a bit of a chop to the back of the head as well. Glad he got booed.

Imelda May. I'm not one for blind nationalism, but I enjoyed her singing. It wasn't perfect, but she sang with feeling. A Dublin woman, singing her heart out. Won't be ashamed to say there was a tear in my eye. My hopes were high.

Demi Lovato. She's got pipes, I'll give her that. Technically and rangewise, head and shoulders over May, but didn't seem to be passion in it. And it looked like she wasn't happy with the reaction (or lack of) in the Arena.

The walkins. Only caught a bit of the start of Conors, but had to piss, so missed both. Floyd's Ra mask was classless.

Main event. Right, let's have some. And then it went the way I really didn't want it to go. He threw everything into those first rounds. And Floyd just let him. Whether it was feeling him out, letting Conor tire himself out, or letting Conor and the world think he had a chance, Floyd took what Conor had, and wasn't fazed. When I saw the ice packs at the end of the second, I knew he didn't have it in him.

By the end of the third, Floyd haven't even started.

You could see by the 8th, Floyd pushed, wanting the knockout. Would make a nice highlight, knocking out the upstart that dared have a go, and was outclassed. Especially when they fell into Conors corner, at the end of the 9th (I think) where the camera was. Beat him down, in his own corner, and Conor had nothing to give, but eat punches.

And he ate them.

Stoppage was right, it was time.

When Conor went to Floyd after the stoppage, heard him say with a humble laugh, "at least I'm still standing" For all the bravado, and hype, he was a young Dublin lad, that was delighted to get into the ring, and have a knock with one of his hero's. Outboxed, outclassed, and out of his depth, but he just survived taking digs from someone that he had no business being in the ring with and could still have a laugh.

Haven't seen any of the post fight, the dream was over, and I'm too hungover, and I'll just get a bit emotional.

Nonsense fight, farce, call it what you want, I enjoyed it. I'm not a big sports person, and rarely give that much of a ****, and logic always said it was Floyd's to take. But when 2 lads get in a ring, there's always a chance an upset could happen.

There's no moral victory. Conor lost. Game didn't work out the way he hoped, and was decisively beaten. He didn't listen to Roddy in the corner, his cardio couldn't hack it, he didn't have what it took. He got a couple of good digs in, but couldn't get what he wanted.

I'm still a fan, and can't wait to see him back fighting in MMA. Hopefully he'll focus more, address his obvious cardio issues, and move forward as a fighter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,117 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Have you seen his timeline?

He called it 7-2 in conor's favour going into the 10th.

He's the world's least subtle heel.
    He said winning 5, not winning by 5.
    Guessing he means 5-4 to Conor

Sill wrong, but significantly less so.

Floyd's Ra mask was classless

Did you not hear? Banging on about the Ra from a position of clueless ignorance is great craic. Everyone does it sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭2016

My 2c as someone practicing and coaching MA/MMA for many years, and done some boxing, well retired now:

Stayed away from this discussion on Boards, I'm not reading this thread either, but looking now I can't believe 38% seriously thought Conor was going to win by KO-TKO.

Any MMA fan who thought Conor had a good chance (i) doesn't understand boxing and (ii) doesn't understand MMA.

I presume the 38% are the relatively new phenomena, for Ireland, of MMA fans who never seriously trained in either or both sports? Not intending to put anyone down by that remark, just saying that there is a reality out there...alternatively this was hoping against hope, supporting the local boy, in which case fair enough,

Conor had the very small chance you have when any decent puncher goes into the ring, especially given a big size advantage. If this fight happened 100 times, Conor wins maybe once or twice by catching Mayweather just right.

I didn't particularly want Conor to win, not really a fan of his (Mayweather either), I thought this was an interesting event, not a serious contest.

Conor did well, surpassed my expectations, did as well as could reasonably be expected.

Mayweather had a great game plan, let Conor punch himself out (fatigued by round 4!), then go to work. Good for Conor to win the first 2-3 rounds, but really that was a function of Mayweather's game plan than anything else.

But don't let the fact that McGregor lasted the 10 rounds fool anyone, that was also a function of Mayweather's plan and McGregor would struggle against all the top ranked guys. People should understand this is not doing Conor down, boxing is just a different sport.

Similarly, Mayweather would be destroyed (and far quicker) in the Octagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Felt more like a WWE bout than a boxing fight tbh. Mayweather was playing with him from the first round.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,971 ✭✭✭threeball

Thought he did well while he had energy but his lack of cardio is a big concern at this stage if he plans to go back to mma and take on the likes of ferguson and nurmy. Its not a given he'll get those guys out of there in 1 to 2 rounds and if he doesnt hes in bother. He's either not working that hard on his cardio as he has no one to challenge him for not really pushing or else he has a huge adrenaline dump before a fight. Either way it needs to be addressed.

It was a weird tactical decision to attack Mayweather peppering his arms and elbows in the first 3 rounds if the plan was to go the distance. I think he fell between two stools. He should have either gone out on his sword and absolutely pummell Mayweather is rounds 1 and 2 or else he shouldn't have thrown a punch unless it was a counter punch, conserve his energy and explode in the later rounds.

His head movement was pretty good and he slipped alot of punches but his combination of cardio and gameplan saw him fall short of either giving floyd a good pasting for 2 to 3 rounds or trying to survive for 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

I honestly don't get people thinking Mcgregor dominated the first two rounds....Mayweather had to figure him out as there is no footage available footage of Conor..he landed nothing that looked very significant bar one good uppercut which didn't seem to phase Floyd one bit

He observed, adapted and dominated..as expected from TBE ( which is literally true as of last night)

Would like to see Diaz 3 now.. I'd be willing to travel for that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

threeball wrote: »
    It was a weird tactical decision to attack Mayweather peppering his arms and elbows in the first 3 rounds if the plan was to go the distance. I think he fell between two stools. He should have either gone out on his sword and absolutely pummell Mayweather is rounds 1 and 2 or else he shouldn't have thrown a punch unless it was a counter punch, conserve his energy and explode in the later rounds.

I think he still would have lost either way, but yeah that would have been a better plan. I honestly thought he would be more aggressive. At least Floyd was humble afterwards. I never liked his antics outside the ring but I have garnered a lot more respect for him in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,056 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    By Mayweather's admission, he thought it would be over by the 6th....so clearly not playing with him as people think he was.

Not what Floyd said.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,971 ✭✭✭threeball

I think he still would have lost either way, but yeah that would have been a better plan. I honestly thought he would be more aggressive. At least Floyd was humble afterwards. I never liked his antics outside the ring but I have garnered a lot more respect for him in the last few years.

Totally agree he would have lost, I just think people would have been more satisfied to see him gas having given it a right go or else make it all the way to twelve.
    Floyd is masterful but all the the other stuff does taint everything he has achieved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,329 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Not unless Floyd is coming in armed with a weapon.

Advertisement