Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayweather vs McGregor - Event Thread **MOD WARNING POST 1- DO NOT IGNORE!!**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Judges had it 89-82.

Interestingly enough, 2 of them gave Floyd 2 of the first 3 rounds.

Conor landed 111 punches. The over/under was 29.5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Showtime trying to sell that as a legitimate fight...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Piss poor fight.

Fouls from both sides throughout. Hammers from Conor and a few elbows from Floyd.

But let's be real, Floyd had him figured out in Round 1. Let him punch himself out throwing jabs and inaccurate power shots off Floyds gloves and shoulders. Floyd was bouncing straight rights off McGregor at will at the end because hadn't the puff to even lift his arms. Only a decent size difference stopped Floyd knocking him down.

49.5 - 0 for Mayweather

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Man against a boy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

McGregor fronting a bit there saying he wasn't hurt. He was out of it right after it was stopped and there was no need to take any more shots, the fight was over.

Didnt look hurt to me. Completely exhausted alright though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Ah Wonder... Just admit you were very very wrong.

Now let's get to GGG Canelo!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I hate 'moral victories' in a big event like this. That's like a line that's written before the fight started regardless of what actually happens in it. Floyd was class from about 4 onwards, which is pure Floyd territory. Floyd was coasting at times after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Paully D wrote: »
    McGregor went 10 rounds with the best boxer ever (arguably) in his first boxing fight.

I love how those saying he had no chance and would be put away quickly are now saying the only reason it went 10 is because Mayweather wanted it to.

Good lads. :pac:

I love Conor and wanted to believe, but you're mental if you think Mayweather wasn't a million miles ahead of McG. He literally didn't throw a punch in first 3, seemed like he had bet on a finish in 8 or 9.

Conor looked like a plumber at the end, Floyd looked like he barely broke sweat.

Conor was happy at the end cos he is bloody minted now.

• Advertisement

To be fair bro, I am happy that the fight was stopped early and kept Conors chin for future MMA fights. Conor is a potential GOAT in mma, lets not have him damaged by a circus boxing fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Some people it would seem can't tell the difference between punches that are gassing someone and punches that are hurting someone......... none of those punches were hurting McGregor, he just had nothing left in the tank.

Floyd has amazing cardio. That's what won him the fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

everlast75 wrote: »
    He said himself he couldn't. He said he needed to be cautious and figure him out.

If Floyd came out to knock Conor out the winner could have been different

Sorry but if you believe Floyd then you need a word with yourself.

The gulf was a chasm as expected and understandably

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Ah come on, stop with that ****e. It's over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

Wasn't an early stoppage mcgregor was gone I'm a Conor fan wanted him to keep going but even I was shouting at the TV to stop it before he got hurt

Conor did well can be proud of himself lasted a lot longer than many would if they stepped in that ring so fair play to him
    Better man won by far floyds an animal

If floyds wants one more il jump in for a knock........... For 30million no bothers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Was wondering how soon the whole 'wonder how long Floyd would last in MMA' nonsense would begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,353 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Men against boys including there. McGregor was struggling after 2 rounds. Mayweather didn't start hitting properly until round 6

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭chewythefirst

did no one else notice that floyed turned his back every time conor got the upper hand so the ref would brake them up and when conor got the lovely body shot and started raining down punishment floyed again turned his back to get the ref to step in and conor kept going cos that was the 16-17 time floyed turned his back on him and the ref separated them long enough so floyed would have time to recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Watched it on a Showtime stream. The American commentators were a lot more complimentary to McGregor than the Brits seem to have been and had it a lot closer than the official scorecard (as did I).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Getting a right laugh out of the boxing heads playing down floyds brilliance now that mcgregor was able to hang with him for ten rounds. Funny aswel to think back on all the guys who laughed at Schaub saying he'd pick up rounds!

darced wrote: »
    Well its finally over, Conors cardio let him down again, threw way too many punches. He had some nice moments early on before being gassed in three bloody rounds.

It's mad that he started gassing after 9 minutes. There has to be big questions for him here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ah Wonder... Just admit you were very very wrong.

Sure he covered literally every angle of possible results. He was 'right' either way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Took Mayweather 10 rounds to figure a guy out who doesn't even box. Referee stepped in way to early also trying to protect the boxing brand. Never called Mayweather out once despite three elbows. It's no wonder UFC is gaining popularity and boxing is losing it.

Wouldn't call it figuring him out, just more going through the motions and gears. Mayweather never looked troubled and controlled the fight as he saw fit. It's just how he does things; defensive and risk averse. The lads on commentating on sky box office were bias of course, but they ultimately called it right: Mayweather ended it when he wanted to.

Immense respect for McGregor to do what he did tonight, he was just facing a master of that specific ring. No shame in defeat.

did no one else notice that floyed turned his back every time conor got the upper hand so the ref would brake them up and when conor got the lovely body shot and started raining down punishment floyed again turned his back to get the ref to step in and conor kept going cos that was the 16-17 time floyed turned his back on him and the ref separated them long enough so floyed would have time to recover.

Most of the time Floyd wasn't turning his back, McGregor was pivoting around him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

bajer101 wrote: »
    Watched it on a Showtime stream. The American commentators were a lot more complimentary to McGregor than the Brits seem to have been and had it a lot closer than the official scorecard (as did I).

Yeah they were very unbiased to be fair.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Sure he covered literally every angle of possible results. He was 'right' either way

No I didn't. I Said Floyd would win easily. I actually thought he'd win inside 4, I got that wrong in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,293 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

One of the boxer commentators to mma commentator

Boxer - *laughing* "So can we now say we are better than you?"

MMA guy - "can i kick you in the leg first?"

Boxer *shíts himself*

• Advertisement

It's mad that he started gassing after 9 minutes. There has to be big questions for him here.

He was puffing towards the end of the second.

Advertisement