Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayweather vs McGregor - Event Thread **MOD WARNING POST 1- DO NOT IGNORE!!**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Also, moving away from the never ending tit for tat back and forth, anyone want to talk seriously about McGregor's cardio? He was more controlled than I thought he'd be and was still blowing heavily before the end of the second round.

Does not say a lot for his camp or cardio programme.

Are you questioning Dr. Dalby and the McGregor FAST system?

HOW DARE YOU!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Also, moving away from the never ending tit for tat back and forth, anyone want to talk seriously about McGregor's cardio? He was more controlled than I thought he'd be and was still blowing heavily before the end of the second round.

I wonder does he seem to have some type of medical issue - he seems to be out of breath quite quickly in all his fights and I can't imagine it is because he is not training hard enough....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Well Yeah.
    Pretty much played out the way deep down everybody knew it would play out.
    The mind can play dirty tricks :-D

I don't give much credit to Conor for lasting that deep, I think the majority of Profesional fighters would of lasted against Floyd as he didn't do anything,
    but when he did it was over.
    An aggressive boxer would have Conor dispatched in no time.

The Gulf in class was huge and the difference in conditioning is huge also.
    You wouldn't know by looking at Floyd in the ring if it was before the fight or after the fight.

Both disciplines are very different ,
    For me it's obvious boxing is way ahead of MMA in how far evolved it has become and what you need to be capable of to get to the top.

Boxers are fitter, sharper and better at what they do than an MMA fighter is at what they do.
    Only because it's older and has evolved over a way longer period.
    To get to the top in boxing you need to be 100%. They are at the limit of what the human body can do boxing wise because to get there you have to be.

MMA is still young and the next generation of fighters will be that bit sharper, fitter and better than who's there now.
    I don't think Current MMA fighters are at the potential of what the human body can do MMA wise , not because they are bad but because they don't need to be to get to the top.
    The next person coming up will be that bit better.
    I think it will be a long time before any MMA fighter will be as fit and have the endurance of a boxer.
    Or maybe they will never need it.
    But the fitness levels and conditioning are miles apart.

Example we have Daniel Cormier rightful light heavy weight champ,
    Moving up to heavy weight maybe?
    Compare him to Wladimir Klitschko 41? in body conditioning and endurance and fitness.
    There is not a gram of Fat on Klitchsko
    And Cormier looks like he had Macdonalds for breakfast lunch and dinner.

Anyway I'm rambling.
    The fight was Sh*te, the Gulf in talent , fitness , conditioning, speed , technique and even power ; (Yes Conor couldn't have knocked out Floyd if Floyd let him punch him in the face) is Massive.

MMA has a long way to go yet as a sport if it's to get to the same levels of human body conditioning that is required in boxing to get to the top.
    Roy nelson being another example. :-D
    In 40 or 50 years there will probably no hope of even beating a top level amateur in an MMA if you are carrying fat and have the conditioning of some MMA fighters that are at the top of the sport now.
    It's still evolving at a rapid pace compared to boxing which has been at it peak for a good while.

Anyway.
    That's not a knock on anything MMA , I'd still prefer to watch Roy nelson fight Daniel Cormier than watch the Canello ,GGG or whatever it is fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Lt Dan wrote: »
    What did Mayweather take? 1 upper cut and the rest hit to the arms and the odd punch to the body. Did Mayweather wobble?

2 years out of the ring.Remember that

You're watching a whole different fight.

1:20 below, Conor does a lovely outside slip and lands clean with a short counter check hook plum on the nose.

I could literally link you to a half-a-dozen punches that landed cleanly with force to snap his head back.

https://twitter.com/UFCONFOX/status/901692884155490306

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

You're watching a whole different fight.

1:20 below, Conor does a lovely outside slip and lands clean with a short counter check hook plum on the nose.

I could literally link you to a half-a-dozen punches that landed cleanly with force to snap his head back.

https://twitter.com/UFCONFOX/status/901692884155490306

Was there any purchase? Did if affect Mayweather? NO

Tippy Tappy

Look at their faces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It certainly doesn't - works fine for MMA where the rounds are more grueling and longer, and there are five of them (though he has looked leggy at the end of fights before), but they really needed to be ready for 12 x 3 mins. Shows that they weren't looking to out-box Mayweather over many rounds either, but Mayweather has fought many serious punchers and has rarely ever even been rocked, so it's an eventuality they needed significantly more of a plan for than they had.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,170 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I dunno... Jon Jones was a white belt until recently for example...

There are active competitive Irish blue belts who'd sub McGregor handily in competition for my money.
    Jones, Mighty Mouse, Khabib, Fedor, Jeff Monson, etc etc
    Sure they are all unranked in jiu jitsu. But it's a bit misleading to equate any of them with boxer level white-beltness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

snowflaker wrote: »
    Attendance was 14,623 at T-Mobile Arena. That's not a sellout at this configuration, but there didn't seem to be many empty seats, either.
    Canelo-Chavez drew 20,500 at T-Mobile Arena. Floyd-Conor had 14,623, but the arena was configured for fewer seats tonight.

Yeah but "all the stars were there". ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Was there any purchase? Did if affect Mayweather? NO

Tippy Tappy

He landed solid.

He got outclassed in the end but he landed some beautiful counters and offensive attacks. I'm fully aware Floyd coasted the first 3 rounds but he coasts the first 3 rounds in every fight. If Conor was some numpty he would have lost every round despite the coasting.

Look, he lost. Simple as. You can say what you want but he didn't freeze, he didn't quit and he left on his feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

He thinks the last 3 shots glanced off him? 1 put him backwards across the ring ffs.

Mellor wrote: »
    Jones, Mighty Mouse, Khabib, Fedor, Jeff Monson, etc etc
    Sure they are all unranked in jiu jitsu. But it's a bit misleading to equate any of them with boxer level white-beltness.

Khabib is a 2 time NAGA world champion. Not bad for a white belt :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Billy86 wrote: »
    Shows that they weren't looking to out-box Mayweather over many rounds either,

They almost certainly weren't but surely they expected him to go five or six before tiring? He came out aggressive but it was hardly Hagler-Hearns pace. He was beginning to suck and blow by the end of the second and visibly tiring in the third. He's an incredible athlete and obviously in phenomenal shape but that shouldn't be happening that quickly.

He got outclassed in the end

He got outclassed. Period.

It was a completely one sided miss match.

He landed solid.

He got outclassed in the end but he landed some beautiful counters and offensive attacks. I'm fully aware Floyd coasted the first 3 rounds but he coasts the first 3 rounds in every fight. If Conor was some numpty he would have lost every round despite the coasting.

Look, he lost. Simple as. You can say what you want but he didn't freeze, he didn't quit and he left on his feet.

He lost, he got outclassed, and he could not fight for more than 9 minutes, you can take nothing from it . Nothing. He said that he would knock Mayweather out within 2, he came no where near it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

This thread has now gone full retard.

If you have to quote what someone says out of context, then you can't be too confident in your view of the fight. I didn't say in isolation that he wasn't outboxed, I said it in context to an overall point, which you know well.

Now, I'll repeat my point and maybe this time you can address it without resorting to doing something as retarded as quoting half a sentence and pretending that it was the sum total of my views on the fight.

What I actually said was that McGregor was not outboxed in the fight until the point at which he gassed out and at that stage had no energy to defend to any great degree. There were no punches thrown in the fight from Floyd that McGregor wasn't easily dealing with before he gassed.

He lost the fight because Floyd's cardio is far superior, not because he was rocked or outboxed to the degree that Conor had no defense for his shots.......... it was just the accumulation of shots when he was gassed that led to the TKO not some huge gulf in class which some are suggesting.

If you have to quote what someone says out of context, then you can't be too confident in your view of the fight.

Now, I'll repeat my point and maybe this time you can address it without resorting to doing something as retarded as quoting half a sentence and pretending that it's the sum total of my views on the fight.

What I actually said was that McGregor was not outboxed in the fight until the point at which he gassed out and then had no energy to defend. There were no punches thrown in the fight from Floyd that McGregor wasn't easily dealing with before he gassed.

He lost the fight because Floyd's cardio is far superior, not because he was rocked or outboxed to the degree that Conor had no defense for his shots.......... it was just the accumulation of shots when he was gassed that led to the TKO not some huge gulf in class which some are suggesting.

article-2432922-18472EF100000578-249_634x346.jpg

Khabib is a 2 time NAGA world champion. Not bad for a white belt :P

Pity he is not professional enough to make weight or just go up another division

• Registered Users Posts: 13,977 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I enjoyed the spectacle for what it was, I don't feel robbed or conned I knew what I was buying into.

I'm just disappointed in Mcgregor's cardio. I seem to remember him being questioned about it in the build up and he was confident he could last 12 and had done so in sparring (apologies if I am making that up, and I know sparring is a different game).

I know he has confidence in everything he does and I admire that, but I never expected him to be gassed that early.

Pity he is not professional enough to make weight or just go up another division

He'll make weight, and he'll send people flying on Dagestani Airways, guaranteed.

• Advertisement

If you have to quote what someone says out of context, then you can't be too confident in your view of the fight. I didn't say in isolation that he wasn't outboxed, I said it in context to an overall point, which you know well.

Now, I'll repeat my point and maybe this time you can address it without resorting to doing something as retarded as quoting half a sentence and pretending that it was the sum total of my views on the fight.

What I actually said was that McGregor was not outboxed in the fight until the point at which he gassed out and at that stage had no energy to defend to any great degree. There were no punches thrown in the fight from Floyd that McGregor wasn't easily dealing with before he gassed.

Got beaten because Mayweather's cardio was superior? Eh, no, his cardio did not even match an average pro boxer, who was not completed dominated by his opponent . He was gone by 3 rounds. 9 minutes. :confused: ,

What you said Pete, verbatim, was
    ...but McGregor wasn't outboxed, he was gassed out...... Floyd didn't hurt him...

He clearly gassed. He was clearly outboxed. He clearly got hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

article-2432922-18472EF100000578-249_634x346.jpg

This kind of obnoxious bollox doesn't mean anything........... it's just playing to the gallery bollox.

If you want to argue that McGregor's cardio didn't play a crucial role in him gassing and then ultimately being able to be easily picked apart, then argue it.............

Wonder, what do you make of the cardio issue?

What you said Pete, verbatim, was

He clearly gassed. He was clearly outboxed. He clearly got hurt.

No, you see Conor said in the interview with Megan Olivi that he wasn't hurt, despite looking like bambi on ice and being unable to defend himself, so it MUST have been an early stoppage.

This kind of obnoxious bollox doesn't mean anything........... it's just playing to the gallery bollox.

If you want to argue that McGregor's cardio didn't play a crucial role in him gassing and then ultimately being easy to pick apart, then argue it.............

He got out classed, out boxed, he got hurt and he got stopped.

He gassed because his technique is sloppy, he loaded up on everything, threw a ton of nothing arm punches and was throwing at air for most of the night, and because Floyd was catching him with straight rights and jabs to the body at will.

He didn't just gas for no reason, he was getting picked apart and got hurt and stopped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

He admitted his cardio is ****ed and he can't figure out why.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Totally outclassed. Excellent attempt though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,116 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Toyed with by a guy who never left second gear or broke sweat.

Should be a humbling learning experience but given the excuses and smoke blowing it will be wasted.

Back to mma anyway now so he doesn't get seriously hurt by a spiteful puncher, a good business transaction I suppose

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

tedpan wrote: »
    Totally outclassed. Excellent attempt though.

This is it. There is no shame in being outclassed by Mayweather. McGregor certainly did not disgrace himself and gets due credit for doing significantly better then expected, but a lot of that is polished by the fact that Floyd took the first three rounds off to just get used to him and let him tire, like he does in all his fights. Floyd threw more punches in the 4th round than the previous three combined.

McGregor can hold his head high but that doesn't for a second change the disparity in skillset or gulf in class, and that's accounting for the fact that at 40 years of age and two years out of the ring, Floyd was clearly a shadow of the boxer who fought Pacquiao and Canelo, never mind the one who fought de la Hoya and Hatton.

The result of the fight was a foregone conclusion from the moment the contracts were signed.

Advertisement