Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayweather vs McGregor - Event Thread **MOD WARNING POST 1- DO NOT IGNORE!!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,912 ✭✭✭✭walshb

bur wrote: »
    :D

He was letting Conor tire and working him out at the same time.

Maybe...

And when Conor was not tired it was Floyd's plan to look ineffective on offence, was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

The undercard was extremely bad. Was too tired and pissed off by the time the main event came around. Will watch it again without thst context tomorrow I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

walshb wrote: »
    This is just not true!

Come off it walshb, its absolutely true, Floyd walked forward and wailed on him in increasing increments from rounds 2 upwards until the referee had to step in...he spent the former testing his power and skill...like hes done so many times before..

He was playing patty-cake with McGregors face by round ten

And we did not even get to see half of Floyds skillset, where was all the check-hooks, shoulder rolls and other defensive masterclasses that we usually see when hes fighting?? He didnt even need to implement them to any measurable degree, because he weathered two rounds where there was a mixture of shots that he either took the power out of, glanced, or took on the elbows, and the ones that did connect didnt fase him one bit...and then marched forward...He had zero respect for Conors "power"

That was easy work for Mayweather imo....observe, implement, dominate...in that fashion...He didnt even break a sweat

And fyi, I'm delighted for Conor, huge boost for his PR, reputation and future negotiations in the fight game...He gave it a crack, but he is no boxer, and ive been saying that since this fight was announced...people who think Conor has "bombs" that transfer to boxing need to take a good hard look at what the likes of GGG, Canelo and and Mosley are capable of, and then realise that in MMA they might be strong, but in boxing they are the least thats expected...Seriously now Gervonte Davis stopped that last fight with a damn body shot..that's raw power

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Maybe...

And when Conor was not tired it was Floyd's plan to look ineffective on offence, was it?

Careful, you'll hurt yourself playing mental gymnastics like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

bur wrote: »
    :D

He was letting Conor tire and working him out at the same time.

This is a little silly, and I don't mean to single you out but a lot of people have been repeating what Mayweather said post-fight. I know that's what Mayweather said but you don't have to believe him.

If Mayweather was trying to walk him down in the first few rounds he'd have a point. Not a chance Mayweather wanted to eat shots in the first few rounds when he didn't know the boxer's potential power, he can make Conor just as tired by forcing him to miss/hit the guard, he didn't have to use his HEAD as a boxing bag for Conor.

For me that's all to convenient for Mayweather to say, for me he was soundly beaten in the first few rounds because of Conor, not because Floyd wanted to eat shots.

I'm sure the game plan was to get him to tire himself out, especially as Conor publicly announced he wanted to run out of the traps at him, but the clean shots Conor were landing was not part of the game plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Sky Sports commentary so biased. Completely no-selling punches Conor lands.

Couldn't agree more. Absolute pr1cks.

I watched it back today and it was like they were banned from mentioning Conor's name. Even Dan Hardy!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 shookie

.ak wrote: »
    This is a little silly, and I don't mean to single you out but a lot of people have been repeating what Mayweather said post-fight. I know that's what Mayweather said but you don't have to believe him.

If Mayweather was trying to walk him down in the first few rounds he'd have a point. Not a chance Mayweather wanted to eat shots in the first few rounds when he didn't know the boxer's potential power, he can make Conor just as tired by forcing him to miss/hit the guard, he didn't have to use his HEAD as a boxing bag for Conor.

For me that's all to convenient for Mayweather to say, for me he was soundly beaten in the first few rounds because of Conor, not because Floyd wanted to eat shots.

I'm sure the game plan was to get him to tire himself out, especially as Conor publicly announced he wanted to run out of the traps at him, but the clean shots Conor were landing was not part of the game plan.

Conor had some clean shoots alright, but with little power. Mayweather was never hurt once in that bout.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Couldn't agree more. Absolute pr1cks.

I watched it back today and it was like they were banned from mentioning Conor's name. Even Dan Hardy!

No point landing punches if there's no power in them. Conor wouldn't punch through a paper bag last night.

Pussyhands wrote: »
    No point landing punches if there's no power in them. Conor wouldn't punch through a paper bag last night.

Agreed, It looked like his punches were for the arm only. He didn't look like he was body weight behind his punch. That can be fixed though. Although, there are points in landing punches without power.

• Advertisement

Although I fully agreed with the stoppage I must say that I loved Conor's disagreement/protestation to it. Very measured, thoughtful and subtle. No moaning-whingey/sour grapes vibe off it..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Pity Conors talking couldn't back up his boxing. He ridiculed mayweather pre fight and gave the man no respect. Mayweather left his boxing do the talking. Like one of mayweathers coach's said to mcgregor " you are going to find out too buddy how good a boxer mayweather is" mayweather schooled him around the ring. His arrogance and cockiness can stop now. Mcgregor predicted a KO in round 4 utter nonsense.

Although I fully agreed with the stoppage I must say that I loved Conor's disagreement/protestation to it. Very measured, thoughtful and subtle. No moaning-whingey/sour grapes vibe off it..

Why would there be? Conor got exactly what he wanted from the fight, money.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pinkman

Does anyone have the Showtime scorecard? I heard they scored it 5-4 with McGregor winning the first 3 and 8th. Can't find it online though.

Why would there be? Conor got exactly what he wanted from the fight, money.

Because a lot of boxers can make excuses and come across as whiney and sore losery..

Anyway, I picked up on it. It stood out to me how he argued his case for being let go on. Came across very fair and diplomatic and genuine.

Because a lot of boxers can make excuses and come across as whiney and sore losery..

Anyway, I picked up on it. It stood out to me how he argued his case for being let go on. Came acrosdvvery fair and diplomatic and genuine.

McGregor isn't a boxer.

He knew he had no chance of winning that fight, the fact he got to say he lasted 10 rounds is a huge bonus to him.

This was an exhibition.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭mada999

pone2012 wrote: »
    Listen I have great respect for Mcgregor and I'm delighted he got that payday...but Floyd didn't even put his foot on the gas properly up until round 9..and I still think he was working about 70%.....less before that...he took the easiest victory..he didn't even go into real defensive stuff.. He beat him on pure offense...which is atypical of Mayweather... There was not one moment in that fight where Floyd was in any sort of trouble

thats mental.... if Floyd was in no trouble at all why did he turn his back 10s of times. eh if that is not defensive i don't know what is... he only stopped that when McGregor was out on his feet....

mada999 wrote: »
    thats mental.... if Floyd was in no trouble at all why did he turn his back 10s of times. eh if that is not defensive i don't know what is... he only stopped that when McGregor was out on his feet....

Floyd was in no trouble, doesn't mean he's not going to be sure he doesn't get caught out by the slightest chance.

McGregor isn't a boxer.

He knew he had no chance of winning that fight, the fact he got to say he lasted 10 rounds is a huge bonus to him.

This was an exhibition.

I didn't say he was a boxer..

Floyd was in no trouble, doesn't mean he's not going to be sure he doesn't get caught out by the slightest chance.

mmm...either he turned his back to evade eating shots or turned his back for a rest.

i actually thought that you couldn't turn your back on an opponent or duck your head below your opponents waist? i thought these were boxing rules

I wonder how many times Floyd broke these rules ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

darced wrote: »

how did he always get away with it ?

how did he always get away with it ?

Same way he gets OTT praise for not getting hit all that much even when all he is doing is moving away or holding/fouling..

He has always been fawned over to ridiculous levels..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Pinkman wrote: »
    Does anyone have the Showtime scorecard? I heard they scored it 5-4 with McGregor winning the first 3 and 8th. Can't find it online though.

They did. Watched it live and a second time this afternoon. Steve Farhood is their scoring guy.

mmm...either he turned his back to evade eating shots or turned his back for a rest.

i actually thought that you couldn't turn your back on an opponent or duck your head below your opponents waist? i thought these were boxing rules

I wonder how many times Floyd broke these rules ?

He didn't look the guy who needed a rest! In fact, at the end McGregor looked like the 40 year old.

shookie wrote: »
    He didn't look the guy who needed a rest! In fact, at the end McGregor looked like the 40 year old.

why did he do it so often ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Whatever about Conor being a boxer, it doesn't take away from the fact that he's still an unknown, an enigma within the boxing ring. Those first 3 rounds, Floyd didn't throw a punch, he let Conor gas himself out, come the 4th round it was a different fight and Mayweather realised that going on the front foot and standing in the pocket was the way to win.

I am delighted Conor went 10 rounds, its a testament to the mans drive and determination that he can do that against possibly the greatest boxer there has been thus far.

However, it was plain to see that come the 9th round Conor was out on his feet, at this point he's into 27 minutes on the clock, he's only ever gone 25. Mayweather, 24 months off, is still used to LONG fights going distances against better boxers that hit harder than Conor and work him more.

At the end of the fight it looked like Mayweather hadn't broken a sweat and could have gone another 10 rounds.

Conor worked the Jab well, but with the exception of that uppercut in the 1st round I don't think he hurt Mayweather once. He had a plan, to go guns blazing for 3 rounds and shell up if that didn't work and try and frustrate Mayweather.

The plan to a degree worked, he just came up against a fighter who is supremely intelligent and can adapt to any situation.

My 2 cents, from a guy who knows not much about boxing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Floyd was blessed that he had Conor as an option for his last fight

I'm sure if Conor wasn't around he would of been lured out of retirement for that 50-0 and one last payday against a big name in boxing. The ending would of been a lot different though.

On Gervonta . How weird was that performance ? And his mental state didn't seem great. His head was all over the place

And lastly Badou Jack . A perfect performance really . Opens up a few great fights in that division .

Please, people. Stop spouting BS..in the first 3 rds (9 minutes) the "Floyd didn't throw a punch" line, even not taking it literally, is complete bollix!

Just discuss and debate openly and fairly and honestly. This making up your own crap to suit your side reeks of desperation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Floyd was blessed that he had Conor as an option for his last fight

I'm sure if Conor wasn't around he would of been lured out of retirement for that 50-0 and one last payday against a big name in boxing. The ending would of been a lot different though.

On Gervonta . How weird was that performance ? And his mental state didn't seem great. His head was all over the place

And lastly Badou Jack . A perfect performance really . Opens up a few great fights in that division .

Sorry wrong forum :(

Advertisement