Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayweather vs McGregor - Event Thread **MOD WARNING POST 1- DO NOT IGNORE!!**

Options
1303132333436»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Was intrigued by the bout and it was a decent watch, think most has been said bit of mystic hinted that fizzed away after 3 rounds, made Floyd have his most entertaining bout in years so in turn he picked up more hits he wouldn't have against an elite boxer.

Conor's boxing was horrendous though sure he won rounds but never threatened Floyd, didn't generate any powerful punch of note aside from that uppercut. I personally have no desire to see Conor in a boxing business transaction again it's not his game and he needs to be sat down and told.

I watched the card from prelim stage first time since last year sometime with a boxing card, found myself tuning out of rounds and everything sorry lads just bloody boring wasn't till Cleverly/Jack was I engrossed a bit more so boxing definitely falls down in that department but I suppose it's bound to be that way especially with showtime and the money team joined at the hip, apart from how the bouts played out a relatively known Irish boxer midway through the event to maybe have supporters roll in earlier might have built better atmosphere?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I know everyone is sick of hearing abut Paulie but this tweet has to be his most idiotic of his to date, and that's saying something:

https://twitter.com/PaulMalignaggi/status/902274002529296384

Anyway, for those that were looking for the fight with Paulie's commentary:

Another one here too but quality not so great.

What I found interesting on second viewing/listening to the fight which this commentary team was how many remarks they made about McGregor frustrating Floyd during rounds 1 to 4 and even Paulie a couple of times talks about how he feels Floyd is showing reluctance coming forward because of the counter punching McGregor had being showing up to that point. Which of course flies in that face of what he has said since the fight, especially on the MMA Hour

Not sure who the other two guys are on the panel are but they're better than the Sky Sports commentary team anyway that's for sure.

Andy Lee saying Conor didn't have his gloves laced up properly.

https://www.balls.ie/newsnow/andy-lee-conor-mcgregor-gloves-372324

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

Full interview for anyone interested

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

Another angle of the fight

• Registered Users Posts: 54,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Brilliant video. I have seen several fights like this, where cameras from within the audience record it and it's so much clearer that the actual live feed on the tv.

2 mins 30 he delivers the uppercut. Faster than I thought. He got the speed into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Be great if we had commentary as an optional on fights. Watched a fight on sky one time and something must have went wrong. No commentary for 2 or 3 rounds. Great experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

xtal191 wrote: »
    Another angle of the fight

Yeah, really good, you get a much better appreciation of what's going on here..

First thing for me is this, Conor was definitely nervous about eating a big counter from Floyd. That was obviously game plan, get in, land, get out. In the first round he's literally landing big body jabs and jumping back to the centre of the ring. That's gotta be energy sapping even if you don't realise it.

Something tells me if Conor wanted to, he could've walked him down in the first 2 and done some serious damage, I don't think Floyd had the power to hurt Conor but he may have embarrassed him with some big hooks and counters, but in the long run I think Conor would've been best served eating a few and marching him down, using his size and maybe get under his skin a bit. Floyd never really looked bothered until the 3rd when he started catching some lovely counters from Conor. Round 1 and 3 were Conor's best imo. At times he looked like the guy doing the schooling.

Really makes you wonder what could've been had his conditioning lasted. Floyd doesn't do anything special in the fight, some nice jabs tho and some really good wide foot work, also he makes Conor work a lot by moving him off the centre of the ring a good bit by allowing clinches and then moving around to end up facing Conor down.

Had Conor not gassed and done the 12 rounds I don't think he would've beaten him but I think he could've caused him trouble in the later rounds - perhaps forcing Floyd to come out swinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

.ak wrote: »
    Yeah, really good, you get a much better appreciation of what's going on here..

First thing for me is this, Conor was definitely nervous about eating a big counter from Floyd. That was obviously game plan, get in, land, get out. In the first round he's literally landing big body jabs and jumping back to the centre of the ring. That's gotta be energy sapping even if you don't realise it.

Something tells me if Conor wanted to, he could've walked him down in the first 2 and done some serious damage, I don't think Floyd had the power to hurt Conor but he may have embarrassed him with some big hooks and counters, but in the long run I think Conor would've been best served eating a few and marching him down, using his size and maybe get under his skin a bit. Floyd never really looked bothered until the 3rd when he started catching some lovely counters from Conor. Round 1 and 3 were Conor's best imo. At times he looked like the guy doing the schooling.

Really makes you wonder what could've been had his conditioning lasted. Floyd doesn't do anything special in the fight, some nice jabs tho and some really good wide foot work, also he makes Conor work a lot by moving him off the centre of the ring a good bit by allowing clinches and then moving around to end up facing Conor down.

Had Conor not gassed and done the 12 rounds I don't think he would've beaten him but I think he could've caused him trouble in the later rounds - perhaps forcing Floyd to come out swinging.

That angle really shows how weak Conors punches get in the later rounds, they're so weak he may as well not even throw them. He throws a couple floyd just walks through them then Floyd throws one you can tell Conor felt it and jumps back a bit. He really needs to work on how he throws punches. I know he said before that you don't need to clench your fist or something to throw a powerful punch but when your in close range like that you have to do that to throw something short sharp and powerful. Could be his own ideas on how to throw a punch making them so weak. I don't understand how he could let floyd do the same thing for 5 rounds straight and not earn his respect once. You would think he'd make some adjustment and get floyds respect again but it was same thing over and over until the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I have to say I loved that video!

I think Conor's cardio is not so bad from that viewing. I remember thinking on the night that he was gassed from the 4th because of how he looked up at the clock halfway through the round but he seems to hold form and body posture up until the 9th from 2nd viewing. It is however noticeable from the 5th/6th that his punches are becoming more and more 'arm shots' and thus ineffective. It's also noticeable that he seems to waste energy with ineffective shots in the first 30-40 seconds of most rounds.

The big change in the 9th comes after a series of hard blows to the head so it looks to me that the final weariness is actually the result of damage although Conor does show a good chin, the punches seem to drain the energy from him.

Perhaps his cardio overall is not as bad as I initially thought.

I have to say I loved that video!

I think Conor's cardio is not so bad from that viewing. I remember thinking on the night that he was gassed from the 4th because of how he looked up at the clock halfway through the round but he seems to hold form and body posture up until the 9th from 2nd viewing. It is however noticeable from the 5th/6th that his punches are becoming more and more 'arm shots' and thus ineffective. It's also noticeable that he seems to waste energy with ineffective shots in the first 30-40 seconds of most rounds.

The big change in the 9th comes after a series of hard blows to the head so it looks to me that the final weariness is actually the result of damage although Conor does show a good chin, the punches seem to drain the energy from him.

Perhaps his cardio overall is not as bad as I initially thought.

Nah for me the video actually shows his tiredness from the end of round 3. Look at his feet, no longer is he on the balls of his feet but he's planted on his heels, and he can't switch stances like he was before.

I think he was just a bit nervy, and didn't commit to his punches because of fear of a counter. It's a pity, I think he could've walked him down if he put a decent salvo on him early on instead of dipping in and out and wasting energy with stance switches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Why did mcgregor choose to use only an uppercut counter to mayweathers leaping right hand 5 times in the first 2 rounds instead of a left which he used very successfully against diaz and of course aldo. Could have ended the show here in round 1... he landed an uppercut just after this picture but hit mayweathers chest instead of chin. He was stubborn on the uppercut in Diaz 1 also and got him in trouble eventually.

pPgLr9S.png

Easy to freeze a frame and go 'Why didn't this guy do this and this exact second?'

No human brain works like that, that's why in boxing you refer to 'timing', as in you have to predict movement and time your shots, you don't react as it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Fight being repeated on Sky Sports Main Event now

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

McGregor's gear bag and cup were forgotten. The bag carriers might be in danger of losing their job! :pac:

On a serious note, this is a fantastic episode. Really cool seeing the reactions of friends and family on both sides as the rounds progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Paully D wrote: »
    McGregor's gear bag and cup were forgotten.

His Granddad's cap :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Paully D wrote: »
    McGregor's gear bag and cup were forgotten.
    So. Many. Weigh. In. Jokes.

UFC-194-Mcgregor-600x398.jpg

Advertisement